Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Found this on Twitter. An explanation for the Grinch leak. Yeah, it really was done as a troll lmao.

Considering its impact on the Smash community's reception of the final roster, they must be pretty damn proud of themselves right now.

Well, just finished watching the final direct and while I wish I could feel more excited about the game, I don't know, it felt kind of underwhelming to me personally.

People have been assuming Ken since the echo fighter concept so seeing him isn't that surprising but I don't have much else to say about him since I am not a Street Fighter fan.

Incineroar is imo the worst newcomer to end on and not only that but they once again just using a Pokémon form the recent generation and one that doesn't even seem that popular outside Japan. They got lucky with Greninja but Incineroar just screams "NO!!!" to me especially since if they really wanted a fire type Pokémon with a fighting aesthetic there was the more popular Blaziken and its not like gen 3 had a remake recently when smash ultimate's roster was being decided. But I guess Incineroar was picked to appeal to Japan because he is popular there or something?

Honestly I found Pirahna Plant the most interesting newcomer from this direct. I don't know why but I just found the idea of it being playable hilarious. 10/10 best pick ever smash devs. The only thing I didn't like was that to get Pirahna Plant for free you have to buy the game directly from Nintendo's website or the eshop which I won't be able to due so since I already preordered the game for $50 from Amazon and I don't remember seeing how much he was otherwise.

As for assist trophies I am really I actually correctly predicted Black Knight and Tiki (no Caeda or Azura though) since I never did bought the idea of Black Knight being an Ike echo and Tiki makes sense since she is an iconic character to the franchise. I am especially glad seeing Tiki since she is one of my favorites and I believe is the first FE character in smash attacking without a sword even if it just as an assist trophy. Also found it kind of weird that Tiki's and Black Knight's voice clips are reused from Heroes.

Other than that online mode doesn't interest me in the least because nothing will convince me to purchase their Switch subscription program and I have no comments on Spirits Mode/Adventure Mode/SSE 2.0 outside of hoping Anna is a spirit you can collect. Glad to see Yoshi's final smash finally (nice reference to Melee's opening movie) though we still don't know what Robin is going to do for their final smash (is it still Pair Up or is it going to be Grima blasting the screen) nor do we know if Ray Chase is voicing Roy (pretty sure he is though).

Edited by NSSKG151

7 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Honestly I found Pirahna Plant the most interesting newcomer from this direct. I don't know why but I just found the idea of it being playable hilarious. 10/10 best pick ever smash devs. The only thing I didn't like was that to get Pirahna Plant for free you have to buy the game directly from Nintendo's website or the eshop which I won't be able to due so since I already preordered the game for $50 from Amazon and I don't remember seeing how much he was otherwise.

To get PP for free for a physical copy, you need to register the game for Gold Points before the promo end date.  The registration happens automatically with EShop purchases IIRC (and possibly Nintendo's website, though IDK about that for certain).

22 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

The only thing I didn't like was that to get Pirahna Plant for free you have to buy the game directly from Nintendo's website or the eshop which I won't be able to due so since I already preordered the game for $50 from Amazon and I don't remember seeing how much he was otherwise.

You can get Piranha Plant for free with a physical copy. Inside the game case should be a code you can redeem on My Nintendo for gold coins, and doing so also earns you free Piranha Plant.

2 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

To get PP for free for a physical copy, you need to register the game for Gold Points before the promo end date.  The registration happens automatically with EShop purchases IIRC (and possibly Nintendo's website, though IDK about that for certain).

2 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

You can get Piranha Plant for free with a physical copy. Inside the game case should be a code you can redeem on My Nintendo for gold coins, and doing so also earns you free Piranha Plant.

Ah, I see thanks. I must have not been paying that much attention if they mentioned it during the direct.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Never mind, Rena Strober just confirmed she didn't sing the new Lifelight song.

Oh.

It’s obviously Silque’s VA, then. ;D

I feel weird saying the most hype thing for me was... Shantae as a Spirit. It's not that I'm not really excited for anything else, Incineroar looks really fun and I love the thing. I just got... extremely excited over Shantae being a Spirit. I wanted her in in some form and after the Shovel Knight reveal as an assist trophy I was pretty much just hoping for a Trophy at best. And... yay!

Anyways Incineroar looks fun, Piranha Plant looks fun, overall excited.

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Considering its impact on the Smash community's reception of the final roster, they must be pretty damn proud of themselves right now.

