Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

And what have they done with Rosalina and Sheik? They fell from grace harder than Takumi did in Heroes

It seems like a lot of combo heavy characters got nerfed into oblivion. And when i mean combo heavy, i mean characters who rely on combos to get kills. A.k.a Shiek. Sheik is really lackluster in this game. And of course, we don't need to talk about Bayonetta.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Seems like every professional player seems to agree that Peach/Daisy, Olimar, Chrom, Inkling and Pikachu are high tier characters.

While he isn’t the best of the best, it’s amazing to see how the removal of the “tired” gimmick did wonders for the Pokemon Trainer.

And what have they done with Rosalina and Sheik? They fell from grace harder than Takumi did in Heroes

There isn't a ton of information on Rosalina, since even in Smash 4 she was underplayed for how high she was on tier placements. The big change though is "item priority" on Luma. if you and Luma attacked each other at the same time in Smash 4, it would be a trade, you both get hurt. In this game, Luma will clank with you, allowing you to pass through him and hit Rosalina. At least with aerials attacks, which cannot clank. And that's a big deal, since the opponent can just spam aerials and Rosalina can't just smack them with spaced luma attacks anymore. It's essentially the same reason why Olimar is bad in a way he wasn't in Brawl, you can spam aerials and none of his pikmin attacks can contest that the way any normal Utilt or Usmash can. However, unlike Olimar, Rosalina has attacks too, so she's not helpless. Also a lot of Luma's broken attacks have been toned down. He no longer has frame 3 N-airs and U-airs for instance. Finally the changes to air dodges makes her quite vulnerable when trying to land or recover since she is very floaty and those air dodges are especially laggy on floaty characters. I also have to assume they toned down the hitbox size on some of Luma's stuff and the knockback on her U-air so that it doesn't cheese kills at 40 with the help of rage, but there is no concrete information on that stuff that I have seen. 

Sheik's changes are a bit more basic. Her spammable attacks are all dealing less damage. She can still combo you across the stage, but the total damage output of that exchange gives her less reward before she finds another opening. And the opponent can generally make up that damage difference in a two hit combo. She also doesn't benefit much from engine changes since it pretty much makes a lot of characters as fast as sheik used to be. Like Bayonetta she got buffs to a lot of underused attacks, like Fsmash which is quite nice for kills now, but playing Sheik has always been a test of patience in a way that players naturally don't want to go back to when there's so many great other options in this new game. The most likely reason her tier placement will slip in Ultimate is going to be lack of players proving she's still good. As far as I can tell, there's nothing crucially wrong with her for high level play.

3 hours ago, daisy jane said:

do we know when the next FE Spirit Board event is? 

It was just said that it'll happen sometime this month with no concrete date being given yet. The first part of the event started on the 21st last month, so I'm going to guess they'll have part 2 happen around the same time this month.

You know all this talk about nerfs and tiers is making me realize how many in Ultimate a lot of characters that were considered low tier in previous Smash games are now considered top tier, characters such as Pichu, Roy, regular Link and Palutena. And lot of characters that fell from grace such as Peach and Olimar seems to be back in top form.

Can Ultimate be considered the Smash of the Underdogs?

Was not aware that DeDeDe could suck up and spit out blade beam.

Edit: Also wasn't aware that time kept ticking if you paused in Century Smash!

Edited by Dai

18 hours ago, Dai said:

Was not aware that DeDeDe could suck up and spit out blade beam.

Edit: Also wasn't aware that time kept ticking if you paused in Century Smash!

Dedede sucks up and spits out all projectiles now.

10 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Dedede sucks up and spits out all projectiles now.

I don't think it makes his awful matchup with Megaman much better though... does it?

49 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't think it makes his awful matchup with Megaman much better though... does it?

Nah but it makes his Gordos overall more useful because if people hit them back he can just suck em up.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Nah but it makes his Gordos overall more useful because if people hit them back he can just suck em up.

no wonder dedede's more perfect than kirby

he can inhale gordos

On 1/11/2019 at 6:27 AM, Jedi said:

More character opinions, one from MKLeo won won Smash United with Ike and the other being one of the top Japanese players Komokiri 

Komo's bottom is "undecided" which is why Plant is there too.

