Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The Smash Wiki lists them but I'm not sure how verifiable it is.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/PK (use the nav bar down at the bottom to check out other attacks)

It should be noted that Mewtwo is not listed as using PSI attacks, but Nintendo's reccomended spirits list does advise putting the PSI spirits on Mewtwo. So *shrug*

It’s pretty confusing.

And we can’t trust Auto Pick function either, because it never pick Water spirits for Greninja, which is really odd.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

It’s pretty confusing.

And we can’t trust Auto Pick function either, because it never pick Water spirits for Greninja, which is really odd.

It would be really nice if this info was in the game. It has a very real tangible effect on it. I guess it's possible to equip certain stickers and test it out. Only use support stickers though, as primary stickers will alter your stats in other ways.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It would be really nice if this info was in the game. It has a very real tangible effect on it. I guess it's possible to equip certain stickers and test it out. Only use support stickers though, as primary stickers will alter your stats in other ways.

Is there a way to only use Support spirits without Primaries?

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Is there a way to only use Support spirits without Primaries?

I don't think so. But you can just equip a weak primary spirit and make that your control point. So long as you only test with that same spirit equipped you should get tangible results. First test it without any supports to see how effective an attack is. Then test it with a PSI+ support and see if there's any difference, then test with a Magic+ support and see if there's any difference and on and on.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't think so. But you can just equip a weak primary spirit and make that your control point. So long as you only test with that same spirit equipped you should get tangible results. First test it without any supports to see how effective an attack is. Then test it with a PSI+ support and see if there's any difference, then test with a Magic+ support and see if there's any difference and on and on.

Good idea. I’m gonna try it out.

EDIT: I tried Mewtwo with Sagi primary and a Psyduck support, and I tried his foward smash and some other attacks. But there was no difference, so I guess Mewtwo’s attacks aren’t considered PSI. I’m going to try some others and see what I can find.

Edited by Water Mage

11 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Good idea. I’m gonna try it out.

EDIT: I tried Mewtwo with Sagi primary and a Psyduck support, and I tried his foward smash and some other attacks. But there was no difference, so I guess Mewtwo’s attacks are considered PSI. I’m going to try some others and see what I can find.

Do you mean aren't?

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Do you mean aren't?

Sorry my bad, I typed it wrong.

Back on subject, I tried the Water elementa this time with Greninja, Squirtle and Inkling.

Greninja’s foward smash isn’t considered a water attack, despite being a blade made of water, however Squirtle’s foward smash was affected so it is considered a water attack. I also noticed no changes on the Inkling’s attacks.

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Sorry my bad, I typed it wrong.

Back on subject, I tried the Water elementa this time with Greninja, Squirtle and Inkling.

Greninja’s foward smash isn’t considered a water attack, despite being a blade made of water, however Squirtle’s foward smash was affected so it is considered a water attack. I also noticed no changes on the Inkling’s attacks.

Greninja's forward Smash is two little blades right? Maybe it's considered a weapon.

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Greninja's forward Smash is two little blades right? Maybe it's considered a weapon.

I think so too, but even so it’s weird that Greninja has no water element attack.

I tried magic with Peach this time, and it was confusing. Apparently some her attacks with the heart animations, such as her Up Smash is considered magic, but her Peach Bomber isn’t. Her back air also isn’t considered magic despite the heart animation.

EDIT: Peach’s Up air, the rainbow attack seems to be considered magic too.

This is really confusing, so I think I’m gonna stop testing.

Edited by Water Mage

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

But there was no difference, so I guess Mewtwo’s attacks aren’t considered PSI.

So then PSI only applies to Ness and Lucas then? For such a giant cast, equips should not be so narrowly restricted. Mewtwo is a Psychic type, some of its attacks deserve to be considered PSI. I'm sure there are plenty of users of whatever elements the attacks that aren't PSI but should be, are.

Reminds me of a problem with Badges in 4- did characters like ROB, Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game & Watch really need each their own equipment either? Why not make a universal retro-equip type?

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So then PSI only applies to Ness and Lucas then? For such a giant cast, equips should not be so narrowly restricted. Mewtwo is a Psychic type, some of its attacks deserve to be considered PSI. I'm sure there are plenty of users of whatever elements the attacks that aren't PSI but should be, are.

Reminds me of a problem with Badges in 4- did characters like ROB, Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game & Watch really need each their own equipment either? Why not make a universal retro-equip type?

While Mewtwo’s attacks not being PSI is really weird, what really leaves dumbfounded is the fact that none of Greninja’s attacks are of the Water element.

I wish Spirits were like the Stickers in Brawl, as in they tell you what characters benefit from them.

7 hours ago, Water Mage said:

While Mewtwo’s attacks not being PSI is really weird, what really leaves dumbfounded is the fact that none of Greninja’s attacks are of the Water element.

I wish Spirits were like the Stickers in Brawl, as in they tell you what characters benefit from them.

I don't think stickers did. They just had equipment restriction on certain stickers (either because they'd be useless on other characters or because they share the same series).

Also

I hate it when he speaks the truth.

Edited by Jotari

Is there any particular reason why winning against Omega Ridley causes another Crazy Hand to spawn? Speaking of, is it possible to fight more than one of the Crazy Hands that spawn when you reveal the three sectors when you enter the Dark Realm, or will the other two disappear when one is defeated?

