Which FE Characters would you want in the new Smash

Luis Liberato

What I want to see: I would love for Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin to return as part of the base game, and for the Fire Emblem Switch protagonist or avatar to be a newcomer in the base game to promote the new game.

What we will probably see: Marth, Ike, and Robin are basically guaranteed to return, and Corrin is likely to return. The others have a good chance of being cut. We will probably get the Fire Emblem Switch protagonist or avatar at some point, but possibly as DLC.

Assist Trophy: Lyn will almost certainly return. I would like for Anna to become an assist trophy as well.

Regular Trophies: The trophies will likely mostly be based on Awakening and Fates if the base game does not feature Fire Emblem Switch content. If Fire Emblem Switch content is in the base game, most trophies will likely be based on that game. I would like to see more Fates trophies, since only Ryoma and Xander got trophies in Smash 4.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moveset ideas.

Alm

Spoiler

Alm fights a lot like Roy with a focus on swift, strong hits. A bit on the slow slide but not nearly as slow as Ike.

Neutral Special 1: Double Lion: Roy charges up his sword and then delivers two strikes, similar to Marth's Shield Breaker and Ike's Eruption. The first attack chains into the second with set knockback, like Link's forward smash. Can start the charge in the air. Using the attack in the air slows his falling speed, but does not move him forward.

Neutral Special 2: Wind Sweep: Roy charges up his sword and then unleashes a single attack with a Wind Hit Box. Like Ike's Tempest, it will cause him to rise very slightly if performed in the air.

Neutral Special 3: Subdue: Roy charges up his sword and then unleashes a single attack. Deals a very high level of % damage, but only very minor, set, knockback, making it look like a deceptively weak attack.

Side Special 1: Curved Shot: Alm takes out a bow and fires an arrow. The angle in which it can be fired can be altered with the control stick, but he cannot fire upwards or turn around like Pit.

Side Special 2: Hunter’s Volley: Alm takes out a bow and fires two arrows in a high arc. Comes out fast, travels far and deals good damage, but the esoteric direction in which he fires makes it hard to actually hit with.

Side Special 3: Heavy Draw: Alm takes out a bow and slowly fires an arrow that travels forward at great speed, dealing high knockback.

Up Special 1: Sendscale: Very similar to Shulk’s Air Slash, Alm slashes upwards once, bringing his opponent with him, then, at the apex of the attack, he slashes a second time, knocking his enemy away. Has good vertical recovery, but practically no horizontal recovery. The image of a cross lingers for a few seconds after the attack, dealing light damage to any enemies that happen to wander into it.

Up Special 2: Crosswise Cut: A variation of Send Scale that offers more horizontal recovery at the cost of less power. Does not leave the afterimage of a cross.

Up Special 3: Decide: Alm knocks his foe upwards and then back towards the ground, similar to Kirby’s final cutter, only dealing a higher level of damage and without the blade beam.

Down Special 1: Counter: Simple, unexciting, but very useful, counter.

Down Special 2: Aegis: Alm raises his shield and flashes red, reflecting any projectiles fired at him.

Down Special 3: Renewal: Alm holds the Falcion in the air and recovers 5%. Has a high startup lag and can’t be cancelled.

Final Smash: Duma's Strength: Alm's sword glows with the blue light featured in Sendscale, increasing his range and offenseive power. During the final Smash, Alm can receive damage from enemies, but is immune to knockback.

Celica, she started out as a sort of clone of Robin, but steadily became more unique and interesting.

Spoiler

Celica, fights a lot like Robin, with high focus on using specials for spacing. However, her movement speed is much faster than Robin’s and her specials have infinite use, but consume her own HP. Reflecting how Ragnarok works in Heroes, Celica deals increased damage the lower her HP is. Sort of like an inverse Aura. She deals minimum damage at 100% and above (this effect does not clash with Rage, which means she deals higher % when she’s healthy, but higher knockback when she’s endanger of being KO’d). Celica is pretty light and easy to KO at any damage, but her Down Specials all provide her the ability to recover damage inflicted on her.

