DLC in Fire Emblem Switch

Intelligent Systems, in the past year has changed their business model to releasing more pay-for content.  With the numerous amount of DLC in FE Warriors, in addition to the gacha system of Heroes, its safe to assume this system will be carried over to this developing game.  What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I'm a bit concerned.  It seems like IS is really trying to milk its fanbase.  Sure, the DLC is optional, and foregoing it doesn't significantly affect gameplay quality- for now.  I wonder if we'll see increasing amounts of game content locked behind paywalls.  

There is a 99.99% chance of DLC (heck, even Echoes--a remake--had it), but I am confident it will continue to be unobtrusive.

I have a feeling it will follow the Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade 2 DLC model more than anything. So a season pass with contents yet to be complete.

FEW is Koei-Techmo's game, not IS's.  IS may have aided a little, but most everything else was KT and I'm sure Nintendo had a part in the DLC practices as well being that they're the publisher.

So far, the DLC IS themselves have put out have purely been post-release.  Sure, they may have done the whole season pass deal (that practically every dev and their mother does these days) in Fates and Echoes, but as far as anyone knows that was content they began working on after the fact or at least after the games went gold.

The only thing of some concern for me personally is the fact that Anna was locked behind a paywall in Fates.  Maybe the gacha would be of more concern to me if I hadn't been out of the loop for so long that I only remember the game up until just before the Tempest Trials and supports were a thing in that game.  And regardless, I just can't see them employing the same business model in a mainline entry as they do in FEH, so FEH is kind of mostly irrelevant to this discussion as well.

I'm definitely sure they'll be alot more content for this at post launch with a season pass depending on what in the game I can see it being alot similar to Awakening/Fates with. I wouldn't ever considered Warriors or Heroes as signs since 1. Warriors is by KT even with IS aid and 2. Heroes is a gacha App game so 0 relevancy. As for content I don't expect nothing really new besides

-Grinding money, weapons, exp maps (NOT like what SoV did....).

-Scramble fun especially with a international official poll maybe. There VERY likely will have a Summer and another unique theme or 2 (although I'd like any character I marry to get more romantic dialogue or also regular dialogue than just "only winners only" which will likely happen again unfortunately...hopefully the character I like in this ends up on top anyway so far previously they were except Oboro over Azura or Elise lol).

-Extra story whether "before main story", Kid focused, etc.

-Challenge maps are a given.

-Previous FE maps

-Unlockable characters definitely is gonna happen I can see Anna being one again and some new characters more original to the game.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Rise of the Deliverance was an excellent DLC. Most of all with the inclusion of more memory prisms. Those ARE coming back in the next game, yes? They'd better.

In general, DLC had not been very kosher during 3DS era. You know something is up when the Warriors game has better DLC practices than the main series. I'm afraid that with the next Fire Emblem game costing 60 dollars they'll take that as license to charge at least 60 dollars worth of additional content. And don't get me started on Fates' paywall choices. If this next game does the multiple versions thing again I'm going to scream. Awakening had a substantial amount of free content, which was very generous. I'm hoping they'll strike a better balance between free and paid content.

After being disappointed with Awakening's DLC I skipped Fates' and SoV's, though I did watch playthroughs of most of it. SoV's story DLC was cool, I would've probably bought it if I'd had the funds to spare at the time. Honestly, I'm sure FE16 will have DLC. Whether I buy it depends on the pricing and if the content is story heavy (and if I like the story enough to want more of it). Anything fanservicey like the scramble maps or grindy I'll pass on. 

DLC is a given at this point, but (as others have pointed out) I don't think we should be looking at FEW and FEH as examples of what they will pull. Instead we should look at the 3DS games, and from those we know a couple that will definitely appear. We will have a couple of fanservicey ones with exclusive CGs of the most popular girls and guys. Hopefully they actually do an international poll this time instead of just focusing on Japan but I wouldn't be surprised if it is Japan only again. There will also be the ones that let you get more experience and gold as well as some story stuff. What I hope they don't do is make the story stuff practically required to understand the main villain's motives and explain other questions the game left hanging like Fates did. The Echoes stuff isn't that bad because it is all pre-game stuff. However, Fates pulled some serious bs I never want to see the series do again.

It's a guarantee. Awakening was Nintendo's first major push unto DLC, and Fire Emblem's stayed as a very DLC heavy series.

