The ^ < v game

Dragoncat

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

^ Doesn't seem to like the idea of people being creative and wanting characters in smash. Our made up movesets don't get put in the game, so we can have fun on our own, right? Besides, Sakurai can be almost as bad as us sometimes, just look at Ganondorf!

Not quite. My issue isn't the concept of people being creative or wishing for less-known or less-likely characters(though there are PLENTY of eyebrow-raisers), it's that most of the movesets I see aren't even creative, they're just character A + Move from Series A + Move from X-over B that character A was loosely associated with + Move that has no relation to character A(usually the Up Special since not every character has a ready-made vertical recovery move in their own game and this move is made up half the time just for Smash anyways Captain Falcon) + Final Smash is somehow the only move/thing/random motion that character A ACTUALLY USED(Tilts are really not that hard, it's just 'kick forward'; 'kick forward but lower'; etc.) + ignore everything that would allow the character to be more than just a far-off dream. If more people actually did serious research about making sure they had a fully fleshed-out moveset instead of the aforementioned four-moves-plus-Final-Smash-equals-in-the-game formula the VAST majority of fans subscribe to, I would have fewer issues with the subject, instead being limited to the WTF moments everyone has when someone goes 'hey guys, look at this moveset for Freddy from Five Nights, he should totally be in this game!' or 'hey, look, I came up with a couple moves for Ridley, he should totally be in this game even though Sakurai's pretty much already put his foot down and said no on this issue!' or some other equally ridiculous shpiel, though I will admit the ridiculousness level differs depending on the viewer - I personally think anyone asking for Daisy is out of their mind, but you might find that a reasonable request.
The reason nobody's seen me go off about it before is that I try to keep from getting mad because not everyone pays as close attention to how surprisingly complex a moveset can be - my 15-year-old sister, for example, still has difficulty remembering there are both A attacks and B attacks, while my 19-year-old brother is working on becoming an actual tournament player and I would like to get the chance to work on a Smash-Bros.-type game in the future so the two of us are more studious when inspecting a character so we can obtain a better grasp of the individual quirks of said character, like how Falco in Melee requires very little skill compared to many other fighters to play decently as long as you know to throw out random attack inputs like once every two seconds, or how Ike in Sm4sh is a very fundamental character good for those who want to practice the basic maneuvers of Smash who can also take advantage of footstooling($10 says your average Smash player coming up with four-move movesets online doesn't even know what that phrase means btw) to pull off some sick damage racking as Izaw showed in his Art of Smash Art of Ike video.
The reason I went off about it here is because I saw someone come up with the awful Alm moveset-wannabe I mentioned and it just kind of broke me - there's so much potential in a character like Alm, as he could easily be made to be a mix between Marth and Ike but with the Bow as a Neutral B option granting him a decent out against projectile campers, something the Fire Emblem fighters really don't have, but the guy wanted to just throw out a couple specials, only one of which Alm actually had anything to do with, and a Final Smash that's basically just Robin's Pair Up instead of, say, Scendscale, his own personal ultimate move from his game.

Sorry for that rant, I'll try to stay on-Topic now that I've got that out of my system!

^ Has quite possibly the most intriguing, perplexing, and curiosity-piquing Avatar in the entire Forum(seriously, dude, what does it even mean?!)

< Is indeed wondering just how, but also isn't really all that concerned as he's something of a Grammar Nazi himself(Heil Webster!)

v Will probably get after me for the Heil joke…or not, most people on here don't seem to actually care all that much.

Edited by SoulWeaver

I'll get after you for that blocky wall of text. Paragraphs, my man! Press enter! Y'know, the key under backspace and above shift?

Let's stop with the grammar now, shall we?

^ Seems like a very serious smash player.

< In the meantime, last time I had friends over (yesterday), I spent two whole matches spamming Wario's bike while screaming "DA BIKE! DA BIKE! You cannot defeat DA BIKE! DA BIKE!".

I had too much fun that day (yesterday).

I also "main" Luigi. I'm not sure if that's related to me being as casual a smash player as it gets, I just like the character a lot.

v In order to change the subject radically from grammar and smash, will start talking about... popsicles!

^May not realize that Popsicles were created accidentally by Frank Epperson, as a child, when he left a cup of soda with a stick in it outside on a winter night. The following day, he discovered the newborn treat and dubbed them as "eppsicles". When he later made the desserts for his children, they referred to them as "popsicles" (pop's [ic]icles), which is what they are known as to this day.