Neutral Special 1: Ragnarok: Celica charges up a large attack that hits an area in front of her about the same size as Palutena’s Sacred Flame, although it comes out faster than Sacred Flame and any enemies standing directly in front of Celica will be knocked into the attack. The charge can be stored. Deals 10% to Celica.

Neutral Special 2: Ragnarok Omega: Charges for longer and deals more damage to Celica when used, but has significantly higher range and damage output. The charge can be storied. Deals 15% to Celica.

Neutral Special 3: Sagittae: Celica charges up and shoots several fast moving arrows. Deals less damage than Ragnarok, but with a more conventional direction of fire. The charge can be storied. Deals 8% to Celica.

Side Special 1: Fire: Celica throws a fire ball on the ground, nearly identical to Robin’s Side Special. Deals 3% to Celica.

Side Special 2: Thunder: Celica causes a bolt of lightning to strike an area in front of her. Has about the same range as Fire, but the attack comes from directly above instead of beside Celica. The attack is very brief, meaning it can’t be used as well for spacing, but it does knock enemies upwards significantly, setting up potential combos. Deals 3% to Celica.

Side Special 3: Aura: Several rings of light appear in front of Celica, knocking enemies upwards. Slower and more powerful than Thunder with a wider area of coverage. Deals 6% damage to Celica.

Up Special 1: Excalibur: Celica shoots a mighty gust of wind downwards, that propels her upwards. Has a wind hitbox that pushes enemies down in the air, or horizontally away from Celica when used on the ground. Deals 2% to Celica.

Up Special 2: Seraphim: Celica propels herself upwards using light magic. More powerful than Excalibur, but lacks any wind hitboxes. Deals 4% to Celica.

Up Special 3: Teleport: Similar to Farore’s Wind and various other warping abilities in the game. Celica vanishes and reappears some distance away, depending on where you point the control stick. Celica deals damage both when vanishing and reappearing. Compared to other Warping moves in the game, Celica disappears very fast, with little time to punish as the attack starts up. Deals 5% damage to Celica.

Down Special 1: Plentitude: Celica counters an enemy’s attack. If the attack connects, Celica recovers the amount of damage dealt to the enemy (which ranges between 6% and 10% depending on Celica’s own health). Does not deal any damage to Celica.

Down Special 2: Nosferatu: Almost identical to Robin’s version, only aesthetically using light magic instead of dark magic. Celica’s hardest to hit, but most potent healing ability. If used at 20%  or below, it will fully heal her. If used at 100% it will heal her by 10%. It also does not deal any increased damage by hitting the enemy from behind. Does not deal any damage to Celica.

Down Special 3: Renewal: Identical to Alm’s version. She holds her sword above her head and recovers 5% if not interrupted by an enemy’s attack. Does not deal any damage to Celica.

Final Smash: Mila’s Blessing: Celica starts to glow with Mila’s divine protection. For a time, her speed is increased drastically and her attacks will always deal full damage regardless of how much damage she’s incurred. She will also slowly recover health (healing for 30% total) and the HP cost of her specials will be ignored. Like Warioman and Giga Bowser, enemies can damage Celica throughout the final smash, but she will ignore all knockback (this means she can Charge and Spam Ragnarok as she pleases, completely ignoring the downsides).

Edited by Jotari

I only really really want Micaiah, specially if she is playable, but if she can appear at least a trophy would be nice to she be actually recognized.

I think it would be great to have more Fire Emblem Assist Trophies (or even create a new type of Assist Invocation using the Breidablik, that would be fun).

I did this post for Source Gaming talking about Micaiah and a moveset I think alongside a friend.

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/12/22/ds-micaiah/

Edited by Troykv

Hector. I even have a few ideas as to what his moveset would consist of (inspired from the amazing sprite animations that is gba FE games) although nothing too detailed. Just his B specials.

Spoiler

Hector is similar to Ike in the weight and movement department. Possibly a bit faster but heavier than him.

Neutral B: Hector drops his axe behind him and begins to charge. After charging, he swings his axe twice. First horizontal swing deals the bulk of the damage but has little to no knockback, second downward swing is where all the knockback is but deals little damage. He can hold the charge and execute the move later similar to Donkey Kong’s punch. If done mid-air, only a downward swing is performed but has a spiking effect if fully charged.

