Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

2 hours ago, Ressueah said:

I may be remembering wrong, but I believe Reggie said all the DLC would be like Joker, new franchises not seen in Smash yet.

I believe so that would be very strange for Nintendo unless they gain from it(which I'm sure Joker will for the mainline Persona games coming over). But if that's true I guess Nintendo is actually going the unexpected route than what people expected from them which would be refreshing!

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

I believe so that would be very strange for Nintendo unless they gain from it(which I'm sure Joker will for the mainline Persona games coming over). But if that's true I guess Nintendo is actually going the unexpected route than what people expected from them which would be refreshing!

To be honest, I kind if hope for a workaround so Paper Mario can get in. I won’t complain about what we do get, though.

57 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Not happening. Sakurai said during the DLC portion of the Smash Direct that no Echo Fighters will be among the 5 new ones and the DLC package only gives you 1 Fighter, 1 Stage and 1 soundtrack. Pretty sure that extends to the newcomers as well and no way that the other 4 are going to break that after this announcement.

Then my interest dropped a lot. Good thing I didn’t get the fighter pass thing. They could’ve pulled a Ken with Yu, Door-Kun or Itsuki. 

1 hour ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Not that it isn't off the table, put they put Snake in Brawl with absolutely no hint of a Metal Gear game on the Wii or DS. There wasn't any main stream Final Fantasy titles floating around on Switch when Cloud got into Smash 4 either. So as far as Nintendo are concerned, people buying the game and/or DLC for the character is what's in it for them. Cross promotion is a major factor, but that doesn't make things a guarantee.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Not that it isn't off the table, put they put Snake in Brawl with absolutely no hint of a Metal Gear game on the Wii or DS. There wasn't any main stream Final Fantasy titles floating around on Switch when Cloud got into Smash 4 either. So as far as Nintendo are concerned, people buying the game and/or DLC for the character is what's in it for them. Cross promotion is a major factor, but that doesn't make things a guarantee.

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes remake was on the Gamecube several years before Brawl if that counts.

3 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes remake was on the Gamecube several years before Brawl if that counts.

Well no, it wouldn't as Nintendo didn't stand to gain many sales off a game that was already four years old and on a different system to Brawl. Even taking that to be true, it would be like pointing out how Shin Megami Tensei IV and it's sequel were released on DS (along with a bunch of others including FE#TMS) so the assertion that a Persona character means a Nintendo version of a Persona game is no more true then it would have been to suggest a Metal Gear character = a new Metal Gear game on a Nintendo console.  If I managed to explain that in any coherent way. Basically the situation with Persona is no different than what we had with Metal Gear back in 2008 which didn't result in the release of a game.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well no, it wouldn't as Nintendo didn't stand to gain many sales off a game that was already four years old and on a different system to Brawl. Even taking that to be true, it would be like pointing out how Shin Megami Tensei IV and it's sequel were released on DS (along with a bunch of others including FE#TMS) so the assertion that a Persona character means a Nintendo version of a Persona game is no more true then it would have been to suggest a Metal Gear character = a new Metal Gear game on a Nintendo console.  If I managed to explain that in any coherent way. Basically the situation with Persona is no different than what we had with Metal Gear back in 2008 which didn't result in the release of a game.

Smash Bros it's not Joker first appearance on a Nintendo console was he on Persona Q2 a week ago on JP. There is no trend to these things.

3 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Smash Bros it's not Joker first appearance on a Nintendo console was he on Persona Q2 a week ago on JP. There is no trend to these things.

Brawl wasn't Snake's first appearance on a Nintendo console either. All I'm saying is that a Persona character appearing in Smash Bros is not a confirmation that Persona 5 is coming to Nintendo as we've seen on more than one occasion in the past a third party appear in Smash without being accompanied by an up coming major release.

Edited by Jotari

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Brawl wasn't Snake's first appearance on a Nintendo console either. All I'm saying is that a Persona character appearing in Smash Bros is not a confirmation that Persona 5 is coming to Nintendo as we've seen on more than one occasion in the past a third party appear in Smash without being accompanied by an up coming major release.

I'm not disagreeing with that. What are we arguing about?

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'll get back to you(well likely not) when/if its confirmed especially from a reliable source stated it will. Also Snake was from a request Kojima made with Sakurai(not Nintendo same with Cloud which was from fan demand) since their friends not because of promotion or anything.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

18 hours ago, The Priest said:

Anyone confident on their DLC picks anymore?

As a supporter of Phoenix Wright for Smash, yes, I am!