That said, I really, really, really hope they change up their DLC formula. This "Weapon grinding map, gold grinding map, EXP grinding map" with a handful of random challenge maps and about 3 actual story related, but still entirely divorced from the main game thrown in is some of the laziest DLC I've ever seen. The only thing that would be lazier would be DLC that just gave you weapons, gold and EXP with no maps... Which I wouldn't put past ANY game developers, let alone IS and Nintendo. 

None of the FE DLC except maybe the Future Past stuff has felt like it had any substance. 

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

None of the FE DLC except maybe the Future Past stuff has felt like it had any substance. 

Pretty much this. Those special dialogues are cool, and the challenge is fine. 

I would like new game modes to increase the challenge (randomizer, Lunatic+, other crazy stuff you could think).

The option to play the DLC maps with Handicap or No Handicap.

Characters that aren't NPC's in the base game and have supports with other units.

And generally content that isn't rehashed of the base game. The Einnhejars with the Avatar assets were pretty terrible. Another example: the weapon grind map in Fates could have, well, weapons that aren't of the Fates realm. C'mon, people from other universes come to that place, I'm not supposed to pick a Venge Naginata from a chest and fight an Oni Savage.

I'm actually in the opposite camp, because if they start spending too much effort fleshing out DLC releases, it's going to cock up the main game.  If it's in any way relevant to the game's main story/plot, put it in there to begin with.   I do not want canon alterations or retcons to the game's storyline behind fucking paywalls.  I want a finished game, on release, that I only have to pay for ONCE to get the whole story.

For Fates, Nintendo/IS had the audacity to make an entire -ROUTE- DLC (technically two, but Rev is the chief offender), and it was some hilariously bad 'golden land fairy-tale ending' horsecrap to boot.  It's something I never want to see again (and I have a sinking feeling of dread that we're absolutely going to; I'm not going to even bother buying FE Switch if IS does this 'route split' shit again).

Keep DLC strictly non-canon and of a 'mechanical benefit' nature, and/or for non-canon challenge maps and silly shit like 'who's going to the beach?  Let's beat each other up and find out!' and 'let's all dress up in costumes and go trick-or-treating!'

Outside the thing I said will obviously come back in the contents for 16s DLC if something I can see new for DLC I can see material grinding for Food/Ore but it might take away from visiting other peoples game except for Skill buying oh yeah! of course maps will reward unique skills and classes as usual. Clothing and Accessories I can see too being possible.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

DLC has been some good fanservice or just virtually pointless. I can't say that I've been disappointed by any of the DLC from the 3DS games so I'm pretty okay with anything they'll do. I would like to see more classes and weapons as dlc though, and maybe let the amiibo characters be bought by people who don't have them.

Guest Dreamyboi

Honestly I just hope we don't have story stuff locked behind a paywall again.

The shit pulled with Fates was inexcusable and locking Fernand's characterization behind a couple DLC maps was scummy.

I hope there isn’t DLC at all. I see a few mention of it containing extra story to explain the events that happened during the main game, such as Rise of the Deliverance, Hidden Truths, Heirs of Fate, or Before Awakening DLC and that’s honestly crap that should be in the game at base and not delegated as DLC. Stuff like Summer Scramble, Beach Brawl, Museum Melee, are ok. Those have nothing to do with the story and have neat rewards but story should NOT be locked behind a paywall and doubly so for a whole entire route like Revelations.

SoV felt like the scummiest one. Specifically the exp DLC. SoV already had dungeons with infinite enemies that should be considered the grinding spots but they made it so enemies give shit exp making it so you would have to get exp map if you want to get anywhere fast. This type of DLC works ok in Awakening or Conquest. The latter in particular pairs well with it since there’s no way to grind outside of it but again, a game like SoV should not have had a game aspect intentionally butchered just to sell DLC.

If it does come back I hope they keep it purely fan service. No story, Characters, or mechanics sacrificed to sell the DLC. I don’t mind the extra classes being locked behind them or special skills though. Costumes could also make a fine reward if something akin to the accessory shop returns. Those are fine to me.

• 1 month later...

I just hope we don't get anything as ridiculous as Echoes' Season Pass again (grinding/ training is such a chore in that game and you release the solution as Day One DLC?) Also, if we do get an add-on campaign, I hope it's separate from the main story (like Future Past or Summer Scramble) and not something that fixes or explains key plot points of the main game (looking at you, Fates). That's either greed, terrible writing or both. I vote for both.

