What are you hoping for Story-wise?

Guest Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi

Just another dumb question I wanted to ask everyone, it's basically a "what do YOU want from FE Switch?" question only this one is specifically asking about what you are/aren't hoping for in terms of plot, setting, writing, themes, etc, whatever.

I hope this isn't too similar to too many other threads here

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dreamyboi
2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'm hoping competency.

I'm expecting incompetency.

26 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

Anything really. Like I don't really care what the story is about, I just want a good game. Just don't make it like 13 and 14, that's really it. 

Can't say I disagree with either one of these, though I've been back and forth with this for a while.

On a more serious note, I'll hit some generals I want:

• Shades of gray in the villains. Whether it be sympathetic backstories, or clear, understandable motivations, give us ANYTHING that makes the villains not as cartoonish as they were in Awakening and Fates.
  • World building. Fates dropped the ball harder than any game in the franchise, barring possibly SS, a game that was simply made because IS had some extra time and resources in between FE7 and 9. Build a world, mythology, ACTUALLY NAME THE CONTINENT THE GAME IS SET ON, all of this. It makes the world believable.
  • Either stick to a dark tone or a light hearted one. The constant flipping between "Oh man, I can't believe X was just brutally murdered" and "Oh man, look at this whacky zany character and look at their shenanigans" absolutely ruined the tone of Fates. Awakening kind of pulled it off because it never quite went grimdark like Fates did, and the serious moments brought the tone down for a while. You also didn't have stuff like people bringing up how the goofy prankster stoner priest died suddenly then just everyone moves on. It's so tone deaf and stupid.
  • Preferably, no dragon boss. Do something new.
  • If there is a dragon boss, don't make him so unbelievably powerful that the moment something that makes them seem weak happens, their entire existence becomes a contradiction.
  • No goddamn time/space travel.

I feel like a lot of people will echo these sentiments, but there's a reason for that.

I just want competent villains and the return of world building.

And that's probably going to happen. I feel the villains of Fates and Awakening were victims of circumstance rather than the writers taking the piss. They don't gain anything by insisting on bad villains so its easy to assume they will try to fix that recurring mistake from the newer games. 

The new Fire emblem being on a console also gives me bigger hope for the world building of that game. The last Fire emblem on a console did really well with its world building. 

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

• Shades of gray in the villains. Whether it be sympathetic backstories, or clear, understandable motivations, give us ANYTHING that makes the villains not as cartoonish as they were in Awakening and Fates.
  • World building. Fates dropped the ball harder than any game in the franchise, barring possibly SS, a game that was simply made because IS had some extra time and resources in between FE7 and 9. Build a world, mythology, ACTUALLY NAME THE CONTINENT THE GAME IS SET ON, all of this. It makes the world believable.
  • Either stick to a dark tone or a light hearted one. The constant flipping between "Oh man, I can't believe X was just brutally murdered" and "Oh man, look at this whacky zany character and look at their shenanigans" absolutely ruined the tone of Fates. Awakening kind of pulled it off because it never quite went grimdark like Fates did, and the serious moments brought the tone down for a while. You also didn't have stuff like people bringing up how the goofy prankster stoner priest died suddenly then just everyone moves on. It's so tone deaf and stupid.

On top of these, I'd like to add:

• A half-decent female protagonist
  • Less player pandering through the Avatar (who I would prefer to be presented as a "Custom Unit" who isn't necessarily supposed to represent the player)

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

Shades of gray in the villains. Whether it be sympathetic backstories, or clear, understandable motivations, give us ANYTHING that makes the villains not as cartoonish as they were in Awakening and Fates.

That would be quite a natural reaction to the Fates villains but I don't think the problems were that they were cartoonishly evil. 

Garon's problem wasn't that he was completely, 100% pure evil but that he was so evil when the plot really, really needed him not to be. Garon being so evil disqualified the Nohrian choice and that was the problem. 

Likewise being completely evil wasn't the problem of Validar. His problem was that he didn't have a single interesting trait to go allong with being evil. 

I think 100% evil villains like Hades or Metalface could work really well in Fire emblem. Being cartoonishly evil doesn't have to be a detriment if the villains have interesting traits and charisma to go with it. 

Guest Dreamyboi
7 hours ago, Slumber said:

• If there is a dragon boss, don't make him so unbelievably powerful that the moment something that makes them seem weak happens, their entire existence becomes a contradiction.
  • No goddamn time/space travel.

I feel like a lot of people will echo these sentiments, but there's a reason for that.

Same for all of these, though I'd also add:

• No "Wow protagonist kun is soooo different from the rest of us look at how special they are"
  • No Avatar main character, Corrin already showed us how it isn't going to work
  • No "The villain was possessed the whooooole time, now we gotta fight the one dimensional monster responsible"

I agree that how you can have a good (or even great) villain be two-dimensional, though I myself am more partial to the ones that seem more real.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

Along with all this, I'd like to see social commentary on a real-world issue that doesn't get much (if any) attention in the usual FE plots. I know that's extremely unlikely (FE likes to preach to the choir, it seems), but it'd be pretty dang cool and fresh. That is, if it were pulled off well; I worry the writers might go with something they can't handle.

45 minutes ago, Tessie Spoon said:

Along with all this, I'd like to see social commentary on a real-world issue that doesn't get much (if any) attention in the usual FE plots.

Three massive themes in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were racism, religion, and political corruption. The way it executed these themes worked because the games weaved it into the lore and foundation of the world they are based in. If another FE game can manage to do that again without feeling forced, I'd be down for it.

