Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

I was so hooked on the first Al direct, I immediately bought the digital copy, which means I basically can't do anything else with my Switch until I get a micro SD card. On the plus side I won't have to wait to import it and might even be able to play it tonight depending on when they consider the 7th to be.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Alright everyone, some one's got to post it.

Reveal hidden contents

This hits me right in the feelings every time. This was very much needed today.

Edited by PeaceRibbon
Redacted Compromising Text

Hey hi, I'm usually at the FE Heroes section. I didn't even realize there was not just an entire side to the forum dedicated to other games, but Smash Bros specifically.

8 hours left until the US release... wow. The year felt like it took it's time all because of this one game, and now here we stand, 8 hours left...

Have the game. How do I get my hands on Piranha plant? Is there some kind of place to input a download code or something? I tried doing it via the EShop but it says the code has already been used, yet Piranha Plant isn't in my roster.

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Have the game. How do I get my hands on Piranha plant? Is there some kind of place to input a download code or something? I tried doing it via the EShop but it says the code has already been used, yet Piranha Plant isn't in my roster.

It's not available yet.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Ah. Now I see that the planned release is February. Damn. Was looking forward to playing as a newcomer right out the gate.

You'll have to play the game normal like the rest of us plebs.  No bypassing the eight character start for you!

I understand that the game's not available in all areas yet, but can anyone explain to me why Vinny from Vinesauce - a streamer who lives in Staten Island, New York - is playing it right now while I still have to wait?

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

You'll have to play the game normal like the rest of us plebs.  No bypassing the eight character start for you!

I understand that the game's not available in all areas yet, but can anyone explain to me why Vinny from Vinesauce - a streamer who lives in Staten Island, New York - is playing it right now while I still have to wait?

They've probably got the digital version.

Spoiler

Ganon is a boss in this game! Man I've needed that so much. Loved the Giga Bowser fight in Melee and was slightly disappointed he was only an invincible Final Smash in Brawl and Smash 4. Now a Final Smash can be a legitimate enemy to fight against in certain modes.

7 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I have the digital version and I can confirm, at least in mid-Oregon USA, the game is not available yet.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But I have the digital version, too, and my time zone is only two hours apart from New York.

Unless I'm actually gonna receive the game in about an hour or so.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

But I have the digital version, too, and my time zone is only two hours apart from New York.

Unless I'm actually gonna receive the game in about an hour or so.

He probably bought the digital Japanese version which has been out for several hours. Every version has all languages and the Switch is region free, so there's no issue on that.

Well it seems that basically everyone has the game now so I'll ask a question: does unlocking a character in World of Light unlock them for use in other modes, or do you have to unlock them separately? I want to unlock everyone the "traditional" way but I don't want to hold off on playing World of Light until then.

6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Well it seems that basically everyone has the game now so I'll ask a question: does unlocking a character in World of Light unlock them for use in other modes, or do you have to unlock them separately? I want to unlock everyone the "traditional" way but I don't want to hold off on playing World of Light until then.

As far as I know / have heard, unlocking someone in WoL unlocks them for use anywhere else.

16 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Yeah, it's essentially that if you get them from playing one game mode, they're available in all modes.

Also noteworthy, it seems that there aren't any particular milestones for unlocking characters through simple matches.  You just play and you'll get a challenger; there's apparently a pattern to these unlocks, but I forgot what it is.  The way they space out these challenger matches is through a hidden timer that keeps you from getting new challengers until the time is up, though people have bypassed that by essentially resetting the game.  And playing through Classic mode with every character that becomes available for you should unlock the whole cast.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah, it's essentially that if you get them from playing one game mode, they're available in all modes.

Also noteworthy, it seems that there aren't any particular milestones for unlocking characters through simple matches.  You just play and you'll get a challenger; there's apparently a pattern to these unlocks, but I forgot what it is.  The way they space out these challenger matches is through a hidden timer that keeps you from getting new challengers until the time is up, though people have bypassed that by essentially resetting the game.  And playing through Classic mode with every character that becomes available for you should unlock the whole cast.

Fastest way to unlock characters:

1.- Play a Vs. Match of 1 stock.
2.- Fight a new challenger and win to unlock them.
3.- Go to options and change language. The game will do a quick reset.
4.- Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 around 64 times.
5.- Profit.

From what I looked up it seems all the unlock conditions are just "complete vs. matches" and "complete Classic Mode with so-and-so character", so I guess I won't worry about "ruining" the unlocking experience through World of Light since there isn't much of a special experience to ruin.

Edited by Lightchao42

15 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

You just play and you'll get a challenger; there's apparently a pattern to these unlocks, but I forgot what it is. 

Yeah, there is a set order in which they'll show up via playing VS matches. Smash Wiki claims that it goes:

Spoiler

1. Ness
2. Zelda
3. Bowser
4. Pit
5. Inkling
6. Villager
7. Marth
8. Young Link
9. Wii Fit Trainer
10. Ice Climbers
11. Captain Falcon
12. Peach
13. Ryu
14. Ike
15. Jigglypuff
16. King K. Rool
17. Sonic
18. Simon
19. Zero Suit Samus
20. Little Mac
21. Isabelle
22. Shulk
23. Lucina
24. Wario
25. Ridley
26. Pokemon Trainer
27. Lucario
28. Daisy
29. Roy
30. King Dedede
31. R.O.B.
32. Falco
33. Luigi
34. Pichu
35. Richter
36. Diddy Kong
37. Meta Knight
38. Snake
39. Ganondorf
40. Corrin
41. Mega Man
42. Bayonetta
43. Toon Link
44. Rosalina and Luma
45. Incineroar
46. Sheik
47. Olimar
48. Pac-Man
49. Dark Samus
50. Wolf
51. Mr. Game & Watch
52. Robin
53. Dark Pit
54. Cloud
55. Duck Hunt
56. Ken
57. Greninja
58. Chrom
59. Mewtwo
60. Bowser Jr.
61. Dr. Mario
62. Palutena

Note: Yeah, it didn't list Lucas. Apparently no one is entirely sure where he goes in the order.

Edited by Tybrosion