Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

I feel its a bit of a wasted opportunity that Smash stuck with pallet swaps rather than giving alternative costumes. Some characters got extra costumes like Mario getting the wedding suit but its infinitely more important and regrettable that Bower didn't get his wedding outfit. Going with alternative costumes would have benefited a lot of characters. K Rool's very identity is based around him showing up in a different outfit each time. They could have given you multiple versions of Ganondorf, captain K rool, Masked Lucina, underwear BOTW Link or Big Boss. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

I'm not sure what I think of World of Light. It's such a mixed bag with some great fights and more than a few frustrating gimmick battles. I certainly preferred SSE. 

I like that the world has actually themed areas based around the games represented but World of Light gets really repetitive after a while and as you said, there are some frusterating fights. The Chorus Kids fight, for example, is just three Jigglypuffs spamming Sing and putting you in an eternal sleep.

I only plan to do WoL until i unlock my mains (and i already unlocked Shulk outside of that so 1/3rd of that is done). After i do that, i'll only do WoL when i feel like it.

My World of Light experience began a bit rocky since I was hunting for characters in preparation for a party. Every time I unlocked somebody in that mode which tended to take 10-15 minutes, I backed out to the main menu and another challenger was waiting for me. Definitely not the fastest unlock method, but it was nice to have some variety while I had been stressing about unlocking squirtle for my friend. Day 2 of my experience was much smoother as I began interacting with more of the spirit grinding methods and fighting the fights in front of chests and stuff. By that point my roster was 98% finished as a result of hours of versus mode. It's kind of an epic experience when you're the guy who has to take on such an angry AI as your friends cheer you on.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

K Rool's very identity is based around him showing up in a different outfit each time.

None of which have him wear his crown. Kaptain K. Rool wears a pirate hat, and Baron K. Roolenstein wears goggles.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I only plan to do WoL until i unlock my mains (and i already unlocked Shulk outside of that so 1/3rd of that is done). After i do that, i'll only do WoL when i feel like it.

You have to unlock characters in WoL to use them in WoL. As an example, the very first thing I did in the game was unlock the Mii Brawler, but I can't use him in WoL until I unlock him there.

Anyway, I finally managed to unlock Donkey Kong in WoL, and that has made it a lot easier for me, although some matches were still tough.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I feel its a bit of a wasted opportunity that Smash stuck with pallet swaps rather than giving alternative costumes. Some characters got extra costumes like Mario getting the wedding suit but its infinitely more important and regrettable that Bower didn't get his wedding outfit. Going with alternative costumes would have benefited a lot of characters. K Rool's very identity is based around him showing up in a different outfit each time. They could have given you multiple versions of Ganondorf, captain K rool, Masked Lucina, underwear BOTW Link or Big Boss. 

With everything else they did, I'm a little surprised (and disappointed) they didn't do this. Even the Project M devs regularly added new costumes, so it can't be especially hard or time-consuming.

My thoughts on the online

and of course, the matchmaking when fighting against strangers is awful.

That said, the arena system is neat, even if it is a bit odd.

Also, to the Inkling mains out there: does Inkling has any kill throws? Because my friend played Inkling against my Roy and even though i somehow made it  to 200% damage, none of Inkling's throws killed me, even at the edge of the stage.

8 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Same.  Though replace "Marth" with "Marth and Snake".  I've only used two characters for most of it, and only switched it up a bit when I got one of the newcomers.

Yeah, I've only challenger grinded for a couple characters I really wanted (Daisy and Lucina; incidentally got K-Rool as well from doing 100 Man Smash), but aside from that I've wanted most of my unlocks to feel worth something so I opted to do them through World of Light.  Made obtaining Snake quite satisfying, especially since I was using his buddies' spirits to help me out.  I have a little story in my head about how Snake and Marth joined forces alongside Revolver Ocelot, Leif, Otacon, Simon Belmont, and others to pilot Rex and defeat the big bad before it nukes the world a second time.  Also, Donkey Kong went and visited Funky Kong, though he was knocked unconscious by bullet bills and Snake had to step in and shut them down.

Anyway, didn't post much yesterday because... well, I was busy playing Smash.  But here's literally the first thing I did besides a five-minute training session:

Reveal hidden contents

eOdcWmE.jpg

Yes, it is indeed an amazing sight, isn't it?

