Most annoying boss or unique enemy?

Reynard, the Chapter 3 boss in Shadow Dragon. Not only does he have 14 speed (which is enough to double most units, given how garbage the growths are in this game),  he has a Hand Axe, meaning that you can't just chuck javelins at him.

I remember that the first sidequest boss in fe6 was an absurdly strong monster on a throne. So him probably. Promoted, high stats, sitting on a throne and I believe he had a ranged weapon as well.

Dodge tank Kshuna from Blazing Blade. Who you're on a time limit to kill, basically need to kill in one turn or he runs away and, worst of all, they don't even give you the satisfaction of a combat animation of cleaving his face in two! It's essentially, how can we make this character any more of a troll? It comes down to retrying the first six turns of a map on repeat until eventually you get lucky enough to hit him three times.

Ones that come to mind:

• Endgame Takumi.  Man, that map was tough as hell.
  • Another Conquest Endgame mention: The guy with the Hexing Rod.  
  • Ashnard took me foreeeeeever to beat.  The game itself was pretty easy, but the final boss was tough since only Ike could damage him.  
  • The dude with a Halberd who comes out of the fog and ruins Seth's day in the spider chapter of SS.
  • Everything in the first few chapters of Awakening Lunatic.  Especially Chapter 2.  That map still gives me nightmares.
  • I agree with the above poster who mentioned that Shadow Dragon boss.  I just recently beat this game, but I'm terrible at remembering names.  I found that a few of the early game bosses were a pain in the butt, but one stood out because I couldn't beat him deathless without landing a crit.  He was speedy and had a ranged weapon.  That must be him. 

I can't think of any bosses or enemies in FE7, FE10, and FE15 that gave me a lot of trouble.  I'm sure there were some, just not at the top of my head.

I think Hyman is considered one of the most unfairly difficult bosses in the series on higher difficulties of Shadow Dragon. Which I love because it reminds me of this (can't believe I never realised how funny is name was until reading it),

http://shaym.in/fe1/chapter3.html

Edited by Jotari

19 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Reynard, the Chapter 3 boss in Shadow Dragon. Not only does he have 14 speed (which is enough to double most units, given how garbage the growths are in this game),  he has a Hand Axe, meaning that you can't just chuck javelins at him.

This was the first thing that came to mind once I saw the thread title. It's saying something that he's a huge pain in the arse even on Normal mode... On higher difficulties, he goes from "huge pain in the arse" to "outright unfair". I mean, it's obvious something ain't right when I have to go so far as to break his weapon before I can kill him.

Other than that, there's Henning in Sword of Seals. Only slightly less tanky than the boss before, except there's no easy way to win this time. 

• Arvis in FE4 because Great Shield activated like 95% of the time.
  • Takumi in Conquest's endgame
  • Kotaru in Conquest Ch.17. Mainly because after an agonizing hour of getting to him, he kills Xander and i muscle reflex made me reset the map.
  • Murdock in FE6 mainly because of how strong he is+the time limit.

I've seen Hyman/Reynard named a few times here but I think Gomer is worse. Consider:

• He may double less of the cast but he still 2HKOs everyone and at 11-12 Speed he sometimes hit the benchmark to double Jagen.
  • Hyman/Reynard's map has two save points while Gomer's has one, and it is very tempting to pop it before the boss kill with how unreliable the rest of the map can be.
  • Save point or no save point, with neither the Killing Edge nor the Devil Axe a quick kill is far less reliable.
  • If you don't kill him in one turn gate healing matches Ogma's Steel Sword damage. This is your best high-accuracy attack at base stats.

i hate Kotaro, i never go out of my way to keep Saizo alive and he's such a pain in the ass to kill, at that point in the game he's always able to one round anyone on my team since he has a flame shuriken and i never really have reliable hit rates against him. the only unit for me that consistently works against kotaro is shura and even that can be risky. i also turtle that chapter pretty hard so it's a total pain in the ass if i have to reset

Haitaka in chapter 9. Dragon Corrin and Effie are about the only units you can trust to do more than a mere paper cut to him... But they aren't going to be doing so at reliable hit rates. If you want to have Niles capture him... Say your prayers. You're gonna need the luck.

Kotaro in chapter 17. 80 avoid. Need I say more? Oh, and he uses a speed dropping Silver Shuriken.

On 11.3.2018 at 4:41 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

I'll second this.

Also the Black Knight fight in Path of Radiance. Whether or not you beat him within the time limit is a crapshoot and you have to pray to all the gods simultaneously that you proc Aether on each hit and he doesn't Luna your ass to next Sunday.

On 20/03/2018 at 9:51 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Haitaka in chapter 9. Dragon Corrin and Effie are about the only units you can trust to do more than a mere paper cut to him... But they aren't going to be doing so at reliable hit rates. If you want to have Niles capture him... Say your prayers. You're gonna need the luck.

