Special Heroes Coming! Spring Festival Vol. 2 - From March 22nd! (Now with VIDEO: Sharena, Alfonse, Catria, Kagero)

Coolmanio

Just now, Michelaar said:

I don't think that is what they mean with that, I'm pretty sure they do this because a lot of Fire emblem players are men. Just my view on it though.

Except a lot are female too. There may be slightly more males and slightly more male gamers in general, but I believe the number of female gamers has gone up over the years and that male gamers only outnumber us by a little bit.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Anacybele said:

Except a lot are female too. There may be slightly more males and slightly more male gamers in general, but I believe the number of female gamers has gone up over the years and that male gamers only outnumber us by a little bit.

Of course I think this too, which is I think why they are starting to incorporate male fanservice as well. And for people like me, of course. ^-^

I'm looking at this and only one thing comes to my mind.
RAGE.

Both Axe and Dagger have such a small pool of permanent inheritable weapons and IS decided to stick the Wo Dao version of them on seasonal weapons. Are you serious?
I can understand unique classes on Seasonals but not weapons.

4 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Of course I think this too, which is I think why they are starting to incorporate male fanservice as well. And for people like me, of course. ^-^

Yeah, they also gotta remember that not even all guys like female fanservice. Some guys are gay, some like both.

6 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

RAGE.

Both Axe and Dagger have such a small pool of permanent inheritable weapons and IS decided to stick the Wo Dao version of them on seasonal weapons. Are you serious?

I mean how else are you going to entice people to roll with their wallets in case they aren't appealed to by character selection?

I mean I'm in that boat.

I'm not particularly gung ho about getting the seasonals... But if I didn't keep at least one copy of every new hero I roll I'd be tempted to roll for Catria simply from the Chill Res.

14 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I don't think that is what they mean with that, I'm pretty sure they do this because a lot of Fire emblem players are men. Just my view on it though.

I second this. Even if video game players aren’t as predominantly male as they once were, there’s still the long-standing “only guys play video games” stereotype (which I don’t hold for the record) getting in the way of giving more fan service to the females. 

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't approve of forced blatant fanservice for either gender, personally. That's not to say I dislike fanservice period. I CAN be okay with it. It just has to make sense and not be there for the sake of it or shoved in my face. Some good examples are the hot springs in Fates and the swimsuit banners in Heroes. Hot springs and bathing between battles were actually a real life thing and may still be, so that was a good place to stick some fanservice. In Heroes, it was summer at the time, and what do a lot of people wear in summer? Swimsuits. Again, makes sense.

But spring outfits... I don't really get how being fanservicey there makes sense at all. I'm just glad Catria and Sharena look fairly modest. Evens out Alfonse and Kagero looking much more fanservicey.

And I agree with Cute Chao that fanservice is always too lopsided in favor of women. It comes off to me as saying women are just sex objects and men are dominant and shouldn't be dropped to that level (much). :/ Also comes off as saying only women with big boobs and stuff matter. I'm someone who's (mostly) flat chested, so that kind of hurts and makes me feel rather unattractive/ugly in society's eyes. Nobody should feel that way.

why it have to makes sense? No one asked their logic on why in horror works police and doctors are highly incompetent, in action works people survived what should have killed them or capable of destroying the indestructible,  Other genre are often breaks common sense and logic so why fanservice must follow logic? 

No, it is not. Sexual appeal isn't the only thing that should be define people, regardless men or women, but the thing is people make fuss over it everytime it happens to a woman and stays cool, even enjoys it when it happens to men. things like reduced to satellite character or living macguffinn or abuse victim.... I could name more of the things people have double standard for, but my point is that I hate the gender hypocrisy, that is all. 

Sex appeal isn't just about boobs tho, it can also be about the crotch itself, legs, nape, back, etc...Even the movement, the voices can be part of sex appeal.Thing is,  physical features is part of first impression, and no one would bother to explain themselves in detail to everyone they meet in their lives.

men can be concerned with small features as women do too, as I once read a man with small dick that had to transplant a horse dick to lessen his insecurity. It's not happening just to women. 

