Which FE Characters would you want in the new Smash

Luis Liberato

On 3/12/2018 at 11:57 AM, Jotari said:

I think I'd rather Einherjar Cards over the Breidablik. Not only is the Breidablik from a mobile game, but it's kind of given the appearance to suggest it...sort of fires heroes. I'd expect multiple summons from something like that. As opposed to just picking up and throwing down a card. As far as Fire Emblem assist trophies range, characters I think that would really work under that system would be

Hey, if this means more FE cast, I'm cool with either one. It'll probably be Breidablik given how successful Heroes is.

*The Black Knight. Wouldn't be impossible to make a character in the game, but he's a bit too heavy set, and keeping him as an assist trophy can help emphasize his raw power by just destroying any characters that get near.

That's not true, BK can easily be in the game as Ganondorf & Bowser already proves. Alternatively he could also be a Boss fight.

*Ephraim. Don't really see him ever  getting in as a playable, but he'd make a cool assist trophy.

One of the most popular lords in the series & he would delegate to being an assist trophy?

Edited by Zangetsu

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Hey, if this means more FE cast, I'm cool with either one. It'll probably be Breidablik given how successful

That's not true, BK can easily be in the game as Ganondorf & Bowser already proves. Alternatively he could also be a Boss fight.

One of the most popular lords in the series & he would delegate to being an assist trophy?

I said wouldn't be impossible for the Black Knight.

34 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Hey, if this means more FE cast, I'm cool with either one. It'll probably be Breidablik given how successful

Oh yeah, regarding Ephraim, he still came behind Hector and Celica in the latest heroes poll,  and Ike, Lyn, Roy and Lucina weren't eligible for voting either. So that puts him in the top tier, but still really far away from most popular among the lords. So yeah, I see at least Hector, Celica and Lyn as being more likely to get the spot as playable character. So assist trophy it is.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh yeah, regarding Ephraim, he still came behind Hector and Celica in the latest heroes poll,  and Ike, Lyn, Roy and Lucina weren't eligible for voting either. So that puts him in the top tier, but still really far away from most popular among the lords. So yeah, I see at least Hector, Celica and Lyn as being more likely to get the spot as playable character. So assist trophy it is.

The most popular lords are in their own dimension when it comes to popularity & I've seen more than my share of those who clamoring for Ephraim to be included. Then again I see the same thing with Miciah & Azura, so I guess I'm not really adding anything here.

9 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Not that I'm disagreeing (far from it) but would you really say the same thing about Nurse Joy & Officer Jenny for being re occurring characters?

No, because at least some Annas are known to fight, especially recently.

What Fire Emblem characters that I wanted to see in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Switch title is:

1. Have Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin kept in the game.
  2. Either add Alm from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia as a newcomer in the base roster and give him a bow to avoid the Plain Swordsman Category or Celica to the Roster, I don't know about using Celica in the roster since she does have Magic attacks, but it would be too similar to Robin.
  3. Probably add the protagonist from the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title as an unlockable newcomer similar to like Roy from Super Smash Bros. Melee since The Binding Blade was released after Super Smash Bros. Melee or a DLC newcomer similar to like how Corrin was added to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U after Fire Emblem Fates was released after Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.
  4. For Assist Trophies, I think Lyn is probably going to stay as an Assist Trophy character. I do like to see if Sakurai can add the Black Knight, Caeda or one of the Whitewings, and Celica with Ragnarok explosion (incase if Alm was added) as Assist Trophies so that Lyn won't become the only Assist Trophy from the Fire Emblem franchise.

On 3/12/2018 at 9:51 PM, NoirCore said:

No, because at least some Annas are known to fight, especially recently.

Well I can't argue with that logic.

Edited by Zangetsu

Established Movesets

Marth/Roy/Lyn as alternate costumes of the Marth/Lord moveset rather than separate clones. If it works for Bowser Jr., it would work for them.

Ike/Alm/Chrom/Lucina as alternate costumes of the Ike/Hero moveset.

Robin/Celica as alternate costumes of Robin/Spellsword moveset.

Corrin

New Movesets

FE Switch protagonist

Azura

Anna/Takumi (Archer Moveset)

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Established Movesets

Marth/Roy/Lyn as alternate costumes of the Marth/Lord moveset rather than separate clones. If it works for Bowser Jr., it would work for them.

Ike/Alm/Chrom/Lucina as alternate costumes of the Ike/Hero moveset.

