who is the best unit

GlitchWarrior

This is just something I came up with to see what answers would come. Personally, I just wanted to start a flame war, but, y'know.

Comment below whoever you think is the best unit in the series! I think it's Seth (Sacred Stones).

8 hours ago, GlitchGabe said:

Personally, I just wanted to start a flame war, but, y'know.

Why would you say this

To answer the question: Gameplaywise, FE8!Seth blows almost everything else out of the water.  The only competition I can think of is Sigurd and FE9!Titania.

I'm just gonna be that a-hole and point out that solo'ing one of the easiest games in the franchise isn't much of an accomplishment or worth bragging about. Solo Binding Blade, Conquest or Shadow Dragon, then we can talk about "best units".

As far as I'm concerned, the "best unit" moniker comes down to personal preference, as does everything "best" and everything "worst" in every discussion ever. There is no objective truth to be found here. If you ask me, SethSeth, Ryoma and Camilla, who are currently the three characters most associated with "best units EVAR!" are criminally overrated. Ask other people, and they'd bash my head in if they knew where I lived (probably).

With that being said, my best unit would have to be the one I found being the most crucial to my playthroughs than all the others across all games I've played, which is really hard to pin down. I guess I'll go with Shiida in Shadow Dragon, since most enemies in that game are mounted / armoured and her Wing Spear can one-shot those pretty easily, especially if you forge the thing.

Edited by DragonFlames

• 2 weeks later...

Rutger

Gets HM boosted base stats, gets a 30% crit bonus on promotion, and can support triangle with 2 other top tier units (Dieck and Clarine) to boost his high crit and evade even higher!

Not going on the record to say he is the absolute best, but he's pretty darn good in a game that can destroy you if you don't know what you're doing.

Aren't Wolf and Sedgar renowned for being monsters in SD?

I can't say objectively who is the best, since I never really care and just use my favourites, but I just remember everyone talking about them for a time. 

Orsin.

Units like Seth eventually start to taper off and a number if units can catch up to them pretty easily, and they don't have much beyond raw stats to back them up. Similarly, units like Wolf, Sedgar, Ryoma, etc. aren't available until a certain point. And units like Rutger and Robin take a bit to get going(Rutger doesn't shine until he gets the +30 cut at promotion).

Orsin dominates Thracia 776 from front to back. From chapter 1, he doubles everything(Meaning he also CRITS EVERYTHING, thanks to Wrath being stupidly powerful in T776), he has very good growths that keep him above most units statistically throughout the entire game, and he has, depending on who you ask, downright the best Prf weapon in the series(It's essentially a 1-2 range Killer Handaxe with higher might and accuracy than a Handaxe). Anything that doesn't die immediately will absolutely die on Orsin's second hit. 

The only time Orsin isn't uncontested as the best unit in the game is between chapters 4-7 when he is separated from the party. But chapters 1-3 and 8-Final? Orsin's undisputidely the king of the playground. He's a combine harvester taken human form, absolutely obliterating everything in front of him. 

Edited by Slumber

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

he doubles everything(Meaning he also CRITS EVERYTHING, thanks to Wrath being stupidly powerful in T776)

The crit on his 2nd attack is unrelated to his Wrath skill, though. ;)

47 minutes ago, ping said:

The crit on his 2nd attack is unrelated to his Wrath skill, though. ;)

Sort of. It overrides his PCC in most cases.  

Either way, Orsin's a crit throwing machine. 

Edited by Slumber

10 hours ago, Slumber said:

Orsin.

Units like Seth eventually start to taper off and a number if units can catch up to them pretty easily, and they don't have much beyond raw stats to back them up. Similarly, units like Wolf, Sedgar, Ryoma, etc. aren't available until a certain point. And units like Rutger and Robin take a bit to get going(Rutger doesn't shine until he gets the +30 cut at promotion).

Orsin dominates Thracia 776 from front to back. From chapter 1, he doubles everything(Meaning he also CRITS EVERYTHING, thanks to Wrath being stupidly powerful in T776), he has very good growths that keep him above most units statistically throughout the entire game, and he has, depending on who you ask, downright the best Prf weapon in the series(It's essentially a 1-2 range Killer Handaxe with higher might and accuracy than a Handaxe). Anything that doesn't die immediately will absolutely die on Orsin's second hit. 

