Most/Least Likely to Return to Switch Smash Between Roy, Robin, and Corrin

Randoman

Who's The Most Likely to Least Likely to Make it into the Switch Smash between Roy, Robin, and Corrin?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Most Likely to Least Likely to Make it into the Switch Smash between Roy, Robin, and Corrin?

• Roy, Robin, Corrin
    • Roy, Corrin, Robin
    • Robin, Roy, Corrin
    • Robin, Corrin, Roy
    • Corrin, Roy, Robin
    • Corrin, Robin, Roy

I'm still on the enhanced port train, so I doubt any of them are being cut, if anything I would guess Roy, but I can see Lucina getting cut long before him.

TBH I feel that if they cut Roy they ought to cut Lucas as well, Roy just plays quite a bit differently than Marth

Also, with amiibo I kind of doubt they want to cut anyone just so they can sell us more $12.99 plastic figures

Edited by Captain Karnage

This is a tough question.. I do personally feel that Marth, Ike and Lucina are most likely going to be on the roster.

I'm under the impression this is more of a "sequel" to Sm4sh, and closer to the previous iteration than any of the ones before it. That said, I believe cuts are inevitable. In order for this series to progress, they're kind of necessary. I highly doubt we'll see a roster that contains the entirety of the previous one. 

There's a whole lot of factors at play. Since Roy and Corrin were already DLC, I can see them not getting priority for the base game roster, but at the same time, I don't know if cutting them and potentially offering them as DLC a second time in a row would necessarily be good for sales. Fans might not want to buy them again, especially Roy. Corrin is also still new enough to be the token "most recent FE Lord" spot. Dragons are also significant to the Fire Emblem lore, of which Corrin is one, and is currently the only one on the roster, while magic and fire are not entirely uncommon in movesets. Also, in terms of general popularity, at least with FE fans, I feel like it's something like Roy > fCorrin > mRobin > fRobin > mCorrin. 

It's really up in the air. Fire Emblem is the easiest series to cut from. My personal prediction is that we'll get Marth, Ike, Lucina and Corrin, with female Corrin being the "default" this time, and Roy potentially getting in but being lowest priority. 

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Except unused data in Brawl shows he was never meant to be cut in the first place. I don't have any developer insight but the general assumption seems to be that Roy and Mewtwo were cut due to time-constraints. Both of them were brought back by popular demand so i'd be really dumb to cut any of the DLC veterans, not just Roy.

I know that except they still excluded him due to said time-constraints and most likely because Ike was more of a priority to them at the time who played massively differently from Marth and Roy. Like I said, they already cut him out twice and depending on how different Smash Switch is compared to Smash 4 and how much development time they were given I wouldn't be surprised if they had to cut him a third time.

But really my honest opinion is if he is there at least his fans will be happy, if Roy is absent again I won't miss him. 

2 hours ago, dmurr said:

Corrin is also still new enough to be the token "most recent FE Lord" spot.

Except we had SoV, meaning it's possible they might even go so far as to swap one of the others out for Alm or Celica - I'd laugh so hard if they put Alm in, made him an Ike or Marth semi-clone, then said he was unique because he's left-handed.

The real question, of course, is not who shall be cut and who shall make their Smash Debut, but rather how 5mash will fit into the story!

On 3/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, Etheus said:

Fair enough. But when we're talking about an insanely popular character with a unique moveset and Smash franchise history.... well, it's pretty reasonable to assume that he's safe. 

He may very well be more popular from Smash than his actual games, so, yeah, he's probably coming back.

Roy/Robin/Corrin imo. I'm really thinking this game won't cut anyone but add those who are missing (hello Wolf and Ice Climbers!) 

But Roy is popular, was dlc so it would be dumb that he would be dlc again, so definitely in.

Corrin and Robin are unique so it would be stupid too. 

Edited by Metakirby

I choose Robin > Roy > Corrin

Robin has a really Unique Move set compared and makes a great representation of DS era and Awakeing

Roy came back from popular demand and is pretty much a Smash character like Captain Falcon

Corrin has a unique move set, but they were very unpopular for being a another Fire Emblem character and isn't well like in the FE community either.

I don't like cuts, but Sakurai did say that he felt that there were too many FE characters when adding Corrin. I wouldn't be surprised if cut some of them.

On 15 March 2018 at 12:09 AM, Etheus said:

Fair enough. But when we're talking about an insanely popular character with a unique moveset and Smash franchise history.... well, it's pretty reasonable to assume that he's safe. 

Unique move sets? Snake says hi. 3rd party issues? What 3rd party issues?

Franchise history? Jigglypuff was going to be cut in Brawl, which is why she doesn't appear in SSE alongside Wolf and Toon Link, and why she's unlocked so late. Ness was planned to be cut in Melee and replaced by Lucas, but Mother 3 was delayed so they kept him in.

My point is, and please don't think I'm venting at you because I'm not, it's not impossible for veterans to be cut, unique move sets or not.

Imo, I think it'll be Robin > Roy > Corrin.

Robin represents an actual FE mechanic, being the first customisable avatar that was released overseas as well as weapon durability.

Roy was cut twice, and was brought back due to popular demand. Will Sakurai risk cutting him again? I don't think so, I like to believe that he is a smart man.

Corrin was added as late DLC, obviously that means nothing, but considering he was only put in to advertise Fates, would his stay be justified? Who knows. I don't.

In the end, I'd love all three to come back, Roy especially because he's my secondary plus he received the Luigi treatment, but I know that a lot of people have complained about "muuuu too many FE reps", (did you know, I've seen silly people who have counted female Robin and female Corrin as separate characters just to say that FE has 8 reps. By that logic, so does Animal Crossing). Honestly, if you're going to cut a FE rep, cut Lucina, or at least make her a Marth costume.

1. Corrin - Most unique moveset, doesn't have a drawback gimmick like Robin.
  2. Robin - More unique than Yet Another Sword Lord, but has the weapon breaking gimmick.
  3. Roy - Yet Another Sword Lord, and one less distinct than Ike, though still more distinct than Lucina.

I personally think hardly anyone is getting cut this time around, but ordering them from least likely to get cut to most likely, I'd say:

Robin>Roy>Corrin

Robin is very unique and basically the main representative of 3DS FE, they won't tick people off by cutting Roy AGAIN, and Corrin is just kinda there and not too popular. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's safe to assume Corrin and Robin are safe because they are prominent in Fire Emblem Warriors. Everyone seems to be forgetting that fact, so might as well put it out there. Besides, Corrin and Robin were actually unique in terms of Smash Bros Fire Emblem characters. Even though he's popular af I can see Roy on the chopping block since he is a Marth clone and he hasn't been given much love after Smash 4. IDK, maybe he'll be DLC again. And all these idiots saying Corrin is not popular, I beg to differ. A female Corrin exists as well, and she has won many popularity polls on Heroes. She is also more used than the male version in Smash. No reason for her not to return. Yes, she did have a small playerbase, but note that Robin was even less used.

Roy seems the least likely for still being a bit of a Marth clone, and we already got Lucina for that. Robin and Corring bring something different to the plate, so they are likely to return