Robin/Celica as alternate costumes of Robin/Spellsword moveset.

Corrin

New Movesets

FE Switch protagonist

Azura

Anna/Takumi (Archer Moveset)

You know this would really suck. A lot. Marth and Roy are different enough in Sm4sh to warrant not being alternate costumes. I would maybe reluctantly accept Lucina as a Marth costume but i'm also not ok with that. Lyn as a Marth costume makes even less sense, as they are an entirely different kind of swordfighter. Having Alm and Chrom be just Ike costumes also isn't a good idea. They don't have to be complete clones of him. And it wouldn't make sense at all for them to be doing Aether like Ike does it. Same story with Celica. They can do a lot to make her stand out from Robin. She doesn't have any excuse for using Nosferatu, or thoron, or arcfire, or elwind. And how would pairup work? It makes very little sense and they could easily not make her a Robin clone. 

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

You know this would really suck. A lot. Marth and Roy are different enough in Sm4sh to warrant not being alternate costumes. I would maybe reluctantly accept Lucina as a Marth costume but i'm also not ok with that. Lyn as a Marth costume makes even less sense, as they are an entirely different kind of swordfighter. Having Alm and Chrom be just Ike costumes also isn't a good idea. They don't have to be complete clones of him. And it wouldn't make sense at all for them to be doing Aether like Ike does it. Same story with Celica. They can do a lot to make her stand out from Robin. She doesn't have any excuse for using Nosferatu, or thoron, or arcfire, or elwind. And how would pairup work? It makes very little sense and they could easily not make her a Robin clone. 

Let me put it this way.... do you want new Fire Emblem characters or not?

As is, people already complain that Fire Emblem is over-represented in the Smash franchise. This is ridiculous, considering the number of games in the FE franchise, but it is an understandable and valid criticism given the extreme under-representation of Zelda, Pokemon, and Metroid in particular.

The best way to represent Fire Emblem's diverse roster is to preserve existing movesets, consolidate clones into costumes, and add characters that could plausibly use an existing moveset as costumes of an existing moveset.

Yes, there are minute differences between Marth, Roy, and Lucina. Differences so minor that the average casual player isn't even going to notice them. These minute differences are worth giving up if that makes room for additional representation for other FE characters.

Smash isn't a franchise for everyone you ever wanted to be represented perfectly in detail to their source games. It's a tribute. It's an advertisement. It is the best means for Fire Emblem to gain exposure to casual audiences.

So yes, it is a good idea to lump characters into styles that could be plausible from a casual gameplay perspective, or else lose them entirely.

It is slightly unfortunate for Lucina/Chrom/Lyn/Alm/Celica to be treated as costumes or to not be in the game at all. It is far, far worse to allow these characters to take dedicated roster slots from potentially interesting new movesets (like lances, axes, archers, mages, knights, wyvern riders, pegasus riders, and paladins). That's how this series changes its outside perception from being all about generic sword lords. That's how new Fire Emblem characters become exciting rather than a boring meme to the average Smash player.

Edited by Etheus

35 minutes ago, Etheus said:

As is, people already complain that Fire Emblem is over-represented in the Smash franchise. This is ridiculous, considering the number of games in the FE franchise, but it is an understandable and valid criticism given the extreme under-representation of Zelda, Pokemon, and Metroid in particular.

The best way to represent Fire Emblem's diverse roster is to preserve existing movesets, consolidate clones into costumes, and add characters that could plausibly use an existing moveset as costumes of an existing moveset.

Yes, there are minute differences between Marth, Roy, and Lucina. Differences so minor that the average casual player isn't even going to notice them. These minute differences are worth giving up if that makes room for additional representation for other FE characters.

Smash isn't a franchise for everyone you ever wanted to be represented perfectly in detail to their source games. It's a tribute. It's an advertisement. It is the best means for Fire Emblem to gain exposure to casual audiences.

So yes, it is a good idea to lump characters into styles that could be plausible from a casual gameplay perspective, or else lose them entirely.

It is slightly unfortunate for Lucina/Chrom/Lyn/Alm/Celica to be treated as costumes or to not be in the game at all. It is far, far worse to allow these characters to take dedicated roster slots from potentially interesting new movesets (like lances, axes, archers, mages, knights, wyvern riders, pegasus riders, and paladins). That's how this series changes its outside perception from being all about generic sword lords. That's how new Fire Emblem characters become exciting rather than a boring meme to the average Smash player.

