Should FE4's hypothetical remake follow the manga?

Guest Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi

I haven't played Genealogy of the Holy war yet so I know next to nothing about the story save for the one plot point that keeps getting spoiled by dumb memes, but I've heard from the FE Wiki that the Manga for Genealogy of the Holy War expands on the plot, characters and world so I thought I'd ask those of you who've played FE4 if a potential remake game should adapt that manga or if you'd be satisfied with an expansion of the game itself.

Feel free to let me know if there's already been an ask like this.

Edited by Dreamyboi

56 minutes ago, Dreamyboi said:

I haven't played Genealogy of the Holy war yet so I know next to nothing about the story save for the one plot point that keeps getting spoiled by dumb memes, but I've heard from the FE Wiki that the Manga for Genealogy of the Holy War expands on the plot, characters and world so I thought I'd ask those of you who've played FE4 if a potential remake game should adapt that manga or if you'd be satisfied with an adaptation of the game itself.

Feel free to let me know if there's already been an ask like this.

Some elements borrow from manga could work, but a full manga adaption will not be good.

Because, depend on which manga you're referring to, some playable character was removed completely for no reason.

Edited by hanhnn

1 hour ago, hanhnn said:

Because, depend on which manga you're referring to, some playable character was removed completely for no reason.

Two, actually. The O-sawa Mitsuki manga, iirc, cut out both Holyn and Beowulf. In the latter's case, the wiki said the author "did not like Beowulf, hence he was cut out". 

25 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Two, actually. The O-sawa Mitsuki manga, iirc, cut out both Holyn and Beowulf. In the latter's case, the wiki said the author "did not like Beowulf, hence he was cut out". 

That'd make it tricky explaining Diarmuid and Fergus. 

Holyn could be cut, but I'd rather him not get cut. It'd seem weird for a member of the Isaach royal family to just vanish, even if he isn't part of the main family like Ayra and doesn't play into the story at all. 

Edited by Slumber

Well, the expansion on plot details and stuff should be done regardless but i would like them to use the O-sawa Mitsuki manga adaptation of Sigurd so he could actually be interesting for once.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

That'd make it tricky explaining Diarmuid and Fergus. 

Holyn could be cut, but I'd rather him not get cut. It'd seem weird for a member of the Isaach royal family to just vanish, even if he isn't part of the main family like Ayra and doesn't play into the story at all. 

I'm pretty sure they won't cut Holyn nor Beowulf. That also eliminates the problem of Diarmud and Fergus.

I wouldn't be a fan. They can incorporate some aspects like Shanan trying to save Deirdre or their depiction of Jungby's lord but they should stay clear of the villain characterizations. 

The biggest problem with the manga is that the villains get turned so sympathetic that it starts getting out of character. Lex and Langobalt shouldn't end on decent terms. Lex himself tells Azel his dad had it coming and Langobalt never liked Lex or his other son. Game Langobalt already had his redeeming trait in that family fighting family disgusts him , which is something he holds both allies like Andrew and enemies like Lex to account for. 

Both game and manga have Reptor care for Tailtiu but what defines Reptor is that he's fully prepared to kill his daughter for the sake of Freege despite that  love while the manga had Reptor change his ways because of his daughter. 

Some manga charethrization would improve the game, but a game has fundamenteally differnt pacing than a managa.

No one's going to comlpain about the massive overhaul for Eldigan, but the absurd de-centralizating and following around side charatahters at the start of gen 2 is a complete no in video game format.

The manga cut my boy Beowulf from the story entirely. And Beowulf is bro.

Also adapting the manga would mean altering Lachesis as a character. In the Oosawa manga, Lachesis doesn't just have a crush on her half brother like in the game, the two are straight up mutually in love, and almost "do it" at one point. Another thing that would change is her relationship with Beowulf. Beowulf is her canon husband, the only reason she gets with Finn in the manga is because in the game she cheats on her husband with Finn in the game.

Also the manga removed Chulain, and no Chulain means no major Od blood ridiculousness for Larcei and Ulster. His relationship with Ayra is really nice in FE4 I might add, be disappointing to lose that.

To put things simply, adapting the manga would alter the story and game in a few ways that would be disappointing.

Edited by CatManThree

3 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

Beowulf is her canon husband, the only reason she gets with Finn in the manga is because in the game she cheats on her husband with Finn.

Was this actually confirmed? Beowulf is likely to be Lachesis's canon husband but considering that Lachesis can be paired up with anyone else in the game makes it debateable. 

Meanwhile, in Thracia 776, Finn is the father of Nanna, which would mean he's Lachesis's husband (or maybe Nanna just considers him a father figure? Dunno, I haven't played the game, only read the wiki).

