If the DLC Characters in the Game at Launch Weren't DLC Who Would Want in Their Place?

ladyfoster

Pretty self explanatory, but if Niles, Oboro, Naverre, and Owain were playable at launch (like they honestly should have been), which characters do you think should have been DLC alongside Azura, Minerva, Linde, Tharja, and Olivia in their respective packs? 

My personal vote:

Fates Pack: Charlotte to represent Nohr and Kaden for Hoshido. Kaden would also use stones like Tiki, but would have his own totally unique moveset that has him transform into a kitsune for his awakening. Meanwhile because that pack would then still have two unique movesets with Azura, Charlotte could be a Lissa clone. If I recall correctly, Lissa's staff stuff was kept to her special/awakening so any magical seeming attacks beyond that aren't that far fetched since Minerva exists as a Camilla clone. Plus the falling over actually fits her whole pretending to be dainty thing. Both characters are also popular enough to appease fans even if it's just more Fates stuff. Also - although I'd love Felicia or Jakob, I personally consider them out of the question since they'd require a new weapon type entirely.

Shadow Dragon Pack: I would say Merric, but I feel like he would be treated as a Linde clone and two of the same moveset in a pack doesn't look good at all. So in that case my vote goes to Camus as a lance cavalier. I honestly wish all the DLC packs were able to stick to the Fates pack's honestly rather fair two new and one rehash for character movesets and Camus seems like a great choice. Not only does he make the weapon triangle completely represented on horses, but he also throws a bone to SoV fans since you'd at least get more supports with the same VA as Zeke doing the same voice.

Awakening Pack: This one's hard for me because I'm extremely biased, I'll acknowledge that right away. Inigo is my favorite FE character in general so of course I want him. Even though he's known for swords, they could have also considered making him a Bow Knight. It's not like he hasn't been one in Cipher and it's not like Warriors looks to Cipher for inspiration or anything. I'd personally also have wished for Severa to be in the game as well just because of the Fates and SD crossover support potential, but in this situation it's one over the other and I'd go for Inigo here. If not Inigo, because I'm pretty sure the Warriors team is hesitant about child characters, I say Gaius as a unique thief style sword unit. He's the only top 4 first gen to not be in the game so I feel it's only right for it to otherwise go to him.

I honestly wish those 4 were in the game from the start so we could have had an even more varied roster by now. Cordelia being the only character not important to her game's overall plot at launch kind of sucked, so I wish these DLC packs could have even further expanded to fan favorites from the three games even beyond what they actually have. Even hoping for a Season 2 of DLC would hopefully not tap into these ideas because I think we'd all rather them expand to other games (Celica and Lyn should no longer be alone!). It's still fun to think about what could have been.

For the Fates pack, I would've liked Silas as a lance cav. For Awakening, I'd have liked Lon'qu or Inigo. For SD, I'd have preferred Palla, Abel, or Camus.

Edited by Anacybele

Fates: Mozu and Jakob or Kaze. Yeah, we don't have daggers, but this is only hypothetical anyway. I could see Mozu being unique or copying Oboro.

Shadow Dragon: Honestly, Linde and Minerva were the only SD characters I wanted in the first place. I wouldn't care who else we could get from this game.

Awakening: Sully or Maribelle would be my personal choice, probably more Sully for the new moveset potential.

Fates: Definitely Kaze and Benny, I think. Fates introduced the first foot lancer with Azura, so they could have had the first dagger unit with Kaze and the first armored one with Benny. I know Felicia, Saizo, and Effie would all probably be more popular choices, but Kaze and Benny are two of my favorite characters in Fates.

Shadow Dragon: This one is a bit tougher. I'd love to have seen Nyna, Camus, Gordin, Abel, and others! Ultimately I think I'd go with Merric, I always liked him and his history with Marth.

Awakening: This one is easy for me. Gregor, no contest.

as much as saying a lance cavalier for a replacement for one of em would of been nice, the classes we currently have all have 1 weapon that no NPC uses, (Ignoring the standard footsoldiers in this case) so ill try to limit myself there.