Good. I'm glad that a roster that added Incineroar and Piranha Plant over characters that people actually wanted was set up to get as much backlash as possible. People deserve better than accepting low expectations when everything comes at a price.

Would it really have that hard to add... pretty much anyone on the Assist Trophy page instead, honestly? Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Krystal, Skull Kid, Lyn, Black Knight, Ashley, Midna, Shovel Knight... I'd argue that even Dillon, Yuri, Sukapon, the ghost of Saki Amamiya (why is he gone sakurai explain yourself), and the Prince of Sablé would have been much better. But nope, gotta add the obligatory advertising mon and a joke character in a game that already has Pichu, Jigglypuff, Wii Fit Trainer, and several other characters that could potentially qualify like Duck Hunt.

If you're going to be that tone-deaf in your roster-decision making process, you don't deserve praise. The Grinch roster demonstrated how easy it was to make a roster that would have pleased most people (even if you remove the unique third-parties!), and if it's done anything to make Sakurai's failure to do so more apparent, I'm glad it happened.

Edited by Iridium

4 minutes ago, Iridium said:

Good. I'm glad that a roster that added Incineroar and Piranha Plant over characters that people actually wanted was set up to get as much backlash as possible. People deserve better than accepting low expectations when everything has an opportunity cost.

Would it really have that hard to add... pretty much anyone on the Assist Trophy page instead, honestly? Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Krystal, Skull Kid, Lyn, Black Knight, Ashley, Midna, Shovel Knight... I'd argue that even Dillon, Yuri, Sukapon, the ghost of Saki Amamiya (why is he gone sakurai explain yourself), and the Prince of Sablé would have been much better. But nope, gotta add the obligatory advertising mon and a joke character in a game that already has Pichu, Jigglypuff, Wii Fit Trainer, and several other characters that could potentially qualify like Duck Hunt.

If you're going to be that tone-deaf in your roster-decision making process, you don't deserve praise. The Grinch roster demonstrated how easy it was to make a roster that would have pleased most people (even if you remove the unique third-parties!), and if it's done anything to make Sakurai's failure to do so more apparent, I'm glad it happened.

Honestly, I find it more rude that they made a leak that drastically inflated everyone’s expectations over a game that has already given folks more than enough. Especially since Sakurai and his team effectively jumped straight into this in the midst of DLC for Smash 4 without arguably that much time to sit back and appreciate some some time off.

5 hours ago, Etheus said:

I. Hate. Incineroar. It's a stupid design for a boring Pokemon. Decidueye was the only correct answer for Gen 7.

Agreed, though my brother and I personally would prefer Sceptile over Decidueye. Maybe we could get both? Decidueye as a brand new character, and Sceptile as a Greninja Echo?

21 minutes ago, Iridium said:

Yes, because photoshopping a blurry fake banner to have an unreasonable amount of new characters, many of whom being community favorites, is as easy as constructing, modeling, and rebalancing fighters in a video game over the course of several years, alongside bringing back all the old ones including those who weren't in Smash 4, to create a game that is by far the largest and most diverse fighting game in history.

13 minutes ago, Dai said:

Honestly, I find it more rude that they made a leak that drastically inflated everyone’s expectations over a game that has already given folks more than enough. Especially since Sakurai and his team effectively jumped straight into this in the midst of DLC for Smash 4 without arguably that much time to sit back and appreciate some some time off.

To me, the fault there lies not so much with the fake-leakers, but with the gullible community who swallowed it hook line and sinker and then had the audacity to direct complaints at the real roster when it turned out to not align with the fake one they felt entitled to. Don't get me wrong, the fake-leakers are narcissistic douchebags but they're only stoking the fire for shiggles, not starting it or letting it burn for so long. The Smash community dousing themselves in gasoline and hunting for matches is way worse, to the point that I almost can't blame the fake-leakers for deliberately provoking them.

Edited by Anomalocaris

8 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Yes, because photoshopping a blurry fake banner to have an unreasonable amount of new characters, many of whom being community favorites, is as easy as constructing, modeling, and rebalancing fighters in a video game over the course of several years, alongside bringing back all the old ones including those who weren't in Smash 4, to create a game that is by far the largest and most diverse fighting game in history.

