Which FE Characters would you want in the new Smash

Luis Liberato

10 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Again, we're more concerned with specific animations than with character representation.

Fine then. Celica is not worth representing at all. Not if she requires her own moveset, and certainly not at the expense of characters like Azura, Hector, Minerva, Ephraim, Takumi, or anyone else who could be selected to show the Smash Bros. audience something other than an interchangeable sword lord. 

So you think that some minor character who most people wouldn't give a rat's ass about (Minerva) would actually draw attention from casuals. How naive.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I feel like this because I feel it takes the uniqueness of characters away.

Having them serve as clones is even worse about this, if anything. It highlights them as being nearly identical to someone else while also making them take a physical slot on the roster.

If you're going to make Roy just "Marth with Fire" or Lucina "Marth but does more damage with the center of her sword than with the tip," go all the way. Either make then unique or make them an alt.

Half measures help no one and only cause a perception that a slot has been stolen from a character that could actually bring something new to the table. One Hector or Azura is worth more than 2-3 slightly different clones of Marth.

Edited by Etheus

2 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

So you think that some minor character who most people wouldn't give a rat's ass about (Minerva) would actually draw attention from casuals. How naive.

Implying that people actually care more about Celica - one of two lords in a game which had mediocre sales, which was a remake of one of the weakest games in the franchise. That's absurd.

Fine then. If not Minerva, we could have Camilla and her twins. The casuals would certainly care about that.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Implying that people actually care more about Celica - one of two lords in a game which had mediocre sales, which was a remake of one of the weakest games in the franchise. That's absurd.

Fine then. If not Minerva, we could have Camilla and her twins. The casuals would certainly care about that.

Not as absurd as throwing in some random minor character who has little story relevance, that's for damn sure.

19 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Nah, I think characters as alts would be fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Smash community really has an issue with characters being included as alts? If there's only so far you can take it before it feels forced, then take it until you have to stop behind the forced line. (Of course, I can't see Celica as a Robin alt since I don't think even reskinning the spells into just fire would look good.)

I dunno about whether or not the Smash community has an issue with characters as alts, but I'd certainly be bothered by it, personally.

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Not as absurd as throwing in some random minor character who has little story relevance, that's for damn sure.

I dunno about whether or not the Smash community has an issue with characters as alts, but I'd certainly be bothered by it, personally.

I'm pointing out the inherent absurdity of your argument. A casual player with no franchise knowledge does not care who a character is. They care if that character is cool and interesting. 

I mean, ffs, this entire franchise went westward off the backs of Marth and Roy looking cool in Smash Bros. Melee. No one knew or cared who they were, but it was enough to get people intrigued.

I'm very done with this argument to be honest. I personally feel like making characters just costumes takes away from them. If you don't agree, that's fine, and I honeslty don't care at all.

40 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'm pointing out the inherent absurdity of your argument. A casual player with no franchise knowledge does not care who a character is. They care if that character is cool and interesting. 

I mean, ffs, this entire franchise went westward off the backs of Marth and Roy looking cool in Smash Bros. Melee. No one knew or cared who they were, but it was enough to get people intrigued.

If you wanna talk about absurd arguments, let's talk about your harebrained notion that Zelda, Metroid, and Pokémon, of all things, are underrepresented. Metroid, I can understand, albeit only barely, but not the others, and especially not Pokémon. As stated earlier, about the only non-Samus option for Metroid is Ridley, and Zelda already has the chosen ones in.

I'm not gonna deny that the franchise got off the ground in the west because of Marth and Roy, but I doubt you'd get much attention by throwing in a random character from a game that is old.

On 3/10/2018 at 4:36 AM, Florete said:

Current FE roster and the likelihood of them sticking around: Marth > Ike > Robin > Lucina > Roy > Corrin. I'd like them all to stick around, though. (except male Corrin) It's hard to know the actual likelihood of potential cuts until we get more information about the game itself.

The only FE newcomer I see standing any real chance is the FE Switch lead/sidekick. I can't see Alm or Celica happening, the game is past, was never as big as Awakening or Fates, and Alm especially would have the same problem Chrom did. Lyn is super popular and I'd personally love to see her in, but she'd be another sword user from an old game. And anyone else from older games, like Hector or Ephraim, is also out. Anyone from the games up to and including Fates I think are out.

