Sentimental Weapons

So an idea crossed my mind the other day about how to have personal weapons that anyone can use, however get a benefit if the right unit uses it.

My idea was that a mercenary has a slightly weaker steel sword that any character could use, however if the mercenary uses it it has buffed stats that would make it better, by giving the mercenary extra Spd Str Crit Avoid. Or maybe even a weapon that just keeping in their invintory could give them a boost to their avoid. I think it could add a lot of flavor to the characters, as they could be a family heirloom passed on for generations or a blade they've used since they were young.

So what do you all think?

I actually had a weapon like this in an old project. A Crystal Bow, think Glass Weapons. Silver weapon stats but like 5 dura. But if its original owner used it, she knows the technique to use it properly and it doesn't lose durability.

I think I prefer the idea of "This weapon doesn't lose durability in the hands of its original wielder" over "the original wielder gets stat buffs when using it" just because then there's more potential wiggle room to shuffle it around.

8 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Shadow Dragon did something similar to this, in that Merric and Linde have tomes that they can use at base that other mages could only use at B rank.

And in the original games, they were exclusive to those characters.

Would that work with weapons that are named after they're acquired?  You know, like the dozens of swords Owain names or the sword Hinata called "Hisame"?  Or maybe Missiletainn (the sword version, not Ophelia's tome by the same name) could give Owain special stat boosts.

I, for one, am an advocate for this.

I've had the idea of adding more personal weapons before, with said weapons sacrificing one thing for another (such as a javelin/hand axe having 1 to no might, but unlimited durability, or a weapon having a high crit rate put a pitiful hit rate) that would be unique and fitting to certain characters, but this the first time I've heard of personal weapons being shared between units but only providing bonuses to certain ones, and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I just think that the weapons bonuses should make sense both gameplay and story wise, and should overall be useful but not gamebreakinig.

I also accidentally misread the title as sentient weapons, and was about to list examples I had though of of that idea before rereading the title.

I think it would be really cool to do. I personally would like to apply this to Sacred Stone's Sacred Weapons, such as Audhulma, which anyone can wield with a high enough Sword Rank, but  (in my opinion) it only feels right to let Joshua use it, same with Vidofnir and Nidhogg, who I always give to the Frelia royals. It would be cool to see them get a bonus using those that nobody else does, such as unlimited durability or something like that.