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is there any particular reason why winning against Omega Ridley causes another Crazy Hand to spawn? Speaking of, is it possible to fight more than one of the Crazy Hands that spawn when you reveal the three sectors when you enter the Dark Realm, or will the other two disappear when one is defeated?

You have to fight all three.

Finished my spirit collection. Every one except Partner Eevee which the game claims will be available to collect in some other way at a later date. Now all that's left is finishing the challenge for 200 quickplay matches. Which is hammer-able, but I'm only 40 away and know that's only 1-2 hours once I can get my friend back over for some more co-op.

I have to say this is a much easier and less grindy game to 100% compared to previous Smash Bros games. You do need to clear classic mode with every one of the enormous roster, but the lack of All Star mode makes tens of hours of difference. The Challenges are very easy compared to Brawl and Smash 4. I think the hardest one is beating the final boss on one life. Which doesn't come near Smash 4's beat All Star on Hard with each character, which is not only very long and difficult but the game doesn't track those runs unless they had the highest score, or Brawl's beat Boss Battles on Intense challenge which I couldn't even do on Project M with Ivysaur's synthesis move for free healing in between fights. 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:07 AM, Jotari said:

Nintendo's recommended spirit list is already a failure when they don't give Yoshi a spirit that provides an extra double jump. Which would cover up his greatest weakness and also take advantage of one of his unique strengths. Just air attack and foot attack boosts. Down air is the only move that benefits from that loadout. Either make his primary Queen Elincia or spend two support slots on Ho-oh if you want a more gimmicky primary ability like Giant or impact run.

Edited by Glennstavos

More character opinions, one from MKLeo won won Smash United with Ike and the other being one of the top Japanese players Komokiri 

Komo's bottom is "undecided" which is why Plant is there too.

I like the fact that the majority of people at least seem to agree there are no horrible characters in this game.

As someone who barely played Bayo in Smash 4 and also on SSBU, what did they do to her that she got nerfed so badly?

39 minutes ago, Jave said:

As someone who barely played Bayo in Smash 4 and also on SSBU, what did they do to her that she got nerfed so badly?

In general the damage output on several moves has been toned down. There's now a drawback to using extended N-air and U-air by adding additional landing lag. Heel Slide cannot perform the second kick if it's blocked, allowing for consistent punishes on one of her best and safest combo starters in the previous game. F-air doesn't lead in to her ladder combo on hit. Witch Time's duration when successful is greatly reduced. Used to be long enough that you could smash attack the victim twice, now it's barely once. D-air can't be used offstage as freely because it has more endlag forcing her to fall too far to return to the stage. Neutral B has more endlag, charges slower and cannot have the full charge held indefinitely.

That's just the stuff I can personally confirm. She did get helpful buffs to some underused attacks, but overall the consensus is that she's far from the monster she used to be, yet is still usable if you're willing to commit.

34 minutes ago, Dai said:

It feels like Spirits never end. I’ve got 1201/1302, and I’m fairly certain I have all of the summonable/spirit board spirits.

Be sure to check the shops in Vault and the shops in your Spirit collection activities , they have different pools of obtainable spirits. That's where I found the final sixty or so I had been missing, and some of them were ingredients the summons I couldn't make. You're also going to need all 100 of the fighter spirits, which are also found in the Vault shop or by doing Classic mode.

12 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Be sure to check the shops in Vault and the shops in your Spirit collection activities , they have different pools of obtainable spirits. That's where I found the final sixty or so I had been missing, and some of them were ingredients the summons I couldn't make. You're also going to need all 100 of the fighter spirits, which are also found in the Vault shop or by doing Classic mode.

It’s largely just the fighter spirits at this point, plus some enhanceables.

On 1/10/2019 at 3:33 AM, Jotari said:

You have to fight all three.

Are you sure? Because if one is defeated, revealing the other two sectors doesn't cause them to spawn iirc.

15 hours ago, Jedi said:

More character opinions, one from MKLeo won won Smash United with Ike and the other being one of the top Japanese players Komokiri 

Wait, am I seeing this right? Link is considered high/top tier? What bizarro world is this?? Because iirc Link was never high in the other Smash games.

Anyway, I know this is off topic, but I'm too lazy to make a thread on this, so whatever. Has anyone been having issues with their Joycons when playing this? Or at all, really? Because I've run into instances where my button presses don't register until several seconds after I press the button, which is just a massive inconvenience.

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Has anyone been having issues with their Joycons when playing this? Or at all, really? Because I've run into instances where my button presses don't register until several seconds after I press the button, which is just a massive inconvenience.

Assuming you're playing online, that's the input lag. Offline.....uh, i got nothing.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Assuming you're playing online, that's the input lag. Offline.....uh, i got nothing.

I don't have online. It's just been happening in Spirit Board, World of Light, what have you. ...Maybe I should try playing some of my other games to see whether or not this is an isolated incident.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 11/01/2019 at 8:27 AM, Jedi said:

Seems like every professional player seems to agree that Peach/Daisy, Olimar, Chrom, Inkling and Pikachu are high tier characters.

While he isn’t the best of the best, it’s amazing to see how the removal of the “tired” gimmick did wonders for the Pokemon Trainer.

And what have they done with Rosalina and Sheik? They fell from grace harder than Takumi did in Heroes

Edited by Water Mage