Most annoying gimmick?

Snow shoveling with Zola in Izumo. 

The entire map is a tedious slog, with the need to go through all of the snow for max reward, and you only get six units, making splitting up very impractical.  

Just... why IS.

I'm not even sure where to begin. There were so many annoying gimmicks XD

Void curse, the shockwaves from the final chapter, and the wind tribe gimmick come to mind as some of the most frustrating things I remember from Conquest specifically

A gimmick from a whole game is fair game? Then I say the pawn shop from Genealogy. That as a substitute for trading... Why. Just... Why. Then there's the individual money system that's a severe headache to deal with.

FE6 Chapter 16x. What was that, random columns of piercing damage that can kill wasn't enough? I know, let's add several siege tomes to the chapter!

Geoffrey's Charge. No, a map with extremely high density of extremely weak enemies that you can either kill or keep alive is not good. It's just boring as fuck.

Worst map in the series.

Fog of War, because it only applies to the player. The AI however, is unaffected by Fog of War, and thus has an unrestricted view of the map.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The entire map is a tedious slog, with the need to go through all of the snow for max reward, and you only get six units, making splitting up very impractical.  

Just... why IS.

This is the moment I quit playing Revelation and have never gone back.

As people have said, as great as FE5 was in some ways, there were some astoundingly tedious things about it. I'll throw in Cyas. He's manageable, but it's just such a pain.

3 hours ago, CyberController said:

For me, it’s Conquest chapter 19. Stupid Kitsune. Its irritating enough that they can turn invincible. What makes  it even worse is that it’s a rout the enemy objective.

This is one of them.

3 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Just... why IS.

And this is another one I was gonna list.

I especially hated the snow shoveling shit.  That's why I always use this map and chart from GameFAQs while playing it so that I at least know where the enemies are, as well as the treasures:

Spoiler

AnAyvcW.png

Item Location Item Item Location Item
A01 (Defeat Enemy) Master Seal N20 (Defeat Enemy) Mend
I21 (Defeat Enemy) Elixir E23 (Defeat Enemy) Talisman
C19 (Defeat Enemy) Goddess Icon C22 (Defeat Enemy) Dracoshield
D17 (Defeat Enemy) Iron Shuriken H20 (Defeat Enemy) Energy Drop
I19 (Defeat Enemy) Bloom Festal J20 (Defeat Enemy) Concoction
K17 (Defeat Enemy) Vulnerary O17 (Defeat Enemy) Iron Axe
E16 (Defeat Enemy) Iron Sword H14 (Defeat Enemy) Arms Scroll
I15 (Defeat Enemy) Iron Lance D11 (Defeat Enemy) Iron Bow
I13 (Defeat Enemy) Concoction J14 (Defeat Enemy) Vulnerary
R09 (Defeat Enemy) Spirit Dust Q10 (Defeat Enemy) Iron Lance
R12 (Defeat Enemy) Speedwing R06 (Defeat Enemy) Seraph Robe
M02 (Defeat Enemy) Javelin N03 (Defeat Enemy) Heal
N04 (Defeat Enemy) Elixir O02 (Defeat Enemy) Secret Book
E05 (Defeat Enemy) Mjolnir E10 (Defeat Enemy) Hand Axe
M07 (Defeat Enemy) Heart Seal D06 (Defeat Enemy) Sun Festal
L08 (Defeat Enemy) Steel Lance D05 (Defeat Enemy) 5000 Gold

Though even with this, it's still a pain in the ass.  It's even worse that this is the map you get Team Takumi, so I don't get my favorite characters in this path until I beat this awful slog of a chapter.

This and the fucking Wind Tribe chapter in Conquest and Revelation.  It leaves so much up to chance, and it's like you are forced to keep everyone together just so that no one gets blown away from everyone else and gets bodied by a team of ninjas and spear fighters.  These are the two chapters I dread whenever I play Revelation.  Not even the ninja chapter in Revelation pulls this kind of garbage.

Edited by Ertrick36

The collapsing/rebuilding walls in Nah's prologue. If they gave you a warning of when a wall would collapse/rebuild, then the level would be annoying, but one that still had some strategy and planning to it, but NOPE. The walls collapse/rebuild without any foreshadowing whatsoever, leading to wounded units having their escape blocked, advancing units having their progress slowed, and overall making the map a frustrating slog.

I would say Yarnes chapter as a runner up, where the game hides the full might of each army before you start the level, making it possible to under-prepare for the map, but that's less of a gimmick and more of an example of fake difficulty.

fates' and awakening's skill system can die in a fire, I already hate reclassing and forcing me to use it is annoying, it also promotes overleveling, which I also take issue with.

55 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

The collapsing/rebuilding walls in Nah's prologue. If they gave you a warning of when a wall would collapse/rebuild, then the level would be annoying, but one that still had some strategy and planning to it, but NOPE. The walls collapse/rebuild without any foreshadowing whatsoever, leading to wounded units having their escape blocked, advancing units having their progress slowed, and overall making the map a frustrating slog.

