Would you play an original game like Gaiden or Holy War?

Jotari

Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia and Genealogy of the Holy War are probably the two most distinctly different games in the series. The first is characterized by its dungeon crawling aspects, alternative magic system and limited weapon pool, while the second is characterized by the massive size of its maps and Holy Blood mechanics. Plenty of elements from these games, like the world map and children mechanics, have been reused in different games, but we’ve never actually gotten a game that feels in any way similar to these two (except Gaiden’s remake of course). So would you enjoy a new original Fire Emblem game (not a remake) in the same style as these games every now and then? And if so, which one attracts you more? Giant maps, or dungeon crawling?

Edited by Jotari

I wouldn't mind, but I'd rather they try new things. Even if those new things end up backfiring, like Fates's multiple versions.

For instance, I would like to see a future FE with more RPG elements (like the ability to physically walk around towns and the overworld) or perhaps a RPG spin off if that's too drastic, haha.

That said, I'd be there day -1 for a Genealogy remake or another game with a similar feel.

11 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I wouldn't mind, but I'd rather they try new things. Even if those new things end up backfiring, like Fates's multiple versions.

For instance, I would like to see a future FE with more RPG elements (like the ability to physically walk around towns and the overworld) or perhaps a RPG spin off if that's too drastic, haha.

That said, I'd be there day -1 for a Genealogy remake or another game with a similar feel.

Funnily enough, free roaming around town is one of the things the original Gaiden let you do (though town is used pretty liberally here). It's actually something I'm pretty disapointed in Shadows of Valentia not retaining. I'm not sure why they did. People have hacked the game to walk around the village areas and basically the only thing it's missing is some collision detection. Said footage also reveals that what you see in the game is essentially all that's there, which means they probably threw out the idea of town roaming pretty early on. Even though in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't really mean that much more work.

Edited by Jotari

56 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I'd like this as well.  In general, I believe FE could stand to experiment more and play around with established conventions.

I actually wouldn't mind a downright sequel to Shadows of Valentia, or at least an expansion pack. I think they have enough options for how to handle the story, and I'd like to see the mechanics of Gaiden explored and expanded even farther and with good maps to play on.

I haven't played Geneology of the Holy War yet, but as long as the game gives an adequate warring first, I wouldn't mind seeing an extra large map appearing once or twice in the Switch game. I've also had thoughts of a 'board game' side mode, where you control multiple lords/generals with their own army's on a Genealogy sized map (or larger) while trying to achieve an objective against other players, and anytime two armies fought, the game would transfer onto a smaller map where both armies fight in a normal Fire Emblem battle.

I think another game with huge maps would be great to see, but a big issue with these maps is non-cavalier units often being left in the dust. I can't say I care too much about the dungeon crawling, I feel like it lost its charm once the larger dungeons started to come into play. Honestly though, as long as it's Fire Emblem, I will most likely enjoy it.

I think what I would love to see is a FE4 style game. I like the big maps, the weapon system how Holy Weapons are handled and the lore behind them not to mention that weapons can be repaired. I just would request that a FE10 like system of forging be implemented.   Hey, I like forging and only Radiant Dawn's or Shadow Dragon's system allows me to have a lot of fun with that mechanic. Including choosing a color for my weapon.

It depends. I might be interested in another game like Gaiden/SoV, but not so much for a game similar to Genealogy - hey, if my opinion of that one is that it's lower than dirt, I wouldn't be too keen on a game that follows in its footsteps. And honestly, I think that there's way too much that can go wrong with that.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I don't really consider the dungeons to be the defining feature of Gaiden/SoV, but I mean..

Gaiden: you could probbably loosely call Pool of Radiance (and the games descended from it) hybirds of SRPG combat and dungeon crawling... Albeit all of them have more mechanics not only than a game like Gaiden but also compared to Fates or Radiant Dawn. 

Genealogy's big maps aren't it's biggest inherent problem. I'm not in the mood to go through my post history.

An SRPG with big maps can be okay if the way through them features events and local strategies along the way .. In Genealogy, you are mostly encouraged to simply avoid all non-flat terrain for convenience. This contrasts both the forests/pillars of other FE games, and even the use of terrain in strategy games (you would never fight on road in AW for example). Having the enemy's in formation is also a net negative since it means that splliting them up is pretty much encouraged AGAINST which is a big contrast to other SRPGs (Disgea, Front Mission, FFT, the other Fire Emblems). The small positive of making them feel more like an organized army really isn't worth sacrificing core design. Finally the game has two types of "empty turn" the former, where you and the enemy burn a turn movig toward each other isn't actually that bad. The latter kind of empty turn though, is a problem. This is the one where you do see unintended comat and it's non-lethal to your units. This is especially absurd when looking at Genalogy's "frail" classes, such as clerics/swordmasters, who can fight physical enemies (or at weapon triandlge disadvantage) multiple turns in a row without dying. I think having some "single turns" not matter is pretty anemic to a game that markets itself as a stragety RPG. Mistakes (letting WTD or 2 range locked units get attacked especially from 2-3 slots in a single turn) can almost always be corrected by walking the damaged unit out (so that it faces 0-1 enemies on the second mistake turn), and most player unit deaths require mistakes over multiple turns. Gen 2 C10 and endgame also has a horrific enemy phase focus, mostly by placing Magic heavy enemy swarms by some of the castles and requiring ONLY a tiny pool of units being allowed to enter their range. It's a clear case of "difficulty" that isn't created by enemy AI. 