19 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Overseas, yes, but when Awakening was just released IS did a poll in Japan and it shoes 68% of the players are female and is the reason why most FE manga adaptation is shoujo. That's old poll and Japan only, so it's likely overseas there is more male players, yes, but other than that, the fact that most companies higher up grew up where women being openly thirsty or a male-aimed work have female fanbase is wrong/bad/unbelievable,, so there's that. FE did make its progress to care more about the female fanbase more than several games that still don't milk their male characters out, but oh slow the progress is. 

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Honestly the best part of Alfonse's art is him wearing a bridal veil. I want him. 

For the Muninn's Egg, it looks like it will be a personal weapon? It's got the same MT as a legendary tome, and two effects. I guess we already have precedent for this from Berserk Armads. Even the seasonal characters are tired of being left behind the curve due to lack of personal weapon. 

I am pretty sure Axzura was first Prf weapon seasonal. Hector might be second, but not sure if there weren't any one  between.

26 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I mean how else are you going to entice people to roll with their wallets in case they aren't appealed to by character selection?

I mean I'm in that boat.

I'm not particularly gung ho about getting the seasonals... But if I didn't keep at least one copy of every new hero I roll I'd be tempted to roll for Catria simply from the Chill Res.

Aside from skills, unique classes obviously.
Armored Mages, Armored Archer and 2 colors of Flier Mages are still Seasonals-only and Kagero adds another in that regard. Plus there are some exclusive characters like Shigure or Charlotte.
Unless you are like me and abstain from Seasonals because reasons that's a damn good reason to get them.

Most of the past seasonal weapons are ok because they are niche at best or have meme-value like the Carrot Lance. I would even say Seasonals are one of the best places to introduce unit-exclusive weapons like in case of Azura or Nowi. But restricting the Wo Dao version of Axes and Daggers towards that pool is absurd and unfair to the respective weapon types. These are 'generic' effects after all.

Edited by Zeratul

16 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

why it have to makes sense? No one asked their logic on why in horror works police and doctors are highly incompetent, in action works people survived what should have killed them or capable of destroying the indestructible,  Other genre are often breaks common sense and logic so why fanservice must follow logic? 

No, it is not. Sexual appeal isn't the only thing that should be define people, regardless men or women, but the thing is people make fuss over it everytime it happens to a woman and stays cool, even enjoys it when it happens to men. things like reduced to satellite character or living macguffinn or abuse victim.... I could name more of the things people have double standard for, but my point is that I hate the gender hypocrisy, that is all. 

Sex appeal isn't just about boobs tho, it can also be about the crotch itself, legs, nape, back, etc...Even the movement, the voices can be part of sex appeal.Thing is,  physical features is part of first impression, and no one would bother to explain themselves in detail to everyone they meet in their lives.

men can be concerned with small features as women do too, as I once read a man with small dick that had to transplant a horse dick to lessen his insecurity. It's not happening just to women. 

Because otherwise it comes off as tasteless and dumb and pandering, imo. You don't even have to be sexualized to be appealing.

I agree, but society doesn't seem to think that way.

It seems to be only about boobs and ass when it comes to women though.

I didn't say they couldn't. But you can't deny that most of that pressure is still on women, not men.

bleh I'm kinda salty because Alfonse and Kagero both have really solid inheritable weapons. 

I really hope IS decides to eventually add these weapons in a different form. I just can't understand why they make certain weapons so powerful and also look so dumb. Heck people would roll for these characters just for the skills in most cases. The weapons are just ugh...

Edited by Tsak

Why are people suddenly complaining about the weapons? It's not like this is the only seasonal banner that had silly weapons. Bride Charlotte has a giant spoon, Summer Gaius has a candy/ice cream bow, Bunny Xander has a giant carrot, female Robin uses a fish on a spear, male Robin uses a freaking Christmas tree, and so on. These are just meant to be silly fun weapons.

Edited by Anacybele

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Because otherwise it comes off as tasteless and dumb and pandering, imo. You don't even have to be sexualized to be appealing.

I agree, but society doesn't seem to think that way.

It seems to be only about boobs and ass when it comes to women though.

I didn't say they couldn't. But you can't deny that most of that pressure is still on women, not men.

Not with Team Ninja it's not, they seem to be all about feet, hahah.