6CFC4A6B-29C3-444D-8DA8-01159E3437F8.gif.470c10d0b76085682894f2782c3be95a.gif

Side B: Hector quickly throws a hand axe. Hits twice. One for when he throws it and again when it returns. Does not go as far as say, Link’s boomerang, and cannot control its trajectory. Has some knockback and deals ok damage. Might finish off someone at high percentage (175% maybe)

Down B: Hector uses the Devil Axe. It is swung in an overarching-downward motion. As one would expect, it would likely be his most powerful attack, awesome launching power and high damage. It does however come with the heavy drawback of possibly hurting himself instead (only if he actually hit a player) Does not get launched but instantly receives 50% damage.

Up B: Does a leap into the air and comes crashing down with his axe. Getting hit by this attack deals considerable knockback. Getting caught by it when he lands is when it knocksback the most. Good horizontal recovery but not so great vertical.

73450AC4-F72B-43EF-A4B6-4EA0EC54F451.gif.8323566f68e14b0f2c69c0f475f50791.gif

Final Smash: Haven’t given to much thought to this but the most obvious thing would be to have him perform his Armads critical animation. Anyone caught in the initial axe spinning is caught for the rest of the attack. At the end of the attack lightning comes down striking random places of the battlefield.

C4B3FE23-B781-46BF-80DA-399AF028D080.gif.82e6f6623f306005fc445d5c5ee83dd6.gif

Honestly, all I want is for Roy to return. They brought him back as DLC in Smash 4 due to popular demand, are they really going to cut him again?

I don't agree with Roy being made a Marth alt. Disgusting idea, really. Roy received the Luigi treatment in Smash 4, so he deserves his own slot.

If I had to choose a new character...I'd have to say Azura really. She has so much potential for a moveset, as Warriors has shown us, plus she's a girl who uses a lance, two birds, one stone. That ought to please people.

Current FE roster and the likelihood of them sticking around: Marth > Ike > Robin > Lucina > Roy > Corrin. I'd like them all to stick around, though. (except male Corrin) It's hard to know the actual likelihood of potential cuts until we get more information about the game itself.

The only FE newcomer I see standing any real chance is the FE Switch lead/sidekick. I can't see Alm or Celica happening, the game is past, was never as big as Awakening or Fates, and Alm especially would have the same problem Chrom did. Lyn is super popular and I'd personally love to see her in, but she'd be another sword user from an old game. And anyone else from older games, like Hector or Ephraim, is also out. Anyone from the games up to and including Fates I think are out.

If we were sure to get an FE newcomer (we're not, of course) and we had reason to believe it would not be an FE Switch character, I think I'd put my money on Anna. She's the most recurring character in the series, has been playable in every recent FE aside from Echoes (including the recent spin-offs), and could even represent Nintendo's jump into the mobile market with her Heroes design. She would even have the added benefit of being a non-male, non-sword FE fighter. But I'm not expecting this at all.

12 hours ago, Troykv said:

I think it would be great to have more Fire Emblem Assist Trophies (or even create a new type of Assist Invocation using the Breidablik, that would be fun).

I'm in favor for this idea. I feel having Breidablik being an item similar to Pokeballs is the best way to add more Fire Emblem characters to Smash without them 'taking up too many slots' though I'm not sure how likely Nintendo will acknowledge or represent their phone games in Smash.

What I'd prefer is for Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin to all return, and I'd like Lyn to be added to the roster. It's about time she was promoted, in recent years she's been proven to be immensely popular so I feel like the age of her game doesn't really matter. I think she has a real chance and I hope they put her in, finally.

If any characters are going to be cut, I honestly think it'd be Lucina and Corrin. Marth and Ike are basically guaranteed to stick around, Roy was added to Smash 4 due to popular demand and I doubt they'd remove him AGAIN, and Robin is a truly unique character. Lucina is the cloniest of clones and if they hadn't said "eh, we got time, let's just do it" then Robin would have been the only Awakening representative. Corrin, while unique like Robin, was DLC, and unlike Roy s/he did not have popular demand behind them. Corrin's position is not so secure.