<Wrote the previous response from memory, excluding the fact that he had to look up the first name of the humble popsicle's creator.

vIs as serious about the difference between true popsicles and chocolate-covered ice cream bars on sticks as I am.

^ No, but that's only because I'm not picky about what frozen desert I get to eat. For the record, I never thought that popsicles or ice cream bars were the same thing.

<Has a giant bad@$$ scar on my back, and now has to wear a shirt when swimming so as not to scare people.

V Thinks the above fact is disgusting, awesome, or really doesn't care.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll get after you for that blocky wall of text. Paragraphs, my man! Press enter! Y'know, the key under backspace and above shift?

^ Seems like a very serious smash player.

< In the meantime, last time I had friends over (yesterday), I spent two whole matches spamming Wario's bike while screaming "DA BIKE! DA BIKE! You cannot defeat DA BIKE! DA BIKE!".

I had too much fun that day (yesterday).

I also "main" Luigi. I'm not sure if that's related to me being as casual a smash player as it gets, I just like the character a lot.

Whoops, knew I was forgetting something. There, how's that?
The Casual-ness of a Smash player isn't usually dependent on their Main, it's on how serious they are about the game. For example,(assuming you play Sm4sh, Brawl is a different matter) if you chose Luigi for the ridiculous number of options he has off of Down Throw, I'm sorry but they nerfed that then you're less casual than someone who chose Luigi because his Down Taunt(the little kick the ground he does) has a Meteor Smash, or because his Up Special deals much more knockback if you hit right at the start of the move and you like to do that and yell SHORYUKEN every time it hits.
In my case, having a brother(a younger brother of all the things) who wants to be a big tourney player eventually and consequently uses me as his personal punching bag has lead to me being in this weird place where I know more than the average player(like how you can pull someone through the floor if you use Mewtwo's Side-B on Battlefield under certain situations) but still look relatively noobish to an actually serious player. I'm also someone who would like the chance to actually get to work on a game like Smash, so I try to make sure I at least have a fair knowledge of movesets if nothing else - I actually have several old movesets drawn up somewhere in OpenOffice both in case someone challenges me and says why don't I show them how a moveset is done and in preparation for the unlikely possibility that I ever actually get the chance to offer a moveset suggestion to someone from Nintendo working on a Smash game.

^ Intentionally chose a 'v' statement that had multiple options as part of a sneaky plan to have it be true no matter how the next poster views his scar - you can't fool me, and I've outwitted you! I find your scar…UTTERLY INTERESTING WITHOUT ASCENDING TO THE LEVEL OF AWESOME! HA!!!

< …Has waaaaay too much time on his hands...

v Has posted on here in at least three different SubForums(IE Forum Games, Fire Emblem TCG, Story Feedback)

ALSO RANDOM FACT 'FORA' IS THE MORE GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT PLURAL OF 'FORUM' BUT 'FORUMS' IS STILL TECHNICALLY CORRECT AND SO IT DOESN'T MATTER HEIL WEBSTER

6 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Stuff

I play Luigi because Luigi is one of my all-time favourite videogame characters. Yeah. I also play Lucas because I love Mother 3 as well, Dr. Mario because I like his coat and Marth, Robin, Roy and even Lucina on occasion. for reasons that should be quite obvious. Make of it what you will, but I am as casual as it gets. I don't even play online! My internet can't handle that.

Even though it can handle things like TF2 decently...

Now, let's stop going off topic before someone bans us.

To answer to your prediction... hmm... I made a thread a really long time ago in the FE12 subforum asking whether I should use Tomas or Sheena, then there's this and the Let's Play subforum. Yep, that's three all right. I've also posted in a few threads from the "fan projects" sub.

^ Has a brother with delusions of Rocky-esque grandeur. I wish him good luck in his endeavours.

< Likes Frost as a character. See the little snippet of text under my picture?

v Probably doesn't even know who that is.

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

'FORA' IS THE MORE GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT PLURAL OF 'FORUM'

FORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORA

Sorry, it was too easy.

10 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

^ Intentionally chose a 'v' statement that had multiple options as part of a sneaky plan to have it be true no matter how the next poster views his scar - you can't fool me, and I've outwitted you! I find your scar…UTTERLY INTERESTING WITHOUT ASCENDING TO THE LEVEL OF AWESOME! HA!!!

I somehow gave a combination of a genuine yet sarcastic slow-clap when I ready this. Thou have not outsmarted me, but thou have cleverly twisted by words!

^ I haven't played New Mystery, but I do know that he's one of the character's in your Let's Play. I'm going to take a guess that he's a priest or mage (or sage) that's considered redundant (but you've made him a bad@$$ anyway).

