Hyrule Wars: A Zelda/Fire Emblem mashup

Lord_Brand

NOTE: This post is prone to edit over time as additional content is considered.

Over at Zelda Universe I've posted this idea for a Zelda/Fire Emblem mashup. Basically you take Fire Emblem's core gameplay and classes and mix them with Zelda's world and races. The game has three major modes:

Campaign

Battle invading armies to protect Hyrule in story-based campaigns!

The core war strategy game and story.

Adventure

Explore Hyrule's landscape looking for materials and treasure!

This is roughly analogous to Hyrule Warriors' Adventure Maps. Basically, this is where the Zelda series' signature exploration and puzzle-solving gameplay comes in. There are still enemy units to battle, but it's less of two armies fighting and more of a party of scouts skirmishing with enemy camps. Your party consists of 1-6 units, which can come from either your army or generic units.

My Village

Build and customize your own village to gain food, weapons, and other useful items!

Materials found in Adventure Mode are used here to construct buildings which provide you with a variety of useful items and services. A Smithy for example produces weapons while a Farm produces Wheat or Rice. This would serve a similar role to My Castle from Fates.

Tribes

Hyrule Wars has three major races (Hylians, Sheikah, Gerudo), three secondary races (Gorons, Zora, and Rito), and monster units (like Moblins and Stalfos). The major three races are called so because the majority of the playable units belong to one of them, while the secondary races have fewer but more specialized units. Monster Units are the primary enemies in the game, and function similar to playable units (many of them use the same kinds of weapons) but with some nuances.

Each of the six playable tribes feature a host of classes from which their units draw by default; through the Spouse/Friendship system, they can gain access to classes belonging to other tribes.

Hylian

• Fighter
  • Mercenary
  • Archer
  • Knight
  • Cavalier
  • Sky Knight
  • Druid
  • Cleric
  • Troubadour
  • Wolfkin

Sheikah

• Samurai
  • Shrine Guard
  • Scout
  • Ninja
  • Diviner
  • Monk
  • Keaton

Gerudo

• Thief
  • Desert Fighter
  • Desert Guard
  • Bow Rider
  • Desert Mage
  • Wyvern Rider
  • Dragonkin
  • Dancer

Zora

• River Guard
  • Medic
  • Water Mage

Goron

• Bladesmith
  • Mountaineer
  • Geomancer

Rito

• Hawkeye
  • Aerie Guard
  • Shaman

Link himself starts as a Champion, which of course uses Swords, and promotes into a Legend, which adds Bows. His secondary class is determined by the player upon starting the game. Zelda starts as a Princess, which uses Bows, and promotes into a Queen which adds Staves. Her secondary class would likely be Sky Knight or Cleric. Incidentally, Champion and Prince/Princess as classes both have gender differences: female Champions start with Bows rather than Swords and gain Swords upon promotion, while a male Prince wields Swords in place of Bows and promotes into King which, like Queen, adds Staves.

Weapons

The game makes use of a modified weapon triangle, where each color now has melee, missile, and magic weapons. Swords, Axes, and Lances correspond to red, green, and blue as before, but now Tomes are split into Earth/Fire, Wind/Lightning, and Water/Ice magic, while Bombs join Bows and Daggers as the ranged equivalents. Staves and Stones return as colorless, though I'm looking at the possibility of Stones becoming a singular category.

As a sidenote about Magic, I understand that for a long time the FE series has featured Fire, Wind, and Lightning as a trio when it isn't Light, Dark, and Anima, and that ice and water magic is usually grouped with wind. I don't know if they were making a conscious effort to avoid the classic Fire Ice Lightning trio, but I find that for Hyrule Wars breaking tradition here works fine as it fits the tribe-class-weapon algorithm.

Light and Dark weapons exist as subcategories; Light Weapons tend to be a little weaker on average but offer positive bonuses like boosted damage against certain monster types or passive HP recovery. Light weapon icons feature an aura or glow. Dark weapons tend to be stronger or nastier than normal but have negative side effects such as stat reduction or gradual HP loss. Dark weapon icons have a shadowy aura.

Each tribe leans towards certain colors of weapon, though all three colors are available to each tribe.

