What unit is the worst of their class?

Shoutout to Gareth for being the absolute strongest worst Dragon Laguz. This dude would be a god against physical enemies..... but unfortunately the only thing you fight from that point on is Magic enemies and he can go down super easily since he has shit speed and shit res

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troubadour/Valkyrie - L'arachel (pains me to say it). Bad join time (considering you get 2 solid healers that join way earlier), troubadours/valks also got nerfed for whatever reason having 5 movement speed instead of 6 and also they use Light tomes instead of Anima tomes, and also joins with bad staff ranks

Cleric/Bishop - Maria, literally ass with her nonexistent base stats and bad join time (in both games but, more so focused on FE11).

Pegasus Knight/Falcon Knight - Est, other late joining Falconknights (Sigrun, Syrene, Juno, Farina, etc.) have rescue/ferry utility whereas Est does not. Should be self-explanatory since she joins late with bad base stats, making her a pain to train to utilize her solid growths.

Wyvern Rider/Wyvern Lord - Idk a lot of them are pretty solid but, I guess it'd have to be Beruka just because she gets eclipsed by Camilla the majority of the time. Pretty meh unit but, also still pretty decent at times. She's not a bad unit per say but, when looking at every Wyvern Rider in the franchise, she just loses to all of them.

Cavalier/Paladin/Great Knight - Agreed with Vyland, Matthis barely edges out since Matthis joins early. Vyland is just bad, bad stats, bad growths, and also Cain/Abel exist. In Fe12 there are also way better Paladins such as Sirius/Rody/Cecil/Luke (possibly Ryan), so Vyland is just kind of there. 

Also @ the whole Nolan is the worst Axe Fighter, you probably should try and use Marty from FE5 since he is literally the worst axe fighter I've used so far.

Edited by Lunarly

30 minutes ago, Lunarly said:

Also @ the whole Nolan is the worst Axe Fighter, you probably should try and use Marty from FE5 since he is literally the worst axe fighter I've used so far.

Marty's main use is a capture bot. And for an early game unit, he does well at that. He's a utility unit, moreso than a combat unit. He's godawful as a combat unit, but he does have a role outside of this for a while.

If you want to point to a worst Axe Fighter, Bord and most of his ilk(Especially Wade) are terrible.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Lunarly said:

Troubadour/Valkyrie - L'arachel (pains me to say it). Bad join time (considering you get 2 solid healers that join way earlier), troubadours/valks also got nerfed for whatever reason having 5 movement speed instead of 6 and also they use Light tomes instead of Anima tomes, and also joins with bad staff ranks

Bold: Uhhh... What? Troubadours have 6 movement. Their promotions have 7.

5 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Bold: Uhhh... What? Troubadours have 6 movement. Their promotions have 7.

oh yeah that's what I meant, I was thinking about regular infantry units -1, rather than mounted units -1

Worst dragon- Bantu. Gareth might be the worst Dragon Laguz, but he's far and away better than Bantu. Specifically the FE11/12 rendition, as he doesn't have the advantage of being transformed for several turns like in FE1/FE3 Book 1. Not that his stats are all that much better transformed anyway.

Worst Armor- Meg and Gwendolyn are both equally bad, but I will give a dishonorable mention to Arden and his nonexistent move stat and lack of Pursuit.

Worst Archer- Tanya. Ronan at least has decent resistance from his absurd Magic stat. Tanya lacks this, and also needs to be picked up from a rather difficult gaiden chapter.

Worst Mercenary- Caesar, though when you have to compete with game winners like Raven, Ogma, Gerik, and Deke, it tends to not hurt so much, and he's still perfectly serviceable if you don't feel like using Ogma for the nth time.

Corpul is probably the worst Cleric in the series. Of course, it depends on who his father is. If his father is Claud, he's good....ish. The main problem with Corpul is that he's an Est-unit in a game where Lv.20 is the minimum promotion level. He's just so behind and there's not really a point in using him. 

