[FE8] Self-Randomizing Rom v1.3

circleseverywhere

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, using old saves breaks a lot of stuff. Game seemed to work fine aside from a screwed up title screen, but it randomized my weapon stats into literal un-usability when I originally had weapons un-randomized. Literally all iron and steel weapons got randomized into 50% or less hit and 2-4 mt. I'll just finish this old save and start a new one with the new patch.

Edited by Curanthir

I've been playing with this for a week or so now and it's a great time, it's really useful to be able to randomise a ROM easily like this and not have to use an external program. Skill system also makes the experience a lot nicer. Did notice one potential issue with skills that I'll point out in a spoiler just in case.

Spoiler

The trainee classes learn Dazzle very early on, but they then learn Paragon when already fully promoted? I feel like these two should be swapped. Dazzle seems like a very useful ability that's fitting of a promoted class, whereas Paragon is only really useful on a unit which starts out low level. I'm not sure if this is on purpose but personally it doesn't make sense to learn Paragon for only 15 potential levels.

Suggestion for next release: no fucking enemies with Runeswords in the earlygame.

This is equal parts frustrating, ridiculous and hilarious.

Edited by Kysafen

I tried it and i can't seem to go in the menu when we can choose the seed? I don't have any generate class by option. Anyway it's funny but i've got too much monsters units so it's quite hard. :)

Okay i understood the seed thing, i thought there was the option as shown on the first post. Anyway i've found a strange thing, by putting the name Anthony, i had Eirika has an archer with Gleipnir, kinda strange? Maybe it was a gift from Lyon...FE Heroes curse is here! 

Bugs or weirdness I have encountered thus far in V 1.0 that weren't adressed in the recent Patch:

Despoil says it creates Red Gems on proc; Instead creates any given Item in the Game. Might be intended, so disregard if it is.

Revenants, Baels and Mauthedoogs, as well as their Promotions, can use the Divine Dragonstone, making them INCREDIBLY Powerful.

Aura Seems to have a ridiculous spawn Rate on any Light magic user, yet I have to see one enemy with Divine. I get the feeling that you use in your randomisation two Auras and not a single divine. 

Player units use wrong palettes; they seem to only use their base Class Palette instead of all that are applied to them. (Easily observable with unrandomized Colm, as his Rogue Promotion, at least, has a messy Palette) Might be Colm only Glitch with unrandomized thieves, by the way.

V 1.1: Press Start on the title screen is messed up for me.

Not sure if intended or not:

Neither Purge nor Eclipse appears on Enemy Units.

Bolting only appears on the Pupil Line. 

No Enemy uses any Status Staves.

Dancers that spawn with Shadowshot and drop an Item have two copies of that particular item.

Rightful God is a Personal Skill for Player units (Colm With it is amazing, though.)

For some Reason Pegasus Knights learn Rally Speed on LVL 20 instead of LVL 10 as all other classes do. 

Ephraim, upon spawning on Eirika CH 15, comes with an extra steel lance instead of a completely Random item. This happens in Vanilla FE 8 as well. I believe something similiar happens to Eirika on Ephraim CH 15.

A non Boss enemy on Valni 1 has Zero Movement.

Balancing 

All Monster Classes desperately need a second Skill in their Classes. They have all, besides Mauthedoogs, terrible stats to begin with, which need buffing, in my opinion, and some, especially Revenants, are borderline useless without a divine dragonstone. Soldiers need a serious buff as well.

Some possible ideas, on the usual levels (01/00, 10/00, 20/5, 20/15), Warning, uses Fan translation names for skills, might need some balancing as well: 

Revenant: Camaraderie, Renewal, Competetive, bane (Bane is still kinda useless because they have low skill anyway. The highest skill I have seen on enemy entombed is like 4 at level 13. Playing normal currently, but probably doesn't reach 15 on hard either way.) (Idea of the set is having constantly recovering units. 40% HP every turn is nothing to scoff at with their HP. Might need a slight def buff.)

Mogall: Focus, Celerity, Dunno the Promoted Skills so I lack knowledge here what your plan with them is. (My Idea would be units that fight most of the time alone, as flying units do anyway. Celerity for enemies to get more use out of focus)

Mauthe Doog: Flowing strike, Swallow strike, dunno the promoted Skill. (Quick and offensively geared set that has a strong player phase and a decent enemy phase)

Bael: Dunno the promoted Skill, otherwise I suggest a Seal set (SKL, STR, DEF, SPD, in that order) (Speed Seal last because Speed is the most important stat in GBA FEs.)

Direct Bonewalker: Patient Assurance, Pursuit, Vantage ,Lance Breaker (Defensive unit that hurts during enemy phase but has little presence on player Phase)

Archer Bonewalker: Prescient Victory, Savage Blow (the 20+ Crit on attack one), Bowfaire, Acrobat (Dunno with the promoted Skills. Buffing GBA FE Archers with skills is kinda difficult since they suck. The Idea here is giving the Bonewalker archers some bonus during attack. Giving Snipers galeforce, BTW, is a decision I approve of.)