• Red - Gerudo and Gorons
  • Green - Hylians and Rito
  • Blue - Sheikah and Zora

There exist certain patterns within the various tribes and their class equivalents. For example, each tribe gets one distinct mage class that uses the Tome of their main color (Hylian Druids with Green, Sheikah Diviners with Blue, Gerudo Desert Mages with Red, Goron Geomancers with Red, Zora Water Mages with Blue, and Rito Shamans with Green) and can promote into a Sage class that adds Staves (Hylian Sacred Sages, Sheikah Shrine Sages, Gerudo Desert Sages, Goron Fire Sages, Zora Water Sages, and Rito Forest Sages). The human Mages each can also promote into a class that uses two or more colors of Tome (Hylian Wizards use green and blue, Sheikah Oracles use blue and red, and Gerudo Sorcerers use all three). The nonhuman Mages meanwhile get secondary options that add a type of melee weapon of a complimentary color (Goron Mountain Lords add Axes, Zora River Lords add Swords, and Rito Sky Lords add Lances).

The human tribes each get a class that uses weapons of all three colors. Hylians get Great Knight which of course uses Swords, Axes, and Lances, Sheikah get Engineer which uses Bombs, Bows, and Daggers, and Gerudo get the aforementioned Sorcerer which uses red, green, and blue Tomes.

Weapon uses return with tweaks. Melee weapons have durability, and no longer vanish when they break; they simply become broken weapons with minimal stats (1 might and no bonus effects). They can be repaired at an Armory. Missile weapons - Bombs, Bows, Daggers - now have ammunition. When the weapon runs out of ammo, you can't use it, but you can reload it. Magical weapons likewise have charges which work very similar to ammunition. Melee weapon uses are only spent if the unit connects, while missile and magical weapons always spend a shot when attacking.

Additionally, I would consider introducing Bare Hands as a new special weapon type that can be used by any combat-capable unit with no useable weapon on hand. Bare Hands are colorless, have no statistic benefits whatsoever, and can't critical or trigger special skills.

Relationships

Like Awakening and Fates, there is a relationship system, though it too receives a few tweaks to accomodate the Gorons. See, Gorons don't reproduce the same way the other five tribes do (as far as we know), so they don't really have a use for marriage. They do however accept outsiders as honorary brothers (and potentially sisters), so that takes the place of marriage for Gorons. They do still have kids and those kids do inherit classes.

I'm not sure whether fathers or mothers should be the determinate parents this time; Gerudo kinda require determinate mothers, while Gorons are all male and thus their parents by definition are fathers. Link and Zelda each get a special child in the fashion of Lucina or Morgan in FEA. Link has Linkle as a daughter, while Zelda has a son named Xeldon.

What's the context? The one that makes the most sense to me would be the chaotic period that takes place before the timeline split. This period also ended with the establishment of the Hyrule Kingdom, so there could have been a war between tribes and monsters for disputes about land and influence.

Possible alliances could be the Hylians and Gerudo, since the Gerudos need the Hylians to reproduce. I can also see the Rito x Zora have an alliance due to similar ancestry.

As for the marriage/kids aspect- does this game need it? Granted, the LoZ series does use time travel a lot and if it does take place in the Chaotic period, it may take a couple generations to finally stabilize. But if it there is marriage- the kids should be tied to the MOTHER. This is because of the Gerudo- they can only have female gerudo offspring (with that one exception of course. I think it would be interesting to have a Gerudo Male that's not evil.)

I would plan for Ganondorf to appear as the ultimate villain, complete with his own Demon King class, so it could fit onto the timeline generally anytime after OoT, though Child seems like the safest bet. It would have to be before BotW though, unless a new incarnation of Ganondorf steps up, much like in FSA. The Yiga could appear as evil counterparts to the Sheikah.

If they ever made a Zelda/Emblem hybrid, you know fans would be eager to see Link and Zelda finally get married, and have kids no less.

I was originally planning for the Gerudo leader to be a man, but my brother suggested making him the son of the current Gerudo leader, who of course would be a woman, to make his appearance more of a surprise. As for how the second-gen characters work: I like the idea of the Temple of Time being involved, but I'm not sure whether it would be Awakening-style from the future or Fates-style outrealm time dilation.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Hell yeah Zelink babies! I ship those two hard as diamond in Skyward Sword. 

