Special Heroes Coming! Spring Festival Vol. 2 - From March 22nd! (Now with VIDEO: Sharena, Alfonse, Catria, Kagero)

Coolmanio

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

I mean, isn't liking the personalities part of how people decide "waifus"? I think you may have a slightly different definition of "waifu" from what I usually hear. And I don't see too much of an issue of at least liking the character design but not the personality, or even caring about it.

Noooooooo. Absolutely NOT.

Regardless of whatever the terms "waifu" or "husbando" may have meant when it first came about, they are now generally used to describe characters a person finds attractive. Whether it is sexually or emotionally or some other reason I-don't-know, "waifu" and "husbando" aren't used just to describe a favorite character. It is in the context of "I want my in-game self to marry this person" (as in, the player sees a player avatar as themselves and not just another character) or "I wish my (nonexistent) significant other was like this person" or even "this fictional character is basically my significant other". "Waifu" and "husbando" are used in the context of wanting someone to be your fictional "spouso".

I have several characters that I like, whom I consider to have personalities and characteristics that I find interesting. I do not find them "spouso" material at all, nor do I consider any player avatar to be "me". A person can like a character outside of relations to "themselves" such as being their "waifu/husbando" or "daughteru/sonnu". But I find that rarer nowadays. Not just in FE but in fandom in general.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Regardless of whatever the terms "waifu" or "husbando" may have meant when it first came about, they are now generally used to describe characters a person finds attractive. Whether it is sexually or emotionally or some other reason I-don't-know, "waifu" and "husbando" aren't used just to describe a favorite character. It is in the context of "I want my in-game self to marry this person" (as in, the player sees a player avatar as themselves and not just another character) or "I wish my (nonexistent) significant other was like this person" or even "this fictional character is basically my significant other". "Waifu" and "husbando" are used in the context of wanting someone to be your fictional "spouso".

I have several characters that I like, whom I consider to have personalities and characteristics that I find interesting. I do not find them "spouso" material at all, nor do I consider any player avatar to be "me". A person can like a character outside of relations to "themselves" such as being their "waifu/husbando" or "daughteru/sonnu". But I find that rarer nowadays. Not just in FE but in fandom in general.

Are you sure...?

I've seen several a person in Twitch chats, Twitter, etc. say "waifu" or "husbando" to refer to a favorite character, even if their reasoning is influenced by their love for the character in terms of their personality or backstory, even if that's the main reason and the appearance is secondary. I don't use the term myself at all and opt not to use it, so I know that does not necessarily mean liking a favorite character necessarily means a waifu, but I also don't feel confident in trusting the definition you've given as the only "correct" definition based on what I've witnessed. I guess it's just one of those things where a made-up word comes into existence somewhere, gets popular, then the word eventually gains multiple definitions that people attach to.

Edited by NoirCore

1 minute ago, NoirCore said:

Are you sure...?

I've seen several a person in Twitch chats say "waifu" or "husbando" to refer to a favorite character, even if their reasoning is influenced by their love for the character in terms of their personality or backstory, even if that's the main reason and the appearance is secondary. I don't use the term myself at all and opt not to use it, so I know that does not necessarily mean liking a favorite character necessarily means a waifu, but I also don't feel confident in trusting the definition you've given as the only "correct" definition based on what I've witnessed. I guess it's just one of those things where a made-up word comes into existence somewhere, gets popular, then the word eventually gains multiple definitions that people attach to.

I know a lot of people on the many sites I visit (including this one) that use the term jokingly, or at least in a rather light-hearted fashion to refer to a character they like a lot. It's pretty much a meme term in most circles. I mean heck, it's used in TMS #FE!

Maybe I'm not visiting the right places (I do not frequent Tumblr, for example); and while I've certainly heard of quite a few extreme cases, it's not something I feel I often run into.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

So tempting...

Do it!

I am not sure if it is better to go with +Spd or neutral Spd since Eldigan is kind of slow. In theory, +Spd should help prevent some doubles and help him survive, but since he is so slow, I am not sure if it matters, as slow units tend to be really slow Enemy Phase units running Quick Riposte, while fast units are Player Phase units and they will probably double Eldigan.

Why am I surprised the topic was still mostly about fanservice?

