Awakening DLC Famitsu Scans

Azz

1 minute ago, Otts486 said:

Y’know I’ve always wondered why olivia was the third character chosen. I mean owain and tharja I get cause tharja was the third most popular female character and owain was the most popular male child. While Olivia is indeed popular(placing 8th on the female popularity poll) , I’m wondering why she was chosen over say Severa or Inigo. 

I think Owain has fulfilled not only the child's spot, but also the one for being a cross-Awakening/Fates character. Leo and Niles even discussed this in their support conversation. Severa or Inigo would be redundant for narrative purpose.

As for why isn't it another parent character... I don't know. Maybe playstyle. Olivia's back-handed weapon seems to suggest she will be getting a unique moveset.

4 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I'm curious if Gangrel will be played by Darios in either Tharja or Olivia's maps. Or if somebody will be Campari in the former's.

I can see Darios reprising Gangrel's role. Maybe Olivia's map will ignore Campari, since it's Gangrel who gives a bigger impression in that map anyway.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

Y’know I’ve always wondered why olivia was the third character chosen. I mean owain and tharja I get cause tharja was the third most popular female character and owain was the most popular male child. While Olivia is indeed popular(placing 8th on the female popularity poll) , I’m wondering why she was chosen over say Severa or Inigo. 

There's a very cheeky reason they chose Olivia and it's prominent in her character art.

Just now, Anomalocaris said:

There's a very cheeky reason they chose Olivia and it's prominent in her character art.

The main reason is actually because Olivia is our only choice for a Dancer Rep, especially since Azura is very atypical in terms of Dancer units (Lance instead of Sword, water powers, more of a Singer than a Dancer).

Olivia thus also fills the spot for "unit with a moveset that didn't exist before this DLC".

Tharja and Owain meanwhile are popular characters who can easily be saddled with an existing moveset.

3 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

That and probably because, as a dancer, she lends herself to a new (sigh) sword moveset better than Severa. And obviously it would just be RIDICULOUS to have a new axe wyvern with Cherche or a new mage moveset with Tharja. gotta think about weapon balance, you know!

5 minutes ago, Folt said:

The main reason is actually because Olivia is our only choice for a Dancer Rep, especially since Azura is very atypical in terms of Dancer units (Lance instead of Sword, water powers, more of a Singer than a Dancer).

Olivia thus also fills the spot for "unit with a moveset that didn't exist before this DLC".

Tharja and Owain meanwhile are popular characters who can easily be saddled with an existing moveset.

4 minutes ago, r_n said:

That and probably because, as a dancer, she lends herself to a new (sigh) sword moveset better than Severa. And obviously it would just be RIDICULOUS to have a new axe wyvern with Cherche or a new mage moveset with Tharja. gotta think about weapon balance, you know!

I mean, considering they've said as much that the reason they chose Linde last pack was for her feet, and called attention to Tharja's chest in the preview footage, I'm pretty sure that moveset design and balance is secondary to them.

Edited by Anomalocaris

1 minute ago, Anomalocaris said:

I mean, considering they've said as much that the reason they chose Linde last pack was for her feet, I'm pretty sure that moveset design and balance is secondary to them.

that same interview also stated they considered a number of other characters and went with Linde partially due to weapon balance reasons. They considered Merric but in their defense, Merric is dull.

god we could have gotten a lance cavalier dang it.........

2 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I mean, considering they've said as much that the reason they chose Linde last pack was for her feet, I'm pretty sure that moveset design and balance is secondary to them.

You could say it was a defining Feeture.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Cease and ban yo self.

On a more serious note, I'm happy Olivia is in. I hope she has good support options though, like I really want her and Azura or her and Niles.

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Not to step on your toes or anything, but now you must understand the pun game is afoot. And I am the sole champion of those.

Anyway, regardless of my criticisms of the reasons for Olivia's inclusion, I should at least note that I do like her as a character and am looking forward to seeing her moveset and Supports. I'm not a total heel.

Edited by Anomalocaris

12 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

The moveset design has actually been pretty on-point. Wyvern Riders fight like Wyvern Riders. Mages fight like Mages, Archers fight like Archers and so on (just exaggerated for Musou), and they're generally class-based.

Right now, we basically have these movesets, used by these unique characters:

Aytolisian Lord: Rowan, Lianna, and Darios

Ylissean Lord: Chrom and Lucina

Mage/Dark Mage: Robin, Tharja, Validar, Iago, and Gharnef

War Cleric: Lissa

Great Knight: Frederick

Nohr Princess/Prince: Corrin

Myrmidon: Ryoma and Owain

Archer: Takumi, Sakura, Niles, and Anna

Soldier: Oboro

Cavalier: Xander

Wyvern Rider: Camilla and Minerva

Dark Knight: Leo and Elise

Lodestar: Marth and Celica

Pegasus Knight: Caeda, Hinoka, and Cordelia

Manakete: Tiki

Mercenary: Navarre and Lyn

Songstress: Azura

Archanean Mage: Linde

Dancer: Olivia

With the movesets repping a multitude of typical FE classes (and some unique ones).

Edited by Folt

4 minutes ago, Azz said:

Cease and ban yo self.

On a more serious note, I'm happy Olivia is in. I hope she has good support options though, like I really want her and Azura or her and Niles.

Xander/Olivia could be amazing if its about Laslow. "Gosh, I hope my son never acts like that!"