I can imagine a good SRPG with big maps. But I can't imagine a FE4-like SRPG with good maps. 

I would LOVE to try Tharcia 776 (I could do without the heal staves missing thing, though), but I recently installed Linux on my computer and I am not sure the emulator works with Linux or if there even is one. I still consider abandoning Faildows as one of my better decisions, though.

So yeah, give me a Thracia 776 remake and remove the heal staves missing stuff.

But to answer your original question, Jotari: I much prefer dungeon crawling, seeing as how I am a fan of Etrian Odyssey - even though I am not sure I can call myself that since I only played the 3DS titles and not the DS originals - and I loved the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. I heard enough about FE4's big maps and it's... other features and it's safe to say that a game with it's style, especially a Fire Emblem game, wouldn't be for me. Cavalier being among my least favourite classes doesn't exactly help matters, either.

At first I thought the question would be whether we'd play the unreleased games if they were released in a localized form, in which case yes. I would absolutely pay money to play official releases.

But the mechanics that make 2 and 4 unique feel too gimmicky for justified implementation in a new, main series game. I have heard an interesting idea of combining Echoes' dungeon crawl with FE4's platoon centric engagements. In a theoretical FE4 Echoes, the big maps would be sprawling landscapes you traversed openly as Sigurd. Then when you come up on an enemy force in the distance, an army to army battle begins, like the random battles of Echoes' dungeons. That way you wouldn't have to spend time moving individual units and waiting for your infantry to catch up. The only problem I can foresee is the incentive to keep moving forward. Putting a literal timer on side objectives like saving a village is very un-Fire Emblem and would make it feel like an RTS. But if the thieves just waited for you to reach them, then there would be no tension. I think going the RTS route would be appropriate for a FE4 remake, since remakes are probably going to continue being experimental. But the genre blending might be too risky for a mainline game.

I don't mind, I've finished FE4 and I was in act 3 in Gaiden...but finished SoV 2 times...but only finished 1 times

I mean, both have ressurect stuff, which you can revive a character. All character can enter to combat ,excepting dungeon in Gaiden/Echoes, which all character ARE viable to combat, compared to the huge cast of FE3 or FE11.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

But to answer your original question, Jotari: I much prefer dungeon crawling, seeing as how I am a fan of Etrian Odyssey - even though I am not sure I can call myself that since I only played the 3DS titles and not the DS originals - and I loved the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. I heard enough about FE4's big maps and it's... other features and it's safe to say that a game with it's style, especially a Fire Emblem game, wouldn't be for me. Cavalier being among my least favourite classes doesn't exactly help matters, either.

EO is cool, but can be difficult sometimes. I've finished all of them excepting post game.

Cavalier is the only class I didn't like in the GBA games...too much cavalry (excluding pegasus, Nomad and Marcus). Cavalier in FE3 and FE5 can dismount. well, they can't use horses in buildings.

3 minutes ago, link16hit said:

EO is cool, but can be difficult sometimes. I've finished all of them excepting post game.

Cavalier is the only class I didn't like in the GBA games...too much cavalry (excluding pegasus, Nomad and Marcus). Cavalier in FE3 and FE5 can dismount. well, they can't use horses in buildings.

Yeah, the difficulty in EO slaps you in the face more than a few times. I have never completed any postgame content in the EO games I've played for that very reason.

Honestly, I like the idea of being able to dismount. Especially with effective weaponry and even class skills running rampant in newer installments, being able to protect your Cavs from being fox / wolf / demon rabbit / Beast Killer lance bait would be a huge boon in my books.

It also makes sense that you can't bring your mount indoors. I mean, have you ever seen someone sitting on a horse inside a house? They'd constantly be hitting their heads on every ceiling and doorway. Not to mention the flying mounts, who wouldn't even be able to spread their wings in the corridors.

Edited by DragonFlames

I'd definitely play another game in the style of Gaiden/SoV. I feel that the dungeon crawling has a lot of untapped potential. Dungeon crawling in SoV felt cool but they felt same-y a lot of times. Having more variety (and better maps overall) would be fantastic. As for a game in the style of FE4, i feel that a lot of things could go wrong with that.

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Honestly, I like the idea of being able to dismount. Especially with effective weaponry and even class skills running rampant in newer installments, being able to protect your Cavs from being fox / wolf / demon rabbit / Beast Killer lance bait would be a huge boon in my books.