<Had this page crash on me earlier today.

V Uses incognito window so their search inventory isn't cluttered with one time searches.

What's incognito window?

^May have poor internet. I can sympathize.

<As a child, thought incognito was two words (in cognito) and that "cognito" meant disguise. Ergo, "in cognito" meant in disguise, which is technically true.

vHas a similar story to tell.

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

I'm going to take a guess that he's a priest or mage (or sage) that's considered redundant (but you've made him a bad@$$ anyway).

That's right! He's a Bishop, actually. A late-game Bishop that's probably the worst mage in FE12 (and that's saying something, since Yubello is in that game) who comes from one of the Archanea Chronicles. As a character, nobody really cares enough to call him redundant because he's an extremely forgettable, unimportant unit in Archanea, the land of forgettable, unimportant characters.

I gave him a chance, though, I read his one support and paid attention to his one scene in the main campaign and his actions in his Archanea Chronicle, and I ended up really liking him unironically, so I of course had to make him a badass in one way or another. He's no more an old grandpa who's far from being a competent fighter (both gameplay and plot-wise) and has a family to return to, which is the most important thing in the world for him. Despite this, he joined Marth's army as thanks for saving his homeland, Macedon, and by extension, his family. That is something I can respect.

But my favourite ridiculous thing about his character is his design, it's like, the complete opposite of his personality. He's a jolly grandpa who looks like one of those manakete bosses with a square-shaped frown that's bigger than his eyes. Might have to do with the fact that, in the original SNES Archanea Chronicles, he was a palette swap of a manakete boss. Hell, not even a recolor, he had the exact same portrait as the boss!

Whoa, I wrote a bible about Frost, didn't I? Guess that's what happens when you like the most forgotten character in FE. Even Glade is better known for, ironically, supposedly being exactly that.

Okay, back to the game.

^ Will ramble for hours about the word incognito, yet doesn't know what an incognito window is.

< My grammar stories would be hard to share here, since english is not my native language, but I'll try. Spanish for "uncle" is "tio". When I was really really young, I, for whatever reason, couldn't pronounce the "o", so I just called him "Tin". Eventually, I just turned that into a nickname for him. I still call him that now.

v Has something better to do than to post in this thread.

^knows that even if Frost isn't useful in FE 12's main story, he's invaluable in the actual Archanea Chronicles chapter he's from (doubly so in the remake because of the removal of a vulnerary
<Ironically just finished an attempt at that chapter and is lamenting the untrustworthy hit-rate of the ridersbane lowering the survival rate for the attempt
v is sick of Frost

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

FORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORAFORA

Sorry, it was too easy.

YES

JUST YES

^ Shares an island with the most mysterious character in all of Shadow Dragon.

< Started playing Shadow Dragon originally to obtain and play as said mysterious character(lucked out and found it at GameStop), but fell in love with Palla instead and quit the game in sorrow when I accidentally let her die. After obtaining her in Heroes and starting(but still working on) an SoV runthrough using her as the main kill-everything Unit, I have restarted Shadow Dragon with resolve to not try for a zero-death run, in part because it takes too long and also because bar the Whitewings there really aren't all that many characters I find worth resetting for…though that proved true in SoV too, so…maybe it's just me.
If Palla dies again though I'm quitting that game for good screw resets.

v Has a character they remain as devoted to as Cordelia for Chrom.

Romantically or mechanically?

^Is a big fan of...whatever series her/his avatar is from.

<Likes pizza. After all, who doesn't? (My brother, that's who)

vHas a food they adore but a close relative of their's hates.

40 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Has a character they remain as devoted to as Cordelia for Chrom.

Well, sorry for bringing him up again, but...

VVKHgkP.png

Now, I haven't played Awakening, so Cordelia's feelings for Chrom might go far beyond "he's the best!", which means I might be screwing up big time here. But, eh, who cares. Frost is the best Archanean character. Let God be my judge.

Bottom line, I don't actually have a waifu, if that's what you were refering to.

^ Will dare to kill Tomas despite him being almost as amazing as Frost. For shame!

< Will go play Bully as soon as he's finished posting this.

v Knows, much unlike the government, that Bully isn't actually a game that incentivises bullying.

3 minutes ago, KnightOfNohr said:

^Is a big fan of...whatever series her/his avatar is from.

<Likes pizza. After all, who doesn't? (My brother, that's who)

vHas a food they adore but a close relative of their's hates.

