What FE game should be Reworked?

Guest Dreamyboi

10 hours ago, Etheus said:

If they are to fix the Fates story, they could start by removing Revelation entirely. Fates was advertised entirely on the Birthright and Conquest choice, and that is where its strength should lie. The contrast of nature vs. nurture should define Corrin's character. 

To be honest, I don't think Revelations should be removed at all. Rather I think they need to really work to fix the issues that it does have, like remove the entire need for the murder mystery to be removed, and instead have plenty of world building involved, and make Revelations be the longer story of the other two paths chapterwise. 

Reason why I think Revelation should stay is because there are always those cases in games where characters have to choose a single side, whether it be fighting them or saving someone, there are many cases where they choose to try and save both. So there being a case of Corrin not choosing either side and finding the mastermind behind the scenes is good in my books. 

And it isn't like it's the true canon path. All three paths are canon still. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Dreamyboi said:

I've seen Blaze's playthrough of that game and I agree. Why don't we fix Sophia's chapter too while we're at it?

I already don't like Desert maps or Fog of war maps, having a combination of the two just to get one of the worst units in the series does not sound fun.

You know what's even more fun? When there are freaking Wyverns hiding in the fog. In a desert. Where all foot units can't move well so it's hard to keep a proper defensive formation to keep the squishies safe... I swear that chapter almost, ALMOST made me quit playing FE6.

Guest Dreamyboi
1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

You know what's even more fun? When there are freaking Wyverns hiding in the fog. In a desert. Where all foot units can't move well so it's hard to keep a proper defensive formation to keep the squishies safe... I swear that chapter almost, ALMOST made me quit playing FE6.

Ambush Wyverns too?! Fuck that shit.

3 minutes ago, Dreamyboi said:

Seriously. I hate that map. 
Oh, and that's of course leaving out the tiiiiny detail that you have to beat the thing in 15 turns or less AND Sophia has to survive in order to get the Gaiden chapter. Without the Gaiden chapter, the game ends after Zephiel, so no true ending for you!

Edited by DragonFlames

13 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Wait so I get hating the desert maps but do people really hate fog of war maps that much too?

I think they're quite fun...

Fog of War is only appreciated depending on the situation. 

I think Fog of War could be made better if they took from Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and made it so all the spaces a unit passes by while moving within their vision range is lit up for one turn, that was a huge boon of several DoR made to FoW (although making properties hiding places and changing the effects of rain were bad). I wouldn't mind if there were a few units/skills able to hide their location in FoW on certain terrain (like Thieves on Forests), but nowhere near as much hiding as in AW, Torch should be able to mitigate it, and the enemies that hide should not be that obnoxiously strong. No hiding Killer Bow Snipers on every single stray piece of forest!

59 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

To be fair man, staves are REALLY good in Thracia. Seriously, they are really really good. Giving them a chance to miss is a way of nerfing them, and before you say "why not just nerf the staves", know that doing that removes one of if not the most popular thing about the game. This being the various strategies that can be achieved using them.

It still is moronic, and does nothing but cross the line into irritating territory. And Thracia is bad enough as is...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Guest Dreamyboi
26 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Seriously. I hate that map. 
Oh, and that's of course leaving out the tiiiiny detail that you have to beat the thing in 15 turns or less AND Sophia has to survive in order to get the Gaiden chapter. Without the Gaiden chapter, the game ends after Zephiel, so no true ending for you!

Another game that desperately needs fixing.

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

As for which game needs a rework, of the ones I've played, I would have to pick Binding Blade:

• REMOVE AMBUSH SPAWNS!
  • make Gaiden chapters less cryptic to access
  • remove traces that this game is basically FE3 in another setting
  • make hit rates less wonky. This feels like Fates all over again
  • fix the f***ing unit balance
  • make legendary weapons unbreakable. I really don't see a reason why they should break in the first place. It only makes it so some players (like myself) never use them until the final chapter(s). And before any of you start anything: The Falchion, Ragnell and Alondite didn't break, either. Reaching A-rank is hard enough as it is.
  • make Fae's Dragonstone unbreakable. If not that, at least give it more durability and / or give us access to multiple stones.
  • Better yet, get rid of weapon durability entirely. Fates had the right idea, even though they botched it in places (like any weapon above C-rank being basically unusable) and I liked Echoes' incentive for using different weapons, so they've already proven that it can work.
  • and please, for the love of all things holy: change the map and battle themes up more often. Also change the map theme you play the most. The one you got is making me go insane.

The bolded stuff, i agree. The unit balance in particular can easily be fixed by not making every unit that joins an Est. And i don't know what it was with the GBA-era and having breakable Legendary Weapons.

Also, i'm gonna add to this but make Roy's promotion time earlier. That's legitimately the one thing that holds him back.

