Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Soooooo if you're in Quickplay and you decide to take your own stock after your opponent SDs, the game will take away two stocks. No sportsmanship allowed on For Glory

No honor, no glory. Chivalry is still seen as an illusion (just like justice).

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if its old, but apparently Sakurai spoke about his working habits and health a little in an interview:

"I made some changes from what I used to do compared to now. For example, as a principle, I always left the office by 10 PM, no matter what. Many companies are discouraging extreme overtime these days, too."

Well that is good to know.

Despite these changes (which still sound incredibly dedicated to the cause to us), Sakurai did face some health issues during the game's development. He mentions that he dealt with "a lot of stomach problems" throughout, including a nasty sounding case of food poisoning.

"When you’ve got symptoms like food poisoning, you definitely have to go to the hospital, right? I’ve had that situation once or twice before during development. It was like I got food poisoning from some oysters that I didn’t eat... It was like my food had come into contact with them or something."

Secondhand food poisoning? Not so good.

And in response to events like that, his reactions:

Interviewer: Uh, so… Do you take some time off when that happens?

Sakurai: No, I don’t. I just get an IV drip and go to work like normal.

...If you use an IV drip on your job, I think you have issues. Please seek help.

On 3/5/2019 at 5:57 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

And in response to events like that, his reactions:

Interviewer: Uh, so… Do you take some time off when that happens?

Sakurai: No, I don’t. I just get an IV drip and go to work like normal.

...If you use an IV drip on your job, I think you have issues. Please seek help.

If this is what Sakurai has to do to keep making these games then I don't want another Smash Bros ever again. No one deserves to live like that.

58 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

If this is what Sakurai has to do to keep making these games then I don't want another Smash Bros ever again. No one deserves to live like that.

Thing is, that's likely just Sakurai, not Smash. Meaning he'd probably do the same thing on any other job.

ZeRo made a series of videos with his own Tier List for Smash Ultimate 2.0

Here's the Playlist.

And the Tier List: (I suggest to watch the videos before commenting on the actual list. He does a very good job explaining why every character is where it is, and there are definitely lots of surprises.)

Spoiler

0PYMQ0a.png

Who would have thought that the little yellow mouse went to train after Melee and returned as the mighty Smash Overlord?

4 hours ago, Jave said:

Reveal hidden contents

0PYMQ0a.png

Who would have thought that the little yellow mouse went to train after Melee and returned as the mighty Smash Overlord?

While I do love that people prefer to use the female alts for Pokemon Trainer, Corrin, and Robin, it's still kind of a shame they never use female Villager.

I haven't watched his videos yet, but I do want to. Soon. Hopefully. Nothing here really surprises me, though, except the gap between Lucina and Marth.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, TheGoodHoms said:

On 3/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, Florete said:

Thing is, that's likely just Sakurai, not Smash. Meaning he'd probably do the same thing on any other job.

The interview even says that it's because of his dedication; he isn't even required to show up regularly to work by virtue of being a outside contractor (even mentions that as long as development goes relatively smoothly, he could feasibly only show his person once a week).

Sakurai's just a workaholic, really.

47 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The interview even says that it's because of his dedication; he isn't even required to show up regularly to work by virtue of being a outside contractor (even mentions that as long as development goes relatively smoothly, he could feasibly only show his person once a week).

Sakurai's just a workaholic, really.

If that is the case, then Sakurai is becoming a legit madman.

Please take a break and just work at home.

11 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

If that is the case, then Sakurai is becoming a legit madman.

Please take a break and just work at home.

I don’t see that happening, he’s how he is, and always will be until he physically is unable.

Alright, so maybe I made that previous comment a bit hastily, but I still think Sakurai needs to change his work routine all things considered. It's great that he goes above and beyond for this series that deserves someone as passionate as he is leading development, but he's probably gone too far if he's suffering physical damage by continuing to do so. Just give the man a huge bonus after the DLC is finished and send him off on a vacation where he doesn't make any games for a few months.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

4 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Alright, so maybe I made that previous comment a bit hastily, but I still think Sakurai needs to change his work routine all things considered. It's great that he goes above and beyond for this series that deserves someone as passionate as he is leading development, but he's probably gone too far if he's suffering physical damage by continuing to do so. Just give the man a huge bonus after the DLC is finished and send him off on a vacation where he doesn't make any games for a few months.

He had a pretty lengthy vacation before Smash Ultimate actually. The last game he worked on before it was SSB4. Not that he doesn't deserve one after Ultimate of course, but like others have said, he is choosing to do this to himself for the love of the series. No one is making him work so hard. It's just what he honestly enjoys doing.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:39 PM, Jave said:

ZeRo made a series of videos with his own Tier List for Smash Ultimate 2.0

Here's the Playlist.

And the Tier List: (I suggest to watch the videos before commenting on the actual list. He does a very good job explaining why every character is where it is, and there are definitely lots of surprises.)

Hide contents

0PYMQ0a.png

Where's Daisy? I straight up don't see her.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Where's Daisy? I straight up don't see her.

All the echoes have differences that slightly separate them from the original. i.e. ZeRo considers Roy slightly better than Chrom, Ryu slightly better than Ken, etc. (Lucina is an exception since she's a whole tier above Marth).

Daisy isn't listed because there's absolutely nothing that separates her from Peach, therefore neither is slightly better than the other. For gameplay intents and purposes, Peach and Daisy are the exact same character.

3 minutes ago, Jave said:

All the echoes have differences that slightly separate them from the original. i.e. ZeRo considers Roy slightly better than Chrom, Ryu slightly better than Ken, etc. (Lucina is an exception since she's a whole tier above Marth).

Daisy isn't listed because there's absolutely nothing that separates her from Peach, therefore neither is slightly better than the other. For gameplay intents and purposes, Peach and Daisy are the exact same character.

Fair enough.

Man, I guess the days of Luigi being good are still long gone. Last time he was high was in the early days of Smash 4. Great to see Ike and Daisy so high though! Ike being that high is a huge difference from Brawl and Smash 4 too. lol wow

I trust ZeRo on any of his tier lists too. He knows his stuff, and he's an Ike main too, if memory serves. :D

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I just finished collecting all 1,303 Spirits currently in Smash Ultimate.

Good job!

Spoiler

Now do it again only this time speed-running you filthy casual.

Edited by PeaceRibbon
Interjections!

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

What took you so long?

Well once I started running out of spirits on the board I had to start summoning them. While I was doing that I realized there were some spirits I didn't have so I found out that they could only be purchased from the adventure mode shops. On top of all that my spirit points really started to dry up so I had to start replaying spirit battles just to sell of the duplicates. Also I'm in college so I didn't exactly have the time to binge play it.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:08 AM, TheGoodHoms said:

Well once I started running out of spirits on the board I had to start summoning them. While I was doing that I realized there were some spirits I didn't have so I found out that they could only be purchased from the adventure mode shops. On top of all that my spirit points really started to dry up so I had to start replaying spirit battles just to sell of the duplicates. Also I'm in college so I didn't exactly have the time to binge play it.

Just wait until the dlc characters add more spirits and new spirits getting added by events :p