• Though if we wanna get real technical, FE3/12 Maria is the worst Cleric in the series just by the fact that she joins literally during the Endgame and she isn't some Athos-tier unit.

Sophia's the worst Dark Mage due to a horrible join cahpter (and it's more about the chapter itself and less about the timing), terrible base stats and very low constitution, which is bad for her class. That doesn't stop me from using her though because Raigh's a bitch and Niime is actually forgettable.

Nomah is by far the series' worst Sage, especially in Gaiden. Low bases, hits like paper. Just plain awful.

Both Lalum and Tethys are the worst Dancers. For whatever reason, i just can't get these two to work. Feena and the Jugdral Dancers can fight back (and the Jugdral Dancers can refresh four at once), Nils and Ninian can do more than just refresh a turn, Olivia can also fight back and Azura can fight back as well with the added benefit of having the earliest join time of any Dancer in the series. Sure, all of them are fragile but they can still be reliable. But Lalum and Tethys just get killed so God damn easily.

Donnel is the worst Villager because Villagers don't promote in Awakening. Good stat potential but only once he reclasses into something good.

10 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And then, there's Hinata from Fates. A slow, inaccurate Myrmidon. Let me reiterate: A Myrmidon, whose main selling point is excellent Skill and Speed, is bad in both of these stats.

10 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

while Rinkah is just... utter garbage, except for a halfway decent Defence stat that makes her one of the only legitimate tanks Birthright has. 

4 hours ago, CyberController said:

Why does Rinkah have such bad strength? 

2 hours ago, Lunarly said:

Wyvern Rider/Wyvern Lord - Idk a lot of them are pretty solid but, I guess it'd have to be Beruka just because she gets eclipsed by Camilla the majority of the time.

All of this just reminds me of how bad most early game Fates units are, to the point where i do consider them to be among the worst of their classes as well.

• Hinata: Too slow and inaccurate.
  • Hana: Dies if she gets hit by the lightest breeze.
  • Rinka: "What is strength?"
  • Hinoka: Also wants to know what strength is.
  • Subaki: Actually the worst Pegasus Knight in the series. Doesn't know what strength is, can't hit things, is slower than the rate of which the continents move. People can call Est bad all they want, at least she can show potential.....some times.
  • Arthur: laughs in bad axe hitrates
  • Nyx: laughs in bad base stats

4 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Shoutout to Gareth for being the absolute strongest worst Dragon Laguz. This dude would be a god against physical enemies..... but unfortunately the only thing you fight from that point on is Magic enemies and he can go down super easily since he has shit speed and shit res

I think he might be THE worst dragon, period. Even Bantu can put in a little work. His availability is what really kills him. But his stats just serve no purpose against the remaining enemies in the game.

Gareth is like the Altena argument taken to the extreme. 

Altena is beefy and strong but sucks against magic? Too bad the game is mostly magic from here on. At least she won't get doubled.

Oh what? Gareth doesn't think Altena goes far enough? Well, he's beefy and strong, but sucks against magic. Now you ONLY fight magic against magic and his speed makes Micaiah look like an Olympian, so he'll likely get doubled by the steps on the way up to Ashera and Sephiran. 

2 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Worst Mercenary- Caesar, though when you have to compete with game winners like Raven, Ogma, Gerik, and Deke, it tends to not hurt so much, and he's still perfectly serviceable if you don't feel like using Ogma for the nth time.

I would say Ogier is worse imo

21 hours ago, Slumber said:

Speaking of Dawn Brigade units, Fiona might be the worst Cavalier in the franchise. Statistically alright, but a horribly, horribly underleveled mounted unit with bad bases, tossed into the ass-end of a hard chunk of game that pretty much punishes mounts. Fiona never has a chance to be even alright unless you baby the fuck out of her.

Might want to submit Vyland in the very first game as a challenge here. Joins at level 1 in chapter 5, after you've likely trained either Cain or Abel (or both) with two superior cavaliers in Roshea and (especially) Hardin. You are also given Matthis a chapter before but he's also a contender for terrible cavalier.