Fates pack: Benny from Norh, and Reinka from Hoshido, these two arn't connected to the Royals from the games so they would have interesting things to say to others about their worlds, Benny would be a nice Lance armored unit to use since there is a moveset for it in game, and Reinka could follow the movesets of a male fighter instead of Lissas fighting style,

Shadow dragon: its tough to say, but I would like to say Hardin, before he turned very evil, it would be nice to get some info about him and his crew when talking to other units, he would most likely be a clone of Xander, but it would be nice to just have more cavaliers to use.

Awakening: If Tharja wasnt there, I would of totally like to say Henry, but since two of the same clones in a pack just seems wrong, I'd like to say it would be Nowi, it would be good to have more dragonstone users just to not have the list be limited to just Tiki only. speaking of she would totally be a Tiki clone.

Those are what I guess they would of picked.

By moveset:

Thief - New moveset involving daggers. Melee and ranged attacks. Ignores the weapon triangle. Strong Attack I and Dual Attack sends out a wave of daggers that lower the defense and resistance of all struck foes; this stacks with Luna.

• Gaius (Awakening) - Very similar stats to Anna. His personal skill is Sweet Tooth, which causes vulneraries to also restore 1 full Warrior gauge and 25% of Awakening Gauge.
  • Kaze (Fates) - A support/pair up thief. Highest strength, skill, and speed. Low luck. Middling hp, defense, and resistance. His personal skill is Miraculous Save, which restores Health and Awakening gauges to the Vanguard partner when Dual Guard triggers. His personal weapon is Kaze's Needle.
  • Jacob/Felicia (Fates, alternate costumes of each other, like with male/female Robin and Corrin) - The magic thieves. Low strength. High magic, luck, and resistance. Middling hp, speed, defense. Can equip staves. Their personal skill is Devoted Partner, which causes Staves to also restore 25% Awakening Gauge; if paired with Lianna's Live to Serve, this will also restore Awakening Gauge to the user. Their personal weapon is Flame Shuriken. 

Lance Paladin - new moveset involving a mounted lance user. Slow, far reaching attacks supplemented by quick jabs. Strong Attack I dashes forward, impaling foes in your path and dragging them to your destination; this can be held to charge further. 

• Camus (Shadow Dragon) - as the pioneer of this moveset, Camus would bring excellent, well rounded stats similar to Xander or Ryoma. His personal skill is Noble Cause, which increases damage output if the user is the Vanguard unit. His personal weapon is Gradivus.

Fighter - new moveset involving standard, non-magical axe infantry. Involves quick, short range Light attacks, while late stage combos involve slower wide sweeps or heavy slams. Strong Attack I spins in place, cleaving foes in all directions and can be held to continue spinning.

• Barst (Shadow Dragon) - Middling strength. High speed, skill, and luck. Low defense, resistance, and magic. His personal skill is Berserk, which boosts Strength, Skill, and Luck by 10 for 30 seconds after landing a critical hit. His personal weapon is Barst's Hatchet.

War Cleric - Lyssa's axe moveset.

• Libra (Awakening) - As compared to Lyssa, Libra would have much higher strength, skill, hp, and defense, slightly lower luck, and much lower magic, speed, and resistance. Can equip staves. His personal weapon is Breath of Life, which has a chance (based on Luck) to restore (1) staff of vulnerary charge on critical hit. His personal weapon is Libra's Axe.

This would equal out to (3) new movesets and (1) clone of an existing moveset. While optimistic, I think it might have been doable, with 3 characters to populate the new dagger moveset. If daggers are to be added, they need to be added in sufficient numbers to justify adding new equipment. I highly disagree with them using swords, as that presents gearing issues. The game already has so many sword characters that valuable skills like Plateslayer are already an excessively rare and precious resource for prf swords. 

The other two new movesets would be valuable if a sequel or further dlc comes to pass, as they are excellent core franchise movesets. Barst's fighter moveset would be a great preparation for Boyd, Nolan, Bartre, Dorcas, or any other warrior; it's too common to not have. The lance paladin moveset would make way for one of the most common unit types in the main franchise. Consider these foundational movesets. 

Edited by Etheus

Fates: I just agree with Florete's choices.  Mozu and a dagger user are who I would want.  Probably would have to be Nohrian, though that's not really bad.  Though Charlotte/Kaden (or Selkie, who I guess is more popular) aren't bad second choices.  I think I'd prefer Benny/Effie and a ninja, though, if Mozu and a Nohrian servant wouldn't do.