Ah, shit, you posted at the same time as I did. We done goof'd, my friend. Only one way to fix this, now! Consider ^ to be KnightofNohr, readers of this thread.

^ Probably favours mages over physical fighters.

< I can't think of any food a close relative of mine hates that I love, but I absolutely love breaded chicken.

v Won't fuck up like me and KoN did.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

I have always had a soft spot for magic users. In my playthrough of FE7 for the virtual console, I designated Erk, Canas, and Lucius as the "Mystical Magical Magesquad", which was basically a Fire Emblem superhero team.

^ Has Hugh on his member badge for some reason.

<Owns multiple Fire Emblem games that have not yet been completed. (FE8 for VC, FE14, and FE15)

vIs a big fan of Pixar movies.

8 hours ago, KnightOfNohr said:

What's incognito window?

On google or Firefox, click on the three dots in the corner, select New Incognito Window, and presto! You can now search up everything to your hearts, and your internet browser won't record any of it in your history (except the website will know that you've been there, and so will the NSA, but hey, as long as you're wise in what you search up, it shouldn't be a big deal).

8 hours ago, KnightOfNohr said:

^May have poor internet. I can sympathize.

Actually, no. My internet works just fine. I thinks it was just the simple "website is so busy it slows down" kind of deal. This is the first time it's downright crashed, though.

^ I wouldn't say a "big" fan, but I did enjoy nearly every Pixar film that I've watched (Cars 2 is the only one I actually dislike, although I did enjoy the first Cars for what it was) and greatly admire and respect their work, and agree that they're pioneers in the industry. I haven't watched every film they made, though.

< Once had a dream where Panne was the inventor of the trampoline in Archenea, and it made so much sense that I personally think it's canon. I also believe that Kellam is an inter-dimensional time-traveling ninja who's actually present in every single game in the series, pulling strings from the background, and decided to finally make an appearance in Awakening just in case it really was the final game in the series.

V (Also) Has a plethora of half-serious head-cannons they don't mind sharing.

Edited by Hawkwing

6 hours ago, KnightOfNohr said:

Either way, I was mostly fishing for something to use as my 'v' item.

4 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

V (Also) Has a plethora of half-serious head-cannons they don't mind sharing.

Eh, some, I'd have to go digging through all the random stuff I have written to find them all. Does obsessively pairing Subaki and Selena in my every Fates playthrough so I can watch her cry in front of Caeldori count? You can also check my homemade Fire Emblem Timeline in my signature in the meantime, I suppose that's a headcanon, though it's far from perfect - it assumes The Ending Winter as an actual weather condition rather than a magical one, and I called it the Endless Winter because it's been a while since I last ran an Elibe game. I've yet to find anyone argue against the fate of Hoshido and Nohr, though.

^ Gives 'quick/short responses' in almost the exact same fashion as myself(view two or three of my posts back on this Topic for examples).

< Needs to get off this Thread and try to get back to writing things but it's haaaaaaard...

v Has attempted writing their own random things before.

Edited by SoulWeaver

^ Once had their Member Title saying something along the lines of "Cleric Dawn sees something NSFW."

< Was convinced by a friend to download Discord so that we could talk for more than once a week (since I only saw him at church) and so we could discuss our story ideas/observations more throughly. It took 4-5 months before he finally memorized my username and ID number thing and we could actually communicate.

V Has used a flashlight as a lightsaber and has attempted to use the Force.

• 8 months later...

^ Yes. And now I have three light-sabers. One of which I actually made myself in Disney.

< Is necroposting out of a combination of boredom, being reminded (somewhat) that this thread exists, and trying to see whether or not my reposes are as strange as I remember

V Is probably wondering why I necroposted this of all threads.

^ - Ships Corrin and Camilla.

< - Knows something about living in a bare minimum apartment without going completely crazy.

v - is probably cooking chili for dinner.

^ Enjoys cuddling teddy bears, no doubt.

< Didn't get a notification that this has been revived until today for whatever reason. Is otherwise loving the fact that they added a pope hat for Medic in Team Fortress 2.

v Probably doesn't know who the character from my profile picture is.

^ Yes and No. It's Barlow from a Castlevania game, but other than that, I have little knowledge about the character.

< Just got their teeth pulled today. While still drugged up, I apparently talked about seeing double, how it was a good thing I wasn't driving, and I see why people do drugs while simultaneously calling them bad. As well as how "Gauze" sounds like "Gauss" which lead to me talking about magnet guns. Sadly, it wasn't recorded.

V Has an actual phobia of dentists.