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

As for how the second-gen characters work: I like the idea of the Temple of Time being involved, but I'm not sure whether it would be Awakening-style from the future or Fates-style outrealm time dilation.

Awakening style. Please. The Deeprealms are ridiculous. "Oh, it's too dangerous here, let's throw our newborn kid down a hole to another dimension! He/she will age much quicker. If we're not careful, next time we see him/her he/she will be 80 years old. What could possibly go wrong?"

Gorons: How are you sure there's no females? It's probably like in LotR, where the dwarves are seemingly all male but females do exist. Plus I feel sorry for the hylian/humanoid woman who has sex with a goron and bears his child...they're big rock people. Ouch!

On that note, anything but hylians, sheikah, and gerudos probably shouldn't crossbreed with each other.

This whole concept is great. Somebody needs to actually fangame it.

Edited by Dragoncat

5 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Hell yeah Zelink babies! I ship those two hard as diamond in Skyward Sword. 

Awakening style. Please. The Deeprealms are ridiculous. "Oh, it's too dangerous here, let's throw our newborn kid down a hole to another dimension! He/she will age much quicker. If we're not careful, next time we see him/her he/she will be 80 years old. What could possibly go wrong?"

Gorons: How are you sure there's no females? It's probably like in LotR, where the dwarves are seemingly all male but females do exist. Plus I feel sorry for the hylian/humanoid woman who has sex with a goron and bears his child...they're big rock people. Ouch!

On that note, anything but hylians, sheikah, and gerudos probably shouldn't crossbreed with each other.

This whole concept is great. Somebody needs to actually fangame it.

In that case, it implies something happens in Hyrule's future that makes Linkle and her fellow 2nd gens travel back in time. It's workable, but it feels a lot like retreading Awakening's story. Gotta come up with a reason other than "Hyrule is overrun by zombies".

They haven't gone into the specifics of Goron reproduction, but as far as is known no female Gorons have ever been seen or mentioned in canon material. Thus, it is assumed at this point that they somehow reproduce asexually, much like Nameks in Dragon Ball. My personal headcanon is that a sort of rock egg pops off their back and becomes a new Goron.

Zora are shown to have relations with Hylians and presumably can also do so with Sheikah and Gerudo, thus mixing between them should be allowed. The result can be basically humans with fishy bits. Pureblood Rito can resemble the BotW versions while mixes can look more like TWW's humans with beak noses. So, if Link married a Rito woman, Linkle might come out with a bird beak on her nose.

2 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

This sounds pretty cool. Would there be certain doors and chests that only Link could open? 

I don't see why Link would be the only one able to open them. But if he gets a class with Locktouch, he certainly can open chests and doors.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 minute ago, Lord_Brand said:

Zora are shown to have relations with Hylians and presumably can also do so with Sheikah and Gerudo, thus mixing between them should be allowed. The result can be basically humans with fishy bits. Pureblood Rito can resemble the BotW versions while mixes can look more like TWW's humans with beak noses. So, if Link married a Rito woman, Linkle might come out with a bird beak on her nose.

Zoras also lay eggs and hatch as tadpoles though...and hylians are mammals...honestly I don't think Ruto was in the right frame of mind when she was convinced Link was going to marry her.

That rito idea sounds cute though. I guess mixing can be possible between any of the races, I just don't want to think about how the process actually works/how things fit into other things. Or a hylian woman laying an egg if her husband is a zora or rito.

I like the concept of a Zelda strategy RPG. It would be interesting if they took a split route approach with Link commanding one army and Zelda another. A political/cultural story about Hyrule and the different races could be really cool. I don't like the idea of kids being involved, nor marriage (especially not Link and Zelda... It would feel odd after so many years. I prefer to think of their relationship as strong mutual respect/friendship and that's it).

I remember a similar proposal, though in that hammers replaced the axe category as the former is more common in the Zelda series.

I'd give some of the Zelda classes different names then their FE counterparts as well as other distinctions.