In terms of boobs and butts...is that not the same for males too? I've seen plenty of people online ogling male rears, and many people have drooled over Saizo and Kaze's 'tiddie window', and Keaton and Kaden's for that matter. Heck, even Alfonse has been getting it today.

I agree that women's butts and chests get a lot of focus, but it's the exact same for men.

Personally, I couldn't give two noogies about fan service, most of the time I enjoy it, unless it involves sexualising young children, that's a big no no.

...Though I did raise an eyebrow at Kagero's attack artwork - how does the top of the outfit stay up?

1 hour ago, Zeratul said:

RAGE.

They did it before with the New Year's banner where Takumi's Kagami Mochi was essentially a Killer Dagger. The irony of which is that the GBA and Awakening thieves could use regular Killing Edges since they used swords and apparently Fates had the Barb Shuriken which Asugi, Kaze, Yukimura, or any ninja could have introduced. I'm already expecting Thoron+ to be introduced by a legendary hero. And then there's stuff like apparently speed refined Silver Swords are better than Yato, but that's another story.

Anyway, I want the flying ninjabbit and Catria. Also, spring Alfonse because he's the fourth axe cavalier in the game. Even if he's literally axe Luke making him not so different from Frederick and especially Gunter, I'd still be okay with that. Sharena would be nice too since Sharena is nice.

Edited by Kaden

Text block ahoy! On the whole fanservice talk. Spoilered for length.

Spoiler

Guys, you've gotta take into consideration one simple thing, and I don't mean this in a condescending manner. But quite simply this kind of thing is successful. Yeah, there'll be people who don't like the fanservice, but there will be just as many who do, and those are the people being catered/pandered to. Make the art appealing, even if in an overtly sexual way (or perhaps especially in that case) and that audience will be more likely to dump their money on it. This is a company that wants to make money, and if they see an effective way to make money that doesn't exploit the customer (any more than gacha games already do) why wouldn't they continue doing it? Be it female fanservice or male fanservice, with seasonal, time-limited units you're gonna wanna appeal to the majority who'll spend money. It's the same reason why, while I understand the whole hate against Fateswakening over-attention, I completely get it, as it makes little sense from a business standpoint to ignore their most popular titles. Even then, now they're starting to show more attention to other games.

And you know what? I can't take the issue of there being more females in this banner than males seriously, because when you look back on the seasonals, they've all been half men, half women, apart from the bridal one, for obvious reasons. So treating this one seasonal banner as if the pandering to the male fans has gone mad is actually ridiculous. I've seen people all around talking about how Alphonse has got a straight up bulge going on, yet because boobs are on display in this banner, that has to take the brunt of the complaints?

I get that some people don't like fanservice, and I won't deny people the right to complain about it. But the way it's complained about sometimes feels like y'all think that's all this game is now. Of the seasonals, there was no real fanservice with the fallen heroes, at least not with Celica. Also, more men than women in that time, taking into account the TT. There was no real fanservice with New Years, despite Camilla being in it. And I don't consider her bit of cleavage as ungodly fanservice, unless we seriously want to get prudish. With Christmas, yeah, we had IS unfortunately milking the hell out of Tharja, but none really with Lissa. Before that was... yeah... Alright. I'll give you guys Nowi in the halloween banner. None with Sakura. Before that we had the dancers, but can we complain about that if it matches their dancer theme? Again, not unless we want to be prudish. We had swimsuits before that, which has fanservice for both sides, so I can't see any real valid complaints for one side of the other. Before that were brides, with no real revealing fanserivce. And before that was Spring where there was Camilla. But you know, Camilla's Camilla. This was the first seasonal banner and there wasn't nearly as much hate for her back then. In fact, I think people even rated her highly as a base unit. If you wanted to count Lucina in her bunny outfit, then at that point what would even be the point of the seasonals, if not to dress them up according to the theme?

I've seen people complain about female armour units, and the lack of practicality. Sheena is obviously the most practical, but seriously. Y'all need to take into account that this game needs to appeal to many, many different people, and without going straight up Winter Tharja on us, I'd say many of the female armour units do a good job at not being nothing but fanservice. The only thing I'd question if I had to is Amelia's skirt. But really, I've never seen such a repulsion for fanservice than in the Fire Emblem community. Whilst' annoying how it becomes such a big deal whenever it comes, it's honestly kind of impressive... in an annoying kind of way.

