Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

In the Galaxy games she keeps sending Mario 1 Up Mushrooms. And in the SMW Bowser battle she helps Mario by throwing mushrooms. It might not be much, but it shows she’s not helpless. Peach is always helping Mario in the main games. Her being helpless is a more recent thing, with the “screw story” mentality.

SMW I'll give you okay, that's kinda useful. But 1 up Mushrooms are so easy to get in the Galaxy games without Peach's help, so that's not very helpful imo. And my problem with her isn't even her being helpless or not, like I said. She just annoys me a lot.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Galaxy games she keeps sending Mario 1 Up Mushrooms. And in the SMW Bowser battle she helps Mario by throwing mushrooms. It might not be much, but it shows she’s not helpless. Peach is always helping Mario in the main games. Her being helpless is a more recent thing, with the “screw story” mentality.

SMW I'll give you okay, that's kinda useful. But 1 up Mushrooms are so easy to get in the Galaxy games without Peach's help, so that's not very helpful imo. And my problem with her isn't even her being helpless or not, like I said. She just annoys me a lot.

Just now, Anacybele said:

But how she annoys you in other games? That happy go lucky attitude is exclusive to Smash. She never acts like that in the main games. It’s the same thing with Mario and Bowser.

But how she annoys you in other games? That happy go lucky attitude is exclusive to Smash. She never acts like that in the main games. It’s the same thing with Mario and Bowser.

I already explained how she annoys me. Why is this even an argument? Why does anyone have such a huge problem with me disliking Peach?

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I already explained how she annoys me. Why is this even an argument? Why does anyone have such a huge problem with me disliking Peach?

Mostly because you’re only seeing the surface of the character? Your attitude seems to be cliche “she’s blond, wears pink dress and is a princess” so I must hate her. It’s kind of shallow reason, and it really bothers me. 

11 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Mostly because you’re only seeing the surface of the character? Your attitude seems to be cliche “she’s blond, wears pink dress and is a princess” so I must hate her. It’s kind of shallow reason, and it really bothers me. 

...Where did I ever say that was the reason at all? I said she's often had behavior that annoyed me and I'm not a fan of pink. I never said ANYTHING about her being blonde or a princess. By your logic, I should hate SS Zelda because she's blonde, a princess, and wears pink, but I don't. I love her, in fact. Hell, I'm blonde myself! Please stop twisting my words and opinions. It really bothers me.

Edited by Anacybele

22 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's a shame Skyward Sword Zelda isn't available as a costume in Smash. I'm quite partial to that design myself.

Yeah, I think she's really cute. I'd have loved to see her as a costume too.

And I actually don't hate ALL kinds of pink, btw. I do kinda like magenta, which is sorta what Zelda wears.

47 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's a shame Skyward Sword Zelda isn't available as a costume in Smash. I'm quite partial to that design myself.

Actual SS Zelda isn't there but Zelda's white alt gets really close to it.

Zelda's alts are really good in this game, except her OoT alt which is too close to default one.

I do wish they'd kept the TP designs around for the Triforce trio, since I like them the most by far (especially with all the little details, like the fact Link's wearing chainmail underneath his tunic).

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I do wish they'd kept the TP designs around for the Triforce trio, since I like them the most by far (especially with all the little details, like the fact Link's wearing chainmail underneath his tunic).

Honestly, if there's any problem I have with the returning roster, it's the presence of both Young Link and Toon Link while missing TP Link/Zelda/Ganondorf and OoT Link/Zelda. It's not really "Everyone is here" after all, since those really are different characters in canon. And we all know Toon Link was an update for Young Link, they just changed the name because they couldn't use Link alone (since one was already there) and WW Link, while certainly young, doesn't work as well with that moniker.

21 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I wonder why it's always Samus who has these sorts of issues.

I'm starting to think Samus may just need an overhaul of her moveset. Granted, I'm not entirely sure what they could really do...

23 minutes ago, Dai said:

I'm starting to think Samus may just need an overhaul of her moveset. Granted, I'm not entirely sure what they could really do...

It’s not the moveset that needs work, it’s a very functional one (as Melee showed). It just needs to actually work as it should.

Look at Zelda, her moves mostly all function as they should have from the start and they’re much better than ever.

Edited by Jedi

26 minutes ago, Dai said:

There are a lot of beams and such from the series that could be implemented into the moveset. And I'll never understand why she uses her morph ball to roll but not crawl in Smash.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It’s not the moveset that needs work, it’s a very functional one (as Melee showed). It just needs to actually work as it should.

Melee may not be the best example, since she eeks out viability primarily through bugs and exploits that can't be reproduced in Brawl onward or 64 before it. Missile cancelling, wall grappling, the super wavedash and extended grab, and a better than average regular wave dash.

