Thoughts on overclasses?

The only Overclasses I got were Alm's and Celicae's as they don't have a 3rd tier class while everyone else does. It was helpful having them when I did my Alm and Celicae solos has due to soloing the game they maxed out both their classes before the game was over. And it always bugs me using units who can't make kills. Besides this there is little reason to get them. I thought the Dread Fighter overclass was cool but you can't really enjoy it's design when the Dread Fighter vanishes. And again when most classes already have 3 tiers there's little reason to get the overclass. I don't have any plans to get any of the other Overclasses but if I was to, it would probably just be those for classes that don't have a 3rd tier. As the game is not that hard and there's no real need for the Overclasses. In the case of Alm it does increase his bow range up to 4 squares away which I find nice so there is that.

• 2 weeks later...

I like them but wish they were implemented better and retained the characters' individuality, I also don't like the idea of grinding to max level just to access them. 

Edited by RulerJeanne

• 2 weeks later...

God gave us Overclasses and I will abuse TF out of them.

But on the real, having now used most of them, I enjoy them. Not even because they're OP, but because the animations are LIT AF. Alm and Celica just walk up to their opponent like the kill is effortless. Yasha controlling his sword in the air for a final blow had me joked out when I first saw it. Enchantress turning her back to her opponent after the kill gives me life, and I love the sword crit animation. Guru's animations are highly amusing because of how dramatic they are and it's so satisfying to see the Skogul jump off of the horse for an ending blow. Harrier's twirling Pegasus and Lance critical animation are also some of my favorites and I love how she sits sideways on the Pegasus.

I haven't used Exemplar yet but I have seen it in videos and I reeaallyy need to grind up Genny and Faye because they look so beautiful *o* And at some point, I'll have to get Tobin up for Spartan (he's getting close) and I'm not too fond of how Oliphantier looks but I'll give it a shot, as well.

Of the ones I've used, my only complaint would be that Harrier only gets Fire, making me question why even give it Magic at all if it's only for one spell (I could at least finally use Mire and Death with Enchantress). I would have at least liked a second spell to abuse but I can see why we only get access to Fire as none of the others really seem to fit the class.

39 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

But on the real, having now used most of them, I enjoy them. Not even because they're OP, but because the animations are LIT AF. Alm and Celica just walk up to their opponent like the kill is effortless. Yasha controlling his sword in the air for a final blow had me joked out when I first saw it. Enchantress turning her back to her opponent after the kill gives me life, and I love the sword crit animation. Guru's animations are highly amusing because of how dramatic they are and it's so satisfying to see the Skogul jump off of the horse for an ending blow. Harrier's twirling Pegasus and Lance critical animation are also some of my favorites and I love how she sits sideways on the Pegasus.

I haven't used Exemplar yet but I have seen it in videos and I reeaallyy need to grind up Genny and Faye because they look so beautiful *o* And at some point, I'll have to get Tobin up for Spartan (he's getting close) and I'm not too fond of how Oliphantier looks but I'll give it a shot, as well.

Of the ones I've used, my only complaint would be that Harrier only gets Fire, making me question why even give it Magic at all if it's only for one spell (I could at least finally use Mire and Death with Enchantress). I would have at least liked a second spell to abuse but I can see why we only get access to Fire as none of the others really seem to fit the class.

Being able to attack with magic is pretty useful, even if it's just the most basic spell. A lot of enemies simply don't have RES, so you can potentially deal a tonne of damage. It's also pretty useful if it allows them to counter attack at 2 range. Of course that's pretty irrelevant as if you have Overclasses you'll likely be killing anything anyway due to game breaking stats compared to generic enemies. Still, I see what you mean, even if Fire is plenty useful on it's own, the class feels like it lacks variation by having just one spell. I think they could have gotten away with giving them mire thanks to the black aesthetic.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Being able to attack with magic is pretty useful, even if it's just the most basic spell. A lot of enemies simply don't have RES, so you can potentially deal a tonne of damage. It's also pretty useful if it allows them to counter attack at 2 range. Of course that's pretty irrelevant as if you have Overclasses you'll likely be killing anything anyway due to game breaking stats compared to generic enemies. Still, I see what you mean, even if Fire is plenty useful on it's own, the class feels like it lacks variation by having just one spell. I think they could have gotten away with giving them mire thanks to the black aesthetic.