As far as I am aware FE4 doesn't mention of Lachesis cheating on Beowulf, and I don't think its mentioned in Thracia 776 either.

Guest Dreamyboi
5 hours ago, hanhnn said:

Some elements borrow from manga could work, but a full manga adaption will not be good.

Ah, alright. That makes sense.

Just now, Flee Fleet! said:

Was this actually confirmed? Beowulf is likely to be Lachesis's canon husband but considering that Lachesis can be paired up with anyone else in the game makes it debateable. 

Have you read Beowulf and Lachesis' lover conversation? It covers the whole thing.

Spoiler

Lachesis:
“Beowulf…”

Beowulf:
“Lachesis, if anything were to happen to me, I want you to go to Lenster. Fin is there with Cuan’s children. Give him a hand, okay?”

Lachesis:
“How could you say that? When we go, we’ll go together!”

Beowulf:
“Lachesis, I’ve got a confession to make.”

Lachesis:
“Hm?”

Beowulf:
“I’ve known your true feelings all along.”

Lachesis:
“What…!”

Beowulf:
“Take good care of yourself. It was mighty nice while it lasted.”

Lachesis:
“Wait! Beowolf!”

1 hour ago, CatManThree said:

Have you read Beowulf and Lachesis' lover conversation? It covers the whole thing.

Reveal hidden contents

Lachesis:
“Beowulf…”

Beowulf:
“Lachesis, if anything were to happen to me, I want you to go to Lenster. Fin is there with Cuan’s children. Give him a hand, okay?”

Lachesis:
“How could you say that? When we go, we’ll go together!”

Beowulf:
“Lachesis, I’ve got a confession to make.”

Lachesis:
“Hm?”

Beowulf:
“I’ve known your true feelings all along.”

Lachesis:
“What…!”

Beowulf:
“Take good care of yourself. It was mighty nice while it lasted.”

Lachesis:
“Wait! Beowolf!”

Oh, right, this. I forgot about it, my bad.

Its sort of ambiguous but it does imply that Lachesis had feelings for Finn (or Beowulf thinks so). The only odd part is, iirc, how Lachesis and Finn don't interact with each other at all in FE4, so it makes it weird why she would have feelings for Finn. 

Or maybe Beowulf meant Eldigan, but he's dead, so I'm not sure.

46 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Oh, right, this. I forgot about it, my bad.

Its sort of ambiguous but it does imply that Lachesis had feelings for Finn (or Beowulf thinks so). The only odd part is, iirc, how Lachesis and Finn don't interact with each other at all in FE4, so it makes it weird why she would have feelings for Finn. 

Or maybe Beowulf meant Eldigan, but he's dead, so I'm not sure.

They join in the same chapter. Good enough for the 90s!  *cough* still better than LibraxCordelia stacking crates *cough*

They definitely didn't mean Eldigan though, given he directly tells her to go to Leinster. There's also the matter that Delmud, her other child, can use the Beo Sword, even though Nanna calls Finn her father. 

I recently read the manga all the way up to ch. 64 and while I'd say it has some good characterization moments I agree with Etrurian Emperor that some villains were portrayed overly sympathetic.

It's the reason why I really didn't like the entire adaptation of chapter 5 at all except for the penultimate moment between Manfroy vs Lewin and Sigurd vs Alvis. I also really didn't like how the mangaka introduced that weird crush Travant had on Ethlyn. Travant was a fine Villian, some people consider him better than Arvis, there was really no need to add that weird crush sub plot.

Aside from that I wouldn't mind some manga stuff to be added to the game like the first few Seliph chapters. Seliph really shines in those.

There already was an FE4 manga, but no. That doesn't make sense to me. If you are going to remake something, an adaption to another medium is not very sensible. 

Ever since FE 15 people never shut up about remakes, but we have 16 coming soon, we should focus on that instead of these ridiculous beliefs of FE 6 remake and 4 remake or whatever.  Plus we already have an FE 4 remake. 

11 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

I recently read the manga all the way up to ch. 64 and while I'd say it has some good characterization moments I agree with Etrurian Emperor that some villains were portrayed overly sympathetic.

It's the reason why I really didn't like the entire adaptation of chapter 5 at all except for the penultimate moment between Manfroy vs Lewin and Sigurd vs Alvis. I also really didn't like how the mangaka introduced that weird crush Travant had on Ethlyn. Travant was a fine Villian, some people consider him better than Arvis, there was really no need to add that weird crush sub plot.

Aside from that I wouldn't mind some manga stuff to be added to the game like the first few Seliph chapters. Seliph really shines in those.

