Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

If Piranha Plant is crouching, he withdraws into his pot/pipe. If he is footstooled while in this state, he will retaliate with a chomp - because you cannot stomp Piranha Plants in the Mario games.

And on that note...

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, indigocean said:

Hey guys, I hate to butt in like this, and I don't want to create a thread asking about it and I don't want to go searching for the answer to my question in this thread either since there's more than 150 pages, but I've got a question (it's more like a comment) about Chrom's 8th alt.

I've heard that it's based off of Donnel, but I just can't see it at all. When I first saw Chrom's 8th alt, I thought that it was based off of Líf from Fire Emblem Heroes. Líf and Chrom look... kinda similar. They have a similar build and hairstyle, I think.

So does it match? Or is my claim too much of a stretch? I haven't seen it brought up, so I thought that I would at least ask.

Chrom's alts for reference (I couldn't find a picture of just his 8th alt, so I apologize about that).

Reveal hidden contents

1024px-Chrom_Palette_%28SSBU%29.png

Líf for reference.

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for lif fire emblem heroes

the timeline for these events doesn't add up, smash ultimate came out on december 7th, even if book 3 was released 2 months prior there would not be enough time to justify scrapping an alt just for a reference to a character that has nothing to do with chrom unless you want to assume that IS cared enough about lif(an antagonist who has nothing to do with chrom from a spinoff game) to actively request an alt be made.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:58 PM, indigocean said:

Hey guys, I hate to butt in like this, and I don't want to create a thread asking about it and I don't want to go searching for the answer to my question in this thread either since there's more than 150 pages, but I've got a question (it's more like a comment) about Chrom's 8th alt.

I've heard that it's based off of Donnel, but I just can't see it at all. When I first saw Chrom's 8th alt, I thought that it was based off of Líf from Fire Emblem Heroes. Líf and Chrom look... kinda similar. They have a similar build and hairstyle, I think.

So does it match? Or is my claim too much of a stretch? I haven't seen it brought up, so I thought that I would at least ask.

Chrom's alts for reference (I couldn't find a picture of just his 8th alt, so I apologize about that).

Reveal hidden contents

1024px-Chrom_Palette_%28SSBU%29.png

Líf for reference.

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for lif fire emblem heroes

More likely it’s this, I think:

TMSFE_Chrom.png

This has been making rounds lately, as noted she’s voicing Edelgard in Three Houses but also note, she’s Shantae, Velvet (Tales Of Berseria), among others. Shantae of which a lot of people have been demanding (I still find it a very low possibility but still).

So rampant speculation has begun anew.

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Shantae is Ret-2-Go!

But also:

So I'm not falling for anything.

Ya I doubt it myself, DQ and such looking far more likely.

17 hours ago, Jedi said:

This has been making rounds lately, as noted she’s voicing Edelgard in Three Houses but also note, she’s Shantae, Velvet (Tales Of Berseria), among others. Shantae of which a lot of people have been demanding (I still find it a very low possibility but still).

Could mean Shantae in Smash, but Noel, Velvet, and especially Edelgard are also possible (though not well discussed) Smash contenders from her own resume. 

Or she could just be referring to 3 Houses. That does look to be a potentially huge game. Though the words "just about to work on" would be concerning for a main character of a game that is supposed to release within a few months.

Edited by Etheus

On 2/6/2019 at 3:50 PM, Jedi said:

On 2/6/2019 at 6:16 PM, Glennstavos said:

Shantae is Ret-2-Go!

But also:

So I'm not falling for anything.

"About to work on one of the biggest games ever but hey y'all don't assume too much from that statement."

Can I say she was asking for it?

13 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

So... Game crash concerns aside, how good is Piranha Plant?

Mid-tier at best, low tier at worst. He excels in edgeguarding and has a good recovery and Upsmash but that's about it. 

Joker. This is truly an unjust game. Your chances of winning are almost none. The key to victory lies in the strength of your bonds.

I've never been so ready to see a Nintendo character get his face ripped off. Not since Majora's Mask anyway.

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Joker. This is truly an unjust game. Your chances of winning are almost none. The key to victory lies in the strength of your bonds.

I've never been so ready to see a Nintendo character get his face ripped off. Not since Majora's Mask anyway.

Wait, why so? I am excited.

Just now, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Wait, why so? I am excited.