If we were sure to get an FE newcomer (we're not, of course) and we had reason to believe it would not be an FE Switch character, I think I'd put my money on Anna. She's the most recurring character in the series, has been playable in every recent FE aside from Echoes (including the recent spin-offs), and could even represent Nintendo's jump into the mobile market with her Heroes design. She would even have the added benefit of being a non-male, non-sword FE fighter. But I'm not expecting this at all.

Why in particular male Corrin and not female Corrin as well? 

OT: Personally would love to see Micaiah and maybe Hector. 

Edited by Icelerate

1 minute ago, Michelaar said:

Don't see why people want Corrin removed. They have a unique moveset and everything.

Agreed, would rather have Lucina and Roy removed before Corrin although I'm not a fan of removing characters. This is a fighting game and a lot of Nintendo characters barely have any character so it doesn't matter if Corrin is considered to be an awful character. 

OT: I think it would be cool if certain FE characters can be costumes of preexisting characters. Black Knight can be a costume of Ike, Eliwood can be a costume of Roy, etc.

7 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Agreed, would rather have Lucina and Roy removed before Corrin although I'm not a fan of removing characters. This is a fighting game and a lot of Nintendo characters barely have any character so it doesn't matter if Corrin is considered to be an awful character. 

OT: I think it would be cool if certain FE characters can be costumes of preexisting characters. Black Knight can be a costume of Ike, Eliwood can be a costume of Roy, etc.

How would that one work. Black Knight could plausibly move and fight at Ike's relatively slow speed, but his frame and hitbox seem like they would be inherently too large to turn into a costume swap.

That said, he'd made a great story boss.

Just now, Etheus said:

How would that one work. Black Knight could plausibly move and fight at Ike's relatively slow speed, but his frame and hitbox seem like they would be inherently too large to turn into a costume swap.

That said, he'd made a great story boss.

The same way Chrom and BK are costumes of Mii sword fighter. 

Well, I'd like non sword lords next time. Robin is the closest thing of such so far, but he still uses a sword. Maybe a purely magic user, or lance could go well, like Amelia or Linde

23 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I'd rather just not have them remove anyone at all tbh.

Ah this is because you don't like to stir controversy like most people, which is a compliment by the by. 

I don't see Lucina going anywhere, she's too iconic to the franchise, she'll likely be retooled, or kept as an "easy" to use Marth. Honestly though for moveset inspiration all they have to do is look at her Awakening cutscene fight with Chrom, and her Warriors moveset (shared by Chrom but hey thats the fighting style she inherted not Marths). 

Roy will likely either be, on the base roster or a DLC again, focusing again on being more in your face Captain Falcon like as a Sword fighter which is unique in terms of smash but needs to be utilized better, his grab and tech chase game was good, he just needs better reach and maybe some better options. 

Corrin is in a weird spot being super unique but Fates not being as well recieved as expected, but I don't expect them to go. 

Robin is likely safe

Ike and Marth are staying. 

As for who they'd add? Celica & Lyn's heroes popularty lend themselves to the potential, with Lyn being able to be a very percise eastern styled swordswoman which is a swordstyle not used in Smash (Marth's is techical but he can still swing wildly and get away with it), despite Eastern Swordsmanship being very popular in fighting games with weapons and she could fill that niche. 

Celica could be any number of things, but might feel redundant with Robin which might lend itself to either, A. A switch with Robin or B a unique spellcaster who like Pichu before takes damage from their own special moves but not to a joke character extent and the payoff would be massively powerful spell attacks from Gaiden/Echoes. 

The FE16 lord whomever they are likely has this potential slot more than anyone, but we have no clue about who or what they are.

Edited by Jedi

I'm hoping for some variety myself. 3 characters are clones and almost all use only swords (save Robin and Corrin).

My picks for characters are Tiki, Alm, Celica, Ephraim, and Hector.

I'd really like to see Celica using an entirely different spellset and sword style than Robin rather than being a semi-clone, perhaps one of the two becoming more melee oriented and the other more magic oriented?

Alm is basically a package deal with Celica. Admittedly, I see him playing mostly like Link, but he could maybe use some arts in his moveset? (ie: Windweep as a risky-but-rewarding way to punish counters).

