What happened to Alm's Falchion?

2 hours ago, Sbuscoz said:

The thing is, while Valm's arc is a call back to gaiden, Walhart isn't Alm's descendant, and Falchion can't be wielded by someone without divine dragon blood.

Okay, but, the issue I'm saying is while I could glean some info from FE1 based on stuff in Awakening, I couldn't with Gaiden. They had options to double-down on the Gaiden stuff, too, but other than the name "Valm," there really wasn't anything there. 

I really think stuff like Alm's Falchion being missing was more the devs just not taking or having the time to really use the Gaiden stuff during Awakening's nutty production. Gaiden got less respect. If Walhart's explicitly not of Valm's bloodline, then the arc could've been seeking out someone who was, or on why Walhart wants to reunify back to Valentia, or even a hint of the old gods, but, nothing. 

Note, Awakening was my first FE. 

Edited by Altrosa

3 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Okay, but, the issue I'm saying is while I could glean some info from FE1 based on stuff in Awakening, I couldn't with Gaiden. They had options to double-down on the Gaiden stuff, too, but other than the name "Valm," there really wasn't anything there. 

I really think stuff like Alm's Falchion being missing was more the devs just not taking or having the time to really use the Gaiden stuff during Awakening's nutty production. Gaiden got less respect.

Note, Awakening was my first FE. 

I don't think Archanea got a massive amount of respect either. It doesn't really take anything from it aside from some irrelevant surface stuff. Absolutely nothing would be lost from Awakening if it was set on a different pair of continents that we hadn't seen already.

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't think Archanea got a massive amount of respect either. It doesn't really take anything from it aside from some irrelevant surface stuff. Absolutely nothing would be lost from Awakening if it was set on a different pair of continents that we hadn't seen already.

I added a bit to post in edit, eep, but, that's exactly the kind of stuff Valm lacked. Shoot, even Cherche, a Valmese character, is instead a callback to Minerva, a Wyvern Ryder of FE1, instead of being a call back to basically anyone in FE2. Stuff like that.

They could've explained it in one of tge DLC's, too.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 11:21 AM, Mad-manakete said:

Then how did Gharnef carry the Falchion Marth wields, or for that matter, how did Desaix steal the royal sword in the first place? Did he have a whole horde of men carry the chest it was in?

Marths falchion has never been shown to be heavy for everyone else, also Desaix never carried the chest there, the game says that it was a gift from the royal family, so its just ben there all this time.

13 hours ago, Robin_Of_Ylisse said:

Marths falchion has never been shown to be heavy for everyone else, also Desaix never carried the chest there, the game says that it was a gift from the royal family, so its just ben there all this time.

While Marth's Falchion I can easy enough give you, my question on the Royal Sword stands. There is a generic female cavalier in Zofia Castle's treasure room when you complete the battle with Desaix's imposter (but before Alm meets Celica on the balcony) who says;
"That mongrel Desaix stole the royal sword when he turned tail and ran. The Rigelian imperial household gave us that sword as a sign of friendship. I don’t know what use Desaix has for it. Oh, it’s a powerful sword, and no lie… but only in the hands of the right wielder. And that wielder isn’t him!"

The fact she claims he stole it when he fled implicates it was originally in Zofia Castle's treasure room as opposed to Desaix's fortress. Which leaves the questions of how it was transported. Or she had no idea where it actually was stored.

6 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

While Marth's Falchion I can easy enough give you, my question on the Royal Sword stands. There is a generic female cavalier in Zofia Castle's treasure room when you complete the battle with Desaix's imposter (but before Alm meets Celica on the balcony) who says;
"That mongrel Desaix stole the royal sword when he turned tail and ran. The Rigelian imperial household gave us that sword as a sign of friendship. I don’t know what use Desaix has for it. Oh, it’s a powerful sword, and no lie… but only in the hands of the right wielder. And that wielder isn’t him!"

The fact she claims he stole it when he fled implicates it was originally in Zofia Castle's treasure room as opposed to Desaix's fortress. Which leaves the questions of how it was transported. Or she had no idea where it actually was stored.

Ah, I guess I didn't catch that, now I'm curious on this matter.

7 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

While the Royal Sword can only be wielded by a person with royal blood, there's nothing that says that it can't be transported by anyone else. Tobin found the sword extremely heavy, but he could still pick it up. Most likely, the sword was part of the treasury in Zofia Castle, and Desaix though it was worth stealing when he turned tail and ran. He probably had some servants used to carrying heavy weights transport the thing.

14 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

You know, she raises a good point. What on earth did Desaix think he could do with a sword nobody could use?

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

You know, she raises a good point. What on earth did Desaix think he could do with a sword nobody could use?

Considering the sword was a gift from Rigel during a time of peace, Desaix probably thought that giving it back might give him some leeway or even favor with Rigel. Especially since he's a Zofian noble, and the Deliverance just declared war on the Empire, so he probably want's out on the growing conflict until it boils over, and a specific gift or two might convince the Rigelian army to ignore him.

9 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Considering the sword was a gift from Rigel during a time of peace, Desaix probably thought that giving it back might give him some leeway or even favor with Rigel. Especially since he's a Zofian noble, and the Deliverance just declared war on the Empire, so he probably want's out on the growing conflict until it boils over, and a specific gift or two might convince the Rigelian army to ignore him.

