How do you think the Brand of the Exalt chooses where to print itself?

Magic, pretty much.  

Alternatively, it has foresight powers and chooses a spot  based on things associated with the person.  Lucina's title in the epilogue is Foreseer, so it's in her eye (and Inigo has it similar due to the same circumstances making him count as a foreseer as well).  Owain's obsessed with his sword arm, Chrom is strong, and Emm I have no idea. Lissa doesn't have one, but I like to think it's just somewhere you can't look, like an internal organ or something, maybe her heart.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

42 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Magic, pretty much.  

Alternatively, it has foresight powers and chooses a spot  based on things associated with the person.  Lucina's title in the epilogue is Foreseer, so it's in her eye (and Inigo has it similar due to the same circumstances making him count as a foreseer as well).  Owain's obsessed with his sword arm, Chrom is strong, and Emm I have no idea. Lissa doesn't have one, but I like to think it's just somewhere you can't look, like an internal organ or something, maybe her heart.

Emm's is because she uses her mind and logic to discern situations.

And if Lissa's is inside her on her organs, it's probably on her heart. 

Idk if it'd be on an internal organ, but I'm really digging the idea of it choosing a spot based on the personality and stuff.

Maybe Lissa's is on her breast and she's just not saying it's there because that's considered a "private" part? The breast is over the heart.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Idk if it'd be on an internal organ, but I'm really digging the idea of it choosing a spot based on the personality and stuff.

Maybe Lissa's is on her breast and she's just not saying it's there because that's considered a "private" part? The breast is over the heart.

Lucina and Inigo show that it doesn't necessarily have to be on skin, so I'd think an internal organ brand is a fairly reasonable based on that.  

The Brand in Jugdral has a similar issue. Outside of maybe Julius with his forehead, none of the canonical Major Bloods show Brands on their bodies.

Although to be fair, most Jugdralians dress very conservatively. Which means only one thing- they need to wear less in the remakes! Women and men alike! Cmon Claud, I wedded you you to Silvia, put on the dancing costume! Show me the Brand of Bragi!

As is, the only, purely speculative, idea as to what Major Holy Blood brands look like are the images on the Crusader Scrolls in Thracia 776.

Grima's Fell Brand looks like a tramp stamp by the way. I think because I remember having heard eyes above your rear as a prison tattoo means your of some low status in the prison hierarchy. 

11 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Lucina and Inigo show that it doesn't necessarily have to be on skin, so I'd think an internal organ brand is a fairly reasonable based on that.  

An eye is still external, I'd think it would have to be external at least?

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Grima's Fell Brand looks like a tramp stamp by the way. I think because I remember having heard eyes above your rear as a prison tattoo means your of some low status in the prison hierarchy. 

Who has it where a tramp stamp would go? Robin's is on his/her hand.

13 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Who has it where a tramp stamp would go? Robin's is on his/her hand.

I know that no one has one there, I was just thinking out loud that I could see it being a tramp stamp, even if it isn't presently. Perhaps if you used a Fell Brand on Niles.

25 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

I assume it is just random. Think birthmarks or other random features of human bodies. It just pops up somewhere with little to no warning.

That did happen in Jugdral with the Hezul lineage. Assuming Exalt and Fell Blood function like the Holy Blood, it might be an apt case. Apparently a princess of Agustria inherited the Brand, but it didn't show itself until after she was married off to the vassal kingdom within Agustria of Nordion. This created a political mess within Agustria, the Agustrian royal family continued to be called Hezul's true descendants and rule the country, but the actual Major Blood line and the Mystletainn passed onto Nordion, which was subservient to the Augustrian king.

Something worth noting I guess is that, if I recall correctly, Ophelia gets the brand on her arm in her A support with Odin.

58 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I doubt that. Lissa's brand not appearing is a big part of her character in some of her supports. I really don't she'd react in such a way to it not showing up if it actually showed up. If that makes sense.

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That did happen in Jugdral with the Hezul lineage. Assuming Exalt and Fell Blood function like the Holy Blood, it might be an apt case. Apparently a princess of Agustria inherited the Brand, but it didn't show itself until after she was married off to the vassal kingdom within Agustria of Nordion. This created a political mess within Agustria, the Agustrian royal family continued to be called Hezul's true descendants and rule the country, but the actual Major Blood line and the Mystletainn passed onto Nordion, which was subservient to the Augustrian king.

Yup, as stated by Kaga, there is nothing special or unique on who the person is that determines where it surfaces. It is purely random. 