Tiki's had multiple appearances and could probably have a dragonstone mechanic or something. When not in dragon form, she'd flail around like in Warriors

Ephraim and Hector- They're both pretty popular (and not sword users).

Roy and Lucina could be made into an alternate sword style for Marth or something, IMO. (Unless Roy could be made unique. He's much more of a semiclone compared to Lucina) 

I'm going to talk about my rooster idea for an actual new Smash game, since I'm sure the newly announced game is just an enhanced port of sm4sh in the likes of mk8 or spla2oon (maybe leaning more towards spla2oon with a new subspace emissary kind of story mode, but still essentially the same game) and all current characters will remain with the possible adition of a fe16 protag. With that in mind:

Keep: Marth, Robin, Ike. Lucina as Marth's clone.

Marth isn't going anywhere, and I doubt Ike would either. He's extremely popular in the west and FEH got him more popular in japan as well. If anything, maybe we'll get a FE9&10 HD port on the Switch eventually to keep his popularity and get some easy money. Robin and Lucina as representatives of the most popular game, plus Robin has a unique gameplay style.

Maybe?: Roy, Corrin. 

I can see Corrin staying on the rooster (and I'm personally rosting for them as well since I like their design and Warriors proved they can be nice if taken out of the Avatar role), but if they were making a cut them they are the most likely in my eyes. Roy is a complicated case: he's popular enough to be kept in the rooster, but I don't see him being anything other than a Marth clone purely because of the possibility of a FE6 Echoes. If that does end up happening in the future, then they will wait until them to make him into an actual character.

Most Likely: FE16 protagonist. It's pretty much confirmed since all new fe games had representation in smash since melee.

Want:

- Anna. Shes supposed to be the series mascot even though Marth takes that spot in smash, and warriors showed that she can have an interesting moveset. They can go all crazy and have her do things like summon any of the assist items (she is a merchant after all), and attack with the flagship weapons of past protagonists. If anything, they can just use the awakening version as a basis, but I'd prefeer to see her pulling a falchion out of her bag, honestly.

- Tiki. Popular and cute, if corrin gets cut they can reutilize their dragon moves on her. Final smash called dragonstone+ where she transforms into her divine dragon form and causes Naga-level destruction on her enemies. Would be able if we could choose between the Archanea and Yllise versions as well.

Honestly I feel like there are enough FE reps already in Smash, about the only new FE character I expect is FE 16's Lord who I hope to Naga is Not a sword lord.  As to who I would want that would be any non sword user, I don't even care who as long as they don't use sword and have an interesting move set.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

If you wanna talk about absurd arguments, let's talk about your harebrained notion that Zelda, Metroid, and Pokémon, of all things, are underrepresented. Metroid, I can understand, albeit only barely, but not the others, and especially not Pokémon. As stated earlier, about the only non-Samus option for Metroid is Ridley, and Zelda already has the chosen ones in.

I'm not gonna deny that the franchise got off the ground in the west because of Marth and Roy, but I doubt you'd get much attention by throwing in a random character from a game that is old.

Harebrained? No, no, no. I'm being completely real.

(As of Smash 4) 

Metroid has two characters, both of which are Samus. TWO. I'll grant that this one comes down to Metroid having so few viable canon characters. They could potentially add Sylux since his importance is increasing and he makes more plausible sense than Ridley as a playable character.

Zelda has 5 characters, for one of Nintendo's most popular and enduring franchises. Now consider that two of those were split from a single character from Melee/Brawl. One of those is a semi-clone of Link. And then we have Ganondorf, who is a less viable clone of Captain Falcon for some reason unknown to human minds. So yes, Zelda is incredibly under-represented. This is a fact. Even if we make the argument that Zelda is lacking in quantity of characters, we're still missing Midna, Zant, Ghirahim, Tingle (please no), Impa, Vaati, Fi, and others as potential characters. Plus the quite frankly mandatory decloning of Ganondorf. Now, we even have the champions of Breath of the Wild as popular candidates for addition, so there is really no excuse for the franchise to not considerably increase its representation in Smash 5. 

Pokemon has a whopping 6 characters, out of well over 700 potential Pokemon to choose from. Even if we consider that they are all unique movesets, that's the same quantity that Fire Emblem is taking up right now. Seems pretty under-represented to me, considering the fanbase of Pokemon could essentially populate another planet.