Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Dai said:

Looks good. Maybe this means he’s coming, soon. April 1st sound fitting?

I'd expect there'd be a bit more hype built up if they were dropping him tomorrow 

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'd expect there'd be a bit more hype built up if they were dropping him tomorrow 

I don’t think there was much, if any buildup towards Piranha Plant’s release, but maybe.

With the data that was suggesting a female alt, I was certain that Nintendo would wait until the end of April/after solid details on 5R were given to release him.

Either they sent out promotional material stupid early, Joker's releasing earlier... or they're just going to reveal his render some point soon.

Spoiler

So... I have heard of there being a Direct in the 11th...

https://techheading.com/sources-next-nintendo-direct-coming-on-april-11th-2019/

First discovered the news looking on Twitter, but it is everywhere now. No info. in specific seems to be datamined.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:03 AM, Azure in a Roundabout said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So... I have heard of there being a Direct in the 11th...

https://techheading.com/sources-next-nintendo-direct-coming-on-april-11th-2019/

First discovered the news looking on Twitter, but it is everywhere now. No info. in specific seems to be datamined.

The site it originates from has made such claims as there being "something CoD related being in an upcoming Direct" and has other articles which include such topics as how to pirate Smash.

...I don't think they're worth paying much mind to.

So Nintendo themselves ended up leaking Stage Builder.

Please by Brawl Stage Builder and not Smash 4 Stage Builder

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Why? No straight lines in 4? Not that I never messed with it much. Brawl seemed too limiting from what I remember.

This said, they could probably do much better than either for all the resources Smash has to work with. Would that effectively contribute much? Probably not. It's only stages, not fighters.

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why? No straight lines in 4?

That and Smash 4 stage builder just having less options in general. Granted, Brawl stage builder's options were limited based on the background but i still felt like i was building actual stages there. Smash 4's stage builder has a good concept but it didn't work well in actuality. There's something more satisfying about grouping together blocks to create a stage as opposed to drawing them.

I feel like the people most excited for stage builder are the guys with Youtube channels dedicated to tallying what characters can recover over or around specific challenges.

There's only one thing I aim to build in Stage Builder, and it's Target Tests to share with other players. Don't let me down, Sakurai. As is though, I expect I'd be playing more of Home Run Contest than this.

I said it last update but I'll say it again here. Put Squad Strike online. I think people would have a blast with this mode if it wasn't locked to local multiplayer. I expect many have even forgot about it. And if I could make another adjustment for online play, make it so players that have lost all their stocks in free for all can drop out of the game without facing the penalty for leaving a game in progress. They can't play any more, why make them sit around and watch other people play? They could be spending that time lobbying for their next match. 

12 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I feel like the people most excited for stage builder are the guys with Youtube channels dedicated to tallying what characters can recover over or around specific challenges.

There's only one thing I aim to build in Stage Builder, and it's Target Tests to share with other players. Don't let me down, Sakurai. As is though, I expect I'd be playing more of Home Run Contest than this.

I said it last update but I'll say it again here. Put Squad Strike online. I think people would have a blast with this mode if it wasn't locked to local multiplayer. I expect many have even forgot about it. And if I could make another adjustment for online play, make it so players that have lost all their stocks in free for all can drop out of the game without facing the penalty for leaving a game in progress. They can't play any more, why make them sit around and watch other people play? They could be spending that time lobbying for their next match. 

Outside of the gameplay/roster, Squad Strike is most certainly the best thing that's come from Smash Ultimate. I'm I full agreement. It absolutely must be available online. Smash Down would be nice too (I think that's what it's called, the one where you can only use each character once).

3 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

Okay I’m so ready for a direct or something. 

Are they hust gonna shadow drop joker? Don’t make me keep looking forward to a random Date give me a number please! 

I don't think Smash Bros DLC characters require a Direct. This is one of the most popular nintendo games, if they drop a gameplay trailer with Joker on Youtube announcing his release in a few days, the internet will deliver that information to everybody that would reasonably care. However, in this case, I sort of anticipate Joker's release date announcement to coincide with whatever persona news is coming on April 24-25. Possibly releasing him on that day, we'll see. I just feel like Nintendo left this announcement up to Atlus to make.

Sure they don’t; but it would be nice as it could also include 3 houses info as well as Joker. 

For a supposedly big big game that’s droppin kinda soon they sure ain’t advertising it very well. 

Edited by IEatLasers

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't think Smash Bros DLC characters require a Direct. This is one of the most popular nintendo games, if they drop a gameplay trailer with Joker on Youtube announcing his release in a few days, the internet will deliver that information to everybody that would reasonably care. However, in this case, I sort of anticipate Joker's release date announcement to coincide with whatever persona news is coming on April 24-25. Possibly releasing him on that day, we'll see. I just feel like Nintendo left this announcement up to Atlus to make.

I really cannot imagine them dropping Joker with so little fanfare. He's the first character in their fighters pass and the last direct teased other details for 3.0. I don't predict a general Nintendo direct, but I'd be shocked if there's no Smash presentation before Joker releases. I also expect said presentation to reveal fighter #2, since they should want to make the next one known before the first one goes on sale.

Remember, all of the Smash 4 DLC fighters were shown off either in a general direct or a Smash one.

42 minutes ago, Florete said:

I really cannot imagine them dropping Joker with so little fanfare. He's the first character in their fighters pass and the last direct teased other details for 3.0. I don't predict a general Nintendo direct, but I'd be shocked if there's no Smash presentation before Joker releases. I also expect said presentation to reveal fighter #2, since they should want to make the next one known before the first one goes on sale.

Remember, all of the Smash 4 DLC fighters were shown off either in a general direct or a Smash one.

Well the previous and only other DLC character for this game was released with far less fanfare than what I suggested so I don't see why it's so hard to imagine. I'd certainly argue that a freaking concert is MORE fanfare than some five minute Smash Direct quietly announced and released on youtube within 24 hours but I guess it's a matter of perspective. You are correct however that they teased details on the update, which happens to include this character. Those details aren't something we can expect Atlus to give us, but I'm also not married to the idea that they must show up in a capital D Direct. Just an individual video showing off stage builder and any other feature updates

Good news for you Joker fans.

He's coming tomorrow! I must say, he looks kinda cool. Depending on who the other members of the Fighters Pass are, I definitely just might buy it.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't even play Persona, and I must say that Joker looks interesting.

What intrigues me the most though, is the fact that he can clearly use a gun in Smash Bros. I've been hoping that Claude Wallace from Valkyria Chronicles 4 could be one of the DLC fighters, but I figured it was unlikely because of the weaponry in the game basically being WW2 guns. The fact that Joker can use a gun makes Claude Wallace a plausible candidate.