Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I've made it a mission to do it on hard. If i do eventually give up then I'll use a hammer to get the challenge for my sins.

I'm torn over focusing on o e over the other. Once you take one out the second does get more dangerous and harder to hit, and while they're damaging each other it's just mathematically means you'll be fighting for less time. The only issue is that their attacks aren't choreographed together, so the battle is much less predictable when they're both alive.

Why characters are you using?

For example, large characters and heavy really aren’t a good idea in the final battle.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Why characters are you using?

For example, large characters and heavy really aren’t a good idea in the final battle.

Managed to do it (using Ganondorf, I know probably the least suitable character for the job). The Great Auto Heal makes a massive difference. It's only 2% over normal autoheal but it goes a really long way. I didn't get the achievement though :/

EDIT: Oh! You specifically have to do it with Dunk Hunt Duo. Well screw that. Not even going to bother doing that on easy. Hammer.

-_- It doesn't let me. Duck Hunt Duo might legitimately be my least favorite character. Oh well, back at it again. At least it doesn't demand I do it with them on hard.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Managed to do it (using Ganondorf, I know probably the least suitable character for the job). The Great Auto Heal makes a massive difference. It's only 2% over normal autoheal but it goes a really long way. I didn't get the achievement though :/

EDIT: Oh! You specifically have to do it with Dunk Hunt Duo. Well screw that. Not even going to bother doing that on easy. Hammer.

-_- It doesn't let me. Duck Hunt Duo might legitimately be my least favorite character. Oh well, back at it again. At least it doesn't demand I do it with them on hard.

I didn't use Duck Hunt for it. I knocked out both the "survive the first phase as Ganondorf" and "win the final battle without losing a stock" challenges in the same run by being Ganondorf from start to finish.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Noooo! Don’t use the hammer that! It means you get a picture of Duck Hunt, not that you have to use them!

Honestly, this game has converted me to the reboot the series and/or replace Sakurai trains. 

Between the bloated roster and stage count alongside nonexistant everything else and hardly functional online, the only thing that's Ultimate about it is the couch competition aspect. (Except even then changing the rules is more tedious than before, having to save a set if you want to do anything other than 2:30 or 3 stocks.)

World of Light is a slog with Spirit Battles in general only being tolerable in short bursts, and either being incredibly easy or very tedious and almost luck-reliant, Classic Mode has effectively been ruined with any form of randomness removed, Spirits are a shitty replacement for trophies (not even descriptions; plus, what was stopping them from just porting over most of the trophies from the Wii U version of Smash 4 and then adding a few more onto them?), All-Star mode got gutted alongside Multi-Man Smash losing out on options (what about 10-man Smash? Or Rival Smash?), and that's really it.

The core gameplay is fun, but even then that's in spite of everything. 

The game's pretty much the perfect example of "more is less".

6 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I didn't use Duck Hunt for it. I knocked out both the "survive the first phase as Ganondorf" and "win the final battle without losing a stock" challenges in the same run by being Ganondorf from start to finish.

You sure? Because the "win the final battle without losing a stock" challenge is specific to Duck Hunt Duo in my version of the game. Which kind of sucks (at least it was a walk in the park to do on easy). If the challenges are slightly different between different regions, then I find that pretty interesting, especially for a game with a simultaneous release.

Edited by Jotari

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You sure? Because the "win the final battle without losing a stock" challenge is specific to Duck Hunt Duo in my version of the game. Which kind of sucks (at least it was a walk in the park to do on easy). If the challenges are slightly different between different regions, then I find that pretty interesting, especially for a game with a simultaneous release.

The artwork and panel title depict Duck Hunt, but those don't mandate a specific character. Can you read the exact challenge description to me?

3 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

The artwork and panel title depict Duck Hunt, but those don't mandate a specific character. Can you read the exact challenge description to me?

Hmm. Maybe I misinterpreted it then. But I did beat the final battle with Ganondorf alone. Maybe it's because I didn't beat it on the same run through with the platforming section and the boss battles. I'd just suicide and start again whenever I lost against the final bosses. If that's the case and it expects you to do the entire thing (I interpreted Final Round as in to mean the actual final round) then I have no qualms with doing it on easy. The platforming section and boss battles are both easy and tedious. Don't want to waste five+ minutes running through them just to take a shot at the actual challenging part. Oh well, challenges unlocked now and I did achieve my personal challenge of beating it with one stock.