I miss Awakening's DLC model, where you got an Einherjar copy of almost every FE character from games before it as well as free story missions (the last paralogues). Does IS really need to be pushed to the brink for that to happen again? Oh, and no more split paths as separate games and definitely no holding the "true" story back to sell as DLC.

On 3/27/2018 at 2:25 AM, NegativeExponents- said:

This type of DLC works ok in Awakening or Conquest. The latter in particular pairs well with it since there’s no way to grind outside of it but again

I know Conquest is supposed to be more difficult, but selling DLC for it is basically turning it into a P2W experience, like how microtransactions are used in other games. Ew. I agree with everything else though, especially your points on SoV and Fates.

On 5/19/2018 at 7:24 AM, DefyingFates said:

I miss Awakening's DLC model, where you got an Einherjar copy of almost every FE character from games before it as well as free story missions (the last paralogues). Does IS really need to be pushed to the brink for that to happen again? Oh, and no more split paths as separate games and definitely no holding the "true" story back to sell as DLC.

I know Conquest is supposed to be more difficult, but selling DLC for it is basically turning it into a P2W experience, like how microtransactions are used in other games. Ew. I agree with everything else though, especially your points on SoV and Fates.

I think I'm in agreement.

I have both Awakening and Fates (didn't end up getting SoV, but it sounds like most people dislike it's DLC model).  I really enjoyed Awakening's DLC, as not only did it add a lot of replay value, grinding opportunities, and challenges that go beyond the main game's difficulty level, but as someone that hadn't played earlier games it exposed me to a lot of the characters from Fire Emblem's history (albeit in a very condensed form).

The DLC from Fates... look, I get that Conquest was supposed to be more challenging and grinding's not supposed to be an option, but not everyone wants to be forced to play that way.  You can always set limitations on yourself for challenge runs with no grinding, you can't add grinding to a game that doesn't have it.  I disliked the DLC maps that I played with pre-set rosters at pre-set levels.  I spend time building my army the way I want it, why do I have to play DLC with someone else's?  That's just my opinion on it.

So yeah, TL;DR: more DLC like Awakening, where I can learn about other Fire Emblem characters and get more play time with the army I've created in the main game.

1 hour ago, Ezrius said:

The DLC from Fates... look, I get that Conquest was supposed to be more challenging and grinding's not supposed to be an option, but not everyone wants to be forced to play that way.  You can always set limitations on yourself for challenge runs with no grinding, you can't add grinding to a game that doesn't have it. 

I know, I just found it odd that IS let you buy your way out of one of Conquest's selling points, is all.

1 hour ago, ElectiveToast said:

Why are we talking about DLC when the game isn’t even revealed yet? 

because some people are under the delusion that awakening had good dlc practices.

and were bored.

The only thing good about Awakening's DLC WAS that it was divorced from the main story. Those that don't purchase it aren't going to lose out on anything regarding the main campaign.

Fates messed it up by putting a psuedo-forth storyline path in piecemeal via DLC and then refused to localize half of the the fun, goofy maps with the multitudes of convos.

SoV was overpriced. 

FEH is gambling.

Warriors is tough for me since the more I played that game, the more boring it became, but I purchased the season pass. I think it's shady to randomly lock Oboro and Niles behind a paywall, and both the ingame and DLC characters are clones of each other. But, oodles of extra maps to buttonsmash on, I guess.

I don't think FEH should be counted since Gatcha games are the most common type of Japanese mobile game and it's not in the same category as DLC in a non-mobile game.

That said, I hope they'll tone it down a bit with the DLC, but I won't exactly hold my breath.

Edited by Troublesome Knight

On 3/26/2018 at 7:25 PM, NegativeExponents- said:

SoV felt like the scummiest one. Specifically the exp DLC. SoV already had dungeons with infinite enemies that should be considered the grinding spots but they made it so enemies give shit exp making it so you would have to get exp map if you want to get anywhere fast.

honestly i might be wrong on this, but grinding was pretty painful in gaiden as well as I remember, with enemies giving low exp turnouts in dungeons, probably as part to emphasis the changed promotion system and class changing sooner rather then later which the promotion system heavily favours. Im probably wrong on that since I haven touched gaiden in a while, but regardless it probably should have been fixed to give better exp payouts anyways.