Dismounting is a cool concept, it's just never been handled great. Whenever a Cavalier Dismounts in the games that had it, they would be locked to swords. In FE3, Cavaliers could only use Lances and in FE5, Cavaliers were separated by weapon type (Lance Cavalier, for example). This means that Dismounted Cavaliers would often get fucked over by their non-existent sword ranks, leaving them very vulnerable.

I'm not opposed to Dismounting returning but they need to keep it so that the units that do Dismount keep their weapon ranks.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'd definitely play another game in the style of Gaiden/SoV. I feel that the dungeon crawling has a lot of untapped potential. Dungeon crawling in SoV felt cool but they felt same-y a lot of times. Having more variety (and better maps overall) would be fantastic. As for a game in the style of FE4, i feel that a lot of things could go wrong with that.

Dismounting is a cool concept, it's just never been handled great. Whenever a Cavalier Dismounts in the games that had it, they would be locked to swords. In FE3, Cavaliers could only use Lances and in FE5, Cavaliers were separated by weapon type (Lance Cavalier, for example). This means that Dismounted Cavaliers would often get fucked over by their non-existent sword ranks, leaving them very vulnerable.

I'm not opposed to Dismounting returning but they need to keep it so that the units that do Dismount keep their weapon ranks.

Yeah, I agree. Suddenly getting locked to swords when you orignally wielded other weapons sounds... not good. Imagine Elise in Fates suddenly being sword-locked. *shudders* Certainly not a pretty thought.

Edited by DragonFlames

What I would like to see, is a game that combines of what made different Kaga games enjoyable.

To put things simply the type of game I want is, for example, something like what the original Tear Ring Saga tried accomplish. Tear Ring Saga manages to capture the feel of FE1, Gaiden, Genealogy, and Thracia via the implementation of many gameplay elements and themes from each of the three games.

Oh and just in case if anyone misunderstands, I'm not saying we need a game exactly like what Kaga is doing with his TRS games, its just an example.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Dismounting worked in FE3 because weapon ranks didn't exist yet, but it was indeed a disaster in Thracia.

Gaiden is fantastic and I'll gladly play it any day of the week. FE 4 is okay not the biggest fan of it but I do see the appeal and quited enjoyed what I played. 

It's not really a matter of "would you" it's more of a "when will you," unless you are one of those jackasses who actually believe that any game before FE 13 is bad because it's older. 

5 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I actually wouldn't mind a downright sequel to Shadows of Valentia, or at least an expansion pack. I think they have enough options for how to handle the story, and I'd like to see the mechanics of Gaiden explored and expanded even farther and with good maps to play on.

I haven't played Geneology of the Holy War yet, but as long as the game gives an adequate warring first, I wouldn't mind seeing an extra large map appearing once or twice in the Switch game. I've also had thoughts of a 'board game' side mode, where you control multiple lords/generals with their own army's on a Genealogy sized map (or larger) while trying to achieve an objective against other players, and anytime two armies fought, the game would transfer onto a smaller map where both armies fight in a normal Fire Emblem battle.

I'm not sure where they could go in the story given there are no antagonists left undefeated or areas unexplored, but if Alm and Celica got to appear supporting their Conqueror and Rigain designs, then I'm sold!

I would like the older games up until six remade, like they've already done with 1-3 (although I guess if they do up until six, they'll probably continue to at least 8, if not 9 and 10, too, but I feel the last two could just be released on the virtual console quite easily). 

For a new game with those elements... God no to the big maps. If they do put them in, they'll have to drastically change them to make them fun. I'll keep an open mind if they do have them in, but otherwise... urgh, no. 

For mounting/dismounting... I actually always did like the idea of this. I think they could rework it, and it makes more sense than having wyverns in tiny spaces. 

For dungeon crawling... Ehh... It got pretty dull pretty quickly in Echoes. I'd have preferred them to leave the dungeon crawling out and let us explore the towns properly instead, although the visual novel style they did utilise for towns was cute. 

I think Major/Minor blood could maybe work, but again it would need some revamping. It made some characters pretty much useless without it, and I like being able to play with characters I like, regardless of if they're mounted or have the right blood. 

Edited by Cute Chao

4 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Genealogy's maps felt epic, truly like waging war rather that managing skirmishes and I loved them.

Would much enjoy seeing it again. 

Pretty much this.  No other game captured the feeling of war on a grand scale.  The others seem like tiny battles.  In addition all the maps are connected forming the Judgral continent giving a sense of unity rather than the sharp disconnect you get from most other games like you travel to random battlefields in random places.  Of course with today's technology they could fill these huge maps with much more objectives and stuff to do, optional side quests within the large maps, etc.  

I also enjoyed Gaiden/Echoes dual route, something nicely explored also in Tear Ring Saga.  I think it is really interesting and keeps people invested in 2 almost separate storylines that also have overlap.  Dungeon crawling is really interesting, but I think it was much to simple in Echoes.  I still enjoyed them, but a lot more could be done.  It is a sharp contrast to the open field battles, and was very refreshing.