I do miss the pre smash 4 N-air though. The new one is really bad and adds nothing to her air game. I always had the idea that the first kick should hit them into the second, so that she could use it as a less laggy forward air. In general I do think Samus needs a rework on many attacks. I want bombs that act more as traps rather than gimmicky projectiles with an unhelpful recovery application. I want updates to her bad normals like Utilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, and jab. And I've already complained plenty about her not being able to crawl in morph ball form. In fact I'd make bombs into Dtilt that you can drop while crawling, then make her current Dtilt into a Dsmash, freeing up down B for a more threatening power bomb or something creative using the Ice Beam.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

There are a lot of beams and such from the series that could be implemented into the moveset. And I'll never understand why she uses her morph ball to roll but not crawl in Smash.

Is there a way to make a battle arena where two players in one room are able to play against others? 'Cuz so far, I'm trying to set up a room for my brother and I to face some friends across distance, but it's only letting ME play with them.

4 hours ago, Florete said:

Honestly, if there's any problem I have with the returning roster, it's the presence of both Young Link and Toon Link while missing TP Link/Zelda/Ganondorf and OoT Link/Zelda. It's not really "Everyone is here" after all, since those really are different characters in canon. And we all know Toon Link was an update for Young Link, they just changed the name because they couldn't use Link alone (since one was already there) and WW Link, while certainly young, doesn't work as well with that moniker.

i can't believe the star of the zelda series got cut twice

there was never truly an original 8 after melee

dun dun duuuuuuuun

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Is there a way to make a battle arena where two players in one room are able to play against others? 'Cuz so far, I'm trying to set up a room for my brother and I to face some friends across distance, but it's only letting ME play with them.

1. Not sure why you quoted me to ask that.
2. I don't know, but I don't think so as long as you're both on the same console.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

1. Not sure why you quoted me to ask that.
2. I don't know, but I don't think so as long as you're both on the same console.

I think it had a previous thing saved from something I was going to state but ultimately scrapped.

5 hours ago, Florete said:

As I'm presently playing Metroid: Samus Returns  (I'm not a Prime person, nor do I speedrun, or even 100% no time constraints, but I am a casual 2D Metroid fan), so I'll chime in here.

Let us see her arsenal:

Spoiler

I'd not draw from Prime 2, 3, or Hunters. since those games have powers which are more specific to the context of their games. I'm sticking to the more "universal" stuff.

From the rest, first, the beams:

• Ice Beam- The most iconic beam that isn't Power/Charge, and I don't think Smash has ever included it. Without this, Samus can't, or at least has a much harder time, kill Metroids. Freeze I don't recall being great in Smash, but maybe it could help her.
    • And Super Metroid has that missile combo that makes a Mega Man Leaf Shield-like barrier around her.
    • Ice Missiles and Diffusion Missiles- Ice Missiles appear in both MP3 and Fusion, as a replacement for the Ice Beam. The Diffusion Missile is a Fusion charged version of the Ice Missile, which produces snowflakes that can freeze other things on contact with a target.
  • Wave Beam- Its primary function is penetrating solid objects and walls, a shield breaker maybe? Or we can borrow from the original Metroid Prime, which added electrical aspects to it.
    • And in particular, the Metroid Prime Wavebuster missile combo is awesome. A curving stream of electricity
  • Plasma Beam- In 2D Metroid- it's a green, small shot beam, but really really powerful. In Prime it becomes a lava shooter, with Flamethrower missile combo (the fiery attacks in Samus's Smash moveset precede Prime 1 by several years).
  • Spazer Beam- A spread shot, nothing else really. 
  • In Super Metroid, Wave, Plasma, and Spazer all have missile combos that create AoEs around her that are similar to each other, but not the Ice Beam's.
  • Samus Returns has Beam Burst- A very strong and large rapid fire barrage beam. Although is genuinely specific to this one game.

As for non-Beams.

• Power Bomb- A classic. Yes it could be in its usual 2D form a little too big an AoE and too powerful, but Smash can easily tone it down. Rather than make it separate from her current Bomb special, perhaps make it a charged version of it. Maybe with a vacuum effect.
  • Speed Booster- Could be treated like Fox Illusion. Its related Shinespark could be used like Fire Fox.
  • Overblast- From Other M. A point blank Charge Beam shot at an enemy. Could be a throw, or some other close range technique.
  • The melee counterattack from Samus Returns, it doesn't really damage enemies, just leaves them stunned. Not that we need more counter-using characters.

So Samus doesn't really have that much in additional techniques. But they could substitute some of her cannon jabs and kicks for more beam shots I think. Modify her into a more ranged character.