The only time Orsin isn't uncontested as the best unit in the game is between chapters 4-7 when he is separated from the party. But chapters 1-3 and 8-Final? Orsin's undisputidely the king of the playground. He's a combine harvester taken human form, absolutely obliterating everything in front of him. 

All of this is true, but I contest it on the basis that killing things isn't all that important in Thracia. Most units can do it. Finn has just as much avilability as Orsin and his Brave Lance can accomplish the same thing most of the time and with a higher capture chance. There's also Asvel and his Grafcalibur. Enemy stats are generally pretty low throughout the game, with their formations, stave users, weapons and ballistas being where the real threat comes from. With that given, I'd probably trade in Orsin for another A Rank Staff user.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

All of this is true, but I contest it on the basis that killing things isn't all that important in Thracia. Most units can do it. Finn has just as much avilability as Orsin and his Brave Lance can accomplish the same thing most of the time and with a higher capture chance. There's also Asvel and his Grafcalibur. Enemy stats are generally pretty low throughout the game, with their formations, stave users, weapons and ballistas being where the real threat comes from. With that given, I'd probably trade in Orsin for another A Rank Staff user.

Finn's at greater risk because

A: He loses the Brave Lance on indoor maps

B: He has lower stats and movement than Orsin when unmounted, and Thracia just in general isn't kind to mounted units that aren't Free/Forest Knights

C: He'll burn through the Brave Lance much faster than Orsin will burn through the Pugi, because it's not as reliable as a killing weapon and it has lower uses(And Orsin can get another Pugi, Finn just gets his one Brave Lance)

D: His long term usefulness falls off in comparison because his growths aren't nearly as good

E: Finn's personal skill is only good for survivability to a certain point, and nothing else

F: Finn's BLD sucks and he's not capturing anything important, even with the Brave Lance

Finn's a good unit, but he's not Orsin good. Finn has a lot of drawbacks that Orsin simply doesn't have to worry about, and Orsin's strengths are stronger. The one thing he has going for him that Orsin doesn't is that Finn is a better rescue bot purely because of Canto. Finn, unfortunately, isn't around during the chunk of game where this would come in most handy. 

Asvel I've gone over a lot, but he's incredibly frail, and he's one of the worst Sages once Grafcalibur is gone. Orsin is elevated by the Pugi(Which again, will last longer and Orsin can get another), but isn't reliant on it. Asvel is much more reliant on Grafcalibur.

Also, enemy stats aren't super high, but people REALLY underestimate how threatening units can be, especially with how many the game throws at you, and how deceptively high low hit rates actually are from enemies. If you can't take a few hits, you can get into a lot of trouble very quickly. Asvel will get completely overwhelmed in ways Orsin won't, and a single unlucky hit(Of which you will have many. This is Thracia we're talking about) will leave Asvel in a bad place. Two will likely leave him dead or captured. 

And you're right, killing enemies isn't the most important thing. Completing objectives is. Thracia is a much more objective focused game(As is every FE that isn't 1-4 and Awakening), and keeping units alive while completing objectives is priority #1. However, every single objective in this game can be completed much faster and more efficiently with a unit that can take hits and decimate the enemy army. Orsin is absolutely the best at that. 

You can easily beat T776 without Orsin. You can easily beat any FE without any of the units mentioned in this thread. Seth? So what, Sacred Stones is possibly the easiest FE in the series and the game tosses 8/10 units at you like they're on sale. Robin? Again, Awakening is up there in terms is of easiness and pretty much every unit can be a juggernaut with little effort. Ryoma in Birthright? You see where I'm going with this. 

Orsin isn't necessary and Thracia is filled with viable characters, but he at least makes a tough game easier and stands pretty clearly above the rest from minute 1 to endgame. 

Edited by Slumber

Lewyn!Arthur my dude.

He combines the two most powerful things in FE4: Forseti and a mount. 

