Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Well the previous and only other DLC character for this game was released with far less fanfare than what I suggested so I don't see why it's so hard to imagine. I'd certainly argue that a freaking concert is MORE fanfare than some five minute Smash Direct quietly announced and released on youtube within 24 hours but I guess it's a matter of perspective. You are correct however that they teased details on the update, which happens to include this character. Those details aren't something we can expect Atlus to give us, but I'm also not married to the idea that they must show up in a capital D Direct. Just an individual video showing off stage builder and any other feature updates

So the video has dropped by now but I still want to say this isn't a good comparison. You're talking a generic enemy vs the protagonist of one of 2017's biggest titles. Besides, Piranha Plant did get a trailer, which is more than Joker got (until today).

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Stage Builder improvements look great! I can't wait to mess around with it! ^^ Gonna need to come up with some ideas on what stages to make though. :P

How about some Fire Emblem locations? Make a version of the bridge in Path of Radiance and fill it with traps, or make a stage that is Grima's back, and every now and then, he tilts to one side. 

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

How about some Fire Emblem locations? Make a version of the bridge in Path of Radiance and fill it with traps, or make a stage that is Grima's back, and every now and then, he tilts to one side. 

Yeah, but the ones I'd have in mind might be pretty difficult to do. I'll have to see just what options I've got and all.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but the ones I'd have in mind might be pretty difficult to do. I'll have to see just what options I've got and all.

Okay. 

Anyway, did anyone else notice that Joker is using a realistic gun? In Smash Bros? I thought that they had to make Snake use every weapon he had except guns? Now they're allowing realistic guns?

Joker looking mighty good. I can't believe he has Limit Charge but he doesn't take knockback. Him being the second Stand user in the game means i'm definitely going to try him. However, everything must be perfectly balanced, as all things should be. The hype part of that presentation was Joker. The disappointing part? Stage builder. I like the addition of layers and stuff but i really wish they didn't use the Smash 4 stage builder. Why couldn't there be set blocks?

Now the real question is, does the update drop tomorrow at midnight or does it drop tomorrow at noon?

Was kind of concerned they were going to wait until the end of the month to release Joker but I am happy to see him coming out tomorrow, definitely want to try him out. Nice to see them add music and costumes from Persona 4 and 3 as well (fans of Persona 1 and 2 still left out in the dust). Mementos was obviously going to be the stage especially since anywhere else would either go too far into spoiler territory or would be too mature to put into Smash.

Stage Builder still continues to look uninteresting to me. Guess some people like it though. Not going to say much more about it.

Was kind of surprised they didn't even hint at who will be DLC character #2. Oh well, maybe they are saving them to be a big reveal at E3. I'm most likely only going to buy Joker's DLC pack since I doubt the other 4 DLC characters will be anyone I care about. I'm just happy to have an Atlus rep in Smash.

How unexpected, but looking cool Joker. I've been waiting to see the second Fighters Pass character before committing to buying it, but now I don't think we'll get the second (and third?) character announced until E3... I just want Rex's Mii costume, dang it.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Now the real question is, does the update drop tomorrow at midnight or does it drop tomorrow at noon?

The previous Smash updates have dropped around 8:00/9:00 PM EST if I recall, so 3.0 and Joker should arrive then.

3.0...s'okay.

Alright fine, I have to say that stage builder goes above and beyond anything I was expecting based on previous games. I still don't immediately care for the mode myself, but I know somebody out there's going to have a creative idea and that's all the mode needs to encourage. Joker is pretty much what any fan would have suggested, which is not bad at all since this is nothing but fan wish fulfillment. I'm expecting no less than two of the remaining four to be revealed at E3, one of which being shadow dropped that week into the game.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

So the video has dropped by now but I still want to say this isn't a good comparison. You're talking a generic enemy vs the protagonist of one of 2017's biggest titles.

I don't have to prove Piranha Plant is a bigger character than Joker. (I mean, I could, but it would devolve into an argument over what constitutes "popularity". Being the one-time main character of a critically acclaimed game, or appearing in a hundred individual video games, a sizeable fraction of which outsold Persona 5). You were talking about precedent set by Smash 4's DLC reveals all coming from a Direct of some kind. And I was telling you that Smash Ultimate aint the same game. I didn't need Nintendo to prove my point an hour ago. If anything they stole my thunder. >:(

Besides, Piranha Plant did get a trailer, which is more than Joker got (until today).

Where? 

Edited by Glennstavos

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't have to prove Piranha Plant is a bigger character than Joker.

Piranha Plant is more well-known, but wouldn't even be considered a 'character' prior to being included in Smash (and arguably still isn't). It got little fanfare because it's a fighter offered for free that no one would have ever asked for. Same can't be said for Joker.

Like, seriously, it's a plant. Just because it's a well-known plant doesn't mean it was something to expect much fanfare for.

7 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Where? 

This was in the November Smash direct:

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I didn't need Nintendo to prove my point an hour ago. If anything they stole my thunder. >:(

Well, did they? They didn't announce it beforehand, but it is a 15 minute presentation video. I'd sooner say neither of us was truly correct in predicting how they'd do it.

Just saw the Joker trailer. Honestly, I would've preferred an SMT character over a Persona one, but that dream is long dead (If it was even alive at all). But I gotta say, Joker looks mighty impressive move wise. And the mementos stage is interesting.

Stage builder also looks pretty cool. Hopefully that mode will be worth fooling around with this time.

28 minutes ago, Florete said:

Piranha Plant is more well-known, but wouldn't even be considered a 'character' prior to being included in Smash (and arguably still isn't). It got little fanfare because it's a fighter offered for free that no one would have ever asked for. Same can't be said for Joker.

See, this is why I said the argument would devolve into this. And I'll say it again I don't have to prove Plant is more popular than Joker since it's not relavant to my argument. So please cut it out.

This was in the November Smash direct:

What I said was that Plant didn't get a release trailer, this is not one of those. I said he got even less than a release trailer in terms of fan fare on release, which is exactly right until you move the goal post like this. Because by this standard, Joker ALSO already got his "release trailer" on December 7 at the Game Awards, and AGAIN at the February Direct.

Well, did they? They didn't announce it beforehand, but it is a 15 minute presentation video. I'd sooner say neither of us was truly correct in predicting how they'd do it.

Just because it's 15 minutes long it's a Direct? That's it, I'm out. I can't sit here and argue semantics a moment longer. I wish I was wrong so that I wouldn't have to deal with these notifications. Go ahead and get the last word in so that this can be over.

Edited by Glennstavos

Well, Joker looks amazing in Smash and sets a great precedent for DLC.

Now then, if only a certain demon slaying marine were to show up in said DLC....

Related image

Woah! I was already excited about Joker but my excitement the moment Stage Builder was shown off was even greater!

It looks so much better than the Sm4sh version and even looks like it surpassed Brawl version. I was not expecting this much thought and care to be put into it but now I’m glad they took their time with it before releasing it and that they even released it at all because I had given up hope on seeing it.

Looking cool Joker! he looks alright, pretty faithful to the Persona mechanics and fun to play as.

But I'm not very keen on the stage. Persona 5 has lots of interesting locations and they go out of their way to take the one extremely boring location. 

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Okay. 

Anyway, did anyone else notice that Joker is using a realistic gun? In Smash Bros? I thought that they had to make Snake use every weapon he had except guns? Now they're allowing realistic guns?

Its a fake gun so that's probably the reason. Its just that enemies believing the gun is real allows the Thieves to use them as if actual firearms. 

My guy Akira getting the love and respect he deserves. Awesome stuff.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Well, Joker looks amazing in Smash and sets a great precedent for DLC.

Now then, if only a certain demon slaying marine were to show up in said DLC....

Related image

No way in hell that is happening. Doom barely has any history with Nintendo. Not to mention, way too violent for the likes of Smash. So, no. It's not happening. This game's pulled some crazy stuff, but this won't be one of them. Plus if the FPS genre has to be represented, Master Chief is the only acceptable choice, as Doomguy's a edgy knock off of said character if you ask me.

7 minutes ago, Decerd said:

No way in hell that is happening. Doom barely has any history with Nintendo. 

Actually, that's the opposite. The first Doom was ported for the SNES, and Doom 2 was also ported the Gameboy Advance. There was also a spin off Doom title exclusively for the Nintendo 64. Not to mention, Doom 4's been ported to the Switch, and Doom Eternal is following suit. So yeah, Doom does in fact have history with Nintendo.

12 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Not to mention, way too violent for the likes of Smash. So, no. It's not happening. 

Bayonetta was also deemed to be "too violent for Smash", and look how well that mentality turned out.

14 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Plus if the FPS genre has to be represented, Master Chief is the only acceptable choice, 

Master Chief's Xbox exclusive. Unless that whole rumor about Nintendo and Microsoft working together turns out to be a collaboration to put Halo games on the Switch or something, he doesn't stand a chance. I'd agure Doomguy's the better choice because Doom is practically the grandfather of the whole FPS genre.

16 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Doomguy's a edgy knock off of said character if you ask me.

.....You do realize Doomguy was a thing a whole entire decade before Halo existed, right?