And another...

Reveal hidden contents

goAfHEJ.jpg

Made my version of this ugly boi.  And put him in a maid costume because I can never get enough of humiliating and tormenting this character.

There's so many frickin' Waluigi's out there, I hope there's a better one than this.

Also made a gunner, too, but didn't take a screenshot.  It was of Bulma Brief from Dragon Ball.  Will most certainly make other mii fighters, and I'll probably post pics of any Fire Emblem ones.

And while I was working towards getting Daisy and Lucina (Classic Ending spoiler pic):

Reveal hidden contents

dq3WIFO.jpg

It's like the game knows meme lords love putting Captain Falcon in that color scheme.  Look at that magnificent bastard.

And yes, my thumb got sore from this goddamn credits sequence, Smash credits sequences always do it to me.

I should really have found a second character to rely on. Spent over three hours trying to beat then Geno sticker with Marth (it's a one on five battle with all the Mario RPG characters) and then best it immediately when I swapped to Bowser. It really sucks that basically all the characters I want to use seem to be at the end of the game.

Speaking of World of Light, anyone was left dumbfounded by where Fox is unlocked? Characters in World of Light are usually in places in the map that suits them. Considering the place, I was genuinely expecting Peach, but instead I got Fox.  

However some character unlock locations are actually really clever, like Lucario and Peach’s actual unlock area.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

My thoughts on the online

and of course, the matchmaking when fighting against strangers is awful.

That said, the arena system is neat, even if it is a bit odd.

Also, to the Inkling mains out there: does Inkling has any kill throws? Because my friend played Inkling against my Roy and even though i somehow made it  to 200% damage, none of Inkling's throws killed me, even at the edge of the stage.

Yeeeaaaah. There are definitely some good ideas in the new online, but some choices are really awkward. In particular the game seems to want you to stick to just one of the 70+ characters.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of World of Light, anyone was left dumbfounded by where Fox is unlocked? Characters in World of Light are usually in places in the map that suits them. Considering the place, I was genuinely expecting Peach, but instead I got Fox.  

However some character unlock locations are actually really clever, like Lucario and Peach’s actual unlock area.

Some of them are a little random. Only so much you can do with so many characters. I found Palutena's and Bayonetta's locations both funny and fitting (they are late, but also unmissable, so you'll know when you get there).

10 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

None of which have him wear his crown. Kaptain K. Rool wears a pirate hat, and Baron K. Roolenstein wears goggles.

I don't think that needs to be a problem. Either he just throws his hat/goggles or he takes out his crown in the same way as K rool puts on a pirate hat when using his blunderbus. 

I'm really surprised by the Joker announcement; mainly because I had never heard of the character (the only Joker I had ever heard of was voiced by Mark Hamill) and I know next-to-nothing about the Persona series.

I wonder how many more DLC fighters will be JRPG characters that I've never heard of.

How are the Belmonts, gameplay-wise? 

Yeesh, why the majority of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid and Kid Icarus characters all so late game in World of Light mode? I finally got Corrin and Ike and Pit is still my only Kid Icarus character.

Edited by Water Mage

45 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I seem to have hit a huge roadblock on World of Light/spirits. Getting the first legendary primary spirit is a huge pain, as the power level difference between a maxed 3 star spirit and a 4 star foe is astronomical. I don't even know how I can progress further from here.

I've cheesed a few legendary fights. Like one that takes place on the Venom stage. I just went down to the bottom and grabbed the ledge, and the opponent dipped very low offstage.where I could smack them out of their Up B, getting the kill. If you can't beat them in raw power, I suggest going for an edgeguard kill. And if you do want to win with raw power, try approaching with an aerial then a spammable Utilt. To escape an Utilt string, the AI tends to favor air dodging away rather than burning their double jump, and that creates another opening for you as you follow where they land.

Edited by Glennstavos

7 hours ago, Etheus said:

I seem to have hit a huge roadblock on World of Light/spirits. Getting the first legendary primary spirit is a huge pain, as the power level difference between a maxed 3 star spirit and a 4 star foe is astronomical. I don't even know how I can progress further from here.