Giving someone something they gave you earlier is a pretty crappy gift. Though, I suppose, Desaix is a pretty crappy person.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:49 AM, Hawkwing said:

On 5/29/2018 at 11:10 AM, Jotari said:

Giving someone something they gave you earlier is a pretty crappy gift. Though, I suppose, Desaix is a pretty crappy person.

My ideas for it, following on crappy gift to Rigel is:
* Giving it to Berkut (which is a lot like giving it to Rigel, but the difference is Berkut was obviously not involved in the gift giving, and that leaves the hole of why he didn't do it earlier)
* Using it as a paperweight (because why not)
*Selling it to some merchant that has no idea about it's flaws.
*Setting it up as a rigged carnival style attraction where people put down money to attempt to prove themself able of wielding it (a sucker bet, as no one will be)
*Taking it out of spite
*Taking it on the off chance someone who can wield it exists and will use it to oppose him
*Taking it to use to torture/execute prisoners by leaving it on their chest so they can't get up and just kind of die slowly of dehydration/starvation
*He's deluded enough to think his brief time as an usurper entitles him to wield it
Or, perhaps, most likely
*He just plain did not think it through

12 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

My ideas for it, following on crappy gift to Rigel is:
* Giving it to Berkut (which is a lot like giving it to Rigel, but the difference is Berkut was obviously not involved in the gift giving, and that leaves the hole of why he didn't do it earlier)
* Using it as a paperweight (because why not)
*Selling it to some merchant that has no idea about it's flaws.
*Setting it up as a rigged carnival style attraction where people put down money to attempt to prove themself able of wielding it (a sucker bet, as no one will be)
*Taking it out of spite
*Taking it on the off chance someone who can wield it exists and will use it to oppose him
*Taking it to use to torture/execute prisoners by leaving it on their chest so they can't get up and just kind of die slowly of dehydration/starvation
*He's deluded enough to think his brief time as an usurper entitles him to wield it
Or, perhaps, most likely
*He just plain did not think it through

I like this one, and also like the idea that he could potentially be right.

30 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I like this one, and also like the idea that he could potentially be right.

I had fun coming up with that list, and threw some ridiculous ideas out, but I'll admit that one was surprisingly strong on it's own. It even fits with the female cavalier's dialogue questioning what possible use he could have for it.

That said, the idea that he had it brought along without much thought into the matter fits due to the idea of him panicking when things went pear-shaped at the castle. The idea of taking it to prevent anyone capable of using it acquiring it and opposing him is, of course a meta-reference to the fact it's what he inevitably did by doing so.

Personally, I like the idea that it was going to be used to execute Mathilda by weighing her down. Hence an incredibly slow death with no direct harm... explaining why the execution that you're told will "happen soon" takes forever to happen even if you screw around with sidequests.

1 hour ago, Mad-manakete said:

33 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Personally, I like the idea that it was going to be used to execute Mathilda by weighing her down. Hence an incredibly slow death with no direct harm... explaining why the execution that you're told will "happen soon" takes forever to happen even if you screw around with sidequests.

Sorry to ruin your fun, but the Royal Sword magical weight means that it's impractical to wield in an actual fight (especially as that extra weight isn't doing any extra damage, unlike other heavy weaponry). It doesn't mean that it's impossible to pick up and carry. Chances are, it would be very likely for the prisoner, if they were strong and/or determined enough, to lift the thing off their chest if Desaix attempted to kill them in that fashion.

Although this does raise the meaningless question if you would gain any muscles from bench-pressing or weightlifting the Royal Sword as a non-royal.

20 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Sorry to ruin your fun, but the Royal Sword magical weight means that it's impractical to wield in an actual fight (especially as that extra weight isn't doing any extra damage, unlike other heavy weaponry). It doesn't mean that it's impossible to pick up and carry. Chances are, it would be very likely for the prisoner, if they were strong and/or determined enough, to lift the thing off their chest if Desaix attempted to kill them in that fashion.

Although this does raise the meaningless question if you would gain any muscles from bench-pressing or weightlifting the Royal Sword as a non-royal.

But there's the rub. If they were prisoners, I can't imagine Desaix feeding prisoners adequate amounts of food to maintain their strength. Especially with Zofia suffering famine from drought, which we know to be the case. The weight of the sword would merely be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Answering the main question here. If we take some liberties from awakening, such as the falchion only being able to seal grima for 1000 years or so with a goddess/divine dragon blessing, my headcanon is Thabes Labyrinth happened, and Alm used the Falchion on Grima, who is stated to vanish at that point (I still say the body is there but the game devs didn't program a body to remain) and that used the last of Mila's blessing on the falchion (of which I'm guessing the blessing at full power can slay a god such as Duma, but otherwise can only put them to sleep, no idea on why Naga can't do that or another theory, that blessing to kill a god is very limited and requires all of a gods lifeforce to perform) anyways Alm used the Falchion to defeat Grima and possibly sealed him in it to his lack of knowledge, him and Celica then unite Valentia or have already united it (another idea is they went to archanaea only after a few years had passed in order to unite Valentia and mainly brought their royal knights and the mercenaries once they were hired for the job since they were building their own kingdom) which lasts for about 1000 years before Grima reawakens, destroys the Falchion, and terrorizes Valentia to the point it is no longer united and starts to terrorize Archanaea before the first Exalt uses the Falchion and Naga's blessing to seal Grima away for 1000 years, then awakening happens.