Special Heroes Coming! Spring Festival Vol. 2 - From March 22nd! (Now with VIDEO: Sharena, Alfonse, Catria, Kagero)

Coolmanio

Watching the preview, I thought I was going to be safe to save orbs on this banner, but then Kagero showed up. Something like this happens every time, I swear.

Not that I'm complaining about another member for my ultimate fanservice pegasus squad.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Come to the Dark Side. Switch the language over to Japanese.

...Now that you mention it, I think it's about time I do that too. I've been slacking off on my language studies, so I'm not at all confident in my skills, but the practice might do me good.

I'll miss Tiki's English voice, though.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

The Wo Dao axe doesn't bug me since the majority of axe wielders are best suited to bombing people with a Slaying Axe and the insane bulk you can earn from its refinements. They could run Wo Dao as well, but will that ever be a straight improvement rather than an expensive alternative? More procs > slightly bigger procs. I feel like Legion is probably the only unit where that Axe may be his best weapon choice.

Giant Spoon is pretty much guaranteed to be able to be refined and have the exact same refined stats as Wo Dao+. This game is pretty consistent like that.

Wo Dao's Moonbow will out-damage Slaying Edge's Luna against opponents with less than 50 Def, and Wo Dao's effect activating after all other effects (except damage mitigation Special skills) means it is pretty much guaranteed a minimum of 10 damage on a Special activation whereas all of Slaying Edge's special skill damage can be mitigated by Def.

I've seen my Nowi take zero damage from a Regnal Astra.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Giant Spoon is pretty much guaranteed to be able to be refined and have the exact same refined stats as Wo Dao+. This game is pretty consistent like that.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. 

And I'm talking about the stat spreads of axe wielders, not those weak swordies cursed to lack a personal weapon. I doubt Giant Spoon is going to take anybody off the bench except, possibly, Legion.

10 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

And I'm talking about the stat spreads of axe wielders, not those weak swordies cursed to lack a personal weapon. I doubt Giant Spoon is going to take anybody off the bench except, possibly, Legion.

Non-armored bulky axes with enough Spd to not reliably use Ignis benefits from Giant Spoon + Moonbow over Slaying Axe + Bonfire.

Any infantry axe with high Atk, especially those with good Def, like Bartre and Tiki, can run the weapon with something like Brazen Atk/Def and Wrath and simply one-hit kill most of the game without having to worry too much about dying.

Anna has a pretty good argument for it, as well.

Sure it's expensive for just a small boost, but it's still strictly better than Slaying Axe in many cases.

On fanservice, well considering this is a gacha game, and the primary goal of such games is to get especially the big spenders (whales) to drop lots of money on units they are probably not concerned with being PC.  Just look at the many extremely sexual damaged poses, most of them on females.  Forget the torn clothing, their facial expression (like Nowi, Fjorm, Gunnthra, many others) is very suggestive.  I believe there is a sizable group of female players, but the majority is likely male.  Then more importantly what gender is the majority of whales and what entices them to spend?  I only play this game cause its Fire Emblem, but from what I hear about other gachas over the top near nude seasonals sell better than anything else particularly if coupled with an established popular character (Camilla?).  

I may be in the minority though, I don't want equal fanservice, I simply don't much of it period (I'm speaking of the sex sells kind).  They can make the character attractive, alluring and such without resorting to such measures.  There are many examples already in the game.  I am far from a prude but over the top in your face fan service just seems so forced and also such a bad fit for the world of Fire Emblem.   

I may not like sexual fanservice, but I acknowledge that others do. What bothers me is probably when people only care about a character for being sexy and try to excuse any deficiencies in their personalities with Freudian excuses. Especially if they wouldn't do so if that exact same character were more homely looking. I'm just tired of feeling like more and more people only like characters because "my waifu" or "my husbando" rather than "I like their character -- would never bang them, but they're my favorite".

Also, having three females and one male on the spring banner is making me nervous that the seasonal banners are going to be predominantly female. I'm a bit less worried since they made three males and two females on the Valentine's banner (although Eliwood was free), so maybe it'll be balanced out by the next banner. But let's not get three females and one male for every four person seasonal banner from now on, please.