Eh... In any case waifu simply refers to a character you deem as one of your favourites and good enough to be your fictional 2D wife... Sad when not used in a meme/joking context, but I'm sure that's how most of the people using it are using it . But the reasons for calling a character a waifu can be anything, and of course this includes personality. How can it not? In fact, the circles I'm in most of the time if an anime girl is attractive but had the personality of a teaspoon she most certaintly wouldn't have many claims for waifu material. It doesn't have to be specific to their appearance, but of course for many people that's a significant factor.

Edited by Frenzify

I was somewhat expecting this batch of seasonals to carry some valor skills. Better!Chrom having sword valor leads me to believe we're getting a "round 2" of valor skills, with only sword valor in the regular summoning pool as usual. That's assuming there's no such thing as a Staff or Breath Valor, but since there isn't a Staff or Breath EXP or Breaker skills, I think that's a safe bet.

Hm...I'll wait for the statlines to make my decision concrete, but so far I'm thinking I'll pass. Beside not really caring much for Easter as a Holiday, I don't really need any of these units (especially green). The skills in general also aren't really that enticing to me.  While a ranged flier is neat, I'm sure more will come down the pipeline eventually for charactes I'm more than neutral to. 

The colorless dragon thought to (maybe) appear in the legendary banner has me much more interested, so I'll save orbs until I see what's going on there.

Edited by OmNomNom

8 hours ago, Sunwoo said:
  9 hours ago, NoirCore said:

I mean, isn't liking the personalities part of how people decide "waifus"? I think you may have a slightly different definition of "waifu" from what I usually hear. And I don't see too much of an issue of at least liking the character design but not the personality, or even caring about it.

8 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Regardless of whatever the terms "waifu" or "husbando" may have meant when it first came about, they are now generally used to describe characters a person finds attractive. Whether it is sexually or emotionally or some other reason I-don't-know

Wouldn't emotionally liking a character imply that they like the character because of the personality? Sorry, but you just kind of lost me there. You bold indicating that is your point of contention and then almost right away state something I see as agreeing with the point of contention. Either I misunderstood what the point of contention was, or I am failing to understand what you mean by emotionally.

But anyways while I don't use the term, when I do see it used personality does certainly come into play, at least on a basic level.

I don't care for the terms "waifu" and "husbando" personally. They're just too weird and silly for my tastes. That's why you see me use "favorite husband" instead when I mention Frederick. My Robin married him and always does. And I think he'd be one of the best husbands ever regardless. :P

I can't wait for the banner to drop tomorrow! I'm even tempted to stay up until 3AM for it, but that's SO late...

Edited by Anacybele

So this is how they sate demands for FEH OC upgrades for now? It'll work only partly, since character score bonuses may still use the original version and not these new ones. Throwing in an Archanean (who are tautologically obscure to some degree barring Marth), and a random Fates character. Different, not bad. But like all Seasonals, this is not of interest to me.

Have they said anything about rerunning Easter 2017? I haven't paid attention in a while.

And thats a lot fanservice derailment now that I notice it. But since IS has been doing male-slanted regular new character banners, I'm okay with it. Use Seasonals to compensate for any lady lacking in the normal ones. Not perfectly sensical, but it works.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Well, at this point it's not surprising the OCs finally got a summon, I'm just disappointed with Sharena. I prefer her in summer bikini rather than spring bunny  :dry:. Oh well, Fjorn is prettier anyway, we might see her in those instead 

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So this is how they sate demands for FEH OC upgrades for now? It'll work only partly, since character score bonuses may still use the original version and not these new ones. Throwing in an Archanean (who are tautologically obscure to some degree barring Marth), and a random Fates character. Different, not bad. But like all Seasonals, this is not of interest to me.

Have they said anything about rerunning Easter 2017? I haven't paid attention in a while.

I'll give you the random Fates character (although it may not be so random if they were looking for characters to fill out a bunny suit) but isn't Catria a pretty popular character with the Japanese, so not really obscure?

3 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

I'll give you the random Fates character (although it may not be so random if they were looking for characters to fill out a bunny suit) but isn't Catria a pretty popular character with the Japanese, so not really obscure?

In the most recent CYL, Catria placed #174, with 1479 votes. Palla, #296, got 729 votes, and Est, #507, got 233 votes.

So better than her sisters by far but not super popular. She belongs to an iconic trio though.

Just now, Thane said:

In the most recent CYL, Catria placed #174, with 1479 votes. Palla, #296, got 729 votes, and Est, #507, got 233 votes.

