State of the Heroes page

Shiki

Alright guys, we need to talk about this.

On-Going Events still lists stuff from May, the Weapon database is largely incomplete (pretty much from Book II onwards) and the availability chart shows World of Radiance, a summoning focus also dating from May. It's March 2018 and the site is lagging almost a year behind.
Just by looking at the site I wouldn't even know what Tempest Trials are which are a staple in the Heroes experience.

If I understand correctly someone was made Editor for this but looking at the sorry state of the page it's pretty clear nothing is really done. For SF, the database for Fire Emblem games, that's a pretty poor showing.

It's easy to say to just look towards other sites like the FEH wiki or gamepress but come on, guys, hire some fresh blood and start to overhaul the page. e.g. add some links to useful tools like the Battle simulator and at least start displaying current events, that much alone can be done without too much effort.

Edited by Zeratul

I don't know if the official policy allows direct links to some of the resource sites on the main, page, but I think many of them are linked in the forums.  It would be nice to have them all in the same place on the official page, though.

The Gamepedia IV Calculator seems to have been broken for the last several weeks.  Gamepress seems to still work okay, though.

Ah yes, sorry, I've been focusing on other things and have been procrastinating a lot on the Heroes front.

A while back, I hired @Ice Dragon to help work on the content, but he seems to be busier than I expected. I know he has worked on the weapon databases somewhat recently. Anyway, I'll try and discuss if we need some more people on board.

Right now I've reorganised the main page a little and I'll probably tinker with it some more soon.

I don't mind linking to external sites, although I prefer not to, simply because I can't control the content. At best, they can become inactive or disappear outright and at worse, they could have malicious content--which I don't think will happen, but you can never be too sure.

I do have some downtime right now, so I'll try and add some new pages and update some of the current ones. I probably won't have time to do everything right now though.

Yeah, work has been keeping me rather busy, and game events and other game releases certainly haven't been helping with that (to the point where I'v pretty much been doing the monthly quests in a several-hour marathon at the end of each month). My deepest apologies for not having been able to get everything caught back up.

I'm currently away on a business trip, but I anticipate having time this weekend to try to start adding Weapon Refinery updates to the weapons pages (and getting the other weapon types and new weapons added) now that I think I know how I want things formatted and I've finished catching up on DLC content in Warriors (being away from home is great for the Switch) and there shouldn't be any time-consuming events going in on Heroes or the other games I'm playing.

I intend to update the heroes data and mechanics afterwords (I have no idea how I want to format stat variation yet), but that means it'll be some time before I can get to the other pages (events, quests, game modes, etc.). It's also been a bit of a hindrance to me that I play the game in Japanese, which means I don't have easy access to the actual names of banners and quests in English.

Good to see that this will be addressed.

22 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's also been a bit of a hindrance to me that I play the game in Japanese, which means I don't have easy access to the actual names of banners and quests in English.

Couldn't you technically ask someone in the forum to feed you the names from the English version?

A quick update to keep people in the loop. Things have come up at work, which chewed into the weekend, so things will be delayed until tomorrow probably (I will try to sleep tonight).

Current plans are to add tomes, breaths, and staves and update the existing lists to finish the list of weapons in the mid-week wave. Refinements will be added afterwords, though that'll require me finagling with icons, so it may take some time.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

A quick update to keep people in the loop. Things have come up at work, which chewed into the weekend, so things will be delayed until tomorrow probably (I will try to sleep tonight).

Current plans are to add tomes, breaths, and staves and update the existing lists to finish the list of weapons in the mid-week wave. Refinements will be added afterwords, though that'll require me finagling with icons, so it may take some time.

Thanks! I might be able to help with the icons. If you have time, send me a list of what you need ^^

I've since updated the list of Heroes and availabile skills, although they still need improvement, especially the skills.

6 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Thanks! I might be able to help with the icons. If you have time, send me a list of what you need ^^

I'll pretty much need the default weapon icon (the two crossed swords) and all of the refinement icons. They can be their original size and I'll handle the resizing with CSS because that's what it's for.

For future use, I'd pretty much eventually need all of the skill icons eventually anyways for when I get to them...

Now that I think of it, I could technically just use the entire sprite sheet and use CSS to crop the image on the fly, but that's janky and lazy-looking, and getting coordinates is kind of a pain even if they're nice multiples.