And I just learned about the existence of the Great Club in Fates and it could have been the Wo Dao axe. Welp, Rinkah might not have it if it they give her Rinkah's Club or whatever, same with Fuga, so I guess we'll be dependent on reclassed Hayato, Hinata, Hisame, and whoever else. Cue their reclassed selves being legendary heroes because of course they would be or Great Club being an exclusive weapon to one of them.

@Ice Dragon, would Amelia and winter Lissa have an argument for using Giant Spoon of Slaying Axe? At least with Bold Fighter and/or off armor teams.

Edited by Kaden

5 minutes ago, Kaden said:

And I just learned about the existence of the Great Club in Fates and it could have been the Wo Dao axe. Welp, Rinkah might not have it if it they give her Rinkah's Club or whatever, same with Fuga, so I guess we'll be dependent on reclassed Hayato, Hinata, Hisame, and whoever else. Cue their reclassed selves being legendary heroes because of course they would be or Great Club being an exclusive weapon to one of them.

I have a suspicion that if they ever add clubs, they'd be uninheritable weapons like the two currently existing naginatas. I feel like they want to keep the Hoshidan feel exclusive to Hoshidans, and making the weapons uninheritable is the best way to accomplish that.

29 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I may not like sexual fanservice, but I acknowledge that others do. What bothers me is probably when people only care about a character for being sexy and try to excuse any deficiencies in their personalities with Freudian excuses. Especially if they wouldn't do so if that exact same character were more homely looking. I'm just tired of feeling like more and more people only like characters because "my waifu" or "my husbando" rather than "I like their character -- would never bang them, but they're my favorite".

Also, having three females and one male on the spring banner is making me nervous that the seasonal banners are going to be predominantly female. I'm a bit less worried since they made three males and two females on the Valentine's banner (although Eliwood was free), so maybe it'll be balanced out by the next banner. But let's not get three females and one male for every four person seasonal banner from now on, please.

Yeah, I agree with this post entirely.

Granted, I will admit I like seeing hot muscular guys, but I don't care about anything else, including anything below their waists. And I wouldn't want them to go around shirtless for the sake of it. Which is why I only wanted shirtless Ike and shirtless Freddy for something like a summer banner (I still can't believe the latter actually happened! Well sorta, since Freddy isn't entirely shirtless there). A reason I love RD Ike's design so much is that it looks reasonable and cool without being too sexual and yet it still shows how muscular he is as well as a bonus. And I like these guys for much more than just their appearance.

It also bothers me a lot when people just like characters for the "waifu" thing. And I also hope seasonal banners won't start being mostly female or all female unless a good reason is given like the bride thing. But even then, why not have some grooms too, especially since we got a groom Marth in FE Warriors?

23 minutes ago, Kaden said:

@Ice Dragon, would Amelia and winter Lissa have an argument for using Giant Spoon of Slaying Axe? At least with Bold Fighter and/or off armor teams.

The reason why I specifically called out non-armored units is because Bold Fighter + Slaying Axe on a build that focuses on performance instead of scoring would run Ignis, and switching to Giant Spoon + Bonfire lowers your damage output.

The difference between Bonfire and Ignis is 30% of your own Def, which means the point where Slaying Axe + Ignis does the same damage as Giant Spoon + Bonfire is 34 Def. Since both Amelia and Lissa have more than that, Slaying Axe + Ignis is preferred.

For armors with access to Bold Fighter or Vengeful Fighter, Giant Spoon would be for an Arena defense build and not an Arena offense build. If you're stuck with Quick Riposte, though, Giant Spoon + Moonbow typically out-performs Slaying Axe + Bonfire.

I accept other people are into sexual fanservice and that's all good, just was stating my personal preference.  I will say though like some others have said, I have a real problem with sexual fanservice considering child characters.  I get that lolicon is a huge thing particularly in Japan, but it is just about the most offputting nauseating and disturbing thing if you aren't a lolicon.  It is also disturbing considering how many predators of children there are in the real world, and how children are the most innocent and helpless of victims in addition to those things usually screwing them permanently for life.  

