What happened to Alm's Falchion?

Alm's Falchion is a separate Falchion from Marth's/Chrom's /Lucina's. Archanea's Falchion was passed down the family tree for thousands of years, but after the events of Echoes, we don't see the Valentina Falchion again. Where do you think it went?

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Nope. That's how Valentia became Valm.

Er, it was called Valm after Alm's death, and his decedents renamed the continent. But the Schism is responsible for the continent being not one unified country though - it's why it was split into Cho'sin, Valm, Virion's country, etc.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nope. That's how Valentia became Valm.

Oh right. You'd think that they would make sure to keep track of the one weapon that makes them capable of fighting god like dragon beings.

You wouldn't be the first to ask this

The simple explanation is that it's still lodged within Duma's head and serves as a pedestal so that he never awakens again. 'Course, while no definitive proof exists, Alm is never shown taking it back

Edited by Motendra

Personally, I think that Alm thought it was one of those "too powerful for one man to wield" kind of weapons (it is the strongest sword in the game, and similarly Chrom's Falchion was sealed long before the events of Awakening for the/a same/similar reason) and hid it away somewhere, only being used by "those worthy of wielding it" and "only in our greatest need" (The quotation marks are not sarcasm, by the way. They're just identifying tropes related to this kind of situation. I just wanted to make that clear).

That, and it would be foolish to be parading around with a god-slaying sword in a normal battle, becasuse even if the wielder is a one-man army, it's still very possible for them to be killed and/or for the weapon to be stolen during the battle. Or for an assassin to slay said wielder and steal the sword outside of combat.

I have a headcannon that Alm's last descendant was able to wield the Falchion when Grima attacked Valm (what I believe to be his first target, if the events of Thabes labyrinth are canon), and after years of him desroying the kingdom while Valms army foaught back, the Decendant and Grima entered a fierce one-on-one fight,. By the end, the descendant died (ending Alm's 1000-year dynasty), the kingdom of Valm was destroyed by Grima's invasion, and Falchion was shattered in the final attack, but Grima was weakened to the point that the Exalt's army could defeat him and Archanea's Falchion was enough to seal Grima for another 1000 years.

32 minutes ago, Motendra said:

You wouldn't be the first to ask this

The simple explanation is that it's still lodged within Duma's head and serves as a pedestal so that he never awakens again. 'Course, while no definitive proof exists, Alm is never shown taking it back

But in Echoes's post game, you can still use Falchion in thabe's labyrinth 

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

But in Echoes's post game, you can still use Falchion in thabe's labyrinth 

Act 6 is debatable in whether or not it's actually part of the story; leaning towards not. At best, it's a canon cameo. Meaning, that while Alm actually going to Archanea might not be canon, the contents within it are. At worst, just a post-game extra

37 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

That, and it would be foolish to be parading around with a god-slaying sword in a normal battle, becasuse even if the wielder is a one-man army, it's still very possible for them to be killed and/or for the weapon to be stolen during the battle. Or for an assassin to slay said wielder and steal the sword outside of combat.

I'm not too sure about that point. I'm pretty sure the Falchion works like the Royal sword where the user has to be royalty or be worthy of wielding it. Otherwise it becomes an extremely heavy sword. Imagine trying to smuggle that.

18 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I'm not too sure about that point. I'm pretty sure the Falchion works like the Royal sword where the user has to be royalty or be worthy of wielding it. Otherwise it becomes an extremely heavy sword. Imagine trying to smuggle that.

Then how did Gharnef carry the Falchion Marth wields, or for that matter, how did Desaix steal the royal sword in the first place? Did he have a whole horde of men carry the chest it was in?

1 hour ago, Mad-manakete said:

Then how did Gharnef carry the Falchion Marth wields, or for that matter, how did Desaix steal the royal sword in the first place? Did he have a whole horde of men carry the chest it was in?

I interpret that as like how Lucina said it in her A support with her sibling, if you are worthy, then the blade will work, if not, it won't even make a dent in the log 

As for the royal sword, no idea 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

Act 6 is debatable in whether or not it's actually part of the story; leaning towards not. At best, it's a canon cameo. Meaning, that while Alm actually going to Archanea might not be canon, the contents within it are. At worst, just a post-game extra

Thabes labyrinth is definitely canon, but I do agree that Alm and Celica going there is debatable (after all, they had a whole continent to fix and rule).

I personally believe that it happened in some fashion and Alm's falchion was used to seal away grima, but it's power was already weakened from fighting Duma so the sword was lost when Grima eventually resurfaced and caused the Schism, either by breaking or just loosing power.

And the tale of the Falchion was not as well know in Valentia compared to Archanea, so when Grima showed up no one really tried to get it.

It's definitely a plot hole in Awakening, but it surprised me that they never addressed that in Echoes, unless they wanted to imply that it's in Thabes.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Thabes labyrinth is definitely canon, but I do agree that Alm and Celica going there is debatable (after all, they had a whole continent to fix and rule).

I personally believe that it happened in some fashion and Alm's falchion was used to seal away grima, but it's power was already weakened from fighting Duma so the sword was lost when Grima eventually resurfaced and caused the Schism, either by breaking or just loosing power.