1 hour ago, Azz said:

-Level cap raised to 150

-New blessing called Infinial Blessing, which raises all enemy levels to 150

-A new weapon skill that raises normal weapon power to the same as personal weapon (720)

-You can reset character level to 1 in exchange for materials

-Another new blessing called Strategist Blessing which means your controlled characetrs can't deal damage but NPCs will fight a lot better as a result.

I really like these.

-- Level cap raises are whatever, just more grinding.

-- Infinial Blessing means there's actually a game to play once you've maxed everyone out. I've always wanted to see patches for RPGs that make you run through an entire game with your fully-decked out units (NG+ or otherwise) and where the enemies are similarly maxed out. Heroes comes close, I suppose.

-- 720 power on any weapon is basically a graphic mod, so yay.

-- Deleveling is another way to replay the game without having to unlock everything again, woo. Would be better to just let the player pick a current level and a temporary cap, but this is okay. Handicapping is always a good thing.

-- Strategist Blessing sounds neat, should essentially turn it into an RTS-lite where you yourself can run around and distract enemies or activate switches and whatnot. Would be great if you could limit the damage restriction to one character if you've got, say, an expert playing with a beginner.

Also looking forward to Almost Nude Emblem and three of my favorites from Awakening.

9 minutes ago, Folt said:

The moveset design has actually been pretty on-point. Wyvern Riders fight like Wyvern Riders. Mages fight like Mages, Archers fight like Archers and so on (just exaggerated for Musou), and they're generally class-based.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The movesets themselves are fine, I mean that between Tharja being a Robin clone and Olivia being yet another sword infantry, it seems like movesets are coming second to sex appeal in KT's priorities.

Which I guess is inevitable in a game like this since it's more marketable, but I'm still kinda bitter we still never got an armor knight, lance cavalry, or bow cavalry moveset.

Edited by Anomalocaris

I feel like the max level thing shouldn't be a blessing, since you have to pop it every single map. Like I will never use it, to be clear, but there's a lot of people pretty excited about it and it jus tseems like...like it should be an unlockable option, or something.

30 minutes ago, r_n said:

god we could have gotten a lance cavalier dang it.........

I still wish we had. RIP Camus, Abel, and Silas... And possibly Cain and Stahl too.

Edited by Anacybele

Guess I was right on the money. Unique Olivia with Robin and Ryoma clones. I figured Fates getting 2 uniques to cover the introduction of infantry lances was a one off thing. Even though it's as expected, I'm still a bit disappointed since I really want to use Thrarja but I don't actually like Robin's moveset that much. Hopefully Olivia's moveset is nice.

Lissa getting a costume for Emm is pretty neat, though honestly I'm not feeling the costumes overall. At least Cordelia's is ok, and better than her basic promotion costume in my opinion. I found that one particularly ugly..

And hopefully those new skills do indeed help mixed stat units like Celica be a little stronger.

42 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

And the cheeky reason is very appealing specially to someone like me.

The dancer moveset looks like will be funny to see xD

1 minute ago, Anomalocaris said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The movesets themselves are fine, I mean that between Tharja being a Robin clone and Olivia being yet another sword infantry, it seems like movesets are coming second to sex appeal.

Which I guess is inevitable in a game like this, but I'm still kinda bitter we still never got an armor knight, lance cavalry, or bow cavalry moveset.

Tharja's abilities as a whole is like the other dark mages, which Robin's moveset already covers (Fire, Thunder, Wind, Light, and Dark). What differences she does have can be covered by the Special, Awakening Finisher, and Dual Special attacks. As such, Tharja is a good choice as both a popular character, and as one of the characters to take a pre-existing moveset since Robin's moves are well within her capabilities to do.

Olivia is honestly our best shot at a unique didn't-already-exist-in-the-game-whether-playable-or-unplayable moveset in part because we do not have a traditional FE Dancer and Olivia is that kind of Dancer.

It's kind of why the thieves and the staff users have been using other class movesets (besides Lissa whose War Cleric abilities had to be represented with it's own moveset) because the thing that usually sets them apart from other classes lie in stats and utility features (represented by having staves as equippable items for healers and being able to open chests without a key for thieves).

The costumes in this pack are probably the most serious. Cordelia and Lissa are different promotion routes and Chrom gets perhaps the best costume in the game. Though, the Corrins getting the other route's promotions were also serious. Lucina's is the only really goofy/fanservice costume and it wasn't even in the pack. 

9 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

The costumes in this pack are probably the most serious. Cordelia and Lissa are different promotion routes and Chrom gets perhaps the best costume in the game. Though, the Corrins getting the other route's promotions were also serious. Lucina's is the only really goofy/fanservice costume and it wasn't even in the pack. 

Bride is actually a class in Awakening though that her outfit is modeled after. 

Really, the only not "serious" outfits are the Shadow Dragon DLC costumes with the wedding outfits. Everything else is modeled after something from the games. Well, Caeda's dress is based on her Heroes one, so I guess that counts too.

2 minutes ago, dmurr said:

Bride is actually a class in Awakening though that her outfit is modeled after. 

Really, the only not "serious" outfits are the Shadow Dragon DLC costumes with the wedding outfits. Everything else is modeled after something from the games. Well, Caeda's dress is based on her Heroes one, so I guess that counts too.

I know they're actual classes, but I still wouldn't consider Bride a serious class. Butler and Maid are also kind of silly as combat classes no matter their utility not to mention, none of them are in their direct promotion tree (unless Lucina's final form is bride class).