So better than her sisters by far but not super popular. She belongs to an iconic trio though.

Well, it's good to see people understand who the best Whitewing is. But regarding the CYL results she, like many others I'd assume, most notably Marth, was a victim of split voting, and three ways, at that.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There's currently the possibility of the next Voting Gauntlet being this year's spring banner and last year's spring banner, which would result in last year's banner coming back for a bit.

6 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

(although it may not be so random if they were looking for characters to fill out a bunny suit)

Peri or Orochi could also fill out a bunny suit.

2 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

Well, it's good to see people understand who the best Whitewing is. But regarding the CYL results she, like many others I'd assume, most notably Marth, was a victim of split voting, and three ways, at that.

You're right, I apologize; I forgot about that.

Catria's placements were: #174 (1479, Shadow Dragon), #195 (1316, Echoes), and #277 (801, New Mystery)

Palla's placements were: #296 (729, Echoes), #383 (476, Shadow Dragon), and #453 (304, New Mystery)

Est's placements were: #507 (233, Echoes), #537 (201, Shadow Dragon), and #650 (93, New Mystery).

That's...an ownage if I ever saw one.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

There's currently the possibility of the next Voting Gauntlet being this year's spring banner and last year's spring banner, which would result in last year's banner coming back for a bit.

Sounds like it'd be fun! Let the rage multiply like bunnies in heat! (Meaning all the time, that is why rabbits multiply so fast. That and a naturally high rate of genetic mutation mean inbreeding isn't such a problem; maybe Leo can have Spring!Camilla after all. And I can have Spring!Chrom!Owain!)

Because everyone would be fanservice in Bombastic Berserk Bunny Battalion Brigades Battle, there should hopefully be no sexualization toxicity developing there, since you can't point the finger at just one person.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Catria's placements were: #174 (1479, Shadow Dragon), #195 (1316, Echoes), and #277 (801, New Mystery)

Palla's placements were: #296 (729, Echoes), #383 (476, Shadow Dragon), and #453 (304, New Mystery)

Est's placements were: #507 (233, Echoes), #537 (201, Shadow Dragon), and #650 (93, New Mystery).

Well I stand corrected about Catria being obscure.

And this is pretty much how it has always been in gameplay. Palla's base and Str leads have always been outdone by Catria's greater potential (barring maybe FE3 B2), and Est has been junk.

And to think people say they like Ests, they clearly do not like the original at least. Nino yes, Est no.

I'm more of a Palla person myself.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Peri or Orochi could also fill out a bunny suit.

I mean, you're not wrong. And they both seem like they'd be happier about being in one, but then we'd have no Ninjabbit attacks and that would just be a crime.

Really, I'd absolute love Orochi in the game, but... later. That would just be too much that I'd really want in such a short time, with too few orbs.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

This is actually kind of funny, but I do feel bad for Est's popularity, or lack thereof, really. It's just amusing how all of Catria's placements are the best of the sisters, all of Palla's are in the middle, and all of Est's are at the bottom. If nothing else it makes the popularity ranking amongst the sisters pretty clear, at least as far as Heroes goes.

5 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

Really, I'd absolute love Orochi in the game, but... later. That would just be too much that I'd really want in such a short time, with too few orbs.

What Color to give her though? We know her stat spread would make her fall into the high Atk low Spd category of Tome users (15% Spd growth loses only to Benny and Gunter), And will she bring an, ideally inheritable, scroll from Fates with her? Rhajat not having one was something of a missed opportunity. I'd pick Snake Spirit (and Hayato can have Horse Spirit). Or maybe in honor of Snake Spirit, throw her one of those new -Serpent Tomes (they only share a name resemblance, but I don't care).

The whole deal with "waifus" "husbandos" and the like has always been pretty weird for me. I don't think there's a character in any work of fiction I would ever classify as that personally. It has a creepy air about it sometimes but it's mostly harmless fun. "Best girl/daughter/son/etc" is alright, it's all harmless but that's more mild for me in the scheme of things. I think there's probably only one character I would put "best girl" on if that was a thing I was doing.

Spoiler

rin_tohsaka_tg__requested___by_godelvia-

FEH x FGO crossover when? I want my red/blue mage Rin and my colorless Shiro/Archer.