Having a few individual monster units as recruitable units wouldn't be out of the question for Zelda, I mean characters like the Secret Moblin and Demitri tthe Dodongo exist. I imagine monster recruitable would be rare, similar to how you usually don't recruit a lot of pirates in Fire Emblem.

As for the marriage system, I think a strategy Zelda could do without it.

2 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I like the concept of a Zelda strategy RPG. It would be interesting if they took a split route approach with Link commanding one army and Zelda another. A political/cultural story about Hyrule and the different races could be really cool. I don't like the idea of kids being involved, nor marriage (especially not Link and Zelda... It would feel odd after so many years. I prefer to think of their relationship as strong mutual respect/friendship and that's it).

As I often say around the Zelda Universe forum, just because you don't want to do something doesn't mean other players shouldn't have the option. If you want Link and Zelda to stay platonic, you can do that in your playthrough, but other players, like myself, would enjoy the chance to see them actually get married. The relationship system is a big part of Fire Emblem's depth, not to mention a major source of character development; without it, there just isn't as much investment in the characters.

18 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I remember a similar proposal, though in that hammers replaced the axe category as the former is more common in the Zelda series.

I'd give some of the Zelda classes different names then their FE counterparts as well as other distinctions.

Having a few individual monster units as recruitable units wouldn't be out of the question for Zelda, I mean characters like the Secret Moblin and Demitri tthe Dodongo exist. I imagine monster recruitable would be rare, similar to how you usually don't recruit a lot of pirates in Fire Emblem.

As for the marriage system, I think a strategy Zelda could do without it.

I would expand the Hammer weapon into a subcategory of axes, similar to how Fates had clubs as the Hoshidan version of axes, with the staple D Rank Hammer becoming the Iron Hammer and there also being Bronze, Steel, and Silver Hammers. Hammers would be the Goron tribe's favorite variant of Axes. I was also thinking of Tomahawks likewise being the Rito tribe's favorite axe variant, being lightweight and ranged not to mention fitting into the Rito's vague Native American feel. Hand Axe becomes Iron Tomahawk, Short Axe becomes Steel Tomahawk, and the Tomahawk becomes Silver Tomahawk.

We could see this elsewhere as well; Hylians get Swords, Sheikah get Katanas, Gerudo get Scimitars, and Gorons get Claymores.

• Swords/Katanas/Scimitars/Claymores
  • Axes/Hammers/Tomahawks
  • Lances/Naginata/Tridents
  • Bombs/Rockets/Kegs
  • Bows/Harpoons
  • Daggers/Shuriken/Boomerangs

43 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

As I often say around the Zelda Universe forum, just because you don't want to do something doesn't mean other players shouldn't have the option. If you want Link and Zelda to stay platonic, you can do that in your playthrough, but other players, like myself, would enjoy the chance to see them actually get married. The relationship system is a big part of Fire Emblem's depth, not to mention a major source of character development; without it, there just isn't as much investment in the characters.

Then why not just do A-Support endings like in the GBA games rather then implement an unnecessary marriage and breeding system.

It'd be weird if certain Zelda characters got Romance focused supports.

43 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I would expand the Hammer weapon into a subcategory of axes, similar to how Fates had clubs as the Hoshidan version of axes, with the staple D Rank Hammer becoming the Iron Hammer and there also being Bronze, Steel, and Silver Hammers. Hammers would be the Goron tribe's favorite variant of Axes. I was also thinking of Tomahawks likewise being the Rito tribe's favorite axe variant, being lightweight and ranged not to mention fitting into the Rito's vague Native American feel. Hand Axe becomes Iron Tomahawk, Short Axe becomes Steel Tomahawk, and the Tomahawk becomes Silver Tomahawk.

We could see this elsewhere as well; Hylians get Swords, Sheikah get Katanas, Gerudo get Scimitars, and Gorons get Claymores.

• Swords/Katanas/Scimitars/Claymores
  • Axes/Hammers/Tomahawks
  • Lances/Naginata/Tridents
  • Bombs/Rockets/Kegs
  • Bows/Harpoons
  • Daggers/Shuriken/Boomerangs

That reminds how Berwick Saga had some sub weapons.

