What do you think will be the next "main" persona game?

Dinar87

What do you think will be the next "main" persona game?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What could it be?

• Persona 6
    • A remake.
    • Something else...
  2. 2. When will we see a trailer?

• This year.
    • Next year or the year after.
    • In a very long time.

So I'm getting Persona 5 for my birthday in may, and if you couldn't tell based on my avatar pic, I'm very excited to play it!

But I'm also watching a playthrough of persona 3 fes which has also made me wish for a persona 3 remake, since I'd love to experience that game in beautiful, remade HD graphics and stuff. Though I'll be fine with whatever they make really, as long as it plays like a persona game and isn't bad.

Because I'm so new to the series (and atlus in general) I thought I'd make this topic to get an idea of how long these things usually take to be developed.

What do you think we'll see eventually? How long do you think it'll take before we see something big?

3 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

I'd say, maybe an announcement this Winter?

That'd be awesome, as by then I'd of probably finished persona 5 for the most part, as I think I'll love it as much as fire emblem and metroid (my two favorite series).

Persona 6, ha! Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We still have two Dancing All Nights, and a persona Q to get through. My guess is that the next Persona game announced will be a Persona 4 Arena: Take Your Heart edition. The cast of 5 knew what they were signing up for by being in a new game. Four or more spinoffs is right there in their contract.

Hmm, I think it will take a while for the next Persona Game.
I mean Persona 4 came out 2008 as a reminder how far Persona 4 was away from Persona 5 in time of release.
The only difference is that the Persona hype train started rather late I think. So it could also be possible that the next Persona will come a bit faster. 

I wish that they would make a new experimental Game like Catherine, which was also from the Persona studio. 
But after they made the Remaster which comes out soon I think that this has a rather small chance.

Persona 3 remake seems fairly likely to me, with the Dancing game they're advertising it hard as almost like a "you ready to see them in HD before we remaster 3?"

33 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

It's called SMT 5 and it's not a persona game. 

this is like if a kid asks his mom "what are we having for dinner today?" and the mom says "actually we're eating out for lunch tomorrow"

18 minutes ago, unique said:

this is like if a kid asks his mom "what are we having for dinner today?" and the mom says "actually we're eating out for lunch tomorrow"

And instead of country fried chicken, it's fried oreos. Both are fried foods, but totally different in nature. You could go further and says its country fried chicken vs. takoyaki (Japanese octopus-flavored fried doughballs), but that might be taking it a little too far since the combat system is generally shared through both series.

I think SMT and Persona have separate development teams, so SMTV should only to a small degree if at all affect the coming of the next Persona.

I know Atlus is small, but between Etrian, SMT, Persona, and its Dancing spinoffs, how many teams can it have and of what size?

And yes, my mention of takoyaki is thanks to Mr. Hotsuin the second best route in DS2 (I think you know which I like the most). Never mind I tried to kill him several times and defy his monopoly on the information and power in apocalyptic Japan, Ronaldo I've come to see is just that much worse. Normally I prefer the Neutral outcomes to SMTs, but eh. Yamato might be arrogant, but he's otherwise likable.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, unique said:

You right

57 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And instead of country fried chicken, it's fried oreos. Both are fried foods, but totally different in nature. You could go further and says its country fried chicken vs. takoyaki (Japanese octopus-flavored fried doughballs), but that might be taking it a little too far since the combat system is generally shared through both series.

I think SMT and Persona have separate development teams, so SMTV should only to a small degree if at all affect the coming of the next Persona.

I know Atlus is small, but between Etrian, SMT, Persona, and its Dancing spinoffs, how many teams can it have and of what size?

And yes, my mention of takoyaki is thanks to Mr. Hotsuin the second best route in DS2 (I think you know which I like the most). Never mind I tried to kill him several times and defy his monopoly on the information and power in apocalyptic Japan, Ronaldo I've come to see is just that much worse. Normally I prefer the Neutral outcomes to SMTs, but eh. Yamato might be arrogant, but he's otherwise likable.

A lot of the older MegaTen staff went to work on Persona and that's it for them, well now that Studio Zero exists, most older Atlus staffers work on Re:Fantasy now.