Also Kagero is something most people are discussing but Alfonse has also just been brought to my attention... that's a rather absurd level of male fanservice if you know exactly what I'm talking about. I actually can't un-see it now. If I somehow pull him while going for Kagero, I'm glad the stats screen will be obscuring him somewhat.

23 hours ago, Frenzify said:

Text block ahoy! On the whole fanservice talk. Spoilered for length.

Reveal hidden contents

Guys, you've gotta take into consideration one simple thing, and I don't mean this in a condescending manner. But quite simply this kind of thing is successful. Yeah, there'll be people who don't like the fanservice, but there will be just as many who do, and those are the people being catered/pandered to. Make the art appealing, even if in an overtly sexual way (or perhaps especially in that case) and that audience will be more likely to dump their money on it. This is a company that wants to make money, and if they see an effective way to make money that doesn't exploit the customer (any more than gacha games already do) why wouldn't they continue doing it? Be it female fanservice or male fanservice, with seasonal, time-limited units you're gonna wanna appeal to the majority who'll spend money. It's the same reason why, while I understand the whole hate against Fateswakening over-attention, I completely get it, as it makes little sense from a business standpoint to ignore their most popular titles. Even then, now they're starting to show more attention to other games.

And you know what? I can't take the issue of there being more females in this banner than males seriously, because when you look back on the seasonals, they've all been half men, half women, apart from the bridal one, for obvious reasons. So treating this one seasonal banner as if the pandering to the male fans has gone mad is actually ridiculous. I've seen people all around talking about how Alphonse has got a straight up bulge going on, yet because boobs are on display in this banner, that has to take the brunt of the complaints?

I get that some people don't like fanservice, and I won't deny people the right to complain about it. But the way it's complained about sometimes feels like y'all think that's all this game is now. Of the seasonals, there was no real fanservice with the fallen heroes, at least not with Celica. Also, more men than women in that time, taking into account the TT. There was no real fanservice with New Years, despite Camilla being in it. And I don't consider her bit of cleavage as ungodly fanservice, unless we seriously want to get prudish. With Christmas, yeah, we had IS unfortunately milking the hell out of Tharja, but none really with Lissa. Before that was... yeah... Alright. I'll give you guys Nowi in the halloween banner. None with Sakura. Before that we had the dancers, but can we complain about that if it matches their dancer theme? Again, not unless we want to be prudish. We had swimsuits before that, which has fanservice for both sides, so I can't see any real valid complaints for one side of the other. Before that were brides, with no real revealing fanserivce. And before that was Spring where there was Camilla. But you know, Camilla's Camilla. This was the first seasonal banner and there wasn't nearly as much hate for her back then. In fact, I think people even rated her highly as a base unit. If you wanted to count Lucina in her bunny outfit, then at that point what would even be the point of the seasonals, if not to dress them up according to the theme?

I've seen people complain about female armour units, and the lack of practicality. Sheena is obviously the most practical, but seriously. Y'all need to take into account that this game needs to appeal to many, many different people, and without going straight up Winter Tharja on us, I'd say many of the female armour units do a good job at not being nothing but fanservice. The only thing I'd question if I had to is Amelia's skirt. But really, I've never seen such a repulsion for fanservice than in the Fire Emblem community. Whilst' annoying how it becomes such a big deal whenever it comes, it's honestly kind of impressive... in an annoying kind of way.

Getting out of seasonals, there are plenty of female units that don't offer blatant fanservice, yet the way I hear people go on about things, you'd think there was no such thing in Heroes.

This is a sad truth - just look at all the YouTubers who've reacted to the new trailer: I'm pretty sure everyone except Sagemaster gushed over Kagero at length. Eurgh...

I utterly despise fanservice, especially blatant fanservice, whether it sells or not. (Relatively) mild stuff like S!Alfonse and S!Sharena are okay for me (of course I'm aware others disagree), but Camilla and Kagero? Blergh.

As for the end of your comment, I think it's just the fact that the female fanservice is just so over the top that it sparks debate, even though there are decent female characters as well.

Back on the technical side of things, I'm also upset at Wo Dao Daggers and Axes being Seasonal only (on top of Takumi's Slayer Dagger). Hopefully we get normal versions of them soon.

Edited by DefyingFates

41 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Would it? The other seasonal voting gauntlets didn't bring back the seasonal banner that wasn't still running. Granted said banners had just ended, but there's no precedent for what you're saying.