'Wakening: I mean, I don't particularly like either of them, but one of the armor knights just so we could have an actual playable armor knight.  Everyone would have their panties in a knot over how slow the armor knight would probably be and he/she would be the one who'd suffer the most from armor breaking, but I like my slow, lumbering characters.  If it has to be a popular character, make it Severa/Inigo as a Bow Knight.

Shadow Dragon: Either Camus or Hardin.  I just like Hardin a lot, but he could be a good lance cavalier.  Camus would probably be the more popular choice, and he probably could have a support with Celica, assuming Celica was still in this game for this supposed hypothetical.

Fates: Arthur (unique Axe), Setsuna (another archer...but I love Setsuna)

Shadow Dragon: I dunno this game well..the remakes art & sprite style turned me off..but I do like Athena from MotE..though I guess for straight SD, I like Catria.

Awakening: Adult Tiki. New moveset, new dragonstone user...and a potential for Tiki x Tiki support and A. Tiki to see her MarMar again.

Fates: Charlotte for Nohr, an alt moveset for Sakura representing Hoshidan Scrolls (since the other options for the moveset are bottom tier in popularity)

SD: Camus, AKA the only missing link in SD's cast and the game's balance.

Awakening:  Gaius. Uses a sword, but has dagger moves like Sheik.

...This is assuming they aren't meant to be clones, yes? Well.

SD: Camus for Lance Paladin moveset

Awakening: Either Gaius for thief moveset or A!Tiki/Nowi for stone moveset.

Fates: Silas for Sword or Lance Paladin moveset and Kaze (would like to see a dagger moveset but they would of most likely given him a sword and be done with it)

For me...

Fates: Kaden and Keaton. Just to introduce beaststones into the game.

SD: Camus. To introduce a Lance Calvary moveset.

Awakening: I want to say Yarne. Because I freaking love the bunny. But who am I kidding? Inigo or Severa would have a better chance then him. But I wouldn't mind having Severa in game to just criticize enemies for being weak and lame or Inigo to have special quotes when beating like pegasus knights and stuff. lol  

Though Severa being in game is something to think about, because then she would have a chance to "kill" her mom, which... is kinda of saddening though. lol

Edited by Legend_of_Zelia

7 hours ago, Legend_of_Zelia said:

Though Severa being in game is something to think about, because then she would have a chance to "kill" her mom, which... is kinda of saddening though. lol

Oh god. Never even thought about this. Lucina can already "kill" her dad and aunt and Owain is going to be able to "kill" his mam soon enough too. Wow that's messed up

I'll just list off who I would want:

Fates
Mozu and Nyx, my two favourite characters. Or Velouria for beast unit representation.
Nyx could have an awesome support with Tharja and Tiki, for instance.

Awakening
Nowi (because bias) and Sumia (it's a shame they picked Cordelia over her, really)

Shadow Dragon
Camus (because he needs to show Xander what a good Camus is like) and one of the Whitewings (I don't really care which one, honestly. I like all three. The other two can appear as assists during special attacks)

I'm assuming this means that everyone currently in as DLC would be part of the base game.

SD:

To stray away from the echo chamber of Camus, I'd say Cain as the Lance Cav. Sure, in recent official artwork, Heroes, and his starting weapon ranks favor swords,  he is still able to use lances, as early art depicts him with them, along with TMS choosing to go that route with a flame element to go with his personality, the potential is already there. 'Course, Hardin would work just as well, especially given that he starts with a much higher lance rank to justify being a lance cav.

Camus on the other hand, for all intents and purposes, is an unrecruitable character, and as such, I could never expect him to be playable. Brought into the game, most definitely, but certainly not playable, if he's going to be the only person on the opposing side that you can use. That is, UNLESS and only unless he was brought in as Zeke, but even that, I find unlikely. Otherwise, there'd need to be more villains for someone like Camus to be playable so that he could at least have some supports within a villain faction

There's a need for a knight, which of them, I'd go with Draug to fill the role. Personally, I'd prefer Horace but that's a reach.