Of course, if it turns out to not be the case, it fine, since I've already had my "never ever" come true in the form of King K. Rool.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

29 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I'm taking it slow. It's fun.

I'm doing the same, though Incan easily see why someone would find it frustrating. Sakurai's "I want players to play as all the characters" idea doesn't really work out in practice I think. At least using the World of Light. I've used Marth for like 95% of all the battles (and he's not even my traditional main, it just happens that the characters I like are all unlocked towards the end of World of Light which kind of sucks) and I'm sure most people similarly use just one character exclusively until they find the one they like better.

Wanting to use every character works for Classic, but I think most players who are interested in the one player aspect of the game would play through classic with the majority of the cast anyway.

Edited by Jotari

.....right so a Ganoncide counts as a defeat for you rather than your opponent. Duly noted. I don't get the logic behind it since Ganondorf is clearly on the top when he shoves an opponent off the field with it. I thought it would be a funny way to end a battle but I just damaged my perfect classic run. 

5 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

I have only unlocked about a third of the cast yet.

No single Fire Emblem character so far :(

Did you try World of Light? Marth is available really early in that.

Edited by Water Mage

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

.....right so a Ganoncide counts as a defeat for you rather than your opponent. Duly noted. I don't get the logic behind it since Ganondorf is clearly on the top when he shoves an opponent off the field with it. I thought it would be a funny way to end a battle but I just damaged my perfect classic run. 

Well that's very upsetting. Ganoncide was one of the most fun things to do in Smash 4.

Ganondorf is much viable than he ever was. But not can the opponent mash out of Ganoncide, but Ganoncide will kill you first. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Anyway, i think i'm gonna be saving Zelda as a pocket for less intense competitive fights and for funsies. She's definitely not bottom-tier anymore but she doesn't click with me as much as i'd hoped. I really did want to at least have her as a secondary but that's not happening.

Edited by Armagon

I'll admit I spoiled myself on the soundtrack.

(So yes, spoilers for some soundtrack stuff that I loved.)

Spoiler

HOLY FUCK END OF DESPAIR HAS A TRACK. I MEAN I KNEW GENEALOGY WAS GETTING SOME SMASH REP BUT THIS IS ON ANOTHER LEVEL. I MIGHT GET A SWITCH BEFORE A LAPTOP OR PHONE. THIS IS FIRE.

I WILL NOT APOLOGISE FOR THE FIRE PUN.

Also, we have another variant for Guile's theme going with everything. Might this bring the meme back?

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Sakurai's "I want players to play as all the characters" idea doesn't really work out in practice I think. At least using the World of Light. I've used Marth for like 95% of all the battles,

Same.  Though replace "Marth" with "Marth and Snake".  I've only used two characters for most of it, and only switched it up a bit when I got one of the newcomers.

13 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I'm taking it slow. It's fun.

Yeah, I've only challenger grinded for a couple characters I really wanted (Daisy and Lucina; incidentally got K-Rool as well from doing 100 Man Smash), but aside from that I've wanted most of my unlocks to feel worth something so I opted to do them through World of Light.  Made obtaining Snake quite satisfying, especially since I was using his buddies' spirits to help me out.  I have a little story in my head about how Snake and Marth joined forces alongside Revolver Ocelot, Leif, Otacon, Simon Belmont, and others to pilot Rex and defeat the big bad before it nukes the world a second time.  Also, Donkey Kong went and visited Funky Kong, though he was knocked unconscious by bullet bills and Snake had to step in and shut them down.

Anyway, didn't post much yesterday because... well, I was busy playing Smash.  But here's literally the first thing I did besides a five-minute training session:

Spoiler

eOdcWmE.jpg

Yes, it is indeed an amazing sight, isn't it?

And another...

Spoiler

goAfHEJ.jpg

Made my version of this ugly boi.  And put him in a maid costume because I can never get enough of humiliating and tormenting this character.

There's so many frickin' Waluigi's out there, I hope there's a better one than this.

Also made a gunner, too, but didn't take a screenshot.  It was of Bulma Brief from Dragon Ball.  Will most certainly make other mii fighters, and I'll probably post pics of any Fire Emblem ones.

And while I was working towards getting Daisy and Lucina (Classic Ending spoiler pic):

Spoiler

dq3WIFO.jpg

It's like the game knows meme lords love putting Captain Falcon in that color scheme.  Look at that magnificent bastard.

And yes, my thumb got sore from this goddamn credits sequence, Smash credits sequences always do it to me.