I'm gonna be frank - this is not only overambitious, it's also blatantly unrealistic. Also, I'm against more FE characters if they're simply going to be reduced to costumes.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

34 minutes ago, Etheus said:

If i'm being frank, no I don't want more Fire Emblem characters if they are just going to be reduced to costumes.

13 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

If i'm being frank, no I don't want more Fire Emblem characters if they are just going to be reduced to costumes.

But what harm would there be in it? They've already done it once with the Koopalings and Alf. I doubt they're going to give like three different charcter alts for each playable character, many of them would probably feel forced, but if there's one or two here or there, then I don't see much to complain about.

47 minutes ago, Etheus said:

extreme under-representation of Zelda, Pokemon, and Metroid in particular.

Huh?

Zelda is arguable here, but it still has the triforce trio and alternate forms of two of them. Given the kind of series it is, no one else screams "necessary inclusion!"

Metroid is only barely arguable. There are hardly any other candidates throughout the series in the first place if you don't consider Ridley an option. In general, those options that do exist aren't very popular.

Pokemon? Underrepresented? That is a joke.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But what harm would there be in it? They've already done it once with the Koopalings and Alf. I doubt they're going to give like three different charcter alts for each playable character, many of them would probably feel forced, but if there's one or two here or there, then I don't see much to complain about.

I don't like seperate characters as different costumes. I don't know enough about Pikmin to comment about Alf, but I can forgive Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings thanks to there being so many of them, but any of them besides Bowser Jr. don't fit at all with a koopa clown cart, as they barely use it and is really Bowser Jr's thing. But I certainly don't think it works with Fire Emblem. Maybe you don't see much to complain about, but at the end of the day, not everyone feels the same way as other people.

2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I don't like seperate characters as different costumes. I don't know enough about Pikmin to comment about Alf, but I can forgive Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings thanks to there being so many of them, but any of them besides Bowser Jr. don't fit at all with a koopa clown cart, as they barely use it and is really Bowser Jr's thing. But I certainly don't think it works with Fire Emblem. Maybe you don't see much to complain about, but at the end of the day, not everyone feels the same way as other people.

But there's loads of Fire Emblem characters, just like the kooaplings, that's the point. If you don't want to play as Robin dressed up as Celica, then that's fine, but someone else might, so I literally can't understand why someone would be upset by such a suggestion. Unless one thinks it's a waste of development time, in which case I'd dispute such a suggestion since it's just a character model swap, and they'll be making or importing such character models anyway if such characters are going to appear as trophies. Mapping them to an existing fighter is barely any work at all.

14 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But there's loads of Fire Emblem characters, just like the kooaplings, that's the point. If you don't want to play as Robin dressed up as Celica, then that's fine, but someone else might, so I literally can't understand why someone would be upset by such a suggestion. Unless one thinks it's a waste of development time, in which case I'd dispute such a suggestion since it's just a character model swap, and they'll be making or importing such character models anyway if such characters are going to appear as trophies. Mapping them to an existing fighter is barely any work at all.

I'm against it because honestly, there's only so far you can take it before it feels forced. And frankly, a Celica skin for Robin would feel rather forced - FFS, the only spell common to both games is Thunder, and Awakening made it more like a Hadouken than the lightning boly it normally is.

18 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I'm against it because honestly, there's only so far you can take it before it feels forced. And frankly, a Celica skin for Robin would feel rather forced - FFS, the only spell common to both games is Thunder, and Awakening made it more like a Hadouken than the lightning boly it normally is.

Again, we're more concerned with specific animations than with character representation.

Fine then. Celica is not worth representing at all. Not if she requires her own moveset, and certainly not at the expense of characters like Azura, Hector, Minerva, Ephraim, Takumi, or anyone else who could be selected to show the Smash Bros. audience something other than an interchangeable sword lord. 

Edited by Etheus

9 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Nah, I think characters as alts would be fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Smash community really has an issue with characters being included as alts? If there's only so far you can take it before it feels forced, then take it until you have to stop behind the forced line. (Of course, I can't see Celica as a Robin alt since I don't think even reskinning the spells into just fire would look good.)

42 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You know how I feel about it, if you're arguing it makes no sense, you do you! I couldn't care less what you think to be fair.

4 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

You know how I feel about it, if you're arguing it makes no sense, you do you! I couldn't care less what you think to be fair.

I know how you feel, but I don't know why you feel it.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I know how you feel, but I don't know why you feel it.

I feel like this because I feel it takes the uniqueness of characters away.