I haven't read it, but sounds like making Travant fancy Ethlyn would kind of ruin his character. They make it pretty ambigious in the game as to wether he raised Altenna purely because he wanted to harness the power of Gae Bolg, or if he just didn't want to murder a child. Making it so he likes Ethlyn (whom he doesn't even call by name when he encounters in the actual game) suggests that the only reason he'd want to raise Altenna was because it's Ethlyn's child. So if it was any other baby, they could just die in the desert sun. Which just makes him a shallower character. Then again, I do like the SnapexLilly plot in Harry Potter (then again again...Snape didn't personally murder Lilly as I imagine Travant still does in the manga) and haven't read the manga, so what do I know?

5 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

Plus we already have an FE 4 remake. 

Eh? Where?

Edited by Jotari

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I haven't read it, but sounds like making Travant fancy Ethlyn would kind of ruin his character. They make it pretty ambigious in the game as to wether he raised Altenna purely because he wanted to harness the power of Gae Bolg, or if he just didn't want to murder a child. Making it so he likes Ethlyn (whom he doesn't even call by name when he encounters in the actual game) suggests that the only reason he'd want to raise Altenna was because it's Ethlyn's child. So if it was any other baby, they could just die in the desert sun. Which just makes him a shallower character. Then again, I do like the SnapexLilly plot in Harry Potter (then again again...Snape didn't personally murder Lilly as I imagine Travant still does in the manga) and haven't read the manga, so what do I know?

I went to the wiki and found this. 

Spoiler

Travant is portrayed as having one-sided romantic feelings for Ethlyn, who finds him in a river and saves him from death some time before the Yied Massacre. Unaware that she is Quan's wife, he attempts to kiss her, and she responds to this by becoming upset and fleeing. This results in Ethlyn being terrified of him, and in the end, she never tells Quan about Travant's romantic pursuit of her. It is also established that his son, Arion, was born from a "fit of passion" and mothered by a woman who was not married to him, and that the only reason that Travant claimed him is that the markings of Dain appeared on his body. During the Yied Massacre, Travant did not personally take Altenna hostage or demand Quan to drop the Gae Bolg, a random Wyvern Rider did the first deed while Quan offered to do the latter by himself instead of being threatened. Ethlyn instead died by committing suicide after Quan, and moved by this act, Travant decided to honor her death by adopting Altenna and raising her as his own daughter, unlike in the game where the only reason he'd raise Altenna was so he could have someone using the Gae Bolg on his side.

I also like Snape and Lilly but I think that the relationship between those two work because there's a lot of backstory between the two. Travant and Ethlyn not so much.

41 minutes ago, Jotari said:

They definitely didn't mean Eldigan though, given he directly tells her to go to Leinster. There's also the matter that Delmud, her other child, can use the Beo Sword, even though Nanna calls Finn her father.

There's still some ambiguity about who are Nanna and Diarmud's fathers. Both could have had Beowulf or Finn as a father before the Belhalla Massacre, or Finn may have had Nanna with Lachesis after the Massacre.

Also, searching through the internet I found this post on Gamefaqs regarding Lachesis and her children. I quote:

Spoiler

IS actually addressed this whole issue with a page in the 20th anniversary artbook, presumably because it still makes so many people upset. On the page where Finn's profile is given, there's an insert featuring a screen cap "I know your true feelings" scene between Beo and Raquie in FE4. The caption is something like "This scene is troubling, isn't it?" and goes on to assure the reader that Nanna acknowledges Finn as her father in the sense of *the one who raised her* but that she and Delmud were sired by whatever dude you paired Raquesis with in FE4-- Beo, Finn, Dew, Noish, Lewyn, whomever.

The idea that Raquesis was cheating on Beowulf with Finn and that Nanna was the result of that affair doesn't have any support in canon anywhere. There's a lot of different notes and timelines and artbook material from the FE4/5 design team and it's clear that they changed a LOT of stuff about Raquesis and her kids over the years. Early material has Raquesis pregnant with Nanna at the time of the Belhalla massacre, joining up with Finn after Nanna is born, and disappearing when Nanna was three. Later material has Raquesis giving birth to Nanna in Leonster, the calendar year *after* Belhalla, and staying with Finn until Nanna was about eight or nine. And now we have the artbook saying basically "ship whatever u want lol we're not telling."

Raquesis is indeed a strong and righteous woman and, if anything, Finn appears to have walked out on *her* for reasons that are never explained.

I can't really confirm what the post said since I don't have the 20th anniversary book nor I found a link for it (well, yet), but I decided to post it anyways as it may be an interesting read...