27 minutes ago, Dreamyboi said:

It's.....it's actually not that bad. Dieck with Wyrmslayer+Echidna deletes them easily.

26 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh, and that's of course leaving out the tiiiiny detail that you have to beat the thing in 15 turns or less AND Sophia has to survive in order to get the Gaiden chapter.

It's actually 25 turns or less.

28 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Wait so I get hating the desert maps but do people really hate fog of war maps that much too?

The issue with Fog of War is that it only affects you, not the enemy. If you run into an enemy during Fog of War, you're stopped in your tracks and there's nothing you can do about it. But if the enemy finds you, they get a free hit. It's at it's worse in Thracia because you can't even see the terrain. It's just pitch black darkness.

31 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Aside from what @Armagon said, fog of war deprives you of info needed to strategize well, and would likely enforce turtling.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The bolded stuff, i agree. The unit balance in particular can easily be fixed by not making every unit that joins an Est. And i don't know what it was with the GBA-era and having breakable Legendary Weapons.

Also, i'm gonna add to this but make Roy's promotion time earlier. That's legitimately the one thing that holds him back.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's.....it's actually not that bad. Dieck with Wyrmslayer+Echidna deletes them easily.

If you're playing the game for the first time without a guide, like I did, you have no way of knowing they're there until it's too late because of the Fog of Bullcrap. Also, Dieck's mobility is greatly hampered by the sand, so if he can actually reach a Wyvern if it shows up or not is a crapshoot at best. And if the Wyvern decides to attack you and you're unlucky enough to have someone they can kill in range, not even the best Dieck or Knuckles the Echidna can help.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's actually 25 turns or less.

Oh, sorry. My mistake. I could have sworn it was 15. Still a tight limit, though, due to sand mixed with F.O.E FoW.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

And i don't know what it was with the GBA-era and having breakable Legendary Weapons.

I haven't played FE6, and 20 uses per Divine Weapon is low, bumping it to 30 like the Sacred Twins might make them more balanced between too many and too few.

However, perhaps it was done because some Divine Weapons are obtained so early? Durandal is only nine fights in. Armads still has a little less than half the game, and Forblaze maybe a third. Having an infinite Durandal (albeit nobody would likely be able to use it right away since weapon ranks grow slowly here) without nerfing it in gameplay would be too strong. Actually, why not make it so upon Zephiel's death they all get a slight power boost and full durability restore? Since now they're all gathered together again and that power does reveal the Dragon Temple's location, it has an excuse for happening.

The rest of the DWs? They have less excuse for being so fragile because of how late they come.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The issue with Fog of War is that it only affects you, not the enemy. If you run into an enemy during Fog of War, you're stopped in your tracks and there's nothing you can do about it. But if the enemy finds you, they get a free hit.

Another thing Days of Ruin, and I believe Dual Strike, fixed. Enemies are forced to play by the same rules as you, as opposed to just having a clear advantage.

Although FE will always find FoW trickier than AW since if you lose a Medium Tank to an unseen Rocket in AW, it'll hurt for now, but you can buy a new one later, the same can't be said of FE units.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

If you're playing the game for the first time without a guide, like I did, you have no way of knowing they're there until it's too late because of the Fog of Bullcrap.

That was me except i still didn't have any trouble with the Wyverns. Honestly, that Bishop with Sleep gave me more trouble.

I'm not trying to defend Ch.14 btw. That chapter does suck. I just never had a problem with the Wyverns specifically.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh, sorry. My mistake. I could have sworn it was 15. Still a tight limit, though, due to sand mixed with F.O.E FoW.

Even then, it's not that bad. Ch.21 is way worse. 30 turn time limit but reinforcements don't stop coming. Doesn't help that Murdock is one of the strongest bosses in the series.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

However, perhaps it was done because some Divine Weapons are obtained so early? Durandal is only nine fights in. Armads still has a little less than half the game, and Forblaze maybe a third. Having an infinite Durandal (albeit nobody would likely be able to use it right away since weapon ranks grow slowly here) without nerfing it in gameplay would be too strong. Actually, why not make it so upon Zephiel's death they all get a slight power boost and full durability restore? Since now they're all gathered together again and that power does reveal the Dragon Temple's location, it has an excuse for happening.

Yeah, i think it was because you get some of them early. I like that power boost idea after Zephiel's death. It'd be similar to Awakening where you've got the Falchion in Ch.1 but it's pretty weak until a certain point.

Maybe a remake would let us use Eckesachs as well for an extra Legendary Weapon.