However, the Exalted bloodline is rather unique. It is said that everyone in the royal family has the Brand surface, with Lissa being the case of it not surfacing. Normally in Jugdral, this means Minor Blood. But Owain has the Brand, so him and Lissa would be Major Blood.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:45 PM, CatManThree said:

Lissa's brand not appearing is a big part of her character in some of her supports. 

Its hard canon that Lissa (so far as she knows from any part of her body she or anyone else has ever been able to see) has no brand. 

On 3/8/2018 at 8:43 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

Lissa doesn't have one, but I like to think it's just somewhere you can't look

...the idea of this being true and not being something she would have occasion to know until well into the years of a beyond-vanilla sex life is for some reason hilarious to me.

Lissa: "...from behind this time?"

Robin: "Yooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! You're not going to believe what I just found!" 

Edited by Shoblongoo

• 4 weeks later...

I always just thought it only appeared on the two first born children or perhaps the first born of each gender. Lissa's the third child in her family, and the second female. Lucina and her sibling are the first and second born and none of the other females who are potentially Chrom's kids say they have it. Inigo says he does. Though Morgan never mentions it. And Owain is Lissa's firstborn.

• 1 month later...

It's also possible that it's just genetics screwing her over - like she is more like her mother than her father, but she still retained the blood as sort of a recessive gene?

...It's also possible that the Brand not surfacing on her is a physical manifestation of either her not being worthy of Naga's blood (like, not being able to wield Falchion), or, since she was born in a turbulent time when Ylisse was in a freaking religious war, maybe a physical manifestation of Naga's disapproval of the Ylissian family's actions?  I have no idea how powerful Naga is in Awakening, but she does seem to be some sort of dragon spirit or ghost (looking at Tiki from the Future Past DLC), so maybe...?

I'd put more faith in the genetics thing, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

Magic, pretty much.  

Although I agree with a few people later in the thread who said it's likely random, this idea is really cool. Assuming this is the case and there is a method to the Brand's madness, I wonder where the royal siblings' father had his, considering he grew up to be a warmongering asshole? Maybe on his sword hand or something?

On 5/5/2018 at 9:36 PM, Soleater said:

It's also possible that it's just genetics screwing her over - like she is more like her mother than her father, but she still retained the blood as sort of a recessive gene?

...It's also possible that the Brand not surfacing on her is a physical manifestation of either her not being worthy of Naga's blood (like, not being able to wield Falchion), or, since she was born in a turbulent time when Ylisse was in a freaking religious war, maybe a physical manifestation of Naga's disapproval of the Ylissian family's actions?  I have no idea how powerful Naga is in Awakening, but she does seem to be some sort of dragon spirit or ghost (looking at Tiki from the Future Past DLC), so maybe...?

I'd put more faith in the genetics thing, though.

The brand has to be dominant to work as it's described though.  If it was recessive, The Ylissian royal family would have to be massively inbred to make sure it consistently appeared.  And at least in present day Ylisse, there does not seem to be any inbreeding going on for this purpose at all.  Closest is daughter of Chrom/Owain or aunt/uncle shenanigans involving Morgan, neither of which happen for blood purity purposes.

46 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The brand has to be dominant to work as it's described though.  If it was recessive, The Ylissian royal family would have to be massively inbred to make sure it consistently appeared.  And at least in present day Ylisse, there does not seem to be any inbreeding going on for this purpose at all.  Closest is daughter of Chrom/Owain or aunt/uncle shenanigans involving Morgan, neither of which happen for blood purity purposes.

That almost makes it seem as though anyone with the brand can wield Falchion....

I wonder if that IS the case and how Owain would feel if he found out...

8 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

That almost makes it seem as though anyone with the brand can wield Falchion....

I wonder if that IS the case and how Owain would feel if he found out...

From the looks of things, having brand =\= being able to use Falchion, unlike in FE4.

Otherwise Lucina’s sibling supports make no sense with at least Inigo.   They always assumed he couldn’t use it, despite him specifically stating he has a brand.  If having brand = can use Falchion, then this never should have been in question.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

From the looks of things, having brand =\= being able to use Falchion, unlike in FE4.

Otherwise Lucina’s sibling supports make no sense with at least Inigo.   They always assumed he couldn’t use it, despite him specifically stating he has a brand.  If having brand = can use Falchion, then this never should have been in question.

Not to mention, later in the support, whether or not Lucina's sibling has the brand, they manage to cleave the log given to them my Lucina in two - something that only someone who can access the power of the Falchion can apparently do.  So I guess logs are dragons too now