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

14 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Yeah, if you had to use the character depicted, most of the challenges would be character specific. Some are, but they say so in the description, like beating Century Smash with Ken using only special moves.

48 minutes ago, Jave said:

I haven't used any Hammers yet, but are there any challenges that can't be hammered?  I remember there being a couple in Brawl and Smash 4.

Yes. As I said above, I tried to hammer the "Beat the Final Round without being KO'd" challenge and it wouldn't let me.

2 hours ago, Jave said:

I haven't used any Hammers yet, but are there any challenges that can't be hammered?  I remember there being a couple in Brawl and Smash 4.

There are and like in Smash 4, it's always gonna be the ones that require your best skill. Stuff like 9.0 difficulty and such. Also really specific stuff like getting 777 Spirits.

What's up with Spirit Board not notifying you which Spirits would be new to your collection? Look, these Spirit Battles can be pretty memorable, but we're talking 1000+ fights, I can't remember that many. And me checking the collection takes precious time from the timer on each fight. 

48 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

What's up with Spirit Board not notifying you which Spirits would be new to your collection? Look, these Spirit Battles can be pretty memorable, but we're talking 1000+ fights, I can't remember that many. And me checking the collection takes precious time from the timer on each fight. 

If you've fought and unlocked said spirit, there should be a small check mark by said spirit's name.

Edited by Motendra

Is there a Milestone for unlocking every song? Because no new songs are showing up in the shop/Classic Mode rewards, I've 100%'ed World of Light, and I think I've unlocked every song exclusive to Challenges:

Spoiler

Duty (Ablaze), Namco Arcade '80s Retro Medley 1, Galeem, Dharkon, Galeem/Dharkon, Minor Circuit, Battle! (Wild Pokemon) - Pokemon Diamond/Pokemon Pearl, Mega Man Retro Medley, Black Night, Calling to the Night, Final Destination Ver. 2, and Vault.

My final song total on the Music menu is 876 but I feel like the game would have told me if I unlocked every song.

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

If you've fought and unlocked said spirit, there should be a small check mark by said spirit's name.

There's a check mark if you have the spirit, whether or not you've had it before. So if you had one, then upgraded it or foddered it off, there won't be a check mark anymore.

If you've beaten a spirit, then when you select it there will be a "CLEAR" at the top left of its screen, but this still doesn't tell you if it would actually be new or not since you might have won the fight but missed the shot...or one of the above scenarios.

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

Is there a Milestone for unlocking every song? Because no new songs are showing up in the shop/Classic Mode rewards, I've 100%'ed World of Light, and I think I've unlocked every song exclusive to Challenges:

Reveal hidden contents

Duty (Ablaze), Namco Arcade '80s Retro Medley 1, Galeem, Dharkon, Galeem/Dharkon, Minor Circuit, Battle! (Wild Pokemon) - Pokemon Diamond/Pokemon Pearl, Mega Man Retro Medley, Black Night, Calling to the Night, Final Destination Ver. 2, and Vault.

My final song total on the Music menu is 876 but I feel like the game would have told me if I unlocked every song.

I don't know if there's a milestone, but I know I've gone almost a full day without seeing new music in the shop, only to see 5 new songs when I woke up. It's just random.

I also haven't seen any new Mii equipment in days, and I don't think I have it all.

5 hours ago, Motendra said:

Yes, thank you! Guess every time I looked for some clues, it was only giving me ones new to my collection.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

There's a check mark if you have the spirit, whether or not you've had it before. So if you had one, then upgraded it or foddered it off, there won't be a check mark anymore.

If you've beaten a spirit, then when you select it there will be a "CLEAR" at the top left of its screen, but this still doesn't tell you if it would actually be new or not since you might have won the fight but missed the shot...or one of the above scenarios.

Well the checkmark works for me right now. I haven't engaged in the crafting of new spirits at all, and probably won't unless certain spirits need to be crafted. The "Clear" message is definitely confusing, however.

10 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Well, I can say I unlocked all the characters at their hardest!

On the other hand, everyone who gets the game after today will never experience true pain.

It took me four tries to unlock King Dedede.