Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

24 minutes ago, Florete said:

How do you know the matchmaking is so bad if you haven't even tried it yet?

I've heard literally nothing good about it. It's basically everything i feared after learning how it works during the November Smash Direct.

Until it gets fixed, i have no intention of doing Quickplay.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOKAY so Stage Morph on Palutena's Temple is horrid and do not do it. Everyone will die and the winner won't be the best of the 2-8 fighters present, but who can reach the 2nd stage before Palutena's Temple simply drags you away.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I've heard literally nothing good about it. It's basically everything i feared after learning how it works during the November Smash Direct.

Until it gets fixed, i have no intention of doing Quickplay.

The lobbies are kind of a mess too but at least less so.

5 hours ago, Xenomata said:

OOOKAY so Stage Morph on Palutena's Temple is horrid and do not do it. Everyone will die and the winner won't be the best of the 2-8 fighters present, but who can reach the 2nd stage before Palutena's Temple simply drags you away.

That sounds hilarious. Have to try it.

If there's one good thing about spirits, it makes things look all the more horrifying when you've never seen the official artwork of the character before.
latest?cb=20110812182323

That face is just wrong.

In other news, I have my first Legend spirit. Zygarde: Complete, which I obtained from enhancing 50% Zygarde. I like that healing, I really do.

16 hours ago, Etheus said:

I seem to have hit a huge roadblock on World of Light/spirits. Getting the first legendary primary spirit is a huge pain, as the power level difference between a maxed 3 star spirit and a 4 star foe is astronomical. I don't even know how I can progress further from here.

There are some spirits who, after evolution, can reach legendary level, if you have any that is. My first Legend was Ganon off a TP Ganondorf. Mind, that I obtained him from the spirit board, which is where most of my best spirits come from thanks to battle items giving an extra edge at the start of battle; my most used being 50% damage.

Alternatively, if you have princess Elincia, I'd advise investing in her. I forget which she starts at (either novice or advance) but after evolution she jumps up to Legend as a shield type

Edited by Motendra

Speaking of World of Light, who was you guys’s favorite spirit battle and boss battle?

My favorite Spirit Battle was Lyon’s, it was simple, but it was nice reference. And my favorite boss battle was Marx, and it’s so similar to the Marx battle in the Kirby games! But god, his two new attacks are terrifying! The “Eye bulging” one and the “Nerve wings” one. When you think the couldn’t make Marx more horrifying.

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

There are some spirits who, after evolution, can reach legendary level, if you have any that is. My first Legend was Ganon off a TP Ganondorf. Mind, that I obtained him from the spirit board, which is where most of my best spirits come from thanks to battle items giving an extra edge at the start of battle; my most used being 50% damage.

Alternatively, if you have princess Elincia, I'd advise investing in her. I forget which she starts at (either novice or advance) but after evolution she jumps up to Legend as a shield type

Is there a list of EX spirits anywhere yet?

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

Luckily I got Elincia as a classic mode reward. She sounds promising.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of World of Light, who was you guys’s favorite spirit battle and boss battle?

If I had to pick one Spirit Battle... I'd cheat and say the entire line of World Tour Spirit Battles. It just felt so clever how they did it.

...okay fine my favorite Spirit Battle was Ancient Minister. I was vocally shocked to realize that the ROBs were wielding "Subspace Bombs".

I kinda wanna give special mention to Tiki though. She possessed Marth, but I kinda feel like there were better ways to represent Tiki as a Spirit battle. But that led to me thinking that she might not have taken Marth as a representation of herself... and then I kinda began to feel bad for Tiki.

As for Boss Battle... I hope saying Galeem isn't a cliche answer, but Galeem was a great fight. I was kinda disappointed to see it didn't use the Ultimate Light Lasers though, though then again it wasn't weakened like Tabuu was so if it did use those lasers... well, that might have been a more frustrating fight.

Edited by Xenomata

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

If I had to pick one Spirit Battle... I'd cheat and say the entire line of World Tour Spirit Battles. It just felt so clever how they did it.

...okay fine my favorite Spirit Battle was Ancient Minister. I was vocally shocked to realize that the ROBs were wielding "Subspace Bombs".

I kinda wanna give special mention to Tiki though. She possessed Marth, but I kinda feel like there were better ways to represent Tiki as a Spirit battle. But that led to me thinking that she might not have taken Marth as a representation of herself... and then I kinda began to feel bad for Tiki.