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

As for which game needs a rework, of the ones I've played, I would have to pick Binding Blade:

• REMOVE AMBUSH SPAWNS! Some of them could be non-ambush but others are fine as they are.
  • make Gaiden chapters less cryptic to access The requirements aren't too bad but they could certainly be clearer on them.
  • remove traces that this game is basically FE3 in another setting Tricky. It would require rewriting a lot of the story and changing established character design.
  • make hit rates less wonky. This feels like Fates all over again There are more factors than weapon hit rates but I agree.
  • fix the f***ing unit balance What's wrong with wendy and sophia?
  • make legendary weapons unbreakable. I really don't see a reason why they should break in the first place. It only makes it so some players (like myself) never use them until the final chapter(s). And before any of you start anything: The Falchion, Ragnell and Alondite didn't break, either. Reaching A-rank is hard enough as it is. None of those weapons were available in chapter 9.
  • make Fae's Dragonstone unbreakable. If not that, at least give it more durability and / or give us access to multiple stones. Functional fire stone Fae would be cool.
  • Better yet, get rid of weapon durability entirely. Fates had the right idea, even though they botched it in places (like any weapon above C-rank being basically unusable) and I liked Echoes' incentive for using different weapons, so they've already proven that it can work. It's setting dependent and some weapons are downright busted without durability. In a game that gives you S-rank weapons as early as chapter 9 that doesn't work.
  • and please, for the love of all things holy: change the map and battle themes up more often. Also change the map theme you play the most. The one you got is making me go insane. please no more earlygame music in chapter 15/16/17A

Responses in bold.

11 hours ago, Etheus said:

Agreed. Shadow Dragon was boring. I mean, don't get me wrong. The map design is a hell out of a lot better than the trainwreck that is Gaiden/SoV, but the lack of story and characterization, lack of objective variety, and dated mechanics really make it a disappointment.

I wouldn't call the game boring, especially not on the higher difficulties, but I agree Marth's saga could use another chance. The updated script helped develop a scant few characters and is glorious to read at times, but it's still extremely limited. Certain maps also feel empty, I could see more non-seize maps, and villages being Marth only is at times frustrating. With two/three source games to work off and the precedents modern titles set for characters and presentation they could make it the epic it was meant to be!

The biggest thing that needs to be addressed, however, is that we need to get Book 2 outside of Japan.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I haven't played FE6, and 20 uses per Divine Weapon is low, bumping it to 30 like the Sacred Twins might make them more balanced between too many and too few.

The rest of the DWs? They have less excuse for being so fragile because of how late they come.

I like this idea.
Though the "you get them early" argument falls flat when you consider how late you get the proper weapon ranks to even use them with (I think it was A. Or was there an S-rank in FE6? I don't remember).
Edit: It WAS S-rank. Never mind!

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That was me except i still didn't have any trouble with the Wyverns. Honestly, that Bishop with Sleep gave me more trouble.

I'm not trying to defend Ch.14 btw. That chapter does suck. I just never had a problem with the Wyverns specifically.

I had so much trouble with 14, I don't even remember the Bishop :P
I remember the Wvyerns so vividly because they were at fault for most of my resets. The rest of that map was hell, too, though.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Even then, it's not that bad. Ch.21 is way worse. 30 turn time limit but reinforcements don't stop coming. Doesn't help that Murdock is one of the strongest bosses in the series.

I admit I zoned out halfway through the game and thus forgot the chapters after Ilia. I only got fully invested again once I actually managed to cheat the legendary weapons into my convoy so I wouldn't have to play the game twice meet the requirements to access the true final chapter and Idoun's backstory came into light.
I faintly remember Perceval as the MVP for most of the later chapters, though.

8 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Responses in bold.

You raise some excellent points.

As for the ongoing Shadow Dragon discussion: I love Shadow Dragon and I want a remake of FE3 as well, if only because I only played a translated Rom of FE12.

Edited by DragonFlames

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Though the "you get them early" argument falls flat when you consider how late you get the proper weapon ranks to even use them with

By the time you get Durandal, Dieck should be at A-rank with swords. Promote him and gets S-rank upon promotion. If anyone is an early candidate for Durandal usage, it's him. Rutger too.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

By the time you get Durandal, Dieck should be at A-rank with swords. Promote him and gets S-rank upon promotion. If anyone is an early candidate for Durandal usage, it's him. Rutger too.

I think I really need to play FE6 again. I remember so little about it, it's frustrating.
The things I listed that needed to be changed for me are the things I remember having the most problems with during my time with the game (which was a whopping one playthrough).

Edited by DragonFlames

16 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

The biggest thing that needs to be addressed, however, is that we need to get Book 2 outside of Japan.

This really applies to all the games that are Japan only.

I want to own them all so bad.

Edited by Mad-manakete
accidental early post.

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I think I really need to play FE6 again. I remember so little about it, it's frustrating.
The things I listed that needed to be changed for me are the things I remember having the most problems with during my time with the game (which was a whopping one playthrough).

Binding Blade's always frustrating the first time, but it becomes muscle memory with each playthrough. It's still the hardest of the GBA-era FE games but it's not Conquest or anything like that.