I'm anticipating Joker to have a move based on his ambush animation where he rips off the face of a shadow to reveal their true form. It won't have that affect on other characters (hopefully) but I expect the reference to be made.

21 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm anticipating Joker to have a move based on his ambush animation where he rips off the face of a shadow to reveal their true form. It won't have that affect on other characters (hopefully) but I expect the reference to be made.

They'll never see it coming.

Nice announcement of an announcement, Nintendo. All we learned was that 3.0 comes out in Spring, which isn't as precise of a date as I'd like. Guess we'll have to wait for the next Direct before they spill the details.

Edited by Glennstavos

I know this is off topic, but the other day I read about wobbling being controversial in Melee to the point where it was banned in Tennessee, and now four more states joined it in banning wobbling.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Ha, this reminds me of the minigames my friends and I would make up in versus mode when we were kids.

17 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I know this is off topic, but the other day I read about wobbling being controversial in Melee to the point where it was banned in Tennessee, and now four more states joined it in banning wobbling.

Yeah, the debate about whether wobbling should be banned has been examined for over a decade now.  Here's a good collection of clips people often cite on the subject. However, the real detriment to having wobbling be legal is how much more deadly that tactic is at lower level play. That video is just matches at a high enough level where professional players know what to avoid and the most optimal ways to kill Nana - which removes the threat of wobbling. For less optimal players, wobbling can end their tournament run sooner then they feel it should have. Wobbling is also not an execution heavy trick either. Just grab when Nana is with you and press A with a rhythmic timing. The reason why we didn't want to ban wobbling is that it's really the number one reason why Icies are considered viable in that game. You can do cool stuff with that character, but once Nana is dead, even Kirby is a more effective character than Solo Popo. 

It does provide some perspective on what to consider banning when it becomes a problem. Smash Ultimate has patches for now, and they already addressed Luigi's zero to death combo to a degree I'm not really sure about. Leading people to expect they might go after Pichu's lightning loops next. But one day patch updates will end, and ridiculous things may come to the surface only after that point. Wobbling was discovered in 2006, five years after Melee released. But to be fair, Melee didn't have anywhere near the competitive attention then that it has today, or that Ultimate will have for the forseeable future. 

On 2/15/2019 at 6:39 AM, Dai said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rKmWrdJ3Cvk

Nevermind, I was wrong. How unfortunate.

Well, can’t say I’m super surprised. But at least we (supposedly) have Stage Builder coming in spring along with Joker, right?

Edited by Perkilator

On 2/15/2019 at 8:02 PM, Glennstavos said:

Yeah, the debate about whether wobbling should be banned has been examined for over a decade now.  Here's a good collection of clips people often cite on the subject. However, the real detriment to having wobbling be legal is how much more deadly that tactic is at lower level play. That video is just matches at a high enough level where professional players know what to avoid and the most optimal ways to kill Nana - which removes the threat of wobbling. For less optimal players, wobbling can end their tournament run sooner then they feel it should have. Wobbling is also not an execution heavy trick either. Just grab when Nana is with you and press A with a rhythmic timing. The reason why we didn't want to ban wobbling is that it's really the number one reason why Icies are considered viable in that game. You can do cool stuff with that character, but once Nana is dead, even Kirby is a more effective character than Solo Popo. 

It does provide some perspective on what to consider banning when it becomes a problem. Smash Ultimate has patches for now, and they already addressed Luigi's zero to death combo to a degree I'm not really sure about. Leading people to expect they might go after Pichu's lightning loops next. But one day patch updates will end, and ridiculous things may come to the surface only after that point. Wobbling was discovered in 2006, five years after Melee released. But to be fair, Melee didn't have anywhere near the competitive attention then that it has today, or that Ultimate will have for the forseeable future. 

Looking at that video you posted, that second match is what really makes me scratch my head. Going from looking like you'd win easily to losing, and possibly being eliminated, because of wobbling would probably make me want to see it gone. Granted, KOing the support climber (the lead can be Popo or Nana depending on color scheme) renders it a non-factor, but still. I'd imagine it wouldn't be fun for the audience, either. And it doesn't help that it's not execution heavy - I once saw a video of a player wobbling with one hand and solving a Rubik's cube with his other hand.

Anyway, is Soma Cruz the only spirit with Giant Killer?

EDIT: I know I asked this several weeks ago, but with the game being a bit older, I think it couldn't hurt to ask again: are there any particularly bad matchups?

Edited by Shadow Mir