Lastly, and this one's a long shot by a long shot but a personal bias. Xane. I don't care how, FE's only mimic and first troll would be the best thing ever

Awakening:

Right now, Olivia with her back-handed sword is the closest thing to a thief-like moveset that we have. With that in mind, Gaius could be a candidate for that moveset as an actual thief, if Olivia's isn't completely tweaked to herself, like Lissa's is for axe fighters.

Fates:

Really, just throw in Kaze if there needs to be an actual ninja, even if said ninja could also use said potential thief moveset that Gaius could theoretically use.

8 hours ago, AJ Okami said:

Oh god. Never even thought about this. Lucina can already "kill" her dad and aunt and Owain is going to be able to "kill" his mam soon enough too. Wow that's messed up

Even though they treat it like retreating. But the game has all the royal siblings "kill" each other, which is funny, if you make up your own story in your head.

Edited by Legend_of_Zelia

5 hours ago, Motendra said:

Camus on the other hand, for all intents and purposes, is an unrecruitable character, and as such, I could never expect him to be playable.

He's playable both in Gaiden (I saw you mention "Zeke" though, so you know this) and Mystery Book 2/New Mystery.  Not to mention you play as him with his actual identity in Archanea Saga/the bonus chapters in the DS remakes.  Technically, he's only unrecruitable in one out of his four appearances, which is even a smaller unplayable:playable ratio than what any of the Fates characters get.

And technically Ganondorf isn't playable in any Zelda games, yet you're able to play as him in Hyrule Warriors.  Of course, the easy answer is to say that they were padding out the roster there, but still.  I'd say in FEW's case, the main reason the sorcerers aren't playable is because they're unpopular characters who also seem to be clones.  The same could... probably apply to Darios, but mostly because he was an unknown element before FEW came to light.

7 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

He's playable both in Gaiden (I saw you mention "Zeke" though, so you know this) and Mystery Book 2/New Mystery.  Not to mention you play as him with his actual identity in Archanea Saga/the bonus chapters in the DS remakes.  Technically, he's only unrecruitable in one out of his four appearances, which is even a smaller unplayable:playable ratio than what any of the Fates characters get.

And technically Ganondorf isn't playable in any Zelda games, yet you're able to play as him in Hyrule Warriors.  Of course, the easy answer is to say that they were padding out the roster there, but still.  I'd say in FEW's case, the main reason the sorcerers aren't playable is because they're unpopular characters who also seem to be clones.  The same could... probably apply to Darios, but mostly because he was an unknown element before FEW came to light.

Well, yes, but that's under a different alias and at different time periods. At the moment, the time periods available to him in FEW are the War of Shadows where he is on the opposite side of the war and Gaiden, where under amnesia, fights for Rudolf and eventually Alm. It's not so much that he doesn't have the credence available to him with his many appearances, but that the one that matters most (his first appearance as Camus) in the current format of FEW is what works against him. Who could a villain support with, unless there were other villains with him? (Granted, they could always just not give him any supports but where'd the fun be in that?) Being Marth's enemy, he has literally no reason to join. Granted, that is not to say that a reason cannot be created, with him being a knight and his sense of honor that could create a scenario where he and the heroes would have to form some sort of a temporary alliance, much like Hoshido & Nohr is, but that would require more than just a history map to get done. For someone like Camus, something new needs to be created that would not just include him. It could be another story episode, or even an entire new mode involving the opposite side, but as the game is now? I just don't see it, what with Fire Emblem being a character driven series

Zeke, however, would require that Echoes found its way in with Alm and maybe some others. As for Sirius, well, that'd just cause inconsistencies with the rest of the Shadow Dragon cast.

I hope that even made a modicum of sense. I admit I'm a little drowsy at the moment

18 hours ago, Motendra said:

Well, yes, but that's under a different alias and at different time periods. At the moment, the time periods available to him in FEW are the War of Shadows where he is on the opposite side of the war and Gaiden, where under amnesia, fights for Rudolf and eventually Alm. It's not so much that he doesn't have the credence available to him with his many appearances, but that the one that matters most (his first appearance as Camus) in the current format of FEW is what works against him. Who could a villain support with, unless there were other villains with him? (Granted, they could always just not give him any supports but where'd the fun be in that?) Being Marth's enemy, he has literally no reason to join. Granted, that is not to say that a reason cannot be created, with him being a knight and his sense of honor that could create a scenario where he and the heroes would have to form some sort of a temporary alliance, much like Hoshido & Nohr is, but that would require more than just a history map to get done. For someone like Camus, something new needs to be created that would not just include him. It could be another story episode, or even an entire new mode involving the opposite side, but as the game is now? I just don't see it, what with Fire Emblem being a character driven series

Zeke, however, would require that Echoes found its way in with Alm and maybe some others. As for Sirius, well, that'd just cause inconsistencies with the rest of the Shadow Dragon cast.