Gargoyle: No Idea for a good set, gotta admit. Tantivity, Focus, Relief, Lancefaire, perhaps?

Tarvos: Again, I haven't seen the promoted Skill. Intimidate is supportive, so maybe more Skills like that? Dunno where you are going with them.

Cyclops: Dark breath, Pavise (If you give them only two skills. Otherwise I would add Open Fighter and Sword Breaker as the first and final skill respectively.)

Gorgon: I have yet to see the Skill, so I have no Idea what you planned for them. Would go for Raven Strike as a good synergy with stone (LVL 15, though. 60+% hit with stone is pretty freaking good, imo) 

I second the notion to switch Paragon and Dazzle for all the recruit classes.

I would remove Speedseal from Mercenaries which make them, imo, op. Being able to reduce enemy speed that early in the game is extremely good and befitting of a promoted Skill. I'd replace it with defense seal, personally, which is a slight nerf but still very strong. (+ 6 Damage vs almost guaranteed *2 Damage)

Enemies in Skirmishes are weirdly leveled due to the Class they are assigned in the battles by default (If you fixed this already, don't bother reading further). Which makes Hamill Canyon and the equivalent Map on Ephraims site the best Grinding maps in the game, as it is guaranteed to Spawn like 10 LVL 8-15 Promoted Enemies as well as the 3 intended LVL ca. 4 promoted Enemies. For Reference: The Vanilla Game intends to have the first three maps on every Route to only have unpromoted Enemies (Except for the odd Entombed boss), the next two three promoted enemies, the boss and two other enemies near the boss, Gorgon Map is fine, and Melkaen Coast and Ruins all promoted. Tower of Valni has only promoted Enemies as bosses for the first 5 Floors, Floor five with two bosses, Floor 6 Has a bunch of promoted, non Random enemies that don't have the random bit set. (I want to say they are the first Enemies of the map, scrolling through the enemies starting with the boss.) Floor 7 has on every plattform one promoted enemy. Floor 8 is all promoted.

Canto+ is, imo, useless for most intents and purposes. I understand the Idea of having them on Rangers as a kiting unit, but since you are most likely approaching anyway, You get barely anything out of it and Enemies can't make use of it.

Some Feature Requests/ Suggestions:

An Option to increase enemy growths would be nice.

An Option to reduce Demon kings Caps to the old USA (?) caps. (A Demon King with 40+10 Defense, 32 Speed and 40 Strength as well as full 120 HP is... not realistic to kill. Any unit that can use Luna, usually, is too slow to not get doubled, and can, I am pretty sure, never double that Demon King ordinarily unless massive Personal Skill shenanigans. And Will likely not have the stats to Live a single attack since squishy Mages. Perhaps only a team of Pupil 3 with Dazzle? ) Would be 30 for all stat caps. Which is still strong. 

Having Mummy Bosses (Skirmish, Ruins and Tower Bosses) Having for each appearance a different personal skill.

An Option for Completely random Skill Handout during Levelup.

So, and after everything I wrote, Thank you for creating this. It has been really fun to replay FE8 in an interesting way. I have had a blast the last couple days with it and will be checking out your new version ^^ Finally being able to use Adlas plains for grinding purposes is really nice and finishing Valni for once will be fun as well. (As the Manaketes there were really difficult to deal with.) 

And I hope I didn't sound rude at any point through this. 

@Metakirby: Are you sure you didn't get it during the last prologue cutscene where Seth gives you a random item?

Edited by Auroros
Forgot Tarvos, corrected some chapter numbers, some more things I forgot.

Finished my first playthrough just recently. Was using version v1.0 I believe, so some things might already be changed slightly.

Overall, I'm super impressed with the randomiser. There's loads of cool things added in to it, loads of things as contingencies in case you get screwed over etc. It was a lot of fun. Things I particularly liked:

The entire skill system is really cool. Giving everyone one random personal skill was a great idea, and in general the skills added a lot of fun to the game, both increasing player options but also adding extra threat to some enemies. And some of the skills added are a ton of fun. It's great to see skills that have become staples from Heroes, like Reposition, appear here.

Being able to see growths in game is super convenient.

Enemies being randomised as well makes every chapter feel a little new. Chapter 10 (Eirika) was particularly interesting for me. I had to rush through to reach Cleric Gerik and Hero Innes ASAP before Gerik died on turn 2 to a Bolting Mage + Killer Lance Pegasus Knight combo, then survive the onslaught of Marisa's group (with Marisa herself hanging back and spamming Shadowshot, while an Archer tried to approach the ballista). All the while Pegasii and Dazzle Pupils + Journeymen harrassed my group in the north. It was chaotic, but a lot of fun.

All the options! So nice to have a lot of choice over what randomisation I want.

Adding Master Seals to the pre-battle shop, so it's actually possible to promote everyone. I didn't realise this for a rather long time (like chapter 15...).