Vyland's growths are so ridiculously low to boot that even babying him won't help while Fiona can at least benefit from bonus experience.

Edited by Vince777

12 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Funny, isn't it? Just goes to show how glass-cannon-y Birthright's units are, save for very, VERY few exceptions.

Yeah. And it does not help that evade is unreliable.

12 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Crap, I've been exposed!!!
Yes, I did. And I enjoyed it very much. It's a fun game, even if the fanservice can be a bit... eeehhh...

I've played it myself. Haven't beaten it though. I'm gonna need to do two runs of the game anyhow.

Anyway, seconding Corple for worst healer. A level 1 healer past the halfway point of the generation... *retches* His sub isn't much better off. Worst archer is PoR Rolf. He comes in 1/3 of the way through the game, and is excruciatingly hard to raise without wasting your precious BEXP on him.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Vyland or Fiona are for sure the worst cavaliers, and Gareth is for sure the worst shape-shifting character. I wanna say either Arden or Gwendolyn for knights, Arden just because he's ridiculously hard to actually use and Gwendolyn just because she's plain bad. For mercenaries I have to give it to Caeser, and for myrmidons I'd have to give it to Radd. For thieves Rickard, for pegasus knights either Est or Juno, and for wyvern riders maybe Zeiss or Percy. Definitely Bord or Cord for fighters, Aran for soldiers, Darros for pirates, and Sophia for dark mages. For mages, I'm kinda thinking Luthier, and for archers I feel like maybe Python.

52 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Vyland or Fiona are for sure the worst cavaliers, and Gareth is for sure the worst shape-shifting character. I wanna say either Arden or Gwendolyn for knights, Arden just because he's ridiculously hard to actually use and Gwendolyn just because she's plain bad. For mercenaries I have to give it to Caeser, and for myrmidons I'd have to give it to Radd. For thieves Rickard, for pegasus knights either Est or Juno, and for wyvern riders maybe Zeiss or Percy. Definitely Bord or Cord for fighters, Aran for soldiers, Darros for pirates, and Sophia for dark mages. For mages, I'm kinda thinking Luthier, and for archers I feel like maybe Python.

I'm going to debate Python on account of the fact that, despite his flaws, Gaiden/Echoes archers have the advantage of being able to attack from further away than other archers in the series and actually having a enemy phase. This plus their bow knight promotion make even a bad one useful, moreso in echoes with the Killer Bow. To that effect, I'm inclined to say the ones who lack an attack phase are (usually) worse, simply because working them into a strategy can make them an outright liability.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

All of this just reminds me of how bad most early game Fates units are, to the point where i do consider them to be among the worst of their classes as well.

• Hinata: Too slow and inaccurate.
  • Hana: Dies if she gets hit by the lightest breeze.
  • Rinka: "What is strength?"
  • Hinoka: Also wants to know what strength is.
  • Subaki: Actually the worst Pegasus Knight in the series. Doesn't know what strength is, can't hit things, is slower than the rate of which the continents move. People can call Est bad all they want, at least she can show potential.....some times.
  • Arthur: laughs in bad axe hitrates
  • Nyx: laughs in bad base stats

To be fair, if Subaki is good at anything, it's hitting things. He hits like paper and rarely does any meaningful damage, but his hit rates at least manage to be somewhat consistent. As for Hana, she can be stronger than Ryoma by the time the lobster joins if you invest into training her up. She also gives you a beastly Kana if you pick the right mods.
Agreed on all of the others though, which is a shame in Nyx' case, since she's easily my favourite character in Fates. Adding to Nyx, however: laughs in shit-tier growth rates

I also want to add Setsuna to the list of shittiest Archers. She has god-awful base stats, comes in at an awful level, extremely crappy growth rates (she's fast... and that's it) and to top it all off, every other potential bow user in the entirety of Fates vastly outclasses her.