Also, on the subject of Binding Blade, i can't believe no one ever mentioned this but speed up the Support gains. Like, Roy x Lilina can be maxed out in a chapter but for literally every other character? Ooooh boy. In the amount of time it takes for other characters to build up their Support ranks, i could probably beat Xenoblade 1 and 2 like three times each and probably still have time to get a playthrough of Xenogears in. That's a massive exaggeration but you get the point.

Edited by Armagon

Genealogy is the most obvious one. Both because it deserves a second chance but also because it got some flaws that really need to be addressed. 

-The biggest fix that should be made is the mechanic for doubling. That you require the pursuit skill to double and hence to be useful is complete nonsense. 

-The lover system should be completely reworked. As it stands now the player isn't really in control over who marries who. You can influence it to be sure but if the game decides that Dew and Adean will hook up despite an entire playthrough of gluing Adean to Jamuka's side there is nothing the player can do against it. Just use the A till S support system. Its more reliable and less clunky. 

-Less pony emblem! Either nerf the pony riders, buff those that can't get a pony or bombard you with enemies that wield anti pony weapons.  End the tyranny of the pony riders!

- I'm actually not sure what they should do with the giant map. Just porting over the genealogy maps with better graphics would be a mistake but surely there could be better solutions then shrinking them. Why not just increase the amount of stuff you can do on those maps?

- Castles could be a tad more ambitious if the huge maps remain. Right now they are pretty similar to thrones but they can be more interesting. Have an actual wall surround the castle so you need to burst through the gates, perhaps conquer a stairway and only then face the boss on his throne. 

- I read arguments about the Holy weapons needed to be nerfed but I'm really not a fan of that idea. Legendary weapons are supposed to be legendary and in Jugdral they are. Rather than a balance issue I consider this to be an example where the lore is incorporated into the gameplay. I'd rather have to powerful legendary weapons than those that are underwhelming. 

-Same with magic. Everyone except Ares and the Tyfring wielders having crap resistance is a confirmation of just how big a deal magic is in Jugdral and so the average resistance stat on the continent should remain zero. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Shadow Dragon may be my favorite, but the new mechanics and the difficulties don't work well at all. The game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up entirely.

14 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

• REMOVE AMBUSH SPAWNS!
  • make Gaiden chapters less cryptic to access
  • remove traces that this game is basically FE3 in another setting
  • make hit rates less wonky. This feels like Fates all over again
  • fix the f***ing unit balance
  • make legendary weapons unbreakable. I really don't see a reason why they should break in the first place. It only makes it so some players (like myself) never use them until the final chapter(s). And before any of you start anything: The Falchion, Ragnell and Alondite didn't break, either. Reaching A-rank is hard enough as it is.
  • make Fae's Dragonstone unbreakable. If not that, at least give it more durability and / or give us access to multiple stones.
  • Better yet, get rid of weapon durability entirely. Fates had the right idea, even though they botched it in places (like any weapon above C-rank being basically unusable) and I liked Echoes' incentive for using different weapons, so they've already proven that it can work.
  • and please, for the love of all things holy: change the map and battle themes up more often. Also change the map theme you play the most. The one you got is making me go insane.

Agreed with this. Especially the unit balance. It's Genealogy of the Holy War-level bad. Axes are pretty much universally terrible, and the axe infantry suck. And the game in general has the problem of one unit just invalidating the others in their class. The worst cases by far are Oujay, Noah, Treck, Wendy, Fir, Sophia and Zeiss, whom are unfortunate enough to come after superior units that share their classes. Also, there's the music. For one, the one boss theme that sees a lot of use is boring. Second, more variety in map themes.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Binding Blade or Geneology of the holy war I feel could benefit the greatest from a remake.

BB due to Roy's popularity, would be great to finally have his game in the US.

Geneology because its a fan favorite game for alot of people, and would be a great option for an echoes style remake of keeping its core design intact, while making mechanical improvements where necessary.

Going to strongly disagree on removal of big maps for Genealogy, that is the most appealing gameplay aspect about it it gives a scale and scope more fitting for grand war.  What should be done is an increase to movement accross the board, and other gameplay tweaks.  If they remove the big maps, that would be terrible, it would just be like every other small map fire emblem game.  

1 hour ago, Faellin said:

Binding Blade or Geneology of the holy war I feel could benefit the greatest from a remake.

BB due to Roy's popularity, would be great to finally have his game in the US.

Geneology because its a fan favorite game for alot of people, and would be a great option for an echoes style remake of keeping its core design intact, while making mechanical improvements where necessary.

This.  I should note that Genealogy is a fan favorite not only cause of its story, but because people love the big maps and holy blood/skills and much of how the game plays bugs and all.  If you change that you might as well call it another game, that is just copying the story.  It would alienate many fans of the game, I certainly wouldn't give it a second look and see it as a slap in the face to the true fans of the game.