Jordan Peterson, my hero

Junkhead

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dopey dude in a fedora talking about alpha males. I thought the internet moved past this.

Get a better hero.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

A dopey dude in a fedora talking about alpha males. I thought the internet moved past this.

Get a better hero.

Did you actually, like, watched the video.

Like, at all.

2 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Did you actually, like, watched the video.

Like, at all.

Yup.

He says a bunch of basic shit(Boiling down to "Man, the 50s were great, men now are just extreme assholes or pussies"), which is pretty much what Jordan Peterson does every time he talks about anything that's not psychology.

The most I got out of the video was the quotes at the timestamp you gave, then laughing that the dude who uploaded this using an anime clip to close out the video.

Edited by Slumber

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yup.

He says a bunch of basic shit(Boiling down to "Man, the 50s were great, men now are just extreme assholes or pussies"), which is pretty much what Jordan Peterson does every time he talks about anything that's not psychology.

The most I got out of the video was the quotes at the timestamp you gave, then laughing that the dude who uploaded this using an anime clip to close out the video.

I think it's a real issue, and it goes way beyond the whole "alpha male" bullshit. He's talking about the real thing, and not those fake posers who are loud and obnoxious. 

The anime thing is the uploader's outro, that has nothing to do with it.

9 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

I think it's a real issue, and it goes way beyond the whole "alpha male" bullshit. He's talking about the real thing, and not those fake posers who are loud and obnoxious. 

The anime thing is the uploader's outro, that has nothing to do with it.

See, I don't. I don't really give a shit if we have more effeminate men out there. The more extreme assholes are definitely a problem, but they've ALWAYS existed and they'll probably never go away. The "return to the 50s!" ideal baffles and always will baffle me. Especially with Jordan Peterson, who wasn't even alive in the 50s. It comes off like he got the idea of the "perfect 50s man" from adults when he grew up, and fine, if his idea of the ideal male is somebody like his father, then cool. But it's going to make it very hard to take his stance on what men should be seriously.

I probably came off as a bit hostile, but Jordan Peterson's following has been particularly annoying in my personal life as of late. I don't think he's the worst thing ever, but he says stuff that either make me go "Well duh" or "That's dumb" for 98% of his stuff, and I don't unserstand his rabid fanbase. So seeing "Jordan Peterson, my hero" struck a nerve.

Edited by Slumber

Jordan Peterson is kind of a loser dude

its admittedly pretty funny when he gets into fights with living tumblr memes, but also begs the question of "don't either of these people have better things to do, real issues to bring forward?"

If I have to stomach a converative pundit, id rather take Ben Shapiro, if only because he at least tried to make some effort to keep a level head and tries to stay away from inflammatory comments(the operative word being tries)

20 minutes ago, Integrity said:

i wake up every morning and pray that i don't see this dipshit in my circles

and now here he is on sf

i am disappointed

Why? (no, seriously)

because he's a complete dickbag and unironically espouses two things i cannot stand as his major public face:

1: "things were better back in <time, especially the 50s>" no they fucking well weren't, i have never seen this stance put forth in a way that wasn't 'i wish men were MEN' which is the worst toxic masculine bullshit out there and 99% of the time comes with condemnation of lgbt stuff like hey sorry my guy i'd also fuck a dude what's your deal. don't get me wrong i love being a man and i won't stand to be put down about it when the fringe element starts to spout #KillAllMen but that doesn't mean masculinity can't be completely toxic and that's what idealization of the 1950s is arguing for.

2: "political correctness has gone too far and we need to act to stop it" there's a chrome mod somebody whipped up that replaces 'political correctness' with 'treating people with respect' and if you strip away the boogeyman element that the right has put on it that's literally what it is. i cannot take anyone who unironically rails against political correctness seriously because they're always, to a man, railing against a fiction that tumblrinas are somehow a real and majorly present faction and not bizarre outsiders trying to band together for some semblance of security.