And the tale of the Falchion was not as well know in Valentia compared to Archanea, so when Grima showed up no one really tried to get it.

It's definitely a plot hole in Awakening, but it surprised me that they never addressed that in Echoes, unless they wanted to imply that it's in Thabes.

But of course, I too think the labyrinth is Canon. I just see the whole thing just like Sora fighting Lingering Will in KHII: the being in question is there without a doubt, but the actual event/circumstances that allows the scenario --the two actually meeting-- isn't.

But you're free to think what you like

3 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

Magic. I guess it's the same logic applies that an elevator can move Thor's hammer but a person can't . 

4 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

The wielder probably would have to be royalty in order to wield it, I agree with you on that. However, Desaix was able to smuggle it out of Zofia castle during his escape back to his own castle, so it's not impossible for it to be stolen. It'd be impractical to use since the weight would make it unwieldy, and unlike other heavy weapons, said weight would not do extra damage, but it's still possible for it to be taken after a fight is over as spoils of war, or it could be stolen by a thief (or a group of thieves) with enough con who can handle carrying that kind of weight.

As for how canon Thabes Labyrinth is, I do think that Alm and Celica went to Archanea and they did seal Grima, but it was years after the events of Gaiden/SoV, when the land was calm, and they brought a slightly different army. What's seen in-game is simply for the sake of gameplay, and maybe in-universe "embellishment" (think about how in the Hobbit movies, some of the more over-the-top moments could be explained as Bilbo trying to make the story more exciting than what probably actually happened).

10 hours ago, Marty said:

Actually, Lucina in Fire Emblem Heroes did talked to Alm when she mentioned about Alm's Falchion along with Lucina mention Alm as the other Hero-King during at in the second Tempest Trial that have Celica as the boss. I kinda wondered what happened to Alm's Falchion as well since Walhart can't use Chrom's nor Lucina's Falchion. Speaking of which, I kinda wondered how Walhart doesn't pull out an another Falchion when he knows about Grima is going to be coming?

6 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Actually, Lucina in Fire Emblem Heroes did talked to Alm when she mentioned about Alm's Falchion along with Lucina mention Alm as the other Hero-King during at in the second Tempest Trial that have Celica as the boss. I kinda wondered what happened to Alm's Falchion as well since Walhart can't use Chrom's nor Lucina's Falchion. Speaking of which, I kinda wondered how Walhart doesn't pull out an another Falchion when he knows about Grima is going to be coming?

probably cause he doesn't want to rely on a gods power. Half of his. Conquest is more or less a big fuck you to the gods. 

Also is heroes even canon? I considered it non canon.

8 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

probably cause he doesn't want to rely on a gods power. Half of his. Conquest is more or less a big fuck you to the gods. 

Also is heroes even canon? I considered it non canon.

That depends. Everything that happens in Heroes isn't canon (like Roy and Lilina meeting young Elliot and Hector in tempest trials/paralogue) but we can take the interactions themselves as canon regarding the characters personality and how they would act around each other. 

At least that's how I see it.

Also, Walhart not being able to equip Chrom or Lucina's falchion doesn't mean anything. They can't wear each others weapon either, plus Lucina's says Marth's Falchion even after chapter 15, so it's just a gameplay thingy.

For all we know, Walhart is a valid descendent of Alm who could wield the Falchion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've long thought that in a game full of wasted potential, Walhart not wielding Alm's Falchion was the biggest missed oppertunity. It would be really easy to implement, it just means making another weapon, and it would be really frigging cool. It would be a solid reference to Gaiden that works, unlike most of the other ones they attempted, and it would really drive home the theme they're going for between Chrom and Walhart.

• 4 weeks later...

Walhart's whole storyline felt rushed and really, there was nothing there that indicated the story of Gaiden, unlike with the whole schtick if Lucina modeling herself after Marth and Chrom and her wielding the Falchion if Archanea.

Seeing it now, Valm's missing Falchion feels like it may have been one of those details IS wanted to add to Awakening that didn't stick from them throwing everything they could at the game. There is a lot of background they'd need to go through to explain Walhart being decendant of a second Hero-King, who said Hero-King was verses Marth, why Walhart was using his power for conquest as "the strong need to rule the weak" (which is very Rigel-like in retrospect), more of Virion's role and failings, etc, etc. So yeah, a huge amount of missed potential. That could be a game in itself.

12 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Walhart's whole storyline felt rushed and really, there was nothing there that indicated the story of Gaiden, unlike with the whole schtick if Lucina modeling herself after Marth and Chrom and her wielding the Falchion if Archanea.

Seeing it now, Valm's missing Falchion feels like it may have been one of those details IS wanted to add to Awakening that didn't stick from them throwing everything they could at the game. There is a lot of background they'd need to go through to explain Walhart being decendant of a second Hero-King, who said Hero-King was verses Marth, why Walhart was using his power for conquest as "the strong need to rule the weak" (which is very Rigel-like in retrospect), more of Virion's role and failings, etc, etc. So yeah, a huge amount of missed potential. That could be a game in itself.

The thing is, while Valm's arc is a call back to gaiden, Walhart isn't Alm's descendant, and Falchion can't be wielded by someone without divine dragon blood.