I agree with what you've said. I do appreciate being able to attack from a distance and the ability to choose between Phys or Mag damage. I was hoping for at least a dark spell because I also think it would have fit just fine but I guess otherwise, Fire is the only one that really suits the class so I can at least understand the choice.

Edited by Landmaster

I never bother buying any of the overclass DLC. They all look cool but all the content in the game can be beaten by grinding your units up to level 10 (level 20 for Alm/Celica/Mages/Pegasus Knights) every time before promoting them.

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:54 AM, Landmaster said:

Amen. I love the overclasses. Though I just recently beat Thabes with most mostly level 10 'normal advanced classes'. No overclasses this time. The overclasses in this game remind me of Super Sonic. It's fun to power through everything after being the game normally.

The outfits are really neat too, particularly the Spartan outfit. However,  I feel that the Rigain and Harrier outfits are maybe a bit out of character. Rigain certainly looks regal, but it shows a bit more skin than what Celica normally wears. Perhaps embracing her beauty this way is symbolic of her embracing her role. And the Harrier outfit... I think in another life Camilla was a Harrier.

Again, what most people say, overclasses are not required and are a waste of money. I beat Thabes on my 2nd try without the use of overclasses. Not to mention you can't get them until very late.

I'm sure they're neat for the people that want to throw money to it but first priority to buying DLC in SoV should go to the plot-related Rise of the Deliverance maps that helped solidify Lukas and Python as my favorite characters in that game imo.

And yeah overclassing is absolutely not needed at all to beat Thabes anyways so the only thing it seems to have is a possible cool factor for having it.

On 23/3/2018 at 12:49 AM, DisobeyedCargo said:

I think the're okay. Just wish I had a DLC map to use them on.

i think they should have been put in the game earlier, rather than in a DLC.

i can understand new maps and eventually the new characters, but the classes as a whole should have been in the game from the start.

overall they're all fine, i guess. except maybe for Alm's Conqueror, simply because if you use all the Lion heads bonuses on him in the proper way, he becomes a one-man army by himself alone.

I'd love a super hard DLC map (Apotheosis us like the best DLC they've done, baffled they didn't continue the trend), but in addition to that, I think the Overclasses should be available at any time so you can use them through out the game. Remove the level limit and even the promotion limit so I can be Conquerer Alm right out the gate (of Ram Village). Right now they're basically the opposite of broken as even if you promote asap, a unit that hits lv20 in their final promotion class is already strong enough that the overclass becomes meaningless. Having them freely available at anytime would mean we can actually make use of those fun skills in a real combat environment.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'd love a super hard DLC map (Apotheosis us like the best DLC they've done, baffled they didn't continue the trend), but in addition to that, I think the Overclasses should be available at any time so you can use them through out the game. Remove the level limit and even the promotion limit so I can be Conquerer Alm right out the gate (of Ram Village). Right now they're basically the opposite of broken as even if you promote asap, a unit that hits lv20 in their final promotion class is already strong enough that the overclass becomes meaningless. Having them freely available at anytime would mean we can actually make use of those fun skills in a real combat environment.

I actually did something like that once (grinding a unit up to 20 and overclassing them before the ending I mean.)
Delthea as an Enchantress and Faye as a Harrier absolutely murder Act IV like nobody's business. I think that was probably the run I had the least challenge on. If I didn't need Alm to deal the final blow to Duma, I'm sure I could have solo'ed the rest of the game with Delthea and Faye.