He also joins in the first chapter of gen 2 and has ridiculous growths due to his holy blood in addition to his already stupid stat bonuses from the Forseti tome, which he can of course use at base.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

Finn's at greater risk because

A: He loses the Brave Lance on indoor maps

B: He has lower stats and movement than Orsin when unmounted, and Thracia just in general isn't kind to mounted units that aren't Free/Forest Knights

C: He'll burn through the Brave Lance much faster than Orsin will burn through the Pugi, because it's not as reliable as a killing weapon and it has lower uses(And Orsin can get another Pugi, Finn just gets his one Brave Lance)

D: His long term usefulness falls off in comparison because his growths aren't nearly as good

E: Finn's personal skill is only good for survivability to a certain point, and nothing else

F: Finn's BLD sucks and he's not capturing anything important, even with the Brave Lance

Finn's a good unit, but he's not Orsin good. Finn has a lot of drawbacks that Orsin simply doesn't have to worry about, and Orsin's strengths are stronger. The one thing he has going for him that Orsin doesn't is that Finn is a better rescue bot purely because of Canto. Finn, unfortunately, isn't around during the chunk of game where this would come in most handy. 

Asvel I've gone over a lot, but he's incredibly frail, and he's one of the worst Sages once Grafcalibur is gone. Orsin is elevated by the Pugi(Which again, will last longer and Orsin can get another), but isn't reliant on it. Asvel is much more reliant on Grafcalibur.

Also, enemy stats aren't super high, but people REALLY underestimate how threatening units can be, especially with how many the game throws at you, and how deceptively high low hit rates actually are from enemies. If you can't take a few hits, you can get into a lot of trouble very quickly. Asvel will get completely overwhelmed in ways Orsin won't, and a single unlucky hit(Of which you will have many. This is Thracia we're talking about) will leave Asvel in a bad place. Two will likely leave him dead or captured. 

And you're right, killing enemies isn't the most important thing. Completing objectives is. Thracia is a much more objective focused game(As is every FE that isn't 1-4 and Awakening), and keeping units alive while completing objectives is priority #1. However, every single objective in this game can be completed much faster and more efficiently with a unit that can take hits and decimate the enemy army. Orsin is absolutely the best at that. 

You can easily beat T776 without Orsin. You can easily beat any FE without any of the units mentioned in this thread. Seth? So what, Sacred Stones is possibly the easiest FE in the series and the game tosses 8/10 units at you like they're on sale. Robin? Again, Awakening is up there in terms is of easiness and pretty much every unit can be a juggernaut with little effort. Ryoma in Birthright? You see where I'm going with this. 

Orsin isn't necessary and Thracia is filled with viable characters, but he at least makes a tough game easier and stands pretty clearly above the rest from minute 1 to endgame. 

Oh I wasn't arguing that Finn or Asvel are better than Orsin. I think Pugi Orsin is unquesitonably better. My point is that his niche is one that's not exclusive to him in a game where, unlike most of the series, it's not the most important factor. Put it this way, would you rather play through the game without Orsin or Safy?

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Oh I wasn't arguing that Finn or Asvel are better than Orsin. I think Pugi Orisn is unquesitonably better. My point is that his niche is one that's not exclusive to him in a game where, unlike most of the series, it's not the most important factor.

Again, I'd say it's pretty important in FE5. Certainly not less important than in a lot of other games, aside from the games that are entirely "kill a anything/everything from point A to point B". Thinning enemy armies in Defend chapters helps a lot, clearing a path on Escape chapters helps a lot, being able to take out bosses with insane throne bonuses safely helps a lot. Orsin does this all better than anyone else by a wide margin. 

And between Safy and Orsin... In the long run, I'd rather be without Safy. The thing with Safy is, once her Repair staff runs out, there's a small army of staffers who can replace her. Anyone with a high enough staff rank, which is going to be most primary staff units, is going to be roughly as effective as Safy. 

Nobody can really do what Orsin can. Mareeta might come close, but she joins in the mid-game, unpromoted and low leveled, without Elite. Leveling isn't much of an issue in FE5, but she'll require a bit of babying and investment to get her up to speed. Galzus and Ced might also count, but those are your two Gotohs for the game, and you don't get them until the last 3 chapters. 

Edited by Slumber

40 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Again, I'd say it's pretty important in FE5. Certainly not less important than in a lot of other games, aside from the games that are entirely "kill a anything/everything from point A to point B". Thinning enemy armies in Defend chapters helps a lot, clearing a path on Escape chapters helps a lot, being able to take out bosses with insane throne bonuses safely helps a lot. Orsin does this all better than anyone else by a wide margin. 

And between Safy and Orsin... In the long run, I'd rather be without Safy. The thing with Safy is, once her Repair staff runs out, there's a small army of staffers who can replace her. Anyone with a high enough staff rank, which is going to be most primary staff units, is going to be roughly as effective as Safy. 

Nobody can really do what Orsin can. Mareeta might come close, but she joins in the mid-game, unpromoted and low leveled, without Elite. Leveling isn't much of an issue in FE5, but she'll require a bit of babying and investment to get her up to speed. Galzus and Ced might also count, but those are your two Gotohs for the game, and you don't get them until the last 3 chapters. 

There's not that many stave users in Thracia, at least ones that don't require investment. Most of the additional staff users are mages that only get them on promotion and start at rank D. Her only real competition for high rank stave users are Sleuf, Linoan and Sara (and in Thracia, you want high rank staves users because those C+ rank staves are good, and they also give a lot of fatigue, so you also want multiple high rank stave users) and they're all mid game additions when Safy will undoubtely have a foot ahead when it comes to staff rank (Sleuf is also route exclusive I believe). Oh yeah, there's Salem too who starts at C staves and is probably actually the best staff bot in the game if you're willing to grind his rank, as he's probably going to max out magic (at least, my one did).

Or to put it all another way, due to early avilability and good starting rank, Safy will probably always be the best staff user unless you're ignoring her (or training Salem). And in Thracia, I prioritze staff users over boss killers. Orsin will always be the best at his job (until Sety arrives anyway), but with just a bit of scroll use and effort, most of the cast will be able to do what he does reasonably well too.

Plus, just think about it, if there was no Safy, you'd be stuck with only Nana for healing throughout half the game. That'd really suck.

Edited by Jotari

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that Haar in Radiant Dawn was ridiculously overpowered. 

There are a lot of OP units in that game but Haar is just made more available, from what I recall. 

Sigurd, by a mile.  Trivializes the half of the game where he exists, and won't be slowed down until the end (and even that's debatable).

Plus, he's the guy that seizes, so running ahead and murdering stuff is what he wants to do.

13 hours ago, eclipse said:

Sigurd, by a mile.  Trivializes the half of the game where he exists, and won't be slowed down until the end (and even that's debatable).

Plus, he's the guy that seizes, so running ahead and murdering stuff is what he wants to do.

I'd agree.  Sigurd starts a god, and ends a god.  He is the lord needed to capture/seize, but unlike other lords which usually start as mere foot soilders, he starts on a mount.  Mounted units have canto in FE4 which is another great advantage. Great stats, the powerful holy blood bonuses, oh and if that wasn't enough he gets a silver sword handed to him at the end of the very first chapter (Prologue).  He has pursuit and good speed, so he doubles near everything in a game where doubling is actually special.  No need to mention Tyrfing.  Oh and leadership stars are a thing in FE4 too, meaning he boosts all the units around him as well.  

Edited by Lewyn

On 3/28/2018 at 8:03 PM, Jotari said:

There's not that many stave users in Thracia, at least ones that don't require investment. Most of the additional staff users are mages that only get them on promotion and start at rank D. Her only real competition for high rank stave users are Sleuf, Linoan and Sara (and in Thracia, you want high rank staves users because those C+ rank staves are good, and they also give a lot of fatigue, so you also want multiple high rank stave users) and they're all mid game additions when Safy will undoubtely have a foot ahead when it comes to staff rank (Sleuf is also route exclusive I believe). Oh yeah, there's Salem too who starts at C staves and is probably actually the best staff bot in the game if you're willing to grind his rank, as he's probably going to max out magic (at least, my one did).

Or to put it all another way, due to early avilability and good starting rank, Safy will probably always be the best staff user unless you're ignoring her (or training Salem). And in Thracia, I prioritze staff users over boss killers. Orsin will always be the best at his job (until Sety arrives anyway), but with just a bit of scroll use and effort, most of the cast will be able to do what he does reasonably well too.

Plus, just think about it, if there was no Safy, you'd be stuck with only Nana for healing throughout half the game. That'd really suck.

Here's the thing though; There's really not much you can do with Safy beyond repair and Magic Up, which admittedly can be very good at times. The one thing you need her C rank for is Physic. As nice as Physic is... This is a game where healing items are plentiful, you can steal them by the dozen, and they heal all HP. Nanna's not a great healer, but she can generally hang on the frontline while Safy can't. She might not be able to heal at a distance, but she can hang out up front and heal, which isn't that much of a step down. The only time where it is is when a unit is so far out(Say... Orsin) that even a frontline healer won't help and you have no healing items, and in that kind of case, that's your own fuck up, and not really one you want/need Safy for to fix.

By mid-game when you really do want at least a C rank staffer, Salem shows up and can fill in for Safy for everything except some Rescue strats(And supposing Safy hasn't promoted, he'll also be frontline ready, too). Which are fine, but a little too niche to be like "Oh yeah, can't live without Safy".

And by the time staves reach height effectiveness and Warps start popping up, Sleuf/Cyas aren't that far away, and Sara practically begs you to use her to get her up to speed.

So again, back to the point, there are generally units who can staff as good as Safy and it isn't spaced out too crazily. Nobody outside of maybe Sety or Galzus can kill stuff as good as Orsin. From chapter 1 til Sety shows up, Orsin is basically unrivaled.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Here's the thing though; There's really not much you can do with Safy beyond repair and Magic Up, which admittedly can be very good at times. The one thing you need her C rank for is Physic. As nice as Physic is... This is a game where healing items are plentiful, you can steal them by the dozen, and they heal all HP. Nanna's not a great healer, but she can generally hang on the frontline while Safy can't. She might not be able to heal at a distance, but she can hang out up front and heal, which isn't that much of a step down. The only time where it is is when a unit is so far out(Say... Orsin) that even a frontline healer won't help and you have no healing items, and in that kind of case, that's your own fuck up, and not really one you want/need Safy for to fix.

By mid-game when you really do want at least a C rank staffer, Salem shows up and can fill in for Safy for everything except some Rescue strats(And supposing Safy hasn't promoted, he'll also be frontline ready, too). Which are fine, but a little too niche to be like "Oh yeah, can't live without Safy".

And by the time staves reach height effectiveness and Warps start popping up, Sleuf/Cyas aren't that far away, and Sara practically begs you to use her to get her up to speed.

So again, back to the point, there are generally units who can staff as good as Safy and it isn't spaced out too crazily. Nobody outside of maybe Sety or Galzus can kill stuff as good as Orsin. From chapter 1 til Sety shows up, Orsin is basically unrivaled.

I’m going to have to disagree with this. Her C rank is good, and is partly why she’s so good, but it’s less that C rank is amazing and more that it’s proximity to A-rank is really good, especially since her immediate competition of Nanna and Asvel aren’t anywhere near as close to getting A-rank Staves as her since Nanna starts with E and Asvel starts with D promoted. Saphy basically singlehandedly and uniquely trivializes Ch. 12 and Ch. 12x, since warp is insanely good for beating those maps without any trouble at all. This is especially good since warpskipping both those maps guarentees at least 2 uses of sleep and all uses of the thief staff, both of which are incredibly good staves. Sleep is incredibly useful for trivializing the boss of Ch. 20, and several of the bosses in final. The thief staff is useful for trivializing Ch. 22 and grabbing a bunch of powerful weapons and staves. If you didn’t use Saphy to warp-skip those maps, you’d have to repair the weapons... using Saphy. Either way you look at it, she destroys two chapters with very annoying status staves, and helps keep the status staves at high use. In a way she singlehandedly gets you your first sleep and thief staff. She’s also the best way to recruit Misha and Xavier since in order to recruit Misha you need to put her to sleep and in order to recruit Xavier your best bet is putting all of his knights to sleep with the sleep sword. For Misha you can use the sleep sword or sleep staff, which either requires the sleep or thief staff, which at this point are basically only gainable through Saphy, and the sleep sword is likely gotten through the thief staff (since it’s near impossible to steal and the enemies that wield it in A route (the more common route) are cavs I.E. non-capturable). Another example of a unit who’s hard to recruit without Saphy is Trewd, since he’s an enemy you have to either capture or talk to with Pahn, and realistically if you want to capture him you’re putting him to sleep, since he’s a pain to hit otherwise (also impossible to double him) which is only possible through Saphy, and recruiting him through Pahn is only possible through Saphy as well, since he’s on the way to Pahn. Another important thing only Saphy can do for a while is warp, since the next unit that’s hitting warp after Saphy is probably Salem, who’s hitting warp around ch. 15 or 16, Saphy is solely responsible for all warps taking place between Ch. 7 and Ch. 16 (I’d say that’s reasonable). You can trivialize quite a few of those maps with warp, such as 10, 11x, the already mentioned 12 and 12x, and it’s useful for getting items/units in Ch. 14 and 16a, and it’s just a generally useful staff. Not to mention the easiest way to get the next warp (17a) is by putting that boss to sleep, using the sleep staff, that’s basicaly only gotten through Saphy. That map also really begs a warp skip, because Saias is a pain to deal with. (The other warp staff IIRC is so far away it’s most easily gotten, ironically enough, by warping there). Not to mention many clears require multiple staffers to pull off well, such as a 1-turn clear of Ch. 22. To sum this all up, Saphy basically gives you a bunch of good staves, such as sleep, thief, and is the only one who can use warp for quite a while, and is literally the only one who can use repair, which is a really powerful staff. Saphy singlehandedly trivializes multiple maps, and can aid in the trivialization of more maps. Saphy is basically the only way to recruit Misha and Xavier, and is the most convenient way to recruit Trewd (She’s also the most convenient way to recruit Amalda, since while Salem can warp Sleuf down it’s more convenient to get Saphy to A staves). 

Orsin trivializes no maps uniquely. Orsin’s combat is great, but not significantly better than many other units. Calling his combat unrivaled till Sety is a bold claim. Consider that in the first chapter in the game, you have two brave weapons, by the time you rerecruit Dagda you’re near guaranteed to have three brave weapons, units with high PCC like Shiva and Fergus are near guaranteed Criticals on their second attack with any high-crit weapon, Asvel exists, By mid game you’ve got the king sword, Deen’s combat is amazing, scrolls can mostly alleviate a unit’s combat problems, the list goes on and on. Not to mention enemies (excluding bosses) are generally mediocre to bad. Orsin isn’t the best capturer (Dagda and Fin are both a lot better), Orsin isn’t the best boss killer (lol Asvel), and these are IMO niches that have a larger impact than pure combat. Especially the boss killer part, since many bosses are really strong (Gomez), requiring in return a strong unit to take them down, and Orsin isn’t exactly the best option for it. He’s also not usable in the hardest part combatwise in the game (manster)

So If I had to choose between a unit that has utility to the max, trivializes multiple maps uniquely, grants access to many good staves, is near guarenteed to be the first user of the best staff in the game and is the sole user of arguably the best preferred weapon in the game, who through all of this makes recruiting several characters far easier than it would otherwise be, or a unit with good combat who’s not around when he’d be most useful, and isn’t the best in two important combat niches, I’d choose the first unit pretty quickly. I mean you can use both so it doesn’t really matter but the first is obviously better

12 hours ago, Slumber said:

Do a playthrough of Thracia where you kill Othin and a playthrough where you kill Safy and tell me the results. Not being snarky, actually curious to see the result.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Do a playthrough of Thracia where you kill Othin and a playthrough where you kill Safy and tell me the results. Not being snarky, actually curious to see the result.

I might do that, actually. See which gets me a lower turn count. I'm far from an FE5 LTCer, though, so variations might be a result of many things beyond using Safy or Orsin. 

Admittedly I forgot that warp strats can be really helpful on 12x, but I don't really think it's necessary for 12. Extra sleep staff uses can be nice, but I honestly don't think it's anywhere close to being a life saver for later bosses like on chapter 20/21.

Edited by Slumber