All these Spam bots

Hirotune

I've noticed, around the same time everyday, a good 2-4 spam bots just come in and start posting spam topics and I'm wondering..... Would there be anyway to stop these spam bots from posting? 

If not, i will diligently report each post to help out the mods.

8 hours ago, Grima the Fell Dragon said:

I've noticed, around the same time everyday, a good 2-4 spam bots just come in and start posting spam topics and I'm wondering..... Would there be anyway to stop these spam bots from posting? 

If not, i will diligently report each post to help out the mods.

Yes, please report them if you can. They are pretty obvious to identify, but sometimes we are busy and unable to check the forums.

7 hours ago, Kazuya said:

I'm pretty sure the moderators know. They seem to just spam General. I'm pretty sure an IP block could solve the problem. 

I'm afraid it's not that easy. This is also a problem with other forums as well.

Basically, whoever is sending the bots is using a variety of IPs. If we implemented wide range bans, a lot of actual members would be affected.

Last night they were in the Forum Games as well as the Awakening subforum, so it appears to no longer just be attacking General.

Still, if there's anything we forumgoers can do to help aside from simply reporting them...

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Yes, please report them if you can. They are pretty obvious to identify, but sometimes we are busy and unable to check the forums.

I'm afraid it's not that easy. This is also a problem with other forums as well.

Basically, whoever is sending the bots is using a variety of IPs. If we implemented wide range bans, a lot of actual members would be affected.

I didn't realize that they were on other forums, sorry Vince. 

Well, honestly, whoever is doing the bot stuff needs to grow up. Spam Bots are weak as all hell and sad. 

38 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Could new users require a set number of replies before they could post new topics?

Maybe, but what about the intros thread?

Not that there are that many people who post there...

Edited by Solvaij

14 minutes ago, Solvaij said:

Maybe, but what about the intros thread?

Not that there are that many people who post there...

Perhaps that could be the exception? Granted that would make the bots start spamming there instead of other parts, but still I'd say it's a reasonable tradeoff.

Well, bit awkward to see this right under some spam threads.

15 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Could new users require a set number of replies before they could post new topics?

It's not a bad idea, but bots might just get the minimum amount of posts in some thread and then spam somewhere else on the forum.

Though with the caliber of bots that spam here, I doubt that would be likely at first.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still trying to think of a way to combat the bots without inconveniencing too many members.

Personally, I would prefer not to impose a posting restriction, since I feel like it discourages posting. Although I do kind of like the idea of requesting members to post in the Introductions board first. Hopefully the bots don't figure that out though...

Also, just my two cents: I think these bots are mainly created to increase exposure. So it doesn't really matter if the forum members don't speak the language, so long as the links appear in search engines etc. Likewise, I can't know for sure, but I bet there are probably organisations out there automatically sending the bots to various places all over the Internet.

Unfortunately, we're just poor victims of unethical marketing : /

Anyway, time for me to return to the tactics room...

Edited by VincentASM

15 hours ago, Dayni said:

It's not a bad idea, but bots might just get the minimum amount of posts in some thread and then spam somewhere else on the forum.

All the spambot posts I've seen up to this point are new threads, not posts in an existing one (not including double posts due to the posting glitch).

Although I do kind of like the idea of requesting members to post in the Introductions board first. Hopefully the bots don't figure that out though...

@VincentASM As of this edit, there are a couple of spambot posted threads in the Introductions section, so it's clear that this won't stop the spambots.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

8 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

All the spambot posts I've seen up to this point are new threads, not posts in an existing one (not including double posts due to the posting glitch).

Like I said, that's what I'd assume would be the workaround if they could figure it out.

Perhaps instead, could there be a system implemented so that you can only make a new thread every hour or so? That way they'll only be able to make one spam post an hour, and by then the account should be taken down.

27 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Perhaps instead, could there be a system implemented so that you can only make a new thread every hour or so? That way they'll only be able to make one spam post an hour, and by then the account should be taken down.

I'm with Rex Glacies on his idea. I mean, it'd greatly minimize the spamming the bots do, very few SF members make multiple topics within one hour, and there isn't really a good reason as to why any member would need to make multiple threads within the time span of one hour (well, except for mods, which spam bots would have no way of becoming).

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

1 hour ago, Randoman said:

I'm with Rex Glacies on his idea. I mean, it'd greatly minimize the spamming the bots do, very few SF members make multiple topics within one hour, and there isn't really a good reason as to why any member would need to make multiple threads within the time span of one hour (well, except for mods, which spam bots would have no way of becoming).

I agree with you guys- seems like a practical solution that should minimize the spam bots while not affecting other users.

23 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

And now they're in English instead of Korean. Interesting...

They’re adapting!