Which spirit is it? Some legendary fights can actually be somewhat easy.

So I just found out (the hard way, as it potentially robbed me of a 9.9 Classic clear) that the Master Hand + Crazy Hand fight can straight-up glitch out and be rendered unwinnable. I have no idea what I did, but the game acted like Master Hand was still alive even after I killed him. Which is to say, he was still moving around and attacking but was essentially a ghost (as in, trying to attack him did nothing, and neither did killing the still alive Crazy Hand). I couldn't even kill myself via falling (I would just keep falling forever without ever getting KO'd) or pause the game (also, I'm pretty sure the timer completely stopped too).

The fact this game could use some more patching aside, Ultimate has been everything that I hoped it to be. I've finished World of Light (but am still missing a Spirit battle or two as I'm sitting at 99.67%) and quite enjoyed it for what it is.

I don't think I like the idea of having to sacrifice specific spirits for specific cores to summon specific spirits. Like...you could waste so much time raising and leveling a really good spirit, but it may be needed for an even better one?

31 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

So I just found out (the hard way, as it potentially robbed me of a 9.9 Classic clear) that the Master Hand + Crazy Hand fight can straight-up glitch out and be rendered unwinnable. I have no idea what I did, but the game acted like Master Hand was still alive even after I killed him. Which is to say, he was still moving around and attacking but was essentially a ghost (as in, trying to attack him did nothing, and neither did killing the still alive Crazy Hand). I couldn't even kill myself via falling (I would just keep falling forever without ever getting KO'd) or pause the game (also, I'm pretty sure the timer completely stopped too).

The fact this game could use some more patching aside, Ultimate has been everything that I hoped it to be. I've finished World of Light (but am still missing a Spirit battle or two as I'm sitting at 99.67%) and quite enjoyed it for what it is.

that seems pretty poop. :(

I do have to say - thanks for saying to try/keep the game. i am enjoying it. there are a lot of stuff i'm not getting lol which leads to a lot of frustration, but i can see why it's so popular (and i figure better this game and i can try everyone (FEs and Bayonetta are my favourite)

On 12/8/2018 at 1:55 AM, Necrofantasia said:

I have only unlocked about a third of the cast yet.

No single Fire Emblem character so far :(

It took me three days to get all but Robin. Roy and Lucina kept KO'ing me regardless of how much damage i gave them (though once i unlocked them i'm happy to report, that i can now do that same "hey watch me KO you like at 25% health". Corrin was easy (with Ike.)  are they just not showing up, or do you keep messing up the "Challenger Approaches" stuff? (for the most part, i get knocked off the screen and i have no idea to come back. 

Anyway, anyone else kinda bothered by the dark filter on the borders of Dracula's Castle? They don't show up in the Battlefield and Omega forms and for that reason, i prefer to play Dracula's Castle on those forms instead of it's regular form.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Anyway, anyone else kinda bothered by the dark filter on the borders of Dracula's Castle? They don't show up in the Battlefield and Omega forms and for that reason, i prefer to play Dracula's Castle on those forms instead of it's regular form.

How do you know the matchmaking is so bad if you haven't even tried it yet?

It is bad, but don't forget it's also really early. Even of those who have the game, not everyone is going online immediately.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:
2 minutes ago, Florete said:

How do you know the matchmaking is so bad if you haven't even tried it yet?

It is bad, but don't forget it's also really early. Even of those who have the game, not everyone is going online immediately.

I was thinking another issue was that the skill levels are still too early to properly level out. So, until more time passes, the exceedingly skilled may still be matched with those of lesser skill.

Twice now I've encountered the Time to Fight Xenoblade track and got super excited because it sounded like Radiant Historia.

These Spirit fights in the campaign are really endearing. They thought of every weird detail to represent them through your opponent and the spirit's effects. I do kind of wish some of them had alternate objectives not based on KOing opponents. Take the Dr. Emmerich fight for instance. You beat him up, and ROB whom I guess is the metal gear mk 2 droid from the fourth game. But wouldn't it be cool if you were protecting him from Gray Fox? Now it's a cool reference to MGS1. Then again I don't remember there being any non-KO objectives since Melee so maybe this has been a long standing issue for event matches.