Smash 5 Stage Builder

I realize I might be the only one interested in this to such an extent but I wanted a place to discuss about the Stage Builder since it is a feature I have really enjoyed since its introduction in Brawl.

What I want to know is, how does everyone else feel about the Stage Builder? Is it something you’ve used often? And assuming it makes a comeback in Smash 5, how would you improve it?

I’ll start things of then. As stated. I personally just loved the Stage Builder in Brawl but I really disliked its implementation in WiiU/3DS. Being able to draw the stage and not being confined by blocks for the majority of your creation was a step forward. I also liked the better variety in backgrounds and being able to change the texture of the platforms. That’s kinda where it ends though. It lacked lots of the customization that made the Brawl version fun. No treadmill, falling platforms, slippery surfaces, spikes, ladders. It’s just missing so much and it seems like odd omissions when all of that was already implemented.

The way I would improve it is simple. Use the Stage Builder from Brawl as the base, incorporate the good things from WiiU/3DS version (platform textures, varied backgrounds, lava, free-form), and continue adding from there.

One thing I’d want to see implemented is the ability of having whatever hazards are on your stage become danger zones just like in The Great Cave Offensive. Also, platforms that disappear/appear over time making the stage bigger/smaller than how it originally started. Or platforms that stretch out becoming long and flat and then condense becoming shorter and blockier.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Being able to draw the stage and not being confined by blocks for the majority of your creation was a step forward.

Honestly, i kinda disagree. I remember feeling more restricted when my options were to draw the stage as opposed to build it. When comparing the two, i was able to be a lot more creative with Brawl's Stage Builder whereas Smash 4's Stage Builder was only good for creating "no tech zone" stages.

I think the best course of action though would just be to merge the two. Give me preset blocks but also let people draw the stages if they want. 

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Honestly, i kinda disagree. I remember feeling more restricted when my options were to draw the stage as opposed to build it. When comparing the two, i was able to be a lot more creative with Brawl's Stage Builder whereas Smash 4's Stage Builder was only good for creating "no tech zone" stages.

I think the best course of action though would just be to merge the two. Give me preset blocks but also let people draw the stages if they want. 

Oh I definitely agree. Ideally they should both be included as opposed to just one or the other. In fact, since Nintendo doesn’t seem too big on pushing the touchscreen functionality of the Switch, I’d imagine only the preset blocks would come back if they had to choose just one. I’m not too sure what the chances of the draw feature are of returning since I can’t imagine it working well with joy sticks.

Ironically I feel like the free-form drawing is more limited than assembling a stage out of blocks.

I'd be fine with bringing back Brawl's stage builder but with additional custom parts and features, and more variety in block shape than just squares and a handful of slopes.

I'm also kinda bitter that it's harder to create the Box of Doom in Wii U's Stage Builder.

Edited by Anomalocaris

27 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

@Anomalocaris If I may ask, what’s the Box of Doom?

A small, 1x4 box (interior dimensions; exterior would be 3x6) whose roof is made out of spikes.

Because the top is made of spikes, the only four valid spawn points are the four empty spaces inside the box, which is inescapable. Put a few level 9 computers in there and watch them flail about, quickly knocking each other up to 999% damage and bouncing all over each other and the walls, but never being able to score any KOs. Bonus points if the stage theme is either unfittingly intense or unfittingly serene.

Not my cruelest stage but I got some good times out of it.

Edited by Anomalocaris

I want a stage builder more like Brawl but with more themed pieces taken from different Nintendo games, like warp pipes, barrel cannons, destructible walls, etc. Not to mention more materials to choose from rather than generic stone. I'd like to be able to build castles out of bricks, ships out of wood, or use tech paneling for sci-fi facilities.

I want water mechanics available. Swimming and water is rarely used in stages and it’d be fun to experiment with that. And also, after swimming for a while your character just sinks and falls, but what if there was a platform under the water? Would the character just go through it? Get stuck there? Walk normally on it? So many questions with water and all because it’s underused.

@Lord_Brand Pipes sound like a blast! Being able to place pipes and moving to different areas of the stage like that. Maybe even have it so only parts of the stage are accessible through pipes. It’s really neat.