Edited by CatManThree

Good memorable villains, main character, and world.

The 3DS era was hit or miss for me in these three things. Awakening had a couple ok villains but the main ones were awful, Lucina I liked and Robin is ok but Chrom is dull, and the world wasn't very developed. Fates had some good royal family members but Corrin was awful, no world building, and no good villains. SoV did step it up a notch so I'm pretty confident FE16 will even more.

I also want a story that's less shonen and more epic fantasy.

No generic monster enemies that only serve as cannon fodder (see: Risen, Faceless). If you're going to use monsters go the FE8 route and make it an actual army of different types.

I don't want shades of gray in the villains, at least not the main one. Give them proper and understandable motivations, yes, but don't make them "oh from a certain point of view he was a good guy :^)" tier.

Echoing someone else - make the theme more fantasy and less shonen. I like shonen from time to time but I prefer epic tales.

Make the lord a total badass who already has a lot of experience and isn't new to politics. A Jagen lord would be killer.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

4 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I don't want shades of gray in the villains, at least not the main one. Give them proper and understandable motivations, yes, but don't make them "oh from a certain point of view he was a good guy :^)" tier.

You realize you just contradicted yourself right?

A female protagonist who is the sole protagonist and does not share the spotlight with a guy, woman can be good leaders without a guy so why not in FE?

I would love it if the magic triangle came back, I miss light magic

I want the skill Steal back on thieves, Awakening and Fates took away one of the most fun things to do with a thief.  I want to be able to walk up to an enemy and swipe their stuff again.

A better story with world building would also be great, along with gameplay like Conquest.

33 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

You realize you just contradicted yourself right?

Interesting and well-written villains are not necessarily morally gray. A villain having motivations that aren't "I'm evil because of reasons" does not make them morally gray.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

Guest Dreamyboi
4 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Interesting and well-written villains are not necessarily morally gray.

While I'd definitely appreciate a villain with shades of gray to them I will agree that it's not entirely necessary to a good one.

I would like to see a more world building to add more depth and also to create more reason/purpose for the quest.
The return of light, dark, wind, thunder and fire magic types.  
Weapon durability, forging and some sort of repair feature in the armoury(s) 
A world map that the player has to go around 
No phoenix or causal mode as it defeats the object of fire emblem; what is the point in playing if their is little or to no risk?
Some form of choice or player decision such as what route to take on the world map or situations where the player has to chose characters like Deen and Sonya , not the £30 Fateslandia 'choice'.

45 minutes ago, unabletofindaid said:

No phoenix or causal mode as it defeats the object of fire emblem; what is the point in playing if their is little or to no risk?

This is entirely your problem. Not everyone is as good in Fire Emblem or enjoys it the same way as you. I honestly don't see the point of removing those features if it's just going to alienate some fans.

2 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

No generic monster enemies that only serve as cannon fodder (see: Risen, Faceless). If you're going to use monsters go the FE8 route and make it an actual army of different types.

Echoing someone else - make the theme more fantasy and less shonen. I like shonen from time to time but I prefer epic tales.

Make the lord a total badass who already has a lot of experience and isn't new to politics. A Jagen lord would be killer.

Shades of gray in a villain doesn't mean they're a good guy from a certain point of view. It means that they're not a completely black villain. 

Validar, Garon, Iago and Hans are all completely black villains. They kill and do bad things because they like it. There's not a single redeeming quality to any of these characters. 

Compare to someone like Sephiran. Sephiran by the time of PoR/RD, in no sense of the word, can be described as a good guy. He's intentionally stirring up chaos in order to awaken the gods so they can essentially wipe out humanity and reset everything. In Awakening and Fates, we'd get no explanation or backstop to this, he'd simply be a cackling madman, twiddling his fingers and talking about how great Ashera is. But this isn't Awakening or Fates, so we actually get to understand why this happened. Sephiran had been trying to bridge peace between the Laguz and Beorc for a thousand years, but he encountered nothing but tragedy. He lost his Laguz abilities, the people he loved died, leaders constantly went back to conflict any time peace seemed like a reality, and the final straw was his good intentions getting abused, leading to his race nearly getting exterminated and his home getting burned to the ground. 

He wasn't a good guy by the time of PoR/RD, but he wasn't really a bad guy(Well, bad as a person). He was somebody who just broke. You understand what brought him here. And, ironically, even though the games boils down to a God of Chaos vs. A God of Order, the story's not black and white because a lot of the villains have shades of gray. 

This doesn't even have to apply to main villains. FE5 is the only game I can think of in the series that ever actually explains why bandits are so common. And while there are bandits that kill and plunder for the hell of it, they actually explain that it's because the Thracian Penninsula is such a hostile, oppressive place, that it's extremely hard to make a living on honest work. People like Gomez try to be honest men and go straight like Dagdar, but they felt like there was no place for them in that life. So they went back to banditry.

Again, they're bandits. Not good guys. But they're not these 100% evil faceless goons. 

That's what shades of gray are. Just anything that makes you stop and go "Huh. Maybe the other side has an actual reason for fighting, too." 

Guest Dreamyboi
48 minutes ago, Slumber said:

That's what shades of gray are. Just anything that makes you stop and go "Huh. Maybe the other side has an actual reason for fighting, too." 

Ohhh. Whoops.

Kinda misunderstood that then, my mistake.

Edited by Dreamyboi