I'm reading what you have to say, so you guys can keep going. I wasn't aware of these parts. I also take the "tumblr memes" in regards to LGTB.

Are you sure the 1950s part wasn't just an example of what he's trying to say?

Edited by Soul~!

16 minutes ago, Integrity said:

because he's a complete dickbag and unironically espouses two things i cannot stand as his major public face:

1: "things were better back in <time, especially the 50s>" no they fucking well weren't, i have never seen this stance put forth in a way that wasn't 'i wish men were MEN' which is the worst toxic masculine bullshit out there and 99% of the time comes with condemnation of lgbt stuff like hey sorry my guy i'd also fuck a dude what's your deal. don't get me wrong i love being a man and i won't stand to be put down about it when the fringe element starts to spout #KillAllMen but that doesn't mean masculinity can't be completely toxic and that's what idealization of the 1950s is arguing for.

2: "political correctness has gone too far and we need to act to stop it" there's a chrome mod somebody whipped up that replaces 'political correctness' with 'treating people with respect' and if you strip away the boogeyman element that the right has put on it that's literally what it is. i cannot take anyone who unironically rails against political correctness seriously because they're always, to a man, railing against a fiction that tumblrinas are somehow a real and majorly present faction and not bizarre outsiders trying to band together for some semblance of security.

The worst, most egregious bit(To me), is that Jordan Peterson has done a few lectures on race, and differences between them.

He usually doesn't outright say anything racist, but he doesn't ever go far enough as to discourage racism or handle the topics in such a way that would curb it(Again, sort of his MO when doing more touchy subjects. He opens a discussion that might incite hate, and then never closes it and just lets his fans go wild)... which leads to an unfortunate amount of people hearing him going "Yeah, fuck *insert races that aren't white here* people.", and regurgitating what he says in an effort to sound educated and reinforcing their own racism.

Edited by Slumber

Peterson's arguments are also just generally a waste of time because he puts all this effort into just targeting like, the furthest fringes of the left

so even if he weren't a dick, he's still mostly wasting his time by scrapping with a tiny little portion of people, which is why I really can't be concerned by the shit he does because it's never going to amount to anything more than a 4chan circlejerk

18 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

I'm reading what you have to say, so you guys can keep going. I wasn't aware of these parts. I also take the "tumblr memes" in regards to LGTB.

Are you sure the 1950s part wasn't just an example of what he's trying to say?

No there's very much an over arching narrative among these guys about "the good old days", and they basically not-so-subtly imply that they miss being on top of the food chain, and being able to beat the shit out of everybody below them, figuratively and literally, with no repercussions

like uh, watch Mad Men, it'll give you an idea 

i listened to him a while and he seemed obsessed with "order" hence why he has an affinity for Christianity, or at least the part that defines the purpose in life that believers should have.

I mean naturally, these guys love the whole "Judeo-Christian west must defeat the barbaric east" narrative, and it's easy to being people into your circle and views if you can convince them it's only being pious to believe that shit

did he literally open with "remember those ... that repressed women?"

these sure are the type of guys we ought to model eh?

ha ha imagine letting women live their own lives and do their own things!!!!!

wow!!!!!

ive decided immediately that i dont like this guy, 5 seconds in. ill keep a log of the sheer bullshit of this video, because I feel it's coming.

also, what the hell is wrong with divorcing??? "staying married" is like... such a ridiculous ideal. if you're miserable in your relationship, if you fight all the time, maybe don't stay in it. not everything can be fixed. otherwise you end up in a cold, loveless, meaningless relationship. i know there is stuff between staying together for children but this is something else. i think im in for a ride.

17 minutes ago, Darros said:

did he literally open with "remember those ... that repressed women?"

these sure are the type of guys we ought to model eh?

ha ha imagine letting women live their own lives and do their own things!!!!!

wow!!!!!

It's funny that you mention this, because there's a topic going around reddit(Yes, I know, Reddit sucks) about Jordan Peterson losing his shit in a Time interview because Frozen is "female independence propaganda".

Edited by Slumber