Would you like a new Subspace in Smash 5?

Jedi

I wouldn't mind story campaigns that let different characters (playable and otherwise) from different series interact. I'm thinking stuff like Kirby going on a quest to retrieve stolen food with help from Yoshi and the Ice Climbers, or Samus Aran and Fox McCloud working together on a mission, or even Link, Marth, Isaac, and other fantasy heroes banding together to protect their homes. And of course we get more proper boss fights, ideally a unique final boss for each fighter (or at least series).

Edited by Lord_Brand

SSB4 was amazing, except for the fact that it didn't have Subspace. That was a huge letdown for me since I really wanted to see characters interacting with each other. Making a new story with all the cutscenes and all the new characters....I'd really love to see Nintendo do it again, 'cause that was my favorite mode in Brawl, and it really added a lot of "lore" if I can call it that?

15 hours ago, shintarouee said:

SSB4 was amazing, except for the fact that it didn't have Subspace. That was a huge letdown for me since I really wanted to see characters interacting with each other. Making a new story with all the cutscenes and all the new characters....I'd really love to see Nintendo do it again, 'cause that was my favorite mode in Brawl, and it really added a lot of "lore" if I can call it that?

Well, the longest written work in the English language is a Super Smash Bros. Brawl Subspace Emissary fanfiction (at several million words long), so it has to count as lore to someone.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anybody who DOESN'T want a new story mode, especially after Smash 4's disappointing single-player content.

Cutscenes are the biggest issue. Personally I'd rather Sakurai just accept that they'll wind up on YouTube, and not use that as an excuse to leave them out, but I'd take that over no story mode at all.

Character interaction would be fun but there's a snag; like, half the roster never speaks. It would be weird to have a cutscene of, say, Fox and Pit talking while Link is just standing there making grunts. One solution I came up with is to keep cutscenes relatively mute, but have dialogue overlay mid-gameplay like in Kid Icarus Uprising. That way, the characters who talk can chat away without it being strange that Villager, or Link, or whomever is just standing there silently; we can assume they're simply not part of the conversation since we don't see the conversation on-screen.

Of course, as many have said, the biggest improvement to make compared to SSE is the enemies and environments. Smash Run is a good proof-of-concept for the former, so that shouldn't be an issue, and quite a few of the stages in SSE at least RESEMBLED areas from Nintendo games, so they just need to make some kind of story justification for the dimension-hopping.

What if conversations played out in different ways depending on the "theme" of the scene? For example, if the cutscene takes place in Smashville, everybody speaks in Animalese, and the feel leans toward comedic. On the other hand, a place like Hyrule or Archanea could have full voice acting for more dramatic scenes (though comedy in those places is perfectly possible as well).

For the story, I was thinking: Assuming the player characters aren't basically Einherjar in trophy form, what if the villain is turning people and objects into trophies to summon and control them, and so the main goal is freeing trapped individuals from their trophy forms? Beyond player characters, we could see NPCs represented this way as well. I kinda like the idea of there being multiple "helper" characters like Peppy Hare and Cranky Kong that each lend a unique voice to game hints and the like.

Edited by Lord_Brand