There it was 

* Swords/Blades/Maces

* Lances/Spears/PitchForks

* Crossbows/Ballista

43 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Then why not just do A-Support endings like in the GBA games rather then implement an unnecessary marriage and breeding system.

It'd be weird if certain Zelda characters got Romance focused supports.

Because fans who enjoy that system can do so while those who don't care for it can skip?

Why would it be weird? Link/Zelda might as well be canon, Link has had multiple suitors in the past, and most of the characters are original, though some would draw obvious inspiration from past Zelda and Fire Emblem characters. Some ideas:

• Lia - Zelda's little sister who supports her allies as a Troubadour. Pretty much the Elise of her game.
  • Kori - A lumberjack's son who traded his hatchet for a battle axe to help protect his village and Hyrule.
  • Moru - Kori's little brother, an Archer.
  • Faronore - A green-haired Druid who wields wind and lightning magic.
  • Larunay - A Diviner raised among the Sheikah, known for her singing voice.
  • Dinelle - A Dancer aligned with the Gerudo, though not formally of their race herself.
  • Ignus - A Goron Geomancer who likes to study ancient writings and relics. Unusually eloquent and sophisticated for a Goron.
  • Rufin - The Zora prince, a Captain skilled at using swords and tridents.
  • Giliana - The Zora princess and Rufin's sister, a Life Guard skilled at fighting with tridents and healing with staves.

9 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Because fans who enjoy that system can do so while those who don't care for it can skip?

You can't really skip the romance/child system like you can with romantic A-Supports and A-support endings.

9 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Why would it be weird? Link/Zelda might as well be canon, Link has had multiple suitors in the past, and most of the characters are original, though some would draw obvious inspiration from past Zelda and Fire Emblem characters.

Because you have characters like:

* Darunia/The Gorons: Who seem to be genderless.

*  Deku Scrubs

* Playable Monsters

* Even hylian characters like Beedle and Tingle having all romantic supports would  be weird.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

They're not genderless, as the following proves:

"My son is crying because he misses me?? Why do you know that? My son misses me... Ulp! Forgive me, my child! Your father has work to do! Darmani... Be you a ghost or a figment of my imagination, I no longer care. If you feel pity for my crying son... then please quietly sing my son to sleep with this song I am about to play on my drum." - Goron Elder, Majora's Mask

The use of the words "son" and "father" proves that there are at least male Gorons in existence.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

They're not genderless, as the following proves:

The use of the words "son" and "father" proves that there are at least male Gorons in existence.

I was thinking how in Breath of the Wild, Gorons are allowed into a gerurdo town with a no man policy.

18 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

The thing is that for a romance between the two to be believable, their entire relationship throughout the game would have to reflect and build up to it. Otherwise, it would come out of nowhere.

As for the bolded, you're right of course and I'm all for developing Link, Zelda, and other characters through supports. But, like in FE, I'm not sure building the relationship system around marriage and kids is the best way to go about it.

Anyway since this is purely hypothetical there's no point getting in an argument haha. I'm sure there would be plenty of that if they ever developed such a game.

On 3/12/2018 at 10:28 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

You can't really skip the romance/child system like you can with romantic A-Supports and A-support endings.

In so far as Lucina automatically joining your party in Awakening?

On 3/12/2018 at 10:28 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

Because you have characters like:

*  Deku Scrubs

* Playable Monsters

* Even hylian characters like Beedle and Tingle having all romantic supports would  be weird.

As I pointed out earlier, the Gorons would replace marriage with Sworn Brother/Sisterhood, since they're willing to form such bonds outside their own tribe.

Deku Scrubs haven't really been a developed tribe outside of MM, and so would probably get monster units if anything. I like them better than Koroks, but I miss the Kokiri.

There's only so much room for player characters, and frankly I'd rather dedicate a slot to Zelda's son than a Moblin. I could see some kind of mode that lets you control monster units, though, or allow you to call upon ally monster units.

Now you're just being mean. They can't all be handsome blonde knights chosen by the gods. :P Goofy guys deserve love too!

Spoiler

And if you play Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy-Red Rupeeland, he actually gets some from Pinkle.

