Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

51 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Sakurai did say in an interview that news would be slowing down significantly, so it’s quite possible we might not.

That was specifically refering to character reveals though, right? We might get some new tidbits from thw blogs instead.

Wait...have we even gotten new news from the blogs? Aside from new music, all of the new stuff we've gotten has been about things we already knew.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait...have we even gotten new news from the blogs? Aside from new music, all of the new stuff we've gotten has been about things we already knew.

Some things that weren’t clarified before like how a certain item/AT/Pokémon work are done, but otherwise it’s more of the same old and we never had a reveal through the blog posts aside from the music.

My totally unfounded guess is we'll get one newcomer and possibly an echo this month. Then November will have a Smash Direct where the remaining 1 to 3 newcomers and X amount of echoes will be shown. DLC will be announced in the January Direct.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Posted this on a Discord server a few hours ago

Screenshot_20181002-213429_Chrome.jpg

The Japanese fighter preview list was also updated a couple days ago, listing 70 videos when there were only 69.

Honestly? I'm just expecting them to reveal Ken separately from anything else. He's just an Echo and, after all, got leaked.

5 hours ago, The DanMan said:

The Japanese fighter preview list was also updated a couple days ago, listing 70 videos when there were only 69.

Honestly? I'm just expecting them to reveal Ken separately from anything else. He's just an Echo and, after all, got leaked.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ken (or whatever Echo) is just stealth-dropped on the official website. Just show his video as the daily blog post, and at the same time add him to the banner and fighter screen.

Daisy, Richter, Chrom, and Dark Samus all got shown during Directs, but I don't think Echo Fighters need that much fanfare unless they're tied to bigger reveals.

8 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ken (or whatever Echo) is just stealth-dropped on the official website. Just show his video as the daily blog post, and at the same time add him to the banner and fighter screen.

Daisy, Richter, Chrom, and Dark Samus all got shown during Directs, but I don't think Echo Fighters need that much fanfare unless they're tied to bigger reveals.

Plot twist: Ken isn’t an echo. :blink:

8 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Plot twist: Ken isn’t an echo

Genuinely surprised if that happens, since he's the OG Echo.

Then again, apparently you can not be an Echo just by having a different personality than the character your based off of, which i think is the case for Ken.

I still call bullshit on Sakurai's reasoning for making Isabelle not an Echo of Villager.

Maybe this reveal is a couple or a few more echoes to finish off the roster, not just one. I'd still like to have hope of Dixie Kong making it in, even if I do think she could be more of a Luigi-fied version of Diddy. But I'd accept her as an echo, at least she'd be in at all.

Edited by Anacybele

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Then again, apparently you can not be an Echo just by having a different personality than the character your based off of, which i think is the case for Ken.

I still call bullshit on Sakurai's reasoning for making Isabelle not an Echo of Villager.

Ken is kinda weird because he could easily both be an Echo and entirely his own beast depending which part of Street Fighter they take him from.

51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Sakurai's off hand comment is basically a more verbose way of saying "it would be weird to see Isabelle wielding an axe"

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Sakurai's off hand comment is basically a more verbose way of saying "it would be weird to see Isabelle wielding an axe"

Would it though?

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

I think the real reason for Isabelle being unique is that she's too popular/marketable to "just" be an Echo. All the other Echoes are bonuses but Isabelle would've been included even if there were no Echoes.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

I think the real reason for Isabelle being unique is that she's too popular/marketable to "just" be an Echo. All the other Echoes are bonuses but Isabelle would've been included even if there were no Echoes.

Ok but i can absolutely apply that first statement to Daisy and Lucina. Both characters are incrediably popular and are very marketable, especially the former.

I'm not really trying to argue about whether ot not Isabelle should've been an Echo, i'm just saying Sakurai's reasoning for not making her one makes no sense.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ok but i can absolutely apply that first statement to Daisy and Lucina. Both characters are incrediably popular and are very marketable, especially the former.

I'm not really trying to argue about whether ot not Isabelle should've been an Echo, i'm just saying Sakurai's reasoning for not making her one makes no sense.

This is true and I agree, but Lucina was a last minute addition (and even if she was decloned she would still be derived from Marth) and Daisy, as popular as she is, probably wouldn't have been included as anything other than an Echo Fighter. Isabelle is the face of one of Nintendo's most popular series, and she's only the second Animal Crossing character (thus appealing more to the AC fanbase) while Mario and Fire Emblem have plenty of other characters for fans of those franchises.

Or perhaps the simpler explanation is "Isabelle is unique because Sakurai felt like making her unique".

Edited by Lightchao42

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Isabelle is massive in Japan and has eclipsed Tom Nook as AC's overall mascot; Lucina wasn't made into her own character until late in development (while being from a far smaller series) and Daisy, while a Mario character, is more or less on the level of Waluigi-- spinoff fodder for the Mario series that have a vocal core following.

Also helps that Daisy has literally always been a clone of Peach since she was first created. I believe it wasn't until the spin-offs where she fully became her own character - but don't quote me on that.

Anyways, the whole Direct theory is very interesting. If I'm remembering correctly, during the Smash 4 days, the 'new' label on the newcomers always disappeared a few days before the next newcomer was revealed, so there is a precedence.

As always, hoping for Bandana Dee, but I wouldn't mind seeing Isaac or Sora.

15 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Also Ragnell no longer clips through the stage/"hard" platforms and kinda just slides out along them.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing for Ike?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing for Ike?

Before he could aim his Up B so the Sword acts as a physical barrier on stage that prevents the opponent from getting close to the ledge before Ike can physically rise to catch his sword. Now, on any ledge that dips out with an angled underside, it appears the sword bounces too far to consistently provide protection for Ike. That's a big change but I don't expect it to impact Ike that much negatively. His real recovery move is Quick Draw and everything about that move is either unchanged or better. At high level play, if you successfully edgeguarded Ike to a point where he has no choice but to Up B, chances are you're going to secure the kill in the same breath with a D-air aimed at where Ike will float up. It's just a very poor recovery move with no variation on where his body ends up, nor ledge snap frames to prevent his spinning like a goon in front of the ledge rather than grabbing it. They did give the move more super armor on startup but I doubt they gave it to the entire move's duration.

Now Chrom, there's a lost cause. He doesn't throw his sword up at all. Nor has a second recovery move to rely on. His version of Aether is notably faster than Ike's in terms of animation speed, but it just appears he'll be way too vulnerable unless there's something about it we haven't seen. If there's no ledge snap on that thing, then he's probably got the definitive worst recovery in the game. 

So there's appearently rumors that there'll be a Smash Direct on the 10th kf this month.

Just a rumor but it would line up with the recent change on the Smash website....or maybe the recent change is what caused the rumor.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So there's appearently rumors that there'll be a Smash Direct on the 10th kf this month.

Just a rumor but it would line up with the recent change on the Smash website....or maybe the recent change is what caused the rumor.

I find this doubtful because...

…That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out.

Airing a Direct a month after revealing Isabelle doesn't sound like "slowing our pace" to me, unless by some chance there is only one character announced. Though it's not surprising that rumors like these are around, since ignoring what Sakurai says isn't a recent phenomenon. That being said...

For those who speak Japanese, you’ll notice that Isabelle appears in Ultimate without her -san honorific. Dedede and Bowser both lack their “Great King” epithets, much like Zelda and Peach are referred to without the title “Princess.” As a rule, we remove all honorifics in Smash and just refer to a character by their unique name. Of course, if players want to refer to her as Shizue-san in Japanese, I won’t stop them. In fact, I encourage it.

Why would people who can't speak Japanese be reading Famitsu in the first place? Despite what Sakurai says here, King K. Rool is still called that in the Japanese version (Dedede, meanwhile, doesn't have his "King" title in the Japanese version). Maybe the "King" is part of his unique name?