Edited by Flee Fleet!

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Eh? Where?

BS FE BABBBBBYYYYYY

3 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Meanwhile, in Thracia 776, Finn is the father of Nanna, which would mean he's Lachesis's husband (or maybe Nanna just considers him a father figure? Dunno, I haven't played the game, only read the wiki).

Diarmuid, Lachesis' son, in Thracia 776 has the ability to wield the Beo Sword. This is a trait he shares with only one other character, that being Fergus, who is rumored to supposedly be a bastard son of Beowulf. Since Nanna can not wield the blade, this implies that Nanna is the daughter of Finn, and Diarmuid is the son of Beowulf.

Edited by CatManThree

41 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

There's still some ambiguity about who are Nanna and Diarmud's fathers. Both could have had Beowulf or Finn as a father before the Belhalla Massacre, or Finn may have had Nanna with Lachesis after the Massacre.

Also, searching through the internet I found this post on Gamefaqs regarding Lachesis and her children. I quote:

Hide contents

IS actually addressed this whole issue with a page in the 20th anniversary artbook, presumably because it still makes so many people upset. On the page where Finn's profile is given, there's an insert featuring a screen cap "I know your true feelings" scene between Beo and Raquie in FE4. The caption is something like "This scene is troubling, isn't it?" and goes on to assure the reader that Nanna acknowledges Finn as her father in the sense of *the one who raised her* but that she and Delmud were sired by whatever dude you paired Raquesis with in FE4-- Beo, Finn, Dew, Noish, Lewyn, whomever.

The idea that Raquesis was cheating on Beowulf with Finn and that Nanna was the result of that affair doesn't have any support in canon anywhere. There's a lot of different notes and timelines and artbook material from the FE4/5 design team and it's clear that they changed a LOT of stuff about Raquesis and her kids over the years. Early material has Raquesis pregnant with Nanna at the time of the Belhalla massacre, joining up with Finn after Nanna is born, and disappearing when Nanna was three. Later material has Raquesis giving birth to Nanna in Leonster, the calendar year *after* Belhalla, and staying with Finn until Nanna was about eight or nine. And now we have the artbook saying basically "ship whatever u want lol we're not telling."

Raquesis is indeed a strong and righteous woman and, if anything, Finn appears to have walked out on *her* for reasons that are never explained.

I can't really confirm what the post said since I don't have the 20th anniversary book nor I found a link for it (well, yet), but I decided to post it anyways as it may be an interesting read...

But then why can't Nanna use the Beo Sword? Is it a sexist weapon? I've hear the suggestion before that Nanna only means adoptive father when she calls Fin that, but I find it particularly strange, since Leif's in the exact same situation as Finn and he doesn't call Finn father on a first name basis (even though he does consider Finn his father). Mahybe it's just meant to be a quirk of Nanna's but I think other people, including one of the chapter opening narrations, call Nanna his daughter and Leif is never referred to in the same way, even though he has just as much cause to be.

43 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

BS FE BABBBBBYYYYYY

Eh... Do you mean Archanea Saga? Because that's the only BS Fire Emblem I know of and as the name implies, that takes place in Archanea.

48 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

Diarmuid, Lachesis' son, in Thracia 776 has the ability to wield the Beo Sword. This is a trait he shares with only one other character, that being Fergus, who is rumored to supposedly be a bastard son of Beowulf. Since Nanna can not wield the blade, this implies that Nanna is the daughter of Finn, and Diarmuid is the son of Beowulf.

34 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But then why can't Nanna use the Beo Sword? Is it a sexist weapon?

Yeah, that's one thing I don't understand. 

This is something I wish could be explained in a FE4 remake. Like, maybe a support convo between Delmud and Fergus about the Beo Sword or about their fathers or something. 

38 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I've hear the suggestion before that Nanna only means adoptive father when she calls Fin that, but I find it particularly strange, since Leif's in the exact same situation as Finn and he doesn't call Finn father on a first name basis (even though he does consider Finn his father).

I'm pretty sure Finn told Leif that he's the son of Quan and how's he the prince of Leonster, hence why Leif doesn't call him a father. I mean, it would be pretty weird of a knight to make the child of the person he once served to consider him as his father.

45 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Mahybe it's just meant to be a quirk of Nanna's but I think other people, including one of the chapter opening narrations, call Nanna his daughter and Leif is never referred to in the same way, even though he has just as much cause to be.

I also think that people would be aware of Leif being the prince of Leonster, hence why he's not considered as Finn's son. Then again I haven't played Thracia 776, so I'm not sure how many are aware he's the prince. As for the chapter opening narration you mentioned, well, I dunno about that either, sorry.