I hope that even made a modicum of sense. I admit I'm a little drowsy at the moment

Camus isn't actually a villain though. He's a loyal soldier on the wrong side of the war. That doesn't even constitute an anti-villain, frankly, but rather a misplaced hero - the same as the Nohrian siblings. Warriors is/was an opportunity to add depth to his character and the underdeveloped Archanean setting in general by forcing him into a situation in which he has to cooperate with Marth to return home. Having supports with Marth and the others would be fascinating. 

Keep in mind that even Minerva is treated as antagonistic in some supports, as she appears to have been transported from a time before turning her back on Michalis and Macedon. Just look at how she speaks of Archanea in the Linde support.

Edited by Etheus

12 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Camus isn't actually a villain though. He's a loyal soldier on the wrong side of the war. That doesn't even constitute an anti-villain, frankly, but rather a misplaced hero - the same as the Nohrian siblings. Warriors is/was an opportunity to add depth to his character and the underdeveloped Archanean setting in general by forcing him into a situation in which he has to cooperate with Marth to return home. Having supports with Marth and the others would be fascinating. 

Keep in mind that even Minerva is treated as antagonistic in some supports, as she appears to have been transported from a time before turning her back on Michalis and Macedon. Just look at how she speaks of Archanea in the Linde support.

Thing is, the Nohrian royals are able to get away with that because Fates already allows them to, simply for being able to play their side in Conquest, along with said sides coming together in Revelation. Camus unfortunately does not have that luxury. While you bring up an interesting context for him that I agree with, that doesn't change that he is still an enemy. Which is where my point comes from: if he's going to be brought in as the game is currently, only as an enemy does it work. Having him playable just because would be a disservice to his character 

See, that one case is only because Minerva was originally an enemy - just like Camus is - before eventually being recruited. As such, her support with Linde is only natural.

If both Oboro and Niles had made it into the base game, I don't know if I would've wanted a Fates-centered DLC pack. Azura is one of my favorites though..

If we're sticking to the same rules of 3 clones and one character who's partially in the game already..

Fates: Azura, Siegbert (Xander clone), Shiro (Oboro clone)

Shadow Dragon: Linde, Minerva, Draug (~unique moveset, off Knights)

Awakening: Olivia, Tharja, Lon'qu (Ryoma clone)

A Lon'qu + Camilla support would be spectacular. 

If we don't play by the rules:

Fates: Azura, Kaze

Shadow Dragon: Linde, Minerva, Draug (~unique moveset, off Knights), Camus (new moveset)

Awakening: Olivia, Tharja

Echoes: Alm

• 4 weeks later...

For the Fates pack, I would have really liked Hayato.  Or Siegbert and Shiro. 

As for Awakening, I would have really liked Libra. He could’ve been another infantry axe unit (pretty much a Lissa clone with his staff utility buuuut). My biased choice would be Ricken. I know he’s unpopular but I would have really liked him (he’s pretty much like Hayato though, haha). Lon’qu is another character I really liked, so I would’ve liked him as well.

Can’t say anything for Shadow Dragon, since I don’t know those characters.

If there would be an Echoes DLC, I would’ve liked Python or Conrad or Lukas. Not that I’ve played the game yet, but those are the character designs that have really appealed to me.

For Awakening, I would have liked Brady or Maribelle. They would have likely been clones seeing as how the DLC was handled which, while disappointing, at this point I wouldn’t mind too much.

For Fates, Keaton because I still can’t believe beast aren’t represented and Flora (or any hidden weapon user for that matter) for the same reason. Alternatively Rinkah and Benny would be great.

Not very familiar with SD but I do know Xane exists and he was the first character I thought of when the game was announced. Of course he would probably be difficult to implement so lance wielding Jagen is equally appreciated.