To me, the fault there lies not so much with the fake-leakers, but with the gullible community who swallowed it hook line and sinker and then had the audacity to direct complaints at the real roster when it turned out to not align with the fake one they felt entitled to. Don't get me wrong, the fake-leakers are narcissistic douchebags but they're only stoking the fire for shiggles, not starting it or letting it burn for so long. The Smash community dousing themselves in gasoline and hunting for matches is way worse, to the point that I almost can't blame the fake-leakers for deliberately provoking them.

That is true, and this is exactly why every leak should be taken with a grain of salt. It does further prove how entitled the community is, though.

1 minute ago, Dai said:

That is true, and this is exactly why every leak should be taken with a grain of salt. It does further prove how entitled the community is, though.

Falsely entitled.

Grammatical pet peeve of mine. "Entitled" on its own means the subject actually does deserve whatever they're complaining about.

4 hours ago, Landmaster said:

Pretty sure it's Decidueye but either way, the wrestling Pokemon was the obvious choice to make as a fighter. IDk how Primarina would even move around the stage~

No; no he wasn't. Decidueye was the obvious choice. Decidueye's more popular, provides more balance in the pokemon roster by being a grass-type starter, and is primarily an archer; giving him more originality. Incineroar's just another slow fist fighter that I'm half-surprised wasn't a Bowser or Donkey Kong Echo. 

Plus, if Piranha Plant can move around the stage, I'm sure Primarina can.

By the way, what's with the amount of Awakening in this game? I'm fine with Lucina and Robin since they were in Smash 4, and Tiki's great because it adds to the FE assist trophies. But still; Chrom, Robin, Lucina, Tiki… Anyone else noticing a pattern? Meanwhile characters like Micaiah and Ephraim that people wanted added to the roster are just spirits. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Grima appears as a boss (which, admittedly, would be pretty cool due the possessed Robin gimmick and Grima being both the boss and the stage. Massive missed opportunity though if he doesn't tilt or roll over). 

4 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Falsely entitled.

Grammatical pet peeve of mine. "Entitled" on its own means the subject actually does deserve whatever they're complaining about.

Fair enough, I suppose. Regardless...it’s just silly. We got so mich as it is. Anything else would be icing, but the leak soured it all.

I'm not ashamed to admit that those guys got me - but can we lay off on the "gullible community" falling for it? Those guys planned it out extensively, and everything seemed to add up.

After rewatching the direct a couple of times, I'm very slowly warming up to Incineroar. There's a lot of personality, and it's so brutal, hahah.

1 hour ago, Iridium said:

Good. I'm glad that a roster that added Incineroar and Piranha Plant over characters that people actually wanted was set up to get as much backlash as possible. People deserve better than accepting low expectations when everything comes at a price.

Can't believe i have to post this again

Dq7OBftVYAAIoHZ?format=jpg

19 minutes ago, Lau said:

I'm not ashamed to admit that those guys got me - but can we lay off on the "gullible community" falling for it

I mean, to be fair, most of the communnity ate it up and it was probably the most convincing fake leak we'll get. A lot of people thought the leak was real and the worst of them attacked people for saying otherwise. 

Edited by Armagon

@Iridium

When I made that comment I wasn't complementing the fact the leak overhyped this direct. It's the one thing I hate about these leaks actually, they set impossibly high expectations, which I think is completely unfair to the developers. People need to be more grateful for what we got rather than complaining about what we didn't in my opinion. Even a single character needs so much time and effort put into them to make them fully realized additions to the roster. I get why people think assist trophies snub a lot of great characters, but if you take a step back and are aware of how much work would be needed to turn them all into playable fighters, this game would have been in development till 2022. I'm not saying everyone needs to love every single character put in the game, but I do wish people wouldn't get so caught up in the fantasy of their own perfect little roster tailor made for their tastes to the point where they can't except it when they don't get it.

36 minutes ago, Lau said:

I'm not ashamed to admit that those guys got me - but can we lay off on the "gullible community" falling for it? Those guys planned it out extensively, and everything seemed to add up.

There's a difference between simply getting innocently deceived by a leak (what I presume you did) and turning the community into a toxic waste dump by latching onto it, treating it with 100% certainty, insulting people who show even the slightest skepticism toward it, and then raging like a spoiled child when it turns out to be fake because you got your expectations unreasonably high (which I presume you didn't do).

It's a very impressive leak so I don't fault people for thinking or wishing it could have been real, just for letting it consume them.

Edited by Anomalocaris