26 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I'm pretty sure Finn told Leif that he's the son of Quan and how's he the prince of Leonster, hence why Leif doesn't call him a father. I mean, it would be pretty weird of a knight to make the child of the person he once served to consider him as his father.

I also think that people would be aware of Leif being the prince of Leonster, hence why he's not considered as Finn's son. Then again I haven't played Thracia 776, so I'm not sure how many are aware he's the prince. As for the chapter opening narration you mentioned, well, I dunno about that either, sorry.

I should have prempeted this response, because I saw it coming. Yes, that makes sense. Leif needs to remember and know who he is as the heir of Leinster. And if Nanna was a handful of other kids, it'd make sense. But Nanna is just as much royalty as Leif is. She's a princess of Nordion. Treating Leif one way and Nanna the other is just sort of disrespectful to Austria. I mean, it still would make sense as Finn isn't from Agustria and is more concerned about Munster, but it would bring him down in my eyes if that was the case (plus I just generally like the affair implication as it's more *pause* dramatic, and kind of makes a stance of "None of your pairings are inherently inferior, because some of the canon pairings are outright impossible").

Also, on the matter of other characters referncing Nanna as Finn's daughter.

On the World Map

After escaping with his life from the collapsing Lenster Castle, Leaf, together with his loyal knight Finn and his daughter Nanna, proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces and take control of Northern Thracia.

Wiseman:
“No worries, my lord. We have already taken Eyvel’s daughter hostage. We’ve also captured the daughter of Finn, the knight defending the prince. They’ll have no choice but to give in to us now.”

Reidric:
“Ha, stoutness is cute as well. And the other one… Ah, so you’re Finn’s daughter. I understand your mother is a princess from Nodion. I see you haven’t lost your dignity living in a place like this.”

I think that's meant to heavily imply that Finn is believed to be Nanna's father. The chapter narration has no reason to lie to us, and Reidric would have said something along the lines of your birth mother or your real mother if they wanted to imply Finn was an adoptive parent. It's certainly still not impossible to believe the affair isn't a thing (it should be noted that Maretta, mentioned in the same breath as Nanna, isn't actually Eyvel's biological daughter), but Thracia does certainly seem to be trying to imply that Finn is Nanna's father and Beowolf is Delmud's.

Edited by Jotari

54 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I should have prempeted this response, because I saw it coming. Yes, that makes sense. Leif needs to remember and know who he is as the heir of Leinster. And if Nanna was a handful of other kids, it'd make sense. But Nanna is just as much royalty as Leif is. She's a princess of Nordion. Treating Leif one way and Nanna the other is just sort of disrespectful to Austria. I mean, it still would make sense as Finn isn't from Agustria and is more concerned about Munster, but it would bring him down in my eyes if that was the case (plus I just generally like the affair implication as it's more *pause* dramatic, and kind of makes a stance of "None of your pairings are inherently inferior, because some of the canon pairings are outright impossible").

Oh, I didn't think of that. If that's the case, then I assume Nanna does know she's the princess and her canon father is also Finn. 

56 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Also, on the matter of other characters referncing Nanna as Finn's daughter.

On the World Map

After escaping with his life from the collapsing Lenster Castle, Leaf, together with his loyal knight Finn and his daughter Nanna, proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces and take control of Northern Thracia.

Wiseman:
“No worries, my lord. We have already taken Eyvel’s daughter hostage. We’ve also captured the daughter of Finn, the knight defending the prince. They’ll have no choice but to give in to us now.”

Reidric:
“Ha, stoutness is cute as well. And the other one… Ah, so you’re Finn’s daughter. I understand your mother is a princess from Nodion. I see you haven’t lost your dignity living in a place like this.”

I think that's meant to heavily imply that Finn is believed to be Nanna's father. The chapter narration has no reason to lie to us, and Reidric would have said something along the lines of your birth mother or your real mother if they wanted to imply Finn was an adoptive parent. It's certainly still not impossible to believe the affair isn't a thing (it should be noted that Maretta, mentioned in the same breath as Nanna, isn't actually Eyvel's biological daughter), but Thracia does certainly seem to be trying to imply that Finn is Nanna's father and Beowolf is Delmud's.

Yeah, this heavily implies that Finn is Nanna's father, specially Reidric's dialogue and the Opening Narration. I guess this solidifies the whole "Lachesis cheated on Beowulf for Finn" theory more.

This is still somewhat confusing, so I hope a remake can actually confirm for us who the real father is for Nanna and Delmud. And maybe Fergus- his dad is likely Beowulf so it would be interesting how Beo ended up having him.