...Both of these guys put all my mains (Ike, Luigi, Daisy, Richter) in A+/A or above. What universe have I ended up in? lol

I also use Toon Link and Dark Pit sometimes though as secondaries. But I noticed that Toon Link is high in the first one here, but pretty low in the second. That's a big difference. There seems to be a notable difference between the placement of Dark Pit here too. I wonder what's up with that. o_O

12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

...Both of these guys put all my mains (Ike, Luigi, Daisy, Richter) in A+/A or above. What universe have I ended up in? lol

I also use Toon Link and Dark Pit sometimes though as secondaries. But I noticed that Toon Link is high in the first one here, but pretty low in the second. That's a big difference. There seems to be a notable difference between the placement of Dark Pit here too. I wonder what's up with that. o_O

It’s mostly because of Ultimate’s engine. Unlike 4 it doesn’t benefit combo heavy characters like Bayonetta, Sheik and Ice Climbers. And I hope you don’t take this tje wrong way, but you don’t seem like the person who likes to use combo heavy characters. Your style seems to be characters like Ike and Ganondorf, who relies on a single powerful hit to get a KO.

And I gotta add that while Peach/Daisy are also combo heavy characters they’re a bit different.

29 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

It’s mostly because of Ultimate’s engine. Unlike 4 it doesn’t benefit combo heavy characters like Bayonetta, Sheik and Ice Climbers. And I hope you don’t take this tje wrong way, but you don’t seem like the person who likes to use combo heavy characters. Your style seems to be characters like Ike and Ganondorf, who relies on a single powerful hit to get a KO.

And I gotta add that while Peach/Daisy are also combo heavy characters they’re a bit different.

Well, I don't mind using a lot of combos. I just hadn't yet mained anyone that was combo-heavy I guess. Daisy is my first. But I see.

You know, not having any Fire Emblem Fates tracks other than Lost in Thoughts All Alone was a great missed opportunity. Remixes or original versions of Dusk Falls, Justice RIP, Alight, A Dark Fall, and End of All would be good enough.

Same goes for Wally’s theme.

2 hours ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

You know, not having any Fire Emblem Fates tracks other than Lost in Thoughts All Alone was a great missed opportunity. Remixes or original versions of Dusk Falls, Justice RIP, Alight, A Dark Fall, and End of All would be good enough.

Same goes for Wally’s theme.

A lot of songs you'd think would be in the game just aren't. Kid Icarus got no new songs despite Sakurai bias, Majora's Mask got one new song and it was just another remix of Termina Field and they completely skipped over Xenoblade Chronicles X while also having a mere three songs from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A lot of songs you'd think would be in the game just aren't. Kid Icarus got no new songs despite Sakurai bias, Majora's Mask got one new song and it was just another remix of Termina Field and they completely skipped over Xenoblade Chronicles X while also having a mere three songs from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Free DLC, hopefully?

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Well Sakurai said the music team he got were the ones who decided the remixes, he let them decide what songs to remix. That can explain some stuff having no remixes, can't say for not adding new songs in general though.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Apparently they found a manor difference between Peach and Daisy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kie_pee_/status/1085720189465899009

Is this gonna affect anything? It seems a insignificant difference at first, but the more I look at it, the worse it seems for Daisy.

It's been known that Peach and Daisy's have different idle stances resulting in some moves missing or hitting. Dark Samus and Samus especially so. But their attacks are identical in terms of models. And any moment you're not attacking in smash, you're running and jumping. Certainly not standing around.

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

It's been known that Peach and Daisy's have different idle stances resulting in some moves missing or hitting. Dark Samus and Samus especially so. But their attacks are identical in terms of models. And any moment you're not attacking in smash, you're running and jumping. Certainly not standing around.

Thing is apparently they also have different hitboxes for when theh are running and about to turn back. If you notice Daisy spread her arms while running while Peach is  holding her dress. This makes Peach’s hitbox while running and turning back smaller. Think this could affect them, or is it also a small difference?

"He also said Zelda is based on both A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and ARMS probably would've gotten a playable character if the timing was better."

From the person that linked this to me. So with wording like that I don't think DLC is much of an option for em either.

Edited by Jedi