Given how much the Smash developers seem to love Fire Emblem, I think we have around five character slots to fill. We had six slots last game, so I think this is reasonable.

Marth: Has been around since Melee, and is still going strong today! At this point, he's a Smash Staple. Lyn, Lucina and Roy could be alternate costumes.

Dragonstone users (Tiki, Adult!Tiki, Myrrh, Corrin(M), Corrin(F), Nowi, Nasir and a dragon from FE16): I think they would have some awesome moveset potential, as their breath attacks, claws, and biting will make for a lot of different moveset options. Also, they're f#?!ing DRAGONS! We need a rival for Bowser already!

Celica: I feel her moveset potential is very rich (so rich that I made a full moveset for her myself!) Also, I feel she would still have some of the Echoes hype behind her, even when the game releases. The Robins and Micaiah could be alternate costumes. BOTW Link would be able to replace Robin for the breakable weapons mechanic.

Ike: We have plenty of female fanservice characters in this series, so the burly men need to catch up! Also, he's been in two games in a row now.

The FE16 Lord/Lady: It's been tradition since Roy.

(I think it could be a funny joke if Anna were also on the roster, but as DLC)

Assist trophies:

Azura: Her "sing" ability would put your character in turbo mode (all startup and endlag on all moves removed) for ~5 seconds, like how she can give you extra turns in the original game.

The whitewing trio: They would fly around the screen, skewering anyone unlucky enough to be in front of them. however, they would be instantly defeated if they get hit by a projectile.

Anna: She would sell some stat booster items, which will increase your character's strength, defence, and speed slightly for the rest of that stock.

Items:

Mila's turnwheel: Resets your character to where they were 20 seconds ago. Damage and stocks would also be restored.

Dracoshield: Creates a small invincible hurtbox in front of your character, which can block attacks from the front.

Elfire: Allows the user to throw fireballs forward.

Elwind: Gives the user unlimited double-jumps.

Elthunder: Allows the user to throw a thin but far-reaching bolt of lightning forwards if used on the ground, or down if used in the air.

Edited by The_antithesis
item ideas added

8 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

What I'd prefer is for Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin to all return, and I'd like Lyn to be added to the roster. It's about time she was promoted, in recent years she's been proven to be immensely popular so I feel like the age of her game doesn't really matter. I think she has a real chance and I hope they put her in, finally.

If any characters are going to be cut, I honestly think it'd be Lucina and Corrin. Marth and Ike are basically guaranteed to stick around, Roy was added to Smash 4 due to popular demand and I doubt they'd remove him AGAIN, and Robin is a truly unique character. Lucina is the cloniest of clones and if they hadn't said "eh, we got time, let's just do it" then Robin would have been the only Awakening representative. Corrin, while unique like Robin, was DLC, and unlike Roy s/he did not have popular demand behind them. Corrin's position is not so secure.

Given this mindset, it makes me pretty doubtful that Lucina would get cut. She's easy to make after all. That's the point. It takes like a couple of hours tops to make Lucina (especially if they're using the same character models with only minor updates) in the game, unlike any other character that would take hundreds of man hours to implement. Even among clone characters, Lucina is particularly easy to make since it's essentially Marth in terms of start up lag/end lag/hitbox ranges. The only reason not to put Lucina in the game is "waa, waa, waa, Clones stealing roster spots," or "Sakurai loves Fire Emblem too much!" which aren't really legitimate complaints in my opinon (a slightly better complaint would be "dammnit, clearing All Star Mode is more time consuming than ever with this 70+ character roster!", but I don't see many people saying that).

Edited by Jotari

I'm of the opinion that FE is fine as is, when it comes to playable characters. All it really needs as a series is more widespread representation through other mediums, as while its roster is impressive in numbers, it's lacking nearly everywhere else.

3 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

Assist trophies:

Azura: Her "sing" ability would put your character in turbo mode (all startup and endlag on all moves removed) for ~5 seconds, like how she can give you extra turns in the original game.

The whitewing trio: They would fly around the screen, skewering anyone unlucky enough to be in front of them. however, they would be instantly defeated if they get hit by a projectile.