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Yeah. And it does not help that evade is unreliable.

You might have more luck throwing yourself into a meat grinder and surviving than evading anything meaningful in Fates.

I've played it myself. Haven't beaten it though. I'm gonna need to do two runs of the game anyhow.

I did beat it once already. The final boss fight was hard, but really fun.

I got the bad ending the first time through, though. Whoops.

Worst archer is PoR Rolf. He comes in 1/3 of the way through the game, and is excruciatingly hard to raise without wasting your precious BEXP on him.

Wow, I'd never thought I'd see the day when someone else agrees with me on this. Everyone I know says Rolf is the best Archer in PoR.

7 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

I'm going to debate Python on account of the fact that, despite his flaws, Gaiden/Echoes archers have the advantage of being able to attack from further away than other archers in the series and actually having a enemy phase. This plus their bow knight promotion make even a bad one useful, moreso in echoes with the Killer Bow. To that effect, I'm inclined to say the ones who lack an attack phase are (usually) worse, simply because working them into a strategy can make them an outright liability.

Yeah, that's the thing with Archers in FE2/15. Yeah, Python may suck but the advantages that he gets simply by being in the game he's in make him better than most other Archers in the series.

On the subject of FE2/15, i'd like to nominate Valbar for worst Knight, along with Arden from FE4. The former is really slow and actual Lances are better used in the hands of more capable units and it doesn't help that the terrain is not kind to Valbar. Arden.....well, being an infantry unit is already a curse in FE4 but it's worse when your move is lower than average. Yeah, you could get the Movement Ring but that requires dragging Arden's slow ass across the map to a very specific spot that the game doesn't tell you.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

As for Hana, she can be stronger than Ryoma by the time the lobster joins if you invest into training her up.

Yeah but that's if she's able to survive, because again, she dies if she gets hit by a light breeze. This is worse in Revelation because, along with Rinka and Subaki, she joins in Fuga's Wild Ride: Revelation edition and i honestly feel that the Revelation version of the map is worse because a good chunk of your army is practically useless at that time.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Everyone I know says Rolf is the best Archer in PoR.

Is he actually? All i saw was a terrible Archer with a weak-ass bow. You'd think that a personal weapon would be good but it's just a personalized Iron Bow. I suppose it is good that it actually speeds up his Weapon EXP faster than usual but it'd be a lot more useful if Rolf didn't hit like paper but that seems to be a trait shared among most early game Archers, to the point that i just bench them and wait for the Sniper to join the army.

But hey, maybe i'm wrong. Perhaps Rolf is the best Archer in PoR but i'll never know because the USB containing the game's files somehow literally fell apart.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

On the subject of FE2/15, i'd like to nominate Valbar for worst Knight, along with Arden from FE4. The former is really slow and actual Lances are better used in the hands of more capable units and it doesn't help that the terrain is not kind to Valbar. Arden.....well, being an infantry unit is already a curse in FE4 but it's worse when your move is lower than average. Yeah, you could get the Movement Ring but that requires dragging Arden's slow ass across the map to a very specific spot that the game doesn't tell you.

What really sucks about Valbar is that he really is the tankiest unit in the game, and many of the terrain problems could be circumvented if Genny just had warp. That being said, his saving grace is that the villager fork exists, and even as a mercenary he'll still have the growths of a knight, and so he'll have such high strength and defense that he won't really need to care about doubling.

As for the topic itself, I would say Gerome, but that's from personal experience and getting unlucky with the child mechanic. It's just the fact that he's been consistently poor among all my playthroughs (when other characters have ranged from bad to gamebreaking) that I raise an eyebrow on his usefulness.

26 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

What really sucks about Valbar is that he really is the tankiest unit in the game, and many of the terrain problems could be circumvented if Genny just had warp. That being said, his saving grace is that the villager fork exists, and even as a mercenary he'll still have the growths of a knight, and so he'll have such high strength and defense that he won't really need to care about doubling.