Getting out of seasonals, there are plenty of female units that don't offer blatant fanservice, yet the way I hear people go on about things, you'd think there was no such thing in Heroes.

3 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

@FrenzifyEr, the Fallen Heroes banner isn't considered a seasonal banner, and the units are still in the summoning pool, I think.

True, and fair enough, but three out of four are alts, so I added it on a technical basis... which means I probably should have added other banners with alts, like the Brave Heroes.

16 minutes ago, Lau said:

Not with Team Ninja it's not, they seem to be all about feet, hahah.

In terms of boobs and butts...is that not the same for males too? I've seen plenty of people online ogling male rears, and many people have drooled over Saizo and Kaze's 'tiddie window', and Keaton and Kaden's for that matter. Heck, even Alfonse has been getting it today.

I agree that women's butts and chests get a lot of focus, but it's the exact same for men.

Personally, I couldn't give two noogies about fan service, most of the time I enjoy it, unless it involves sexualising young children, that's a big no no.

...Though I did raise an eyebrow at Kagero's attack artwork - how does the top of the outfit stay up?

I've not seen that at all. I won't disagree that Alfonse is rather sexualized here, but you forget that males don't have boobs and don't have curvy butts like women. So for them, it tends to be more their crotch and muscles and...nothing else. The females get their boobs emphasized, their butts emphasized, sometimes even with their ass-cracks showing, and they sometimes get panty shots too. Men don't get nearly as much.

I will admit that it's rather harder to sexualize men, but still.

And yeah, that's another thing about some of these outfits. How do some female tops stay up, like Loki's? This is why I say fanservice needs to make sense.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Why are people suddenly complaining about the weapons?

Because Giant Spoon and Lethal Carrot have the same effect as Wo Dao, and many of us were hoping for a standard weapon to give us that weapon and skill combination rather than a limited weapon.

It's the same problem that we have with Kagami Mochi having the Killer weapon effect when Slaying Dagger still doesn't exist.

24 minutes ago, Kaden said:

They did it before with the New Year's banner where Takumi's Kagami Mochi was essentially a Killer Dagger.

Any of us who are complaining about the axe and dagger having Wo Dao's effect also have the exact same issue with Kagami Mochi having the Killer weapon effect.

If someone lights a house on fire and gets arrested for it, they're not exempt from being arrested again when they light another house on fire.

Edited by Ice Dragon

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Because Giant Spoon and Lethal Carrot have the same effect as Wo Dao, and many of us were hoping for a standard weapon to give us that weapon and skill combination rather than a limited weapon.

It's the same problem that we have with Kagami Mochi having the Killer weapon effect when Slaying Dagger still doesn't exist.

They could still come eventually. If they don't though, then I see your point.

I got so excited when I saw the whole "Spring Ninja" thing. I thought it would be Saizo. But no, it's Kagero. I'm still holding out for a special version of Saizo.

I mainly want Alfonse because I couldn't stop laughing at how tight his pants were, and for some reason I though his cape looked like a wedding veil at first, lol. But the rest of the units seem pretty nice too and seem to offer some interesting skills and weapons, and even though I was disappointed with Kagero, I'm glad she is a dagger flier. I was wondering when they would add one to the game, so I'm hoping I can get her too.

I just hope they will turn out better than the spring units from last year. Those looked promising but were pretty mediocre to me. 

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Any of us who are complaining about the axe and dagger having Wo Dao's effect also have the exact same issue with Kagami Mochi having the Killer weapon effect.

If someone lights a house on fire and gets arrested for it, they're not exempt from being arrested again when they light another house on fire.

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying it's probably going to happen again with my pessimistic viewpoint on things.

Edited by Kaden

The Wo Dao axe doesn't bug me since the majority of axe wielders are best suited to bombing people with a Slaying Axe and the insane bulk you can earn from its refinements. They could run Wo Dao as well, but will that ever be a straight improvement rather than an expensive alternative? More procs > slightly bigger procs. I feel like Legion is probably the only unit where that Axe may be his best weapon choice.

The dagger situation is a bit more unfortunate. There are few offensive choices among inheritable daggers.