Was the Fire Dragon supposed to move?

Kysafen

321.png

Consider the following:

-The Fire Dragon has 8 movement

-The “6 spaces” on the lower half of the sides of the map belong to bishops/sages/druids with long-range magic/staves.

If the Fire Dragon was supposed to move, you’d be locked in a battle to keep it from going towards the bottom of the map.

What undermines this, however, is the fact that you can keep it from moving by simply surrounding it, and the fact that of the units that can surround it, can survive at least one hit, making it easy to just spam heal staves and rescuing any healbots that can’t take the hit from the dragon.

Unless, of course, your units weren’t meant to start right at the top of the map. What if the Fire Dragon was supposed to move, and your units actually started off at the bottom of the map? Was that the original intention, and that it was changed to make the final boss easier, or was the 8 movement a trap for first-time players to retreat into the enemy range of the magic users?

Well the Kaga game's bosses and the FE6 dragon didn't have AI to move either, so I don't think so.

The Fire Dragon (and the other final boss units) having a movement stat seems to have been for no real purpose

Edited by Reality

Idoun moves, actually, though neither of the other FE6 dragon bosses do (which of course makes them terrible).

I don't think the Fire Dragon was intended to move though. FE is really enamoured with having most of its major and/or final bosses be immobile, with only rare exceptions. I think if the Dragon had been intended to move, he'd have been given a low move stat like Idoun and the Demon King.

Given that part two of the final chapter has an EXP requirement that you absolutely cannot achieve by just fighting the Dragon, I'm pretty sure IS expected the player to Bolt and/or Purge those druids, sages, and bishops at the bottom of the screen too.

I remember reading up the party was suppose to start at the bottom of the map. Unfortunately, I can't find where I read it. I already rechecked the Protoype section of Blazing Sword on the main site, but found nothing.

For what it's worth, there's a picture on how to open the debug menu, which shows the final chapter, and the character at the bottom.

Debug1.png

But it's hard to say if they really started there, or it's something else involved with using the prototype. And yes, the final chapter had a different color, but it is the same map.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

It's the thing about final bosses; as soon as you have your dedicated healer/attacker on it, it's pretty much heal/rescue/retreat. Maybe it's my playing FE7 like 8 or 9 times, but there's something about the final boss/chapters that fails to keep me on my toes as much as the earlygame. It probably has to do with the uniformity of the earlygame vs the ambiguous, variable nature of the endgame (did this unit get good level-ups, which units were you able to recruit on one route vs another, did your units survive, etc.).

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I remember reading up the party was suppose to start at the bottom of the map. Unfortunately, I can't find where I read it. I already rechecked the Protoype section of Blazing Sword on the main site, but found nothing.

For what it's worth, there's a picture on how to open the debug menu, which shows the final chapter, and the character at the bottom.

But it's hard to say if they really started there, or it's something else involved with using the prototype. And yes, the final chapter had a different color, but it is the same map.

You might be thinking of this.

It was a long time ago, but I remember the spellcasters being annoying. That's probably why the party was moved higher in the final release.

I don't recall the Fire Dragon moving in either of the betas, but it's possible he moved in an earlier beta that we don't have. We may never know though!

On 14/3/2018 at 4:22 AM, VincentASM said:

You might be thinking of this.

It was a long time ago, but I remember the spellcasters being annoying. That's probably why the party was moved higher in the final release.

I don't recall the Fire Dragon moving in either of the betas, but it's possible he moved in an earlier beta that we don't have. We may never know though!

Ah, I see. Oh wow, that was made one day after I joined. That is long ago, lol.

Hmm, what a pity. Still interesting though.

4 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

It's been a long time since I've played, but I'm pretty sure that the fire dragon moves in the Japanese version.

Well, I'm not really sure on that. I haven't found anything of the sort, looking it up. Something like that would be already documented somewhere if it was true.

19 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

It's been a long time since I've played, but I'm pretty sure that the fire dragon moves in the Japanese version.

This is not the first time I've heard this claim, but likewise, I have not seen any concrete proof of this happening.

I always thought it was a misconception from the earlier days.

43 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

This is not the first time I've heard this claim, but likewise, I have not seen any concrete proof of this happening.

I always thought it was a misconception from the earlier days.

Now I'm confused. I played the Japanese version a year or two ago, and I remember the final battle being hard because the fire dragon moved and one-shotted my weaker characters. 
But when I played through the final chapter again now to confirm, it didn't move at all.

Perhaps my memory is worse than I thought...

I wonder if it's possible there was a mix-up somewhere with the fire dragon and Ashnard (who does move on hard mode) leading to those strange rumors.

Or it may have just been started from the general conception that the Japanese version of a game tends to be harder. Someone might have brought up the idea of it somewhere and it evolved into a rumor about it actually happening.