Neutral or bust imo

I think it's probably going to take a long time till we have any news of a new persona, I mean, there are still some spin-offs coming up, not to mention the anime series in April this year. Also I heard that Atlus is working on a new project, so I would be patient if I were you

Unlikely until an upgrade version Persona 5 is released. Persona 5 is way too popular for them not to milk it for years. For example, just yesterday they announced DLC characters for the dancing games, which include fan favorites such as Akechi and Shinjiro, but it also odd choices such as Sho and Labrys. It shows they’re still planning to milk P3 and P4. There’s also the anime, the Persona Q2, possibly an Arena game, they still haven’t made any Drama CDs yet, which they most certainly will, there’s the Mobile App game that was recently released, I’ve been hearing rumors they’re planning to something with Akechi as well, which considering how ridiculously popular he is, only losing to Joker in popularity, and with Akechi being the fandom’s current problem child, which always bring a lot of money,  it’s very likely that Atlus has plans for Akechi. They won’t leave a potential cash cow like him alone. The odd things was, I’ve heard this rumors from his haters rather than his fans. 

Either way, there’s still a lot of milking, and I do mean a lot, before they move to P6.  I would say we will have to about 3 to 4 years to get a new Persona game. If I were to guess, Persona 6 will be released in 2021 or 2022.

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Either way, there’s still a lot of milking, and I do mean a lot, before they move to P6.

Why do I think this will be to some extent a predictable thing for modern gaming? Perhaps it is because video games nowadays take a lot of resources to make, and thus via reuse of old assets both digital and in terms of character and plot ("writing" resources), so companies want to get as much bang for their buck if possible with a grandiose game they invested a lot of time, effort, and money in. Is FFXV the same?

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

The odd things was, I’ve heard this rumors from his haters rather than his fans. 

I would say that is because haters hate all the attention he will be getting and are predicting the worst they can imagine. They're rumors of loathing, not of love.

I'll pay slight attention to PQ2, but I hope it doesn't delay this Etrian Odyssey "celebration" Atlus has said is in the works or an EO3U for Switch.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I would say that is because haters hate all the attention he will be getting and are predicting the worst they can imagine. They're rumors of loathing, not of love.

Thing is, there might be a kernel of truth in that, because there were some interesting hints, for example when Atlus registered domain names for P5 spin-offs, one of them was P5ag, which are Akechi’s initials, granted the “a” could be Arena, but there aren’t a lot of words that starts with G that fits arena, plus there’s a domain registered P5u, which is very likely to mean Ultimax. Back on subject, another hint according to the guys who told me, is in a magazine interview, the developers were talking about the final events of the game, and when it seems that they were going to continue, they cut it off with an image of Akechi’s cut in, and I did se the magazine’s picture, so I know they’re telling the truth. So perhaps those haters are onto something.

Changing the subject back to the domains, there were lot of P5 domain name registered, so you might be onto something when you said that milking is becoming a recent trend.

They'll have to make a P6 eventually, though judging from past experience, that would most likely not happen for a few years. PQ2 and P3/5D are already confirmed, so maybe a chronological sequel to P5 seeing past indicators for P3/4? On the other hand, I wonder if P6 would be set overseas - maybe a Japanese expat/immigrant community in San Francisco, or an international school in say, London or Paris?

Edited by henrymidfields

I'm in the minority who really liked PQ, and as hyped as I am for PQ2, I think the next announced one will be P6. Atlus has just had such a big hit with 5, they'd be doing their wallets such a disservice to not at least announce it first!

On 3/22/2018 at 7:43 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why do I think this will be to some extent a predictable thing for modern gaming? Perhaps it is because video games nowadays take a lot of resources to make, and thus via reuse of old assets both digital and in terms of character and plot ("writing" resources), so companies want to get as much bang for their buck if possible with a grandiose game they invested a lot of time, effort, and money in. Is FFXV the same?

Eh. Game companies have been doing this for a long time. The Dawn of 3D has made it a bit more obvious(Think Majora's Mask. It used a ton of reused OoT assets, and was made in about a year). 

FFXV has become a cow to milk, though. Game's been out for a year and a half, and Square is still releasing content for it and still shoving XV characters into whatever will take them. This is definitely more modern Square. The first FF that the milked super hard was X, and that amounted to a sequel. Come FFXIII, a game people didn't even really like, and Lightning is EVERYWHERE, there are two sequels, and XV was supposed to be another XIII offshoot. 

I do think it'd be for the better for Square to do what they used to, where they made a game and moved on, but eh. 

Anyway. Yes, next Persona game will definitely be another dancing game or something similar. I'm skeptical over remakes, since they haven't really made any sort of remakes for Persona. Enhanced ports and re-releases, but not remakes. 

If they went the remake route, I'd be down with Persona 2. As much as Persona 3 is the inception of "modern Persona", 5 did a few things that felt like they were testing waters to see if their audience would accept classic SMT mechanics in Persona. The answer was a resounding "Yes", so a game that bridges the gap between mainline SMT and Persona even more(Like Persona 2) would make more sense to me.