Warp or even just Rescue would easily solve Valbar's biggest problem. I know in Gaiden you could kill off Silque and resurrect her on Celica's side for Warp usage but i don't think you can do that in SoV. And you can't really use Faye's Renewal on Valbar either since by the time she learns it, the game's over.

To show just how bad Valbar is as a Knight, for whatever reason, i'm never able to get him past Lv.3. It's hard for him to get kills so he just falls behind real quick. 

Maybe if the Soldier class wasn't stuck at 4 Mov forever, then maybe Valbar would be better.

11 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

I would say Ogier is worse imo

Since I've been recently playing through Binding Blade and as he was the main reason why I had to reset, I'm inclined to agree.

I don't know why one would choose him over Dieck; Dieck starts and stays good, while you have to put in a lot of effort to catch Ogier up with everyone else.  I guess if you wanted to use the Ostia team a lot... but I sure don't care to.

18 hours ago, CyberController said:

Azura and Sakura, two support party members, both outclass her.

tbf, Azura has insane strength.

But yeah, there's no reason Sakura, of all people, should have higher strength growths than Rinkah.

I've personally seen Rinkah more as a tank, though.  I don't even think the Oni Savage is supposed to operate like a typical axe fighter.  Still, it'd be nice if she could actually hit shit or deal more than 4 damage.  All she's really good for is synergy attacks with ally mages at choke points and baiting.  Even Subaki is a better damage dealer, and it's only because he at least hits most of the time.

Also, Bors definitely is a better armor than Gwendolyn, but why the hell does he also get relatively high speed?  Seriously, he can double at least a third of the enemies he tanks with a javelin (not that it's relevant what weapon he uses because of high con, but still).  It's like the only proper armor in the game is Barth, who joins with shitty ass Gwendolyn and Ogier.

Though here's a question: are there any really terrible horseback archers?

Edited by Ertrick36

I see a lot of armor knights around here, and as I played a lot of Binding Blade, I know a lot about bad armor knights. But I think Barth is worse than Wendy.

We know Wendy has bad bases, really bad. He has worse stats overall than his brother, who was there from the beginning chapter. She might also easily die in the chapter she joins, and that's a long ass chapter. So why do I think she's better than most people think?

One word: potential.

I call Chapter 8x the Wendy training ground, she can gain some well-needed levels and supports, and after a few chapters she can catch up with the others. All armor knights have to go through axeland when they join, they all have the same disadvantages in the game, but Wendy can grow out of it, just like Bors. Barth however has higher starting level, still having most of his stats on the bottom part, and his growth rates are non-existent. Barth is all Strength, Defense and HP with increasingly high chance to miss, hardly dodge, and basicly die to any mage that come across. Wendy can grow out of it, Barth can't.

I like training my units, I know Wendy can get screwed by RNG, but with her potential she becomes better than Barth in time. Barth is just not worth training.

26 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Roberto from Thracia 776

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Is he actually? All i saw was a terrible Archer with a weak-ass bow. You'd think that a personal weapon would be good but it's just a personalized Iron Bow. I suppose it is good that it actually speeds up his Weapon EXP faster than usual but it'd be a lot more useful if Rolf didn't hit like paper but that seems to be a trait shared among most early game Archers, to the point that i just bench them and wait for the Sniper to join the army.

Technically, he's the best archer because he's the only one in the game. ;)
More seriously, people will come to different conclusions when comparing Rolf and Shinon because the latter completely stinks in comparison to a trained Rolf when he rejoins, but Rolf doesn't have the early-game contributions that Shinon can offer. And we all know that you'll never find common ground in the FE fandom about the value of early-game contributions vs. long-term usability, or how to take opportunity costs into consideration.

If we check all the (primary) bow users, Astrid is still way better than Rolf despite her later recruitment - Horse, Axes (which are definitely the best choice for her every paladin in the game) and Paragon.