Does every single seasonal banner thread have to devolve into another cesspool of fanservice rants?

23 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

@Kaden maybe the Battle Axe from the gba games could be the wo dao axe on a non seasonal unit, since I remember it also having a killing effect, just like the wo dao in the gba games

No such weapon of that name exists in the GBA games. In fact, no axe by any name other than Killer Axe in the GBA games has a critical hit rate greater than 5%.

Edited by Ice Dragon

6 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

@Kaden maybe the Battle Axe from the gba games could be the wo dao axe on a non seasonal unit, since I remember it also having a killing effect, just like the wo dao in the gba games

Not quite.  The Battle Axe in Sacred Stones only has 5 Critical compared to the Killer Axe's 30.

That said, I would love to see it retooled in, say, FE16 or Heroes as an Axe equivalent of the Wo Dao.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Does every single seasonal banner thread have to devolve into another cesspool of fanservice rants?

My thoughts exactly. I find it's the most annoying recurring thing on this forum. I was so tempted to respond some more but it would definitely only make it worse.

26 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

12 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

My thoughts exactly. I find it's the most annoying recurring thing on this forum. I was so tempted to respond some more but it would definitely only make it worse.

I agree as well. When did the Fire Emblem become so...prudish? I mean, the Fire Emblem fandom get bad reputation because of people like this.

I never thought I’d see the day where I’d be so disgusted by a seasonal banner and here we are. This banner’s only saving grace (in my eyes) would be Catria and that’s due to the Amagaitaro art. The artwork of the other 3 is painful to look at and I’m not talking about fanservice. I’ll gladly keep waiting for Walhart to cover my axe cav needs. I guess that means I get to save orbs for the legendary banner that’s around the corner. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

I just re-read the skill descriptions and realized that Muninn's Egg inflicts -5 Atk and -5 Res, but Huginn's Egg inflicts -5 Atk and -5 Def instead. Sure, Catria also gets Chill Res, but her weapon just gives me Oboro vibes all over again. Also, Sharena doesn't need to give up her B slot to get a similar benefit.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed Alfonse gets Sturdy Blow, which is already available at 4-star rarity from Athena, but we still don't have Swift Blow from anyone other than Brave Roy.

Edited by Ice Dragon

36 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I agree as well. When did the Fire Emblem become so...prudish? I mean, the Fire Emblem fandom get bad reputation because of people like this.

As someone who got in through Awakening, what I think is going on is that a good deal of players who aren't used to the series having lots of fanservice are paranoid that it's going to turn into one of the series's defining characteristics based on the 3DS games' and Heroes's trends.

In a way, it's ironic because by calling so much attention to it, they might be fulfilling their own prophecy.

EDIT:

@Lord-Zero

Dang, Walhart actually sounds like he'd be a good addition.  Maybe we'll see him in a Grand Hero Battle.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

7 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Personally I don't get the complaints for Kagero. She's wearing almost the exact same outfit as Catria and showing a similar amount of skin. 

I think it has less to do with outfits and more with the fact that her breasts are way too big.

I mean, really.  What even are those?

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I think it has less to do with outfits and more with the fact that her breasts are way too big.

They're no bigger than in the art for her normal version. They're just unrestrained.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I mean, really.  What even are those?

Everything she eats goes there instead of elsewhere. Best superpower.

2 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

I do want to know what that music on the trailer was, cause it’s actually kinda neat

Sounds like a festive remix of the Fire Emblem theme. I like the whistle and percussion, though it makes me feel like it would be better on a summer banner instead.

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I just re-read the skill descriptions and realized that Muninn's Egg inflicts -5 Atk and -5 Res, but Huginn's Egg inflicts -5 Atk and -5 Def instead. Sure, Catria also gets Chill Res, but her weapon just gives me Oboro vibes all over again. Also, Sharena doesn't need to give up her B slot to get a similar benefit.

I think it's more forgivable on a Chill effect, since Catria doesn't have to be in proximity to the enemy to use it. It won't make her own attacks more effective, but it's fine for supporting physical-attacking allies.