Playing through that on Lunatic with a bunch of... maybe level 5 promoted units, I have enough choice words for that level to get me banned from the forum.

All I'll say is... the Risen boys in that south room can suck some fat growth rates.

58 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

fates' and awakening's skill system can die in a fire, I already hate reclassing and forcing me to use it is annoying, it also promotes overleveling, which I also take issue with.

You... don't have to use it though?

I mean, unless you're playing on Awakening Lunatic which is honestly just pure unbalanced BS in so many other ways.  Or maybe Apotheosis, but I've never played that one so I wouldn't know for sure.  But the fact that people are perfectly capable of doing PMU's in both of those games - even Conquest - I think proves that you can beat all of those games without reclassing, so really it's more a matter of how compelled you feel to min-max and optimize unit skill sets that determines how much you're gonna want to reclass.  And in that sense, I'd hardly say the game "forces" you to do that.

Idk if this is considered a gimmick but I dislike when reinforcements are able to act the same turn they appear.

The Ninja Cave and The Wind Tribe are the bane of my existence. The Ninja was a big roadblock and I couldn’t progress through it for like a week. The Wind Tribe I managed to do it my first try but it was so time consuming and it was very difficult keeping everyone alive.

I’ve only played the prologue and a bit of ch.1 of Genealogy but the item system is a mess along with personal money.

I also don’t know if this is considered gimmicky but maps that force you to go through narrow hallways suck. Night of Farewells is guilty of this made worse by the the bridges disappearing and appearing. Echoes in general has a lot of this too.

Guest Dreamyboi

I don't know if map types count as "gimmicks" in this case but I don't agree with Fog of War maps or Desert maps, they don't seem right for a strategy game because one robs the player of information required to strategize and forces them to turtle unless they already know the map and the other is usually a boring slog.

The desert maps in Echoes were especially bad.

The Wind Tribe in Conquest is pretty high up for me. There were maps I hated more than that one, but as a gimmick, I felt like it was just the worst. Genealogy's money system was also pretty bad though.

7 hours ago, Nobody said:

Geoffrey's Charge. No, a map with extremely high density of extremely weak enemies that you can either kill or keep alive is not good. It's just boring as fuck.

Worst map in the series.

Gotta agree with you here.  Worst map EVER.  It took me like, a week to get through it because I kept getting bored and putting the game down.  I was trying to keep as many enemies alive as possible, so the enemy phase took a million freakin' years.  

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Idk if this is considered a gimmick but I dislike when reinforcements are able to act the same turn they appear.

Omg, yes!  I recently played through Shadow Dragon and just started New Mystery.  Those reinforcement tile things scare the hell out of me.  :lol: 

There was a map in SD that pissed me off a lot because Abel was my main front-line guy, and one of the same-turn reinforcements had a Ridersbane. :dry:  (It felt like they never ended too!)

Desert map in general. Going through desert tiles is the most tedious, and usually it consist the whole level, I just can't wait to get out of it. Of course it doesn't affect the enemy much, because they'll always bring all types of units that are unaffected by the sand. Your mounted units are the fastest on other maps, but here they move only 1 tile per turn, and it's annoying. Other units move only 2 tiles, so it's not much better. If I don't train my mages and flying unit, the game is just going to punish me by throwing in a desert map. 

The chapter with vases that either heal you or half your health if you break them from conquest. I don't care if the order is pre-determined, I'd rather not look up a guide or determine the order by trial and error. I ended up not touching any of them at the start and using the dragon vein to just get rid of them. I'm also going to second others on the wind tribe chapter.

Enemy units that spawn out of nowhere at the start of enemy phase in awakening. Sure, they usually warn you but it would be nice to know at least where they spawn to get weaker units out of their range. The mila tree for example wouldn't be nearly as annoying without it.

The gathering of legendary weapons in Binding Blade that forced me to use a guide against my will. I wanted to play as blind as I could but I also wanted to reach the true ending in order to complete the game for real.

The RNG tower in Binding Blade.

Weather.

Kitsune.

Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride.

Mandatory waiting in Revelation.

I don't include ambush spawns as I see that less as a gimmick and more as a poor design choice.

10 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Gotta agree with you here.  Worst map EVER.  It took me like, a week to get through it because I kept getting bored and putting the game down.  I was trying to keep as many enemies alive as possible, so the enemy phase took a million freakin' years.  

I know I'm going off topic here, but you won't like playing Genealogy.

Anyway...

18 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Heal staves missing.

This is THE main thing that makes me dismiss Thracia as a bad game. Far as I'm concerned, it's inexcusable.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Weather.

Seconding this. Having everything slow to a crawl is just ugh.

Also, fog of war and desert. There are some desert maps that aren't total ass, but the worst by far are the ones in Genealogy generation 2 and Binding Blade.