Anna: She would sell some stat booster items, which will increase your character's strength, defense, and speed slightly for the rest of that stock.

This guy's got the right idea. 

17 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

The FE16 Lord/Lady: It's been tradition since Roy.

If you meant as a flavor of the month character, then maybe. But... They'd most likely have to settle for being DLC, because I'm not banking on another Roy situation.

Marth and Ike have been mainstays for long enough that I think they've earned their slots.

I think Roy and Lucina could be lumped into Marth costumes(I know Roy was reworked for Sm4sh to not be a clone like he used to be, but still. It just goes to show that people just wanted Roy and didn't care what form he took). As for Robin and Corrin... I'd only want one to stay at most, and I'd want another gone or reworked. I suppose if given the choice, Robin should stay, since Awakening represents a "New era" of FE, and Corrin should probably get cut.

Then maybe add one legacy character(Lyn? She might be too much like Link, now that I think about it. Maybe Hector.) and add the lord of the new FE.

Regardless, I don't think, under any circumstance, that FE should ever have more Smash representation than Pokemon.

16 hours ago, Motendra said:

I'm of the opinion that FE is fine as is, when it comes to playable characters. All it really needs as a series is more widespread representation through other mediums, as while its roster is impressive in numbers, it's lacking nearly everywhere else.

This guy's got the right idea. 

I feel Fire Emblem needs more Assist Trophies too.

3 hours ago, Troykv said:

I feel Fire Emblem needs more Assist Trophies too.

Why doesn't anyone remember that the Breidablik exist? It's the perfect equivalent to a Pokeball.

We're at a unique point in time where I'm not convinced a character from a new game even makes sense in regards to the development timeline. Fates came out in Japan in June 2015 and North America in February 2016, with the latter of which being the same time Corrin released as DLC for Smash 4. Development for Echoes started shortly after Fates released and I'm sure Smash Switch's development began shortly after. The roster is always decided at the very beginning, so unless the FE Switch protagonist comes in as a clone, there's no way that we'll get a character from that game in the base roster as it very likely didn't exist yet. Echoes barely existed. I'd say that we could possibly get content from that except that Smash 4 already had a significant number of characters on the roster, matching Pokemon and almost Mario. Sakurai himself even said there were too many Fire Emblem characters. Also, thanks to Heroes and Warriors, we're in a position with the franchise where any character is relevant now. While Smash Bros. does often pick off the wall or unique characters, the roster is usually decided more based on popularity of characters at the time the roster is decided (which I expect to be around mid 2016). 

That said, I expect this to be the first Smash Bros game that does not include the token "new FE protagonist. I'd be surprised if we didn't get Marth, Ike and Lucina back in this roster. I have no clue what they'll do with the rest. 

Who I want that will never happen is Azura though. I do hope if Corrin comes back they default female Corrin.

5 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Why doesn't anyone remember that the Breidablik exist? It's the perfect equivalent to a Pokeball.

Probably because it didn't when Smash 4 was around, so it will be a new idea. That being said, Breidablik as a third type of assist item would be a great way of adding some of our favourite FE characters without using up extra slots.

2 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

Probably because it didn't when Smash 4 was around, so it will be a new idea. That being said, Breidablik as a third type of assist item would be a great way of adding some of our favourite FE characters without using up extra slots.

Yea, but this is a Fire Emblem website, so I find that odd that no one is bringing Breidablik as a means to expand the cast of Fire Emblem.

That being said no 1 should be ashamed of having their favorite character making their cut. No one takes up a slot, these determined by that time the game gets announce. Probably a different when it comes to dlc but not for the starting roster. So in other words, Ephraim didn't take Rundas' spot.

8 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Ahem.

On 3/9/2018 at 11:54 PM, Troykv said:

I only really really want Micaiah, specially if she is playable, but if she can appear at least a trophy would be nice to she be actually recognized.

I did this post for Source Gaming talking about Micaiah and a moveset I think alongside a friend.