Myrrh. Gal is a bloody BEAST. Took one chapter of light babying for her to be usable. One more chapter of light babying to become good. One more chapter of... not even babying at that point, just killing stuff, to become one of my best units. By the end of chapter 20 she was easily my best, and ended up pretty much soloing Fomortiis with her capped Berserker HP, Str, Skl, Spd and Def. Best Est of the series.

Things I wasn't so keen on:

The distribution of some class skills feels a little... off. Enemy trainee classes in particular are awful, due to a combination of high stats plus Dazzle plus Patience from early in the game. I feel like Dazzle and Paragon should probably switch places - Dazzle enemies early on are just really annoying to deal with, far worse than anything else pretty much. Especially the Pupils. Or perhaps, change Dazzle into Cancel a la FE10, which a (stat)% chance to prevent enemy counterattacks.

The base stats of some classes makes sense in vanilla, since they're never meant to be used as playable characters (some never even appearing in game), but when randomising it can lead to dull, easy or frustratingly hard scenarios. Soldiers in particular - they have super low stats since they're meant to be a very weak earlygame only enemy. But if someone gets rolled into a Soldier, or worse a Revenant,  lol just don't bother. I trained up Forde as a Soldier, and it was painful, but I figured he might get something worthwhile in the end (as well as Reposition being really useful). At least they promoted to super Recruit I guess. It'd be nice if some tweaks were made so that, sure, some classes may be better or worse, but at least characters don't become completely broken or borderline unusual just because of a class roll.

With all the random killer weapons, Aura Monks/Bishops you can easily roll and so on, it feels like enemy crit rates were a constant issue. I was lucky enough to get a Hoplon Guard early on, dunno if that's like guaranteed or something, but if it isn't... might actually be worth forcing one to drop early in the game. It seems like a very valuable tool if you don't want to have chapter attempts just die to random crits that you can't do much about.

Edit: One more. I'd suggest changing the levels promoted characters learn their skills from 5 and 15 to 1 and 10. Maybe even lower than that, like 1 and 7. FE8 is known for being relatively short, and even with early promoting one or two units, you typically end up around the level 8-12 range with only like Seth and heavily used units getting much higher. On my playthrough, only four characters exceeded level 10 promoted, and of them one was Seth (level 17) and the other two (L'Arachel and Myrrh) didn't reach 15. So having a skill learned at level 15 promoted will barely get seen outside of Creature Campaign.

Overall though, really fun and will probably play again later with the newest version.

Edited by Tables

18 hours ago, Ninian da best said:

Just noticed Wyvern Lords' map sprite looks kinda messy. Is that supposed to happen?

If I'm not mistaken, that's just what the female Wyvern Lord looks like. You're referring to the one that kinda lurches forward when you scroll over it, right? I think it's a leftover from FE6. For whatever reason FE7 doesn't use it, but it managed to work it's way back into FE8.

Okay, started Another Run today... And Skirmishes don't work at all in V 1.1

They instead replay the original chapter. I assume this is a debug feature you forgot to take out?

Also, you cannot run from Valni Tower Battles, but I assume this is tied to the bug mentioned above.

And on another note, it maybe the seed (Celica), but my Valni 1 battle looked, besides the swordmaster replacing the Entombed, eerily similar to the standard Valni 1. Though, due to the lack of further Data, I don't know if it is thanks to the seed or another bug.  

I'm not really sure why, but a Great Knight attacking my Hero Moulder (Steel Axe equipped) freezes the game. What happens is that he attacks me and then it freezes. And since it is on enemy phase, there's no way I can stop this. Moulder's skills are Canto+, Shove, Rally Strength, Seal Speed and Sol (if that is relevant at all) .I'm thinking it may have to do with the Luna skill GKs have, but it didn't proc that either.

Otherwise it's a great mod and adds even more replayability to one of my favorite FE games.

Lots of great feedback here btw that will make it into v1.2

8 hours ago, Fish Birdz said:

Once I get past the little intro sequence (the world map part), the game just blacks out and freezes up. I'm on v1.1 and I haven't been able to get past that point to actually play the game.

Which emulator are you using? And what name did you put?

2 hours ago, Sydorr said:

Trying the ROM and it's great. I do have a question, are the Metis' Tomes broken? They don't seem to be adding the +5% to the growths. 

They are, but you're not supposed to be able to get any so I think I did something wrong..

9 hours ago, circleseverywhere said:

[Metis Tome's] are, but you're not supposed to be able to get any so I think I did something wrong..

What if you turned off event/all item randomisation? Wouldn't you still get it in chapter 15 like normal?

On 3/28/2018 at 5:58 PM, circleseverywhere said:

They are, but you're not supposed to be able to get any so I think I did something wrong..

Oh, I added them in to test. I tried it too on Blitzarre, I think, or some other hack which shows growths, and the growths have the green +5 on them. I really was just confused because the effects don't seem to show up.

Just now, circleseverywhere said:

Yeah the growth randomization probably would have broken the metis tome - and it definitely would break the green +5.

Oh, so they don't function right now? On a side note, will you be adding a threshold for how low the hit stat on weapons go on randomisation? Sometimes weapons can become real missy. If not, it's still going to be part of the fun.