58 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As I'm presently playing Metroid: Samus Returns  (I'm not a Prime person, nor do I speedrun, or even 100% no time constraints, but I am a casual 2D Metroid fan), so I'll chime in here.

Let us see her arsenal:

Hide contents

I'd not draw from Prime 2, 3, or Hunters. since those games have powers which are more specific to the context of their games. I'm sticking to the more "universal" stuff.

From the rest, first, the beams:

• Ice Beam- The most iconic beam that isn't Power/Charge, and I don't think Smash has ever included it. Without this, Samus can't, or at least has a much harder time, kill Metroids. Freeze I don't recall being great in Smash, but maybe it could help her.
    • And Super Metroid has that missile combo that makes a Mega Man Leaf Shield-like barrier around her.
    • Ice Missiles and Diffusion Missiles- Ice Missiles appear in both MP3 and Fusion, as a replacement for the Ice Beam. The Diffusion Missile is a Fusion charged version of the Ice Missile, which produces snowflakes that can freeze other things on contact with a target.
  • Wave Beam- Its primary function is penetrating solid objects and walls, a shield breaker maybe? Or we can borrow from the original Metroid Prime, which added electrical aspects to it.
    • And in particular, the Metroid Prime Wavebuster missile combo is awesome. A curving stream of electricity
  • Plasma Beam- In 2D Metroid- it's a green, small shot beam, but really really powerful. In Prime it becomes a lava shooter, with Flamethrower missile combo (the fiery attacks in Samus's Smash moveset precede Prime 1 by several years).
  • Spazer Beam- A spread shot, nothing else really. 
  • In Super Metroid, Wave, Plasma, and Spazer all have missile combos that create AoEs around her that are similar to each other, but not the Ice Beam's.
  • Samus Returns has Beam Burst- A very strong and large rapid fire barrage beam. Although is genuinely specific to this one game.

As for non-Beams.

• Power Bomb- A classic. Yes it could be in its usual 2D form a little too big an AoE and too powerful, but Smash can easily tone it down. Rather than make it separate from her current Bomb special, perhaps make it a charged version of it. Maybe with a vacuum effect.
  • Speed Booster- Could be treated like Fox Illusion. Its related Shinespark could be used like Fire Fox.
  • Overblast- From Other M. A point blank Charge Beam shot at an enemy. Could be a throw, or some other close range technique.
  • The melee counterattack from Samus Returns, it doesn't really damage enemies, just leaves them stunned. Not that we need more counter-using characters.

So Samus doesn't really have that much in additional techniques. But they could substitute some of her cannon jabs and kicks for more beam shots I think. Modify her into a more ranged character.

It's a crime against Metroid that the Ice Beam is completely absent from Samus' arsenal. I'm not sure what constitutes a lot of techniques, because you just listed a tonne of potential moves. To add to it I'd add the Space Jump, it could be an alternative recovey to the Screw Attack, not that there's anything wrong with the Screw Attack of course. It's reasons like these I wish Custom Specials would return.

8 hours ago, Florete said:

Yeah, Young Link and Toon Link being seperate characters kind of irks me too. I never even thought Toon Link was all that great a name. Wish they just left it off as Young Link and made alts representing all the art styles. Proper full costumes represetnging all the Links, Zeldas and Ganondorfs is totally doable. If they could give us 8 Bowser Jrs, I'm sure they can give us a few more models for the Zelda series.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, Young Link and Toon Link being seperate characters kind of irks me too. I never even thought Toon Link was all that great a name. Wish they just left it off as Young Link and made alts representing all the art styles. Proper full costumes represetnging all the Links, Zeldas and Ganondorfs is totally doable. If they could give us 8 Bowser Jrs, I'm sure they can give us a few more models for the Zelda series.

Yeah, like, Link even has alts already: Zelda 1 Link, Fierce Deity, Dark Link. But for some reason the hero of time and the hero of twilight got left out. Well, I guess Young Link is technically the hero of time so that character is in there...technically.

4 hours ago, Florete said:

Yeah, like, Link even has alts already: Zelda 1 Link, Fierce Deity, Dark Link. But for some reason the hero of time and the hero of twilight got left out. Well, I guess Young Link is technically the hero of time so that character is in there...technically.

I mean more straight up new models than palette swaps (and a way to make Link left handed! That might be more difficult though).

Is it crazy of me to think that not all DLC characters will be third party?

It’s because of the Mother series. Porky a major antagonist is conspicuously missing as a spirit and this year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series, so wouldn’t it be fitting for Porky to be a DLC character?

EDIT: I just noticed, but Giygas is also missing as a spirit. This is really weird.

Edited by Water Mage