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/12/22/ds-micaiah/

On 3/10/2018 at 10:08 AM, NSSKG151 said:

I'm in favor for this idea. I feel having Breidablik being an item similar to Pokeballs is the best way to add more Fire Emblem characters to Smash without them 'taking up too many slots' though I'm not sure how likely Nintendo will acknowledge or represent their phone games in Smash.

And also, as an alternative.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:56 AM, SilvertheShadow said:

Given how popular FE has become, I think it would be a good idea to add an item (probably an Einherjar card) which is pretty much a Pokeball for FE characters. Many lords and popular characters can be added, and it can allow for many favorites to appear without being part of the roster.

I think if they do decide to add a new FE character, Anna has a good chance. She can potentially have varied weaponry and she's an arguable mascot for the series.

3 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

I think if they do decide to add a new FE character, Anna has a good chance. She can potentially have varied weaponry and she's an arguable mascot for the series.

Not that I'm disagreeing (far from it) but would you really say the same thing about Nurse Joy & Officer Jenny for being re occurring characters?

Edited by Zangetsu

I think I'd rather Einherjar Cards over the Breidablik. Not only is the Breidablik from a mobile game, but it's kind of given the appearance to suggest it...sort of fires heroes. I'd expect multiple summons from something like that. As opposed to just picking up and throwing down a card. As far as Fire Emblem assist trophies range, characters I think that would really work under that system would be

*Tiki,  too much of a one trick pony to be a convential fighter, but would make for a cool assist trophy.

*The Black Knight. Wouldn't be impossible to make a character in the game, but he's a bit too heavy set, and keeping him as an assist trophy can help emphasize his raw power by just destroying any characters that get near.

*The Pegasus Sisters. Pegasi are a big part of Fire Emblem, but they're just not really suited to Smash.

*A stave user, maybe Lissa. Contiously healer the one who summoned them until a set amount of time has passed or the enemy knocks them out.

*Lyn, getting moved over from assist trophy (assuming she doesn't become playable in her own right).

*An archer of some sort. I'm going to say Jamka, even if that's unlikely because Smash hates Jugdral.

*Ephraim. Don't really see him ever  getting in as a playable, but he'd make a cool assist trophy.

*Lyon. One of the most popular villians in theh series, get some dark magic in there.

*Micaiah. She could both heal and attack.

*Kaze, for Shurkens.

*Merric, could use Excalibur to push enemies away similar to Isaac.

*An lastly an axe user. If I say Hector it would deman the presence of Eliwood (plus I think he has a rather good chance of being playable given he won the second choose your hero poll), so instead I'll say Heroes Anna.

Senpai noticed me? Am honored. ^w^

@Jotari Solid choices there. I actually thought of the Pegasus sisters being the Latias/Latios for the Einherjar in form of the triangle attack. I doubt any games that haven’t received any sort of localization will really be given much attention, so I predict Takumi, maybe Innes or Jeorge, will probably have priority over Jamke. 

This sounds fun. Think I’ll throw in some of my own ideas! 

Archanea: Linde, Navarre, Katarina, Hardin, Michalis

SoV: Celica, Tobin/Faye (I was thinking he could be a “joke” summon like Goldeen and Starfy), Berkut

Jugdral: Rip :(

Elibe: Zephiel, Ninian (Dancers could boost stats or something), Jaffar, Athos, Dorcas (lol) 

SS: Innes, L’Arachel

Tellius: Mia, Ranulf, Nephenee, Sothe, Ashnard

Ylisse: Frederick, Sumia, Nowi, Henry, Aversa

Fates: Hoshido brothers and Nohr sisters (I just picked who seemed more popular out of the eight to avoid having to add them all), Azura, Arthur/Felicia (potential joke character), Kaden, Keaton, Ophelia

Edited by SilvertheShadow

Ideally and somewhat realistically I would want Marth, Ike, Roy, and Robin to return, and I would want Celica (or Micaiah but let's face it she's not likely), Lyn, and someone new from FE16.

In reality, I feel Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina are safe. Roy may be requested by IS if they're planning to remake his game. Corrin is imo the least likely to return even with a unique moveset. I'd rate their chances at 50/50. As for newcomers, it'll be either Celica or FE16 protagonist, depending on whether the latter is another sword user or not.