45 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Speaking of Astrid: Astrid in Radiant Dawn is pretty bad. If we stretch definitions, Neimi can promote into Ranger, although she won't be terrible any more at that point. €: Wolf and Sedgar in New Mystery. Hoo boy.

RE: Ogier: To play devil's advocate for a bit: He at least has a rather fortunate starting position, thanks to the most axe-heavy part of the game that's right around the corner when he joins, so training him up isn't as bad as it could be. Doesn't change the fact that literally every sword user that you have at that point (as well as HM!Fir who will join just 2 chapters later) is more worthwhile to use, but it's at least a small point in his favour.

38 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

We know Wendy has bad bases, really bad. He has worse stats overall than his brother, who was there from the beginning chapter. She might also easily die in the chapter she joins, and that's a long ass chapter. So why do I think she's better than most people think?

tbh, Wendy has the potential to still be worse than Bors and that's about it, not to mention that "be as good as Bors" isn't exactly a high hurdle to jump. Barth can at least be promoted almost instantly to be... kinda OK? on the isles, although the opportunity cost (i.e. not promoting a cavalier) is much higher than any profit that may bring. They're both terrible, so I guess I'm splitting hairs here.

Edited by ping

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Valbar... Even worse than Wendy? That's pretty hard for me to swallow, since she's never useful. Coincidentally, she's in a game where horses are inflated in usefulness. 

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

I see a lot of armor knights around here, and as I played a lot of Binding Blade, I know a lot about bad armor knights. But I think Barth is worse than Wendy.

I call Chapter 8x the Wendy training ground, she can gain some well-needed levels and supports, and after a few chapters she can catch up with the others. All armor knights have to go through axeland when they join, they all have the same disadvantages in the game, but Wendy can grow out of it, just like Bors. Barth however has higher starting level, still having most of his stats on the bottom part, and his growth rates are non-existent. Barth is all Strength, Defense and HP with increasingly high chance to miss, hardly dodge, and basicly die to any mage that come across. Wendy can grow out of it, Barth can't.

I like training my units, I know Wendy can get screwed by RNG, but with her potential she becomes better than Barth in time. Barth is just not worth training.

I would disagree since the only feasible way to train her, ironically, involves deploying the other two armours. The fact that I have to deploy two more bad units on her behalf speaks volumes... I might as well feed them to Bors or Barth if I needed to go that far.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Sue and Shin from FE6 come to mind. Like most early game Archers, Sue has weak hits and Shin is just slightly better Sue, which isn't saying much. It's like the main reason i could never go to the Sacae route (though given the horror stories i hear about it, i don't want to). 

And while it's not horseback, Reina is the worst of class but that's because she's the only one, unless you promote Takumi into a Kinshi Knight but why would you, Kinshi Knights suck.

13 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Valbar... Even worse than Wendy? That's pretty hard for me to swallow, since she's never useful. Coincidentally, she's in a game where horses are inflated in usefulness. 

Valbar, Wendy, Arden are all tied for worst Knights. Knight is already a bad class and these three are the worst. In fact, i'm gonna add a fourth person to that list: Hannibal. He's basically just a promoted Arden. Not that it matters because it's FE4 so Hannibal has literally nothing going for him, except guarding castles.

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

I've actually tried this but it just isn't worth it at all. I feel like i shouldn't be saying that training a bad unit isn't worth it because i'm the guy that always trains Sophia but the difference between Sophia and Wendy is that the former can at least have a niche role in Dark Magic since there's only three of them in the game whereas the latter gets outclassed by every Lance user, of which there is a lot of. Also the fact that by the time you do recruit Sophia, it's possible that you have a decent amount of stat boosters that you can use on her (which is what i do) whereas you probably don't have nearly as much to use on Wendy.

Honestly, Ch.8x is better off as the Lilina training ground. It's much easier to train Lilina, especially with the super easy Support Bonuses she gets from Roy.

Edited by Armagon