Not to mention even the Fire Emblem games have "less eligible bachelors". Gregor's a nice guy and all, but it's hard to put him with any of the female characters barring maybe Miriel on account of how he looks to be a good 15-20 years older. Henry's kinda off putting. And in my playthrough, Kellam wasn't lucky enough to get with any of the ladies.

On 3/12/2018 at 12:58 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

I was thinking how in Breath of the Wild, Gorons are allowed into a gerurdo town with a no man policy.

Personally I chafe at that part of the lore, but I imagine the Gerudo are showing sympathy towards the fact Gorons have no known females. Still a dumb law if you ask me...

On 3/12/2018 at 6:05 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

Often the relationship/breeding only exists in three out of fifteen Fire Emblem games.

Two of the former being among the more recent and most popular entries, and three of the latter being remakes of past entries. Twenty years from now, that figure could transform into over half the series, especially if they add the marriage/kid system to future remakes.

Edited by Lord_Brand

15 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

In so far as Lucina automatically joining your party in Awakening?

And that means the players misses out on a dozen paralogues and powerful playable characters. Effectively you are pretty much forced to breed the characters unless you want to make your play through more difficult and lose it on major content.

As I pointed out earlier, the Gorons would replace marriage with Sworn Brother/Sisterhood, since they're willing to form such bonds outside their own tribe.

Deku Scrubs haven't really been a developed tribe outside of MM, and so would probably get monster units if anything. I like them better than Koroks, but I miss the Kokiri.

There's only so much room for player characters, and frankly I'd rather dedicate a slot to Zelda's son than a Moblin. I could see some kind of mode that lets you control monster units, though, or allow you to call upon ally monster units.

At that point, why even include the breeding system if not everyone can breed. Again GBA/POR style supports would work so much better.

Deku Scrubs are a major and iconic part of the series, people would want to play them.

Why wouldn't you get something like a Moblin or Octorok, they are part of the series and again can be friendly.

Now you're just being mean. They can't all be handsome blonde knights chosen by the gods. :P Goofy guys deserve love too!

Again, some romantic supports wouldn't be odd, like Tingle having a romance option with Pinkle, but having all romance options for people like Tingle could get weird.

And do note, Awakening/Fates do have much less variety in the character's cast appearance due to the desire to make all prospective people attractive.

As for Gregor, he is nowhere near unattractive, especially compared to other playable characters in the franchise. The fact that someone as young as Gregor is even called Old in Awakening when past games would consider him young, is a good example of the higher standard for youth/attractiveness with the marriage system in place.

Two of the former being among the more recent and most popular entries, and two of the latter being remakes of past entries. Twenty years from now, that figure could transform into over half the series, especially if they add the marriage/kid system to future remakes.

The most popular game in the series, Mystery of the Emblem has no marriage system. And do note, the marriage/children system was a major point of criticism of Fates.

How would they add the marriage/kid system to remakes, it would require retooling the entire plot. Particularly when many games have characters that aren't interested in romance/children or are already married with children. Thats not even getting into how they'd implement a timeskip or time travel.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

7 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

The Gerudo think that he is a woman, as the Goron tells you if you talk to him.

14 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

To my recollection, the Goron said he doesn't know why they let him in.

Obviously because they think he's a woman. They wouldn't let him in otherwise.

11 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

The most popular game in the series, Mystery of the Emblem has no marriage system. And do note, the marriage/children system was a major point of criticism of Fates.

From where I'm standing, Awakening and Fates are two of the most popular titles considering they saved the series and frankly overshadow every past installment in terms of sales numbers, particularly in the west, not to mention sheer popularity among the insurgence of new fans. Only Heroes for smart phones outperforms them.

And Fates having relationships and kids would be divisive, but that doesn't mean it wasn't popular.

And the fact is, a Zelda game with a relationship system would be of great interest to fans, especially when it has tangible results.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 1 year later...

So, it just so happens that I am actually building a fan game in FEbuilderGBA with this exact theme. It will be a Legend of Zelda themed game using FE for the mechanics. I only just started so it is a big work in progress, but I will need a lot of help with the sprites if anyone is interested in helping me achieve this dream.