As for Boss Battle... I hope saying Galeem isn't a cliche answer, but Galeem was a great fight. I was kinda disappointed to see it didn't use the Ultimate Light Lasers though, though then again it wasn't weakened like Tabuu was so if it did use those lasers... well, that might have been a more frustrating fight.

Tiki was represented by her assist trophy. Story wise Marth was the one she possessed (unless we hold that Assist Trophies can be possessed) but in terms of gameplay/representing the character, Tiki was the assist trophy defending/being defended by Marth. Which is actually a pretty solid way of representing her.

Okay, for how somewhat tedious World of Light was, what with the hundreds of Spirit Battles that were mandatory to do, let alone the ones I went out of my way to do, which included every single one in each subworld, and after the early parts of the game (AKA after the 2 paths you didn't pick early on are unlocked) each section of the map, and all of WoL part 2, I have to say the ending to World of Light was freaking awesome.

In the end though, I did miss 5 things... the facilities for Ryoma (who I completely missed) and Slowpoke (who I ironically forgot existed), as well as the Gym. For fighters, I forgot Richter (who to be fair the trigger for is stupid), and Luigi (lol). And I do also still have a number of Spirit Battles to complete, especially in Part 3, but really I think they can wait just a little longer, cause I need a small break from Spirit Battles...

10 hours ago, Etheus said:

Tiki was represented by her assist trophy. Story wise Marth was the one she possessed (unless we hold that Assist Trophies can be possessed) but in terms of gameplay/representing the character, Tiki was the assist trophy defending/being defended by Marth. Which is actually a pretty solid way of representing her.

I am aware of the Assist Trophy thing, but I do at least think a different character could have been used to represent Tiki herself. I mean, I'm fairly certain other Hostile Assist Trophy battles have the main fighter directly represent the character in question.

Hmm... CAN an Assist Trophy be possessed? They do technically have physical bodies, but they are all also spirits, so... how do Assist Trophies even work...

Finally finished World of Light. That took forever. Really wish it hadn't been so linear. Characters being locked behind the linear nature of it sucks. You want to play as Roy? Well too bad, he's like the last character you unlock. I know this was true for SSE, but it didn't bother me as much because you were constantly swapping characters there (which is a much better way to get the player to try out everyone, Sakurai). Still loved it overall. Couldn't pick a favorite Spirit Battle. There's just so many of them (although my completion says 99.5, so it seems I might be missing one). They got really creative and clever with the references. Really felt like a love letter to Nintendo as a whole. In terms of boss battles, I think my favorite would be Dracula. The two phases offer their own unique challenges.

I'm nearing the end of World of Light. Finally got Ridley and Robin, so now I can kick ass with my mains.

Spoiler

I knew Galeem wasn't the end of the game since some idiot on another website wouldn't shut up about Galeem and Dharkon without spoilertagging things, but nevertheless, the battle against it was a lot more intense than I was expecting for some dumb ball of light surrounded by seraphic wings. And that fight theme? Awesome.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:58 PM, daisy jane said:

this boxer guy went from like 120 - to knocking me out with one punch. it's so aggravating. 

Were you fighting Little Mac (somewhat small New Yorker-looking guy who usually wears some form of boxing garb)?  It could be his K.O. meter built up all the way - when that happens, his neutral special will become powerful enough to send his opponent off-screen even with low damage.  Usually that's built up by him getting beat up a bunch, and you'll hear a bell ring (like you'd hear at the beginning of a boxing match) when it's maxed out.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I know this was true for SSE, but it didn't bother me as much because you were constantly swapping characters there (which is a much better way to get the player to try out everyone, Sakurai).

Agreed, I don't know why Sakurai thought World of Light would've encouraged anyone to try everyone.  In about 80% of SSE (right until the end segment where you're trying to get to Taboo) you're always forced to use only a limited selection of characters at a time.  Maybe the key word is "encourage" - maybe he didn't want people to be forced to play characters.  But that word holds little meaning for gamers - they're just going to do what they want, and you'll be hard-pressed as a developer to find a passive way to manipulate them to be open-minded.

Edited by Ertrick36

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Were you fighting Little Mac (somewhat small New Yorker-looking guy who usually wears some form of boxing garb)?  It could be his K.O. meter built up all the way - when that happens, his neutral special will become powerful enough to send his opponent off-screen even with low damage.  Usually that's built up by him getting beat up a bunch, and you'll hear a bell ring (like you'd hear at the beginning of a boxing match) when it's maxed out.

Agreed, I don't know why Sakurai thought World of Light would've encouraged anyone to try everyone.  In about 80% of SSE (right until the end segment where you're trying to get to Taboo) you're always forced to use only a limited selection of characters at a time.  Maybe the key word is "encourage" - maybe he didn't want people to be forced to play characters.  But that word holds little meaning for gamers - they're just going to do what they want, and you'll be hard-pressed as a developer to find a passive way to manipulate them to be open-minded.

Another way SSE encourages it is that you have a party of characters for it. IE, when one character is KO'd you move onto the next one. While in World of Light you just use one character at a time. Unlocking another character just means it's another option. Every match save the final one is one stock. I like this for the difficulty it presents, but they could have made it so the normal and easy difficult give you two and three stocks respectively with the next stocks being secondary characters. I also would have liked some thematic matches where you're forced to use certain characters like event modes have done in the past. Not only would this have brought more diversity to the table, but it would have meant unlocking new characters would serve as an additional method to progressing through the world.

Anyone have any tips for beating the final boss with just one stock? I can't reliably get past the bit where Gleam makes two circles that cover the entire screen. Whether I'm in a position to dodge through them or not is entirely luck based. Is there any way to stop the attack before it happens or something? If anyone else has completed this challenge I'd like to hear how they did it.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Anyone have any tips for beating the final boss with just one stock? I can't reliably get past the bit where Gleam makes two circles that cover the entire screen. Whether I'm in a position to dodge through them or not is entirely luck based. Is there any way to stop the attack before it happens or something? If anyone else has completed this challenge I'd like to hear how they did it.

Do you have the Celebi Spirit? Just equip that on your strongest three-slot Primary Spirit and laugh in Galeem's face as your damage counter never rises beyond 25% during the entire finale.

Edited by Anomalocaris

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

Do you have the Celebi Spirit? Just equip that on your strongest three-slot Primary Spirit and laugh in Galeem's face as your damage counter never rises beyond 25% during the entire finale.

Pretty sure I do have Celebi, I remember doing the spirit battle, but I forget what it does. Right now I've been working with Light Suit Samus for shield healing and Slice for auto heal. It works pretty well for most of the battle, but then in the final phases they can just kill me in one or two hits no matter how well I did up until that point.

26 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Pretty sure I do have Celebi, I remember doing the spirit battle, but I forget what it does. Right now I've been working with Light Suit Samus for shield healing and Slice for auto heal. It works pretty well for most of the battle, but then in the final phases they can just kill me in one or two hits no matter how well I did up until that point.

Celebi grants you a more powerful autoheal. Way more powerful. Like, Majin Buu-tier regeneration.

As long as you're semi-competent at dodging the rest of the boss attacks, you should have no problem recovering from the damage. It takes up all three slots, however.

19 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Celebi grants you a more powerful autoheal. Way more powerful. Like, Majin Buu-tier regeneration.

As long as you're semi-competent at dodging the rest of the boss attacks, you should have no problem recovering from the damage. It takes up all three slots, however.

Oh, well if it's better than Elise's then it's worth it. Shield healing is nice, but it's much riskier than dodging. I'll try use Celebi when I go home. Still reckon I'll have trouble surviving the bullshit attacks but being at low % should help a lot. Do you find it's easier to defeat one of them first or leave them both alive as long as possible?

29 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh, well if it's better than Elise's then it's worth it. Shield healing is nice, but it's much riskier than dodging. I'll try use Celebi when I go home. Still reckon I'll have trouble surviving the bullshit attacks but being at low % should help a lot. Do you find it's easier to defeat one of them first or leave them both alive as long as possible?

I've done it twice now, and usually I go back and forth between the two evenly; them damaging each other is pretty helpful. But taking one out and then focusing on the other is probably more practical.

You could always just set the difficulty to Easy if it's proving too troublesome.

Not sure if it was noted in this sub-forum anywhere, but according to TVTropes (and somewhat confirmed on her twitter), but Dayci Brookshire took over as Viridi for Hynden Walch, dubbing the new guidances and redubbing the old ones. Explains why there’s such a difference now.

Edited by Dai

2 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I've done it twice now, and usually I go back and forth between the two evenly; them damaging each other is pretty helpful. But taking one out and then focusing on the other is probably more practical.

You could always just set the difficulty to Easy if it's proving too troublesome.

I've made it a mission to do it on hard. If i do eventually give up then I'll use a hammer to get the challenge for my sins.

I'm torn over focusing on o e over the other. Once you take one out the second does get more dangerous and harder to hit, and while they're damaging each other it's just mathematically means you'll be fighting for less time. The only issue is that their attacks aren't choreographed together, so the battle is much less predictable when they're both alive.

Edited by Jotari