Would you like a new Subspace in Smash 5?

Jedi

Subspace was a cool beat em up/platformer mix that Brawl did as a story mode of sorts, gave us pretty cool cutscenes and team ups for our various characters. It did have flaws, but it was overall a really fun experience, in my eyes anyways. 

I think they should expand on the concept if they do it again, such as having more actual Nintendo enemies, like how Smash Run in 4 3DS did, have tons of baddies and bosses from Nintendo's history! Allow them to stretch their wings, have some team ups like Mario & Sonic since Sonic won't be a last minute addition like in Brawl, the possiblities are rather awesome. 

Maybe some call backs to the original Subspace or just the source material, etc.

Definitely, and one of my biggest wishes is characters fighting bosses from other series, for example, I loved seeing Fox and Diddy fighting Rayquaza, Kirby fighting Petey Piranha, Pikachu fighting Ridley, and Pikachu saving Samus from Ridley was pretty badass. I would love to see more of than in Smash 5. That’s what crossovers are about.

Edited by Water Mage

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A new story mode in general would be nice. I'd also like to see Tabuu return because what is he actually?

Well his trophy description ony gives us this haha

"The ruler of Subspace and master of operations. Tabuu controls Master Hand with chains of light to excise this world and build up his great maze. He used Shadow Bugs to form Subspace and manipulates the servants of Master Hand to his heart's content. Born in a vastly foreign realm, he also possesses great leadership powers. Tabuu...No name is more suitable."

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Well his trophy description ony gives us this haha

"The ruler of Subspace and master of operations. Tabuu controls Master Hand with chains of light to excise this world and build up his great maze. He used Shadow Bugs to form Subspace and manipulates the servants of Master Hand to his heart's content. Born in a vastly foreign realm, he also possesses great leadership powers. Tabuu...No name is more suitable."

I completely forgot about his Trophy Description because haha, trying to turn Tabuu into a trophy was tough as nails.

Still though, there's a lot of untapped potential with Tabuu, i feel.

I've been thinking, for as much fun as i had with SSE, it was less of a story mode and more of just "Adventure Mode with cutscenes". Maybe it's asking a bit much but i'd like to seen an actual story. It'd be kinda difficulty seeing as how 50% of Nintendo's character don't actually talk but you know, the story doesn't have to be good in this case. It could be the stupidest thing ever, just give us an actual story. I want to see Nintendo characters interact with more than just grunting at each other.

Of course. Subspace was probably the best thing to come out of Brawl, and I was quite disappointed that no such thing existed in Smash 4. I wouldn't play it myself, but it was perfect for 2-player co-op - especially if the 2nd player isn't as into Smash as I am.

Yup yup. I was really surprised that such a mode did not appear in Smash 4. The Smash Bros. roster is only going to get bigger, and only the most dedicated fans actually spend time playing as all of those great characters. Adventure Mode is the excuse to get casual players trying out everybody at least once. As is, casual players are obliged to ONLY play as their favorite character as they attempt more difficult and varied challenges. They often don't realize for themselves how cool and fun other options are. I bet Sakurai feels the same way, he's a very proud developer. As evidenced by the final broadcast direct where he listed off how many characters, stages, and other pieces of content made it into the game. The idea that his game has all this great stuff but players only experience ten percent of it must be crushing.

I remember reading that Sakurai was upset all those great cutscenes were just uploaded online. This sounds silly now, but it was a common sentiment among developers in the mid 2000s. Cutscenes used to be regarded as the reward for players progressing in a pre-Youtube era. Developers also stopped putting secrets in their games because they knew players would rarely put in the effort to find or unlock them - at least not until the concept of achievements came out. I expect the animation budget that would have went toward an adventure mode was instead spent on Smash 4's character trailers - a fair trade if you ask me. I'd absolutely play a story mode that lacked pretty cutscenes. Tell the story without breaking the 2D sidescrolling camera angle - like Kirby games do. You can build unique animations for the characters to express themselves. In fact, get HAL Laboratory to build the story mode. They seem to be free to work on a new project for the first time in years. Apparently the original SSE was supposed to be developed by a separate company, but Sakurai couldn't find a studio to work within his specifications. So his team took up the task, resulting in a major delay for Brawl. 

One more thing. I feel like custom equipment and the very idea of building a custom character was also wasted in the decision not to make an Adventure Mode. Competitive players ignored the concept due to poor UI and having to enter a separate character creation screen. And Casual players ignored it because no mode really prompted the idea. Adventure Mode will justify having access to custom equipment and moves, just like it justified stickers in Brawl.

Sure, that seems dandy. I enjoyed Subspace and its Kirby-esque gameplay, and wouldn't mind it coming back. Better than no adventure mode at all, at least.

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I've been thinking, for as much fun as i had with SSE, it was less of a story mode and more of just "Adventure Mode with cutscenes". Maybe it's asking a bit much but i'd like to seen an actual story. It'd be kinda difficulty seeing as how 50% of Nintendo's character don't actually talk but you know, the story doesn't have to be good in this case. It could be the stupidest thing ever, just give us an actual story. I want to see Nintendo characters interact with more than just grunting at each other.

I feel the same way. I love SSE and a second edition in the same vain would receive no complaints from me, but ideally I would also love actual character interaction.

3 minutes ago, Comet said:

Yes. I'd prefer if they didn't change character traits for it this time.

What are you thinking of specifically?

I'd like a new Co-op story  mode (yes I played it co-op it was fun that way.) Plus it gave a different way to unlock all the characters and introducing them well.

I mean, I was just sad at the lack of story mode at all in 4 and then the closest thing been smash run on 3DS (Which I actually would like to see again too done bigger)

I liked the fact that it had story and was fun, but It's biggest flaws are the generic environments and enemies. I can get past the environments, but I'd prefer the familiarity of Nintendo IPs. Same with the enemies, I'd rather kick some koopa, monoeye, moblin, space pirate, etc asses over these uninteresting and generic enemies :dry: 

I might be the only one who thinks this but I would like to see something more akin to Adventure Mode in Melee. The levels in SSE just seemed generic or dragged on for too long and I thought Melee's Adventure Mode had some interesting levels like Mario one and the references it had in the background or the how the Metroid level had you escape the with a heavy time limit.

Either a new Subspace or something close from the Adventure Mode in Melee.

And make it playable by more than two player and I'll be in heaven.

So yeah, a big yes for me.

Smash 4 has spoiled me rotten, so I want Subspace to have an 8 player mode co-op at most. Unrealistic sure, but again spoiled rotten.

That being said I would like Subspace to be more diverse with the enemy grunts. This 30 years of franchise in the works, so don't put so much emphasize on the OC mooks. Smash Run for the most part had the right idea. And definitely more boss from the various franchises.

If the cutscenes  too much for Team Sora/Hal Labs then just have an Adventure Mode like Melee did. But this time have be 4 players & whenever there's one on one fight have the players decide on the order who fight 1st while the other player serve as extra stock.

6 hours ago, Solvaij said:

What are you thinking of specifically?

stuff like fall speed and dash speed was changed JUST for substance, which bothers me.

At the very least, some sort of adventure mode. Maybe not something akin to Subspace Emissary (I don’t want something like the Great Maze to ever exist again), but definitely something that has the franchises interacting more. 

I'd love to see another adventure mode appear in Smash. Subspace Emissary was flawed (story was expectedly sub-par, The Great Maze can go die in a fire, the boss fights were kinda fun if not slow at times, etc.) but I think they can easily improve on the idea with more intriguing levels, faster-paced boss fights with a "desperation" point (similar to Kirby bosses, because Sakurai), and cutting out the Dedede ex machina.