Kotaro in chapter 17. 80 avoid. Need I say more? Oh, and he uses a speed dropping Silver Shuriken.

he's not that bad, use jakob to reduce his def, then put odin or nyx close to him to reduce avoid. but I'm gonna agree he is "on" a "throne" and he is annoying

ninjas in ryoma chapter with inevitable end...those are the most bullshiest thing ever done. (along with 40-60% hp reduction)

1 hour ago, link16hit said:

he's not that bad, use jakob to reduce his def, then put odin or nyx close to him to reduce avoid. but I'm gonna agree he is "on" a "throne" and he is annoying

ninjas in ryoma chapter with inevitable end...those are the most bullshiest thing ever done. (along with 40-60% hp reduction)

The Jakob mention is assuming that I selected to have a female Corrin. Also, aside from the two I mentioned, most units can only afford to get hit ONCE. Heartseeker might help, but Nyx just straight up dies, and Odin can only take one hit. It's even worse in Lunatic since he has Seal Defence.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

The Jakob mention is assuming that I selected to have a female Corrin. Also, aside from the two I mentioned, most units can only afford to get hit ONCE. Heartseeker might help, but Nyx just straight up dies, and Odin can only take one hit. It's even worse in Lunatic since he has Seal Defence.

Enfeeble Staff. It's basically the only reliable way. Everyone else will die as he can attack either defense or resistance.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Enfeeble Staff. It's basically the only reliable way. Everyone else will die as he can attack either defense or resistance.

Um, who are you talking about? Because I don't think Haitaka, who was referred to in that comment you quoted, is it.

2 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Um, who are you talking about? Because I don't think Haitaka, who was referred to in that comment you quoted, is it.

I assumed we were still talking about Kotaro.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I assumed we were still talking about Kotaro.

Well, you could've quoted the comment where I actually mentioned him instead... Anyway, between high resistance and being on a throne,  there's a very good chance that any attempt to use Enfeeble on Kotaro would be met with a "MISS!!" instead.

4 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, you could've quoted the comment where I actually mentioned him instead... Anyway, between high resistance and being on a throne,  there's a very good chance that any attempt to use Enfeeble on Kotaro would be met with a "MISS!!" instead.

You g et four uses per staff. It's not perfect, but it is the more reliable thing that doesn't have a rather high death chance. Unless you've been particularly rng blessed. Even if you have someone that can survive a few hits, he'll probably dodge enough attacks that the throne will recover all the damage dealt to him.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

You g et four uses per staff. It's not perfect, but it is the more reliable thing that doesn't have a rather high death chance. Unless you've been particularly rng blessed. Even if you have someone that can survive a few hits, he'll probably dodge enough attacks that the throne will recover all the damage dealt to him.

I wouldn't exactly call it "reliable" when your hit rates most likely dip into "questionable" territory... but I do think Draconic Hex can help. Also, forcing him to equip the Flame Shuriken, which has -20 avoid, can make him easier to hit.

6 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

mmm yeah forgot about Jakob and female Corrin. Sadly Harold/Arthur is worse than Elfie.

Silas can do well too...If Corrin have low hp.

Mozu can be powerful if you train her and change her class to archer. get raider bow, pair-up with elfie, put her near elise (-3 dmg reduction) and jakob (-2 dmg reduction) and she will "have +9 def" (+7 if you don't have Jakob)...I forgot with Niles it can works too, (or any distant weapon user). And Elise can heal your character per turn.

Azura can give a character skl, spd and luck...If you have train her up to lvl 15? in chp.5.

A lot of IF...even the game in japan is called IF! XD

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I wouldn't exactly call it "reliable" when your hit rates most likely dip into "questionable" territory... but I do think Draconic Hex can help. Also, forcing him to equip the Flame Shuriken, which has -20 avoid, can make him easier to hit.

Draconic Hex, 1 of the best skills!

16 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Yeah, Draconic Hex would certainly help, if you have it, but I find I'm not hitting level 5 in promoted classes until just after that point.

On 3/26/2018 at 4:44 PM, link16hit said:

mmm yeah forgot about Jakob and female Corrin. Sadly Harold/Arthur is worse than Elfie.

Silas can do well too...If Corrin have low hp.

Mozu can be powerful if you train her and change her class to archer. get raider bow, pair-up with elfie, put her near elise (-3 dmg reduction) and jakob (-2 dmg reduction) and she will "have +9 def" (+7 if you don't have Jakob)...I forgot with Niles it can works too, (or any distant weapon user). And Elise can heal your character per turn.

Azura can give a character skl, spd and luck...If you have train her up to lvl 15? in chp.5.

A lot of IF...even the game in japan is called IF! XD

"Worse than Effie" undersells how bad the guy is, if I might be frank.

Which isn't exactly desirable when Corrin is like one of the few units that can actually hurt him.

That's a lot of stuff to assume - (1) that I'm training Mozu, (2) that I'm giving her the one Heart Seal you have at that point in the game, and (3) that I have the Raider Yumi (admittedly, the VP required for that one is rather low, so that might not be unreasonable). Also, the Raider Yumi is pretty inaccurate.

That'd be level 10. Anyway, not everyone has that kind of patience.

On 3/26/2018 at 4:48 PM, Jotari said:

Yeah, Draconic Hex would certainly help, if you have it, but I find I'm not hitting level 5 in promoted classes until just after that point.

A good point. But it beats relying on a status staff, which tends to have one constant going against it - if it's worth trying to hit with a status staff, chances are it's also not very likely you'll hit home.

Anyway, another one that came to mind - chapter 23 Takumi. Even more evasive than Kotaro, and two proc skills that go off often, AND high crit chance to top it off.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia