[FE7] Any information regarding map encoding?

lushen124

Hi,

I'm taking a second stab at doing another FE randomizer for FE7. I wanted to be able to move some units around randomly and also detect potential issues with scripting, but that requires some knowledge of the map layout that's in the game. I could hard code these values, but I'd prefer to reconstruct the maps in code so that it has some knowledge on how to handle that dynamically.

I've found the pointers to the map data, but I'm unsure how to read it. I'm not sure what the first 5 bytes are, but I can guess that bytes 6 and 7 are referring to the dimensions (width and height, respectively). But after that, just taking the prologue map as an example (which starts at 0x36AF00), I've messed around with the hex there and I've gathered that it's using some kind of encoding that lets it specify multiple occurrences of a tile pattern within a single instance of a byte pair. For example, changing the hex at 0x36AF07 from B0 to another value will change not only the tile in the top left, but also two tiles near the mountains on the right side of the map, presumably because it's the same pattern being used.

I'm just curious if there's any documentation on how this is encoded and how it could be decoded. I figure it must exist somewhere if the map insertion tools exist because they're presumably doing the same thing when encoding it.