Western Animation Thread

Corrobin

Talk about your Last Airbenders and Voltrons and Miraculous Ladybugs and things like that here.

I really liked the Stretch Armstrong Netflix show.

I finished watching a Zorro cartoon on Hulu not long ago. It came out in 2015, but only has 26 episodes as far as I know. Shame, it's a good show and Zorro remains awesome!

My favorite cartoon growing up and even now is Scooby Doo though. Not the new trash, though. Be Cool, Scooby Doo just looks like everyone's on freaking drugs. Wtf is that art style. Classic Scooby Doo though, and even some of the other more recent series, I can rewatch forever!

Edited by Anacybele

4 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I'm currently watching Voltron and King for the Hill. Enjoyable shows.

Never watched the latter and I need to catch up on the former.

King of the Hill was one of a kind, loved that show and have probably seen every episode.

Simpsons first 9 seasons is among the greatest works of art produced in the 20th century, and my favorite show all time, animated or otherwise.

Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman are my favorite current running animated shows, both offer something new and different and are incredibly deep.

I'm going to mention Cartoon Saloon.

They've been around for more than a decade (a collaboration across Ireland, France and Belgium) and are mainly making movies. Did I mention their work is just beautiful? Secret of Kells is a story that works very well, with its surprisingly busy background not detracting from the movie and in some places adding, Song of the Sea actually topped it from a quality standpoint and is up there as an animated favourite of mine and The Breadwinner..... I actually haven't seen yet, it hasn't come out here and has mostly been on the festival circuit up to now. They've also got some series done, though those are aimed at a very young demographic. There's also their shorts that stretch back to the early days as well like this one.

I might say something about series another time, but for now I think I'm good with this. And no, I am not hired by them.

I need to catch up on Adventure Time...which is going to end this year, and that makes me sad. But at least it had a good run, and I'm glad I was able to watch it.

I should also catch up on Steven Universe, missed some episodes of season 5.

I want to watch the Legend of Korra, but...I dunno, is it as good and interesting as Airbender was? Voltron was also made by the Avatar team (iirc), I should watch that soon since its praised a lot.

I also watched some episodes of the old cartoons, like Looney Tunes and the original Tom and Jerry....and damn, the slapstick is just not funny anymore. I guess that was to be expected.

I'm looking forward to Young Justice season 3.

Growing up, I watched Code Lyoko (soooo good), Recess, Sonic Underground and Teen Titans.

And when I was a wee lass, it was the children's shows like Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, etc.

Nowadays I'm not big on western animation, but it's always nice to revisit the childhood shows.

5 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I want to watch the Legend of Korra, but...I dunno, is it as good and interesting as Airbender was?

Legend of Korra isn't as good as Airbender, but that's like saying that getting silver in the olympics isn't as good as getting gold. I'd still recommend it over most other shows out right now.

Now that we're several years out from it, my quick summary:

Season 1 is great, though a little rushed. Looking back, I actually think it's my favorite, though it still has pacing issues.

Season 2 starts strong, but then totally dips off course, but has amazing animation.

Season 3 fixes most of the problems the other seasons had.

Season 4 has a lot of great ideas that they don't commit enough to and end up ruining.

So, watch season 1 (it's pretty short) and if you like it, at least stick through season 3.

12 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I need to catch up on Adventure Time...which is going to end this year, and that makes me sad. But at least it had a good run, and I'm glad I was able to watch it.

I should also catch up on Steven Universe, missed some episodes of season 5.

I want to watch the Legend of Korra, but...I dunno, is it as good and interesting as Airbender was? Voltron was also made by the Avatar team (iirc), I should watch that soon since its praised a lot.

I also watched some episodes of the old cartoons, like Looney Tunes and the original Tom and Jerry....and damn, the slapstick is just not funny anymore. I guess that was to be expected.

I've recently started to finally catch up on Seasons 7 and 8, so I read up and learned the end is actually nigh. Guess we'll soon be able to say the Adventure's over sadly.

On Legend of Korra, I'd say Season 3 is the best season across both shows. The world we see in Korra's actually pretty interesting, though yeah certain plot elements are a bit questionable (like in Season 2). That being said I do like the series overall, take a look into it if you can (Keep in mind, I didn't have nostalgia on TLA as I decided to watch it when I first heard about both shows, watched TLA and then the first season of Korra pretty much around the same time)

I've been thinking a lot about Richard William's The Thief and The Cobbler.

While I appreciate the spirit of the Re-cobbled restoration project, I have to admit that I kind of find the studio version to be an extremely fun movie in its own right. The narration of the Thief is obviously the highlight of movie, and I find that, as impressive as the film is visually, I don't think that the soundtracks used over his sequences can fill the ""empty" screentime and space anywhere near as well as Jonathon Winters's voice. I do think the removal of the Cobbler's monologues and the musicals on the other hand, definately benefit the movie. 

On 3/26/2018 at 4:41 PM, Corrobin said:

Never watched the latter and I need to catch up on the former.

King of the Hill is great. One of the best satires of the American south without being meanspirited about it. It's clear Mike Judge had a lot to comment on, while also clearly being nostalgic, since the show is based on the area and people he grew up around. It says a lot that people thought it was a genuine beacon of promoting wholesome family values, while generally being the opposite. This is from the dude who made Beavis and Butthead and Office Space, after all. But good satire is often hard to discern from the real deal.

That said, I'm not sure how much you'd get out of it if you aren't American. But the show apparently has a decent Fanbase in Japan, and it was a meme factory there a while back. 

Edited by Slumber

I mostly like watching 90s cartoons on Nick Splat..Hey Arnold! has always been one of my favorites ever. Rocko's Modern Life and Rocket Power are great too.  Oh, and not too long ago I started rewatching Static Shock and X Men Evolution, though I've been far too busy to continue with those.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:30 PM, dragonlordsd said:

Legend of Korra isn't as good as Airbender, but that's like saying that getting silver in the olympics isn't as good as getting gold. I'd still recommend it over most other shows out right now.

Now that we're several years out from it, my quick summary:

Season 1 is great, though a little rushed. Looking back, I actually think it's my favorite, though it still has pacing issues.

Season 2 starts strong, but then totally dips off course, but has amazing animation.

Season 3 fixes most of the problems the other seasons had.

Season 4 has a lot of great ideas that they don't commit enough to and end up ruining.

So, watch season 1 (it's pretty short) and if you like it, at least stick through season 3.

Didn't Season 4 had a drop in quality due to not being aired on Nick? Should I still watch it if its you know, still visually appealing to look at?

On 3/28/2018 at 1:27 AM, Dayni said:

On Legend of Korra, I'd say Season 3 is the best season across both shows. The world we see in Korra's actually pretty interesting, though yeah certain plot elements are a bit questionable (like in Season 2). That being said I do like the series overall, take a look into it if you can (Keep in mind, I didn't have nostalgia on TLA as I decided to watch it when I first heard about both shows, watched TLA and then the first season of Korra pretty much around the same time)

I did watch like the first two episodes, not in exact order, of Season 1. I don't really think the way it started is as good as how TLA did, but it definitely has me interested, especially with the more modern/futuristic setting.

I finished the 3rd season of Wakfu, impressive show. I find the series to be underrated compared to other western cartoons. If the series wasn't in French or is easier to find. I'm sure it would have a larger fanbase.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I watched the 6th season of the reboot Voltron. I feel mixed about it because while it had bunch of cool actions scene, there is a lot of unexplained